Time to Celebrate

by Meghann on June 8, 2012

My little sister is getting MARRIED in two weeks! eeekkkk!!!

We have a lot to celebrate this weekend in Kelly’s honor. Not only does her bachelorette festivities kick off tomorrow evening (she requested a one night bachelorette party instead of a whole weekend), but today marked her last day of school as a first year teacher. That’s right – she made it through one solid year as a 10th grade history teacher and lived to tell the tale. Go, Kelly!

We celebrated the end of the school year (her fiance is a teacher, too!) at their favorite place – Mellow Mushroom.

You can’t go wrong with Mellow Mushroom. Good beer, good food, and great atmosphere. Perfect for a casual Friday night out.

We had a bit of a wait for our table and decided to use up that wait at the bar. I spotted the Cigar City ESB on the specials board and decided to give it a try. The ESB was bitter, but I like bitter and liked this beer.

Cheers! Here’s to two weeks of distraction-free wedding planning!

We didn’t have to wait long for our table. Just enough to grab our beers and do a single cheers before hearing our name called.

Hunger was our main concern, so we ordered some “Mellow Balls” to munch on while reviewing the menu. The “Mellow Balls” were mini pizza dough balls that were drenched in garlic and butter and topped with parmesan. Soooooo good.

I tried not to fill up on Mellow Balla because I knew I wanted pizza. Kelly, Anthony, and I split the large Mediterranean pizza with tempeh instead of chicken. It was very cheesy and greasy. I wish it had more toppings, but it was otherwise pretty tasty.

There was actually an error with our original order. The server had punched the wrong pizza type in the system and we were initially served a holy shitake pizza with tempeh instead of the mediterrean. Since the pizza was already made, the manager offered to box up the incorrect pizza for us to take home while they baked the correct version. Free large pizza? We’ll take it!

IMG_4756.jpg

I see a pizza heavy lunch in my future. ;)

The girls split from the guys at this point with the plan of going home and watching The Vow. Good plan, but we decided we wanted Jeremiah’s instead.

One P-nutty and Cake Batter Italian Ice later….

we spent too much time talking in the car and ended up missing our movie window. Oopss. No biggie. I’m sure we can get a group of girls together to watch it again in the near future. ;)

Oh, and I should mention that by “missing the movie window” I mean it got to be 10:30 and we decided it was too late to start a movie that we would all fall asleep during. Yep, we’re old.

Kelly is sleeping on the couch next to me. I’ll take that as a sign I should catch up on my Zzzs too.

Rest up while you can, Kelly. Tomorrow night is going to be crazy. ;)

Good Night!

1 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 9, 2012 at 12:18 am

Go Kelly!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Fig Olive Raincoast Crisps

2 Pam June 9, 2012 at 12:33 am

Aww, looks like a great night – congrats to Kelly on finishing her first year of teaching – I’m sure that was no small feat!

3 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets June 9, 2012 at 12:47 am

There is nothing better than the garlic balls at Mellow Mushroom!!
Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets recently posted..When your favorite Mexican place goes bad PART TWO

4 Emily S. June 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

Hey Meghann,
I’m a faithful reader of your blog and know that you love fitness and anything fitness related… A friend of mine just came out with a fitness application called Fitness Friend on the Iphone App store. It’s a really simple motivational fun app :))) And no, this isn’t spam, just recommending a fitness help to a fellow fitness foodie! :))

Emily

5 Sana June 9, 2012 at 1:27 am

Ahhh! So excited for Kelly!
Sana recently posted..A Super Magical Run

6 Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities June 9, 2012 at 6:56 am

I actually watched The Vow somewhat recently. It was good, but I absolutely hated the female lead. I’m not gonna say why because I’m not gonna spoil it, but Channing Tatum’s character deserved way better than her in my opinion.
Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities recently posted..“When the Moon Hits Your Eye

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 9, 2012 at 6:59 am

Ahhhh I LOVE Mellow! I went all the time in Charleston, but they don’t have that out here in the midwest!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HAPPY BIRTHDAY

8 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 9, 2012 at 7:20 am

Congrats to Kelly! I’m with you on the movie window! Any later than 10:30 and I know I’ll be falling asleep during the movie!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Turkey Bolognese

9 Laura June 9, 2012 at 8:15 am

I just finished my seventh year teaching, and my husband just finished his fifth…but I remember how sweet the first summer off was! Congratulations to your sister and her fiance!

10 Hillary June 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

A big congrats to Kelly on finishing out the school year! I’m a teacher too (and yesterday was also my last day!), so I know the relief that washes over you at the end of every year!
Hillary recently posted..27

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

Mellow Mushroom and Jeremiahs always look SO good! I feel like I need to go to Florida just to eat there!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Date Night {Arami}

12 Kari June 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

when you said “missed our movie window” that is exactly what I thought you meant haha. I’m old too. 9 pm? omg better go to bed.
Kari recently posted..#7 Donate Blood: Check!

13 Courtney June 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

Those little dough balls look divine! Also the “movie window” thing is perfect… I totally do that sometimes :P
Courtney recently posted..Nail Polish Jar

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Looks like a great evening! And who doesn’t love a free pizza followed by italian ice?!? Movie watching can always be rescheduled in my book..
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Calorie Counting

15 stacey June 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love the dress you are wearing. Where did you get it?

16 Meghann June 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s from Old Navy :)

17 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

So fun. I love wedding-related weekend activities! Enjoy every moment. That’s nice that they let you take home the “wrong” pizza. I feel like most places wouldn’t necessarily do that. They clearly are a good example of what to do right.
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..I, um, confused