Pig Post

by Meghann on June 8, 2012

I’ve run a lot of races in my time and I always appreciate it when races take the time to do something unique and special for their event. What I loved best about running Flying Pig last month is that they really do take the time to make their race as unique and memorable as possible. From the adorable piggy-theme (this year was “PIGLITICALLY CORRECT”), to the poster and really nice gym bag you picked up at registration, to the double sided medal – there were a lot of great touches that made this race stand out.

And to take it one step further, I received something in my inbox this morning for something I’ve never seen offered after any other race, but thought was such a great idea: custom finisher shirts with your name, bib number, and finish time.

Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 2.59.30 PM.png

How cute is that? They offer the finisher shirts in all of the events (5k, 10k, half, full) and you have the choice to fill in the blanks with what ever you want.

Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 3.02.46 PM.png

The $34.99 price tag really isn’t that bad for a custom tech tee, but I wish they had a slightly cheaper cotton option. :)

Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 3.02.59 PM.png

The only problem is I have a zillion race tech tees that I really never wear since I prefer to run in tank tops. I wish they had a cotton option, that I might be up for in the women’s cut. hmmm… it is tempting to put my 3:56 PR on a shirt though. ;)

Have you ever seen custom finisher shirts before? Would you order one?

I feel like lately I have two fallbacks for lunches: hummus + pita and eggs. Yesterday was hummus, today was eggs. :)

At least I dress the eggs up. Scrambled in the two eggs you’ll find green olives, tomato, spinach, and green onions. Yum.

With a side of cucumber and tomatoes drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar.

And baked millet pita chips.

Not a bad lunch for someone who is heading out of town as soon as I hit publish!

My sister’s bachelorette weekend festivities kick-off tonight with some low-key activities, followed by some not-so-low key activities tomorrow night.

I’ve already been prepping for the not-so-low key ones. ;)

diptic_1339179937995.jpg

The “drunken bears” have been soaking since Wednesday. Can’t wait to try them! ;)

I thought it would be fun to soak some sour patch kids too. Thoughts?

1 Rachael @ Ready to Get Sweaty June 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I made the gummy bears last year for a party and they were a HUGE hit! I wonder if the sour would “melt – for lack of a better word” off of the sour patch kids…worth a try, maybe just a shorter soaking period?

2 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride June 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Ohhh fun I used to love making drunken gummy bears in college! I recently did it with pineapple and it was pretty tasty :) I wonder if sour patch kids would soak it in as much, I say try it!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Short runs & Nightmares

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

omg please let us know how the bears turn out! I love that idea! And I’ve never seen a custom finisher tee before, however I’ve also never run a marathon before either!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HAPPY BIRTHDAY

4 Maggie June 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

one time my friends and i made drunken gummy bears, and they soaked up the alcohol and expanded to become HUGE and really gummy! also, don’t toss the liquid they’re soaking in-it’s going to be really sugary but we “re-used” it as a mixer for our next round of drinks :)

5 Hillary June 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I would TOTALLY buy that shirt. What a fun, memorable idea!

And “rummy bears” as we called them in college were a staple back in the day ; )

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Never tried alcohol-soaked gummi bears, but they sound yummy!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One Lovely Blog

7 AmyC June 8, 2012 at 5:33 pm

You should buy the shirt to show off that time!
AmyC recently posted..National Running Day

8 Sandy June 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I love the finisher’s shirt idea and have never seen any other race that does that. The drunken bear idea is great. Let us know how they turn out!

9 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love the idea of a custom finisher shirt, never gotten one of those before! I’m a fan of the tech tees, and am always excited to get one when I sign up for a race :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Hawaiian Sweet Bread Pudding

10 CampingGirl June 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I would be interested to know if the “sour” washes off of the sour patch kids while the soak.
CampingGirl recently posted..First Weigh In

11 SkinnyRunner June 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm

ive never made gummy bears like that and am wondering why right now. but i did make jello shots with that same sort of whipped vodka and they were amazing.

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Sour patch kids would be fantastic! I don’t have an event to make them any time soon so would it be bad if I just made them for myself? :)
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..#MOVE Friday and Larabar Winner

13 JillyD June 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I think the sugar would definitely “melt” off the sour patch kids – but it would make the leftover liquid extra yummy!

14 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Drunk Gummy Bears= Cute Idea. Honestly, I am not sure why Ive never heard of this. :D
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..My Yoga Face

15 MrsSwan June 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Because I have nothing better to do with my time…. LOL From what I read they say SPK dissolve into nothing. I have also read swedish fish blow too.
MrsSwan recently posted..Stress lock down

16 Angie @ hairbyangie June 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm

your drunken bears.. they look GOOD :) And I would totally get that shirt!! So very unique!! Hmm.. I wonder how maybe, the gummy lifesavers would work… drunken life savers.. haha!!

17 Krystina (Krystina Yogini) June 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Haha the gummi bears remind me of when one of my roommates tried to soak a bag of them in vodka, but she left the bag in her car and they melted into one big gummi mass. She still tried to put them in vodka, but they looked so disgusting that no one would touch them.

I don’t know how I feel about sour patch kids in whipped cream vodka and I’m not sure what would happen with the sugar on the outside, but they might work.

18 Coco June 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’ve seen the drunken bears on Pintrest! I have yet to try them but love the concept.. Usually My husband makes drunken cherries for July 4th each year- and they are always a big hit!

19 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style June 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’ve never seen a custom finisher tee before, but I would most likely buy it. Especially if I got a really good time or made a PR. It’s kind of cute.

I love the drunken gummy bears idea. I’m going to have to try it one day.
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..My Shopping Bag

20 meghan June 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm

drunken sour patch sounds amazing meghann! great idea :)

21 Emily N June 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Omg. I need to hear how the bears were…
Emily N recently posted..#VoteTigers