more ยป" />

Alarm Fail

by Meghann on June 8, 2012

What’s wrong with this picture?

It’s hard to tell in the above photo, but do your see how the “T” between the “W” and “F” is highlighted? Umm… yeah. New phone = new alarm = I didn’t realize when I was setting my alarm for this morning, that I was actually setting it for Thursday. Fail.

I knew I had messed up when I woke up to my 6:30 alarm ring tone instead of the new 5:30 ring tone (yes, I have different ringtones for different alarms). Since swim practice started at 6:30, this was a clear indication that I had missed it. Bummer. I hate missing things for stupid reasons, and not double checking my alarm was a stupid reason.

So I sent a quick message to my teammates apologizing for my absence, grabbed my iPad with my book for bookclub, and headed to the gym. I did 30 minutes walking on the treadmill at 4.0 with 7% incline, followed by Fitness Perks’ “Give a 10″ Weights Workout.

When’s the last time your alarm clock failed you? I have a fear that something is going to happen with my alarm the morning of a race, so I usually set 3 or 4 different alarms just in case. Maybe I need to do that for morning swim practice?

I’ve had an almost-empty jar of honey peanut butter sitting the fridge for a week now. When I got back from the gym I decided to do a quick-y version of overnight oats in a jar. (more like 30 minutes oats in a jar ;) )

In the jar:

• honey peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • Vanilla Chobani
  • milk
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • raisins

I put the jar back in the fridge while I showered and did some laundry (maybe 30 minutes). When you do the short-cut approach to “overnight oats” the oats never thickens up as much as they would if you really did soak them overnight. It’s still edible when you’re in a hurry/ impatient, but if you remember to do it the night before, it’s sooooo much better. :)

On top I had some fresh blueberries and walnuts.

I added too much milk, so these were a bit watery. Not my best mix. Le sigh.

1 Nikki June 8, 2012 at 10:22 am

You always seem to eat breakfast after your workout–how do you wait?!! I’m hungry almost first thing in the morning, and waiting until I work out would seem like eternity!
Nikki recently posted..Thursday-Schmurzday

2 Meghann June 8, 2012 at 10:25 am

I usually have a very small bite of something before I head out the door. Usually 1/4 of a Cliff bar. :)

3 Lizzie June 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Ugh, I did the EXACT same thing this morning– was supposed to get up at 5:45 to go to CrossFit, but my alarm was only set for Monday/Wednesday instead of M/W/F. I had renamed it to M/W/F CrossFit, but hadn’t added Friday as a day that it shoudl go off. Luckily, I woke up on my own… but at 7:30. Oops. So frustrating!
Lizzie recently posted..Happy Running!

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

That’s such a bummer, but thank goodness you didn’t miss anything SUPER important. I mean, missing the practice stinks, but missing something like an important meeting would be really bad! And hopefully now you can fix it so it doesn’t happen again! Have a great rest of your day! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One Lovely Blog

5 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 8, 2012 at 11:52 am

what funny timing! my alarm clocks failed today too. and i had carpool waiting on me to drive! i felt really bad about pushing our departure back an hour, but we ended up leaving at the same time we normally do. we were supposed to leave early to work out before work but – oh well! it’ll happen later. (i hope haha)
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Wednesday Seven

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I always wake up before my alarm goes off, so I don’t think I’ve ever had that problem. Although I sure did in high school!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HAPPY BIRTHDAY

7 Angela June 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have to be up at 3:30 am for work so I always set three alarms because I am so afraid I’m going to turn one off or it’s just not going to work! It’s always a bummer when your alarm doesn’t go off I feel rushed all day!

8 Christine @ BookishlyB June 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I always set they alarm and then I do the timer function- there is no oversleeping allowed when you’re a teacher!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- One for Ray

9 Emily N June 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Whoops. At least you still got your workout in!
Emily N recently posted..Challenges and No Running

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I set multiple alarms every day. There’s the “wake up and if you hit snooze a few times you’re still okay” alarm; the “get out of bed and shower right NOW!” alarm, and the “better leave for work in a few minutes so if you’re just waking up, you’re screwed” alarm. And if I go to the gym there’s also the “leave the gym in the next few minutes” alarm which also serves as the “you can hit snooze a few times” alarm for the days I decide in the moment to skip the alarm.

…I bet that didn’t make any sense. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // And the Unexpected Thursday