We Swim for Thai Food

by Meghann on June 6, 2012

Do you know what happens when you don’t have the pressure of the pool closing at a certain time or swimmers that need to be at work at a certain time?

An extra long swim workout. Yep, that’s exactly what we got tonight.

Since the pool switches the lanes to long course at 6 (a task that takes about 15 minutes on average), our afternoon practices have been starting a little later than normal. Felipe has been taking full advantage of the schedule and makes sure we get a full hour of practice in no matter what (and then some). Tonight I think we hopped in the pool around 6:15 and finished around 7:40. We definitely got our hour workout in… and then some.

2400 Meter Swim Workout.png

I’m not sure what wiped me more here the 7x100s with paddles, the 4 x 50s with leg straps, or the 4 x 50 hard?! It was all tough!

I need to do a more in depth post on the leg strap, but it’s basically half of a deflated bike tube that you tie around your ankles and swim with. It forces you to keep your legs together and rely on your stroke and proper form for stability (or at least that’s what I think it does). Remember when you used to glue your legs together as a kid and pretend you were the little mermaid in the pool? It’s sorta like that, only harder since you’re doing freestyle and not just swimming in a circle and singing “Part of Your World” underwater. (Come on, you know i’m not the only one who did that!)

Anyways, my first 50 with the leg strap was horrible. My body was sinking, my arms felt out of whack, and I was slow – painfully slow. When I got to the other end of the pool, the first thing my coach told me ( more like yelled at me) was to not lift my head out of the water. He said I needed to breathe, not check the weather. Of course, I threw every excuse I had at him (my legs are tied together! I’m sinking! This is hard!), but I listened and took his advice to heart.

The next 50 I kept half my head in the water when I turned to breathe and found I wasn’t sinking as much as I was before. In fact, I felt like I was actually gliding on the water, floating even. Who knew one tiny adjustment would make such a difference? With each stroke I grew more confident in the water and was able to put more effort into perfecting my stroke instead of worrying about drowning. By the last 50 I was actually starting to enjoy it. :)

The hard 4 x 50s went the same way. I finished the first 50 in 51 seconds and my coach told me to give him 50 seconds next time. What? 1 second faster? I had already swam over 2000 yards and was tired! I gave him attitude, but then he fed that attitude right back. I don’t remember exactly what he said, but it was enough to encourage me to push hard on the second one. I gave it all I had and reached the other end in 49 seconds. Boo-yah! Once I realized I could get the 49, I continued to push for the final two and ended up with 48s on each. Nothing like ending a workout with negative splits. ;)

We had a long, hard workout today, but that workout did not come without its rewards! The other week Jess had mentioned a great Thai place nearby that had us all craving Thai post-swim. We couldn’t all go that night, but tonight we were all game.

This is what happens when I give Felipe my camera.

And this is what happens when you give Felipe fire.

I have no idea what he ordered, but it looked fun. :)

I stuck with my boring Thai standby, chicken pad thai.

I only say boring because it’s pretty much the only thing I order when I got to Thai places because it’s pretty much the only thing I’ve ever had at Thai restaurants. I need to be more adventurous next time!

I mean, I do stick with it for a reason – Pad Thai is pretty darn tasty. No complaints here on that front. ;)

Yes, I ate the carrot flower. Count it as my lone vegetable this meal. ;)

Fortune cookies!

Yes, why yes it is.

Do you eat the fortune cookies? I LOVE them, but i know some people aren’t fans. No worries – just means more cookie for me. ;)

Before practice I had a Peanut Butter Gnu Bar.

Love how peanut butter-y this was. Yum. :)

Long practice + late dinner out = time for bed.

Good Night!!

1 Sana June 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I am def not a fan of fortune cookies. They just taste like a stale cookie to me…

2 Amie June 7, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love this Thai restaurant! The basil And chicken w veggies and garlic chicken w veggies are both amazing!

3 Sandy June 7, 2012 at 12:20 am

I love Thai food and fortune cookies too! The food looks delicious! I think I will go out for Thai food tomorrow after work!

4 Jane June 7, 2012 at 12:22 am

I love me some fortune cookies! Especially chocolate ones!

5 Cellabella June 7, 2012 at 12:33 am

If you’re looking to for more thai adventure, some good segue dishes are Pad See Ewe (normally comes with broccoli and has a sweet-savory brown sauce), Pad Kee Mao (“drunken noodles” with basil), Gao Kua (chicken noodle dish with lettuce and bean sprouts).

6 emily June 7, 2012 at 1:13 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the Drunken Noodles suggestion. Or any dish with broad rice noodles really; they are my favorite food!

7 Jessica June 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I LOVE Pad See Ewe – that’s all I ever order. Yum yum.

8 Liz June 7, 2012 at 1:10 am

I LOVE fortune cookies, but most people I know hate ‘em. I think they taste like a waffle cone, which I also love.

