One Epic Galaxy

by Meghann on June 6, 2012

Say hello to my new friend. :)

Yay!

Thank you for all of your phone suggestions on my post yesterday! They were actually extremely helpful when it came to the final pick. I made a trip to Best Buy last night to scout out a few of the favorites listed in the comments and ended up narrowing down my top two choices to the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Samsung Galaxy SII Epic based on phone specs, screen size, and overall user appeal.

IMG_4658.jpg IMG_4659.jpg

I wasn’t ready to pull the trigger just yet last night. I liked the EVO, but I wasn’t convinced it was worth the heavier pricetag when the Galaxy had almost all the same features for half the price. And I really liked the Samsung Galaxy SII Epic, but I knew the SIII was being released at the end of the month and wasn’t sure if it was worth waiting for the latest one.

So I came home and did a side-by-side comparison.

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 2.36.16 PM.png

(please note the Galaxy SII was listed as $149.99 on the Sprint website and $99.99 in-store at Best Buy).

Price-wise, the Samsung Galaxy SII was winning at $99.99 (Best Buy price). If I wanted to spend $199.99, then I might as well have walked out the store with the EVO 4G LTE instead of waiting for the SIII.

Key features were mostly identical
Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 2.37.15 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 2.37.26 PM.png

But the specs section was really where the EVO 4G LTE lost me.

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 2.36.44 PM.png

The battery life for the EVO 4G LTE is better than the original, but still not up to my satisfaction. Plus, what really scared me, was that the battery is internal and not user accessible, so if there’s a problem with the battery, I can not personally do anything about it on my own.

When comparing the specs on the Galaxy SII and the SIII, there weren’t enough major enhancements to convince me to hold off for the SIII and pay an extra $100 for the phone. The S11 specs more than made me happy and I liked that I could walk out the door with it right away. I was sold!

A quick trip to Best Buy this morning and I had my new phone – my first new cell phone in almost 2 years!

I really wanted white, too. Isn’t she pretty? :)

I can already tell the difference between the Galaxy and my ancient Evo. I didn’t even realize how slooooowwww my EVO was until I started downloading apps on the Galaxy and saw how quickly everything loaded on this phone. It made me wonder why I waited so long to upgrade (I’ve been eligible for a new phone since April!).

The guy at Best Buy was extremely helpful in setting up my new phone. He made sure all my contacts and photos were saved to my SD card before moving the card from my EVO to the Galaxy. Everything transferred smoothly and I was able to keep all of my saved photos. #winning

The only bummer about the Droid system is that apps do not easily transfer from one device to another – you have to start from scratch with each new phone. Luckily all the apps I had on my phone were all free apps and took a total of 5 minutes to re-download and set-up in the new phone.

In case you were curious, these were the first to be downloaded:

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Yelp
  • Ditpic
  • GroupMe

Also, apps that already come on the phone and I use religiously are:

• Google maps/ navigation
  • Gmail
  • Calendar

For most things, I just had to plugin my google account information and everything synced automatically. Like my calendar, contacts, emails, etc.

I’m still learning to navigate the new phone, but I’m already a fan. Thank you, Evo, for jumping to your death yesterday. You may have just made my week by encouraging the purchase of a new toy. :)

What features do you love about your phone? What do you wish your phone had?

After I picked up my new phone (and spent 20 minutes in the parking lot playing with it ;) ), I headed across town to meet mommy-to-be Carolyn for lunch.

How cute is she? And how short am I?

Love, love, LOVE Pane Rustica! Such a cute little bakery and great lunch spot off of MacDill and Bayshore.

I had my mind set on a salad, but when I saw the thin crust spinach, goat cheese, and artichoke pizza in the window, I knew I had to have a piece. The pizza was very light and practically melted in my mouth. It had a touch of olive tapenade which gave it a nice salty bite.

I wasn’t sure the pizza would be enough so I paired it with a bowl of the Carrot Apple Soup.

The soup was a tad spicy and reminded me of a fall/harvest soup. I ended up dipping the pizza in the soup, which was delicious. :)

The soup + pizza ended up being more than enough and I left full and satisfied.

Enough goofing off, time to get back to work. :)

1 Lindsey June 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I have the same phone and love it! Favorite apps are Instagram, Astrid Task, Evernote, Starbucks card and Google Reader.
Lindsey recently posted..Two Desserts & Healthy Foods

2 Carolyn June 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Damn. That was a good lunch. Seriously impressed.
I’m going to call the pool at 5. If the weather passes, I’ll be there. Pinky swear.
Carolyn recently posted..Running for Two

3 Allison June 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

That lunch looks awesome!

4 Morgan June 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I have that phone and love it, but the battery life sucks so, so incredibly hard.

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm

That lunch looks so good! And to answer your question, I wish my phone had internet! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.

6 Jamie June 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm

that phone looks so swanky!!! im kind of jealous….
Jamie recently posted..Step Away from the Desk: On Taking a Lunch Break

7 Meghan R June 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I <3 my Samsung Galaxy 2! I had been having problems with my last phone and upgraded as soon as I could on May 1. It is so damn speedy!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

my favorite thing about my iPhone 4s is the camera! I use it for all the pictures on my blog!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–A Day In The Life

9 Grace @ Grace Dishes June 6, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hope you enjoy your new phone! I have the iPhone as well as my brother. I can’t imagine my life without it lol!

I love the necklace you are wearing!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Accepting and learning from our weaknesses

10 Nanci June 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Looks like a super fun phone!! Congrats! I love the white. :)
Nanci recently posted..National Running Day 2012

11 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I love new phones! I just got an iphone in March and am in LOVE! So fun!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Snacks on the Run – WIAW

12 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oohh..I like the phone! :)
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Blah

13 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

My husband has that phone and LOVES it. Im an I-Phone girl! :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Excuse Me….Your Pants Are on Fire

14 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 7, 2012 at 12:40 am

You really do your research!! I love the white phone, so pretty :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Honey Whole Wheat Oat Bread

15 Rebecca June 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

I tried a Galaxy out for a week when I switched from blackberry – although it had some features I liked, I ended up taking it back and getting an iPhone instead (which I love). I am a Mac user – so I really really really like iCloud. Everything syncs well with my gmail/google account – but now I used iCloud for my calendars and haven’t touched my google calendar in quite some time. Also the droid’s battery life really pissed me off. I can get 3-4 days out of my iPhone, when I couldn’t get a day out of the ‘droid

I use my camera all the time (what did we do before camera phones?), FB, Twitter and my calendar app. Google maps is also pretty awesome as well.
Rebecca recently posted..Track and Field Baby

16 cristina June 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

Cool phone! Now that vzw is going into limited data plans im switching networks. I know sprint is still unlimited. Do you like the service? Also, what is ditpic? I went into the app store and nothing comes up. That is the only one of the apps you mentioned that I don’t have.

17 Jo June 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

Looks like a copy of an iphone.

18 MrsSwan June 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Sooo I am really wondering what you got going on the 14th with all those little blocks. LOL

I have a Droid 3 which I love. I adored my blackberry curve so I really wanted something with a keyboard.
MrsSwan recently posted..Stress lock down

19 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

haha – I’ll be in NYC for some blog related events.

20 Kath June 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

JEALOUS!!! I got my phone in September and already want a new one. Not because I don’t like it, but because it won’t update to the latest Android. It’s a Samsung Infuse – very happy with Samsung in general.