more ยป" />

You Never Regret a Workout

by Meghann on June 5, 2012

I was really questioning why I had agreed to 6:30am swim workouts when my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning. After traveling most of the day yesterday, attending a Yelp event, then staying up way too late playing catch up from the weekend on the computer, I felt like a zombie when I crawled out of bed after barely 5 hours of sleep. I was *this close* to sending a group text and bailing on the workout, but once I was up and semi-motivated I knew I could push through it.

You never regret a workout, but you do regret not doing one. If I hadn’t gone I would have regretted it, especially when I showed up and almost the whole team was there (we missed you, Chuck!).

Today’s workout was a fun one – a progression swim at a medium-hard pace. I liked this because A) it broke the workout up, B) I enjoy pushing myself, and C) NO PADDLES!!!! My first non-paddle swim workout in a month! Woo hoo!!!! :)

• Warm-up: 400 easy
  • 300 medium hard
  • 6 x 50 @ 1:20
  • 200 medium hard
  • 4 x 50 @ 1:20
  • 100 medium hard
  • 2 x 50 @ 1:00
  • Cool down: 100 easy

The last two 50s were hard and my fastest of the the workout. It felt good to push myself knowing they were my last hard set. Funny how that works. ;)

All done and ready for the day!

IMAG1590.jpg

I headed home after the workout and made a bowl of yogurt and cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon H2H
  • Vanilla Chobani
  • Blueberries
  • Walnuts

I usually go for the plain yogurt, but lately my sweet tooth has been requesting vanilla. I wonder if that has anything to do with the summer heat?

Also, blueberries = fabulous right now! Yum!

Looks like someone had too much fun at doggie camp over the weekend.

Maddie returned from doggie camp yesterday with another stellar report from the staff. They told me she was a little shy at first, but once she realized she had free reign to play all day, there was no stopping her! She ate all her food, had all her treats, and played, played, played with all the other dogs. Basically, she had a ball and will now proceed to sleep 48 hours straight. I think mama loves doggie camp as much as Maddie does – woo hoo for sleepy puppies! :)

Time to get some work done. Adios!

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run June 5, 2012 at 9:56 am

I think we all wanted to bail this morning! I definitely contemplated texting you all too!!

2 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

Blueberries are fabulous right now! I’ve never, in all my life, been a blueberry fan. My boyfriend adores them, but I had always had ones from the supermarket and thought they were either bland or chemical tasting. HOWEVER! I went to a blueberry farm over the weekend and ate blueberries straight off the shrub while picking pounds upon pounds of them and now, I agree – blueberries are superb! :) Amazing how fresh, local produce trumps supermarket produce every time.

3 Meagan @ Managing Meagan June 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

I agree… even though it is SOOOO hard to get outta bed sometimes, it always feels MUCH better to get that workout in than to not and end up regretting it all day.

4 Katie June 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

Do you take her to Camp Bow Wow? Just curious b/c we are going out of town in a few weeks and have planned on taking her to one here and I know they are a franchise.

5 Katie June 5, 2012 at 10:20 am

her being my dog Kona ;-)

6 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m emailing you!

7 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife June 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

We send our dog to day care three days a week, and it’s mostly to tire her out. She is a social butterfly and absolutely loves playing with other dogs all day. It’s very nice on Friday nights when we want to go out on date night, and we don’t have to spend an hour walking her.

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 5, 2012 at 10:23 am

It’s really true, you never regret a workout! I was debating if I was going to go to yoga or not but I am because I know I’ll regret it if I don’t. And it’s so good for my mental state, it should always be required! ;)

9 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

You’re so right! Was debating my morning run, but now I’m def going to go

10 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

So true! The other day I skipped workout thinking I would do it later and get some work done. It never happened!

I always feel so much better when I wake up and work out

J

11 Yellow Haired Girl June 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

That cereal bowl looks fabulous. You’re totally right … I regret not getting out of bed this morning and getting to the gym. My day didn’t start the way I like it to! But I think I’ll get to a class after work so I get my endorphins rush in before the day is over :)

12 Ebernst June 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Stealing your swim workout for today to use on my lunch time swim! Super excited!

13 Carissa June 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

Morning workouts are the best, but it’s so hard for me to get out of bed. It’s easier if there’s a group counting on you.

14 Megan June 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

Early morning workouts are the hardest to get to, but definitely the most rewarding! “You won’t regret it” is my mantra when I’m not necessarily feeling a workout. My pup stays with my parents when I’m out of town and they have a big backyard for him, so he also totally zonks for a day or so when he comes back home!

15 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 5, 2012 at 11:49 am

Your swim workouts are so motivating! I’m in no way, shape, or form a swimmer, but my husband has been training for a triathlon, and I’ve gone to the pool with him a few times. I haven’t had a set workout to do, which has left me struggling to make it through our time at the pool. I may steal a few of these to keep me on track!

16 Dana June 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Sounds like we had similar mornings. I had to be at swim practice at 6:05 this morning. So early, but once practice was over it felt like I’d already accomplished something for the day!

17 Sandy June 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Glad you made the choice to go! Maddie is so cute! Glad that she had a great time at Doggie Camp.

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I think if I ever took up swimming again I’d have to do it with a team. I just wouldn’t push myself as hard without other there!

19 samantha @ peach in the city June 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

alriiiight alright I’ll go work out too

20 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I never regret a workout! I was in the same situation as you this morning (except I didn’t have a busy travel day like you yesterday). I had a 5 mile run planned at 5 a.m. Ugh! If I didn’t go then I’d never get it in. The hardest part for me is getting out of bed. Once I’m up and moving, I’m good. Workout is done by 6 a.m. and I’m ready to tackle the rest of the day!

21 Cait's Plate June 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Aw, Maddie is so cute! My sister’s dog would definitely not fare as well at doggy day camp!

22 Kelsey June 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

It’s so hard to get back on track workout-wise after traveling! The best way is to just make yourself do it!

23 Belinda June 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your swim work-outs. I did the 1850 paddle work-out today, and my arms were so tired by the end. The cool down felt so easy without the paddles :) I’ll try this workout too!

24 jaclyn June 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm

you need to explain what the swim workout workout means… i never get it! lol! for us non-swimmers-but-curious, it would be a fun and interesting post for you to write and us to read ;)

25 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I’ve written a couple of posts in the past, but I’ll be sure to do a refresher next time. :) Here’s a link to one I did when I was first learning myself :) http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/05/09/swim-workouts/

26 Emily N June 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

I might need to send our dogs to puppy camp one of these days. Wear them out good.

27 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life June 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

My puppy LOVES Doggy Day Care too. She is always so incredibly exhausted when she comes home. One time she literally walked in the door, walked about 3 steps and passed out on the floor for the next several hours. And considering that she is constantly full of energy, this was HUGE!