9 milkandspoon June 7, 2012 at 3:32 am

Your blog title caught my eye:
It’s the same for many of us, i believe.

Your swim set looked painful, especially to have hard 50s at the end after all that strength work

I swim / bike / run for Chocolate & Treats too!

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 7, 2012 at 6:39 am

At least you got some thai right after that super long practice! and I used to LOVE Gnu bars before I found out I couldn’t have gluten. I practically lived off of them! So good…

11 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full June 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’m another vote for trying Drunken Noodles. I also used to ONLY get Pad Thai, and then stole some of my husband’s Drunken Noodles one time and loved them. So now I alternate!

12 Emily N June 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Ok, I grew up with a pool in my yard and I ABSOLUTELY did all of that Little Mermaid stuff. We used those rings that sink that you can dive for and put them around our ankles (this is my little sister and I!) to make SURE that our mermaid fins were as they should be.

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 7, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’ve never had Thai food before. I’ve always wanted to try it though. It looks yummy! :)

14 Alicia at Poise in Parma June 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

I too love a solid Pad Thai option. Haven’t had Thai in awhile – makes me want to get a good workout in so I can treat myself to some! Love that you all went to dinner as one big team – so fun to spend time together outside of the pool.

15 Becca June 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

I have a weird superstision that you have to take out the fortune and eat the whole cookie before you can read it, otherwise it won’t come true! So ridiculous but I do it everytime I get one.

16 Alyssa @ Don't Look Down June 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

I do this too! Don’t know why I ever came up with this, but I’ve been doing it as long as I can remember!

17 Dana June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

Mmmmm… Thai food. Next time you go try mango curry or choo chee curry. Both are delicious and you can usually get them with loads of veggies.
Do you think the paddles are helping you with the swim? I can’t use them b/c I have a bad shoulder and my coach said it would put too much pressure on my shoulder, but I’m wondering if they help and if I should look for an alternative.

18 Laura June 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

i second the curry, its absolutely delicious!

19 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I think they are, but your coach is right – they really work my shoulders so if you are prone to injury there I wouldn’t use it. I don’t know enough about swimming to know anything about alternatives though. :)

20 Katy Widrick June 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

My swim coach made us — at the end of practice — swim an entire 25yd length underwater without taking a breath. You had to do it over and over until you got it and as you can imagine, each time you did it, it was MUCH harder. I hated him at the time but it’s the reason that to this day, I’m a very strong swimmer and can take lots of strokes without breaks.

21 Miq June 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

My friend worked in a thai restaurant when we were at uni, and she put me off eating carrot flowers by telling me they recycled them from plate to plate until they got too gross looking to use. Or until someone ate them ;)

22 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 1:15 pm

ewwww…. good to know! I’ll definitely remember that for next time!

23 Isabella June 7, 2012 at 9:43 am

It’s good to hear that you’ve enjoyed Thai food! Delicious isn’t it? Their delicacies are so different from other countries.

24 Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets June 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

How did you find this swim workout? Is it a class? What is it called? I sooooooo want to find a class in Orlando……

25 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm

My friend Courtney invited me to be a part of her swim group back in April. It started with four people swimming together and grew from there. Felipe sorta took over the role as coach ( he does coach triathletes professionally on the side) and we all have just bonded in our tri-weekly swim practices. I know they offer master classes at my Y, which is sort of the same set-up.

26 Belinda June 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

One of the best swimming breathing tips I’ve gotten is when you turn your head to breathe, your eyes should line up with the edge of the pool where it meets the wall, and no higher. When I first tried it I was shocked at how high I had been turning my neck to catch a breath, totally unncessary. Now when I see people in the pool turning dramatically to breathe, I wish I could tell them my little tip, it makes everything faster and less cumbersome.

When you’re wearing the leg strap are you not kicking at all? So it’s like using the pull buoy but even harder since you don’t have a flotation device?

27 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Correct. The leg strap actually ties at your ankle and keeps your legs from kicking. It’s very similar to the pull buoy, only there’s no flotation, so if you have improper form you drag and sink pretty fast.

28 Carissa June 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

All of your swim workouts make me really want to find a tri group to work with. Swimming is the one thing holding back my triathlon dreams and I think I’d be so much less intimidated with a group.

And I “high-five” to being #teamDroid. My husband has an iphone and he doesn’t get why I just don’t want one. I need my navigation!

29 Alyssa @ Don't Look Down June 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

Is that leg strap basically the same thing as a pull buoy? Sounds like an interesting contraption.

30 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

It’s very similar to the pull buoy, only there’s no flotation, so if you have improper form you drag and sink pretty fast. He’s also had us use the leg strap with the pull buoy.

31 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com June 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm

i definitely eat the fortune cookies! :)

32 Katie June 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The actual taste of fortune cookies doesn’t do anything for me, but I am very superstitious, I have to eat the whole cookie and I have to keep the fortune. If you throw away your fortune it is bad luck! But thats just my rule!