The Year is 1922

by Meghann on June 5, 2012

Please excuse me as I press the fast forward button here for a second.

Plane.

Lunch.

(Roasted veggie from a kiosk in the airport. Surprisingly tasty.)

Snack.

Florida.

Snack #2.

There we go. Now let’s get to the good stuff. ;)

Our plane landed at 3:00pm, which gave us exactly 3 hours to get to our car (thanks for the lift Courtney!), pick Maddie up, do some quick work, change, and head back across town for the Yelp Elite event at 6:00pm.

I knew I was crazy when I RSVPed for an event on the same day as our return flight from Baltimore, but when the invitation came through I couldn’t resist! Yelp made it pretty clear with the wow-factor at their last Elite event that these were events you don’t want to miss! Plus, it was a pretty cool location that I knew Derek would enjoy at well.

The cool location? Ciro’s Speakeasy and Supper Club in South Tampa. It’s a place I’ve heard bits and pieces about (all good stuff!), but it’s also one of those places I think you just need to experience for yourself. They take the “speakeasy” stuff very seriously and thrive off of word-of-mouth advertising (though, I’m told it’s impossible to get in without a reservation), secret rooms, and passwords. Everything about the place is very hush-hush, including the location.

Thank goodness there was a crowd of Yelp Elites standing out front, otherwise I would have driven right on by. There were no signs out front indicating a bar or place for dinner. Just a non-descript apartment building with a non-descript parking lot. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Luckily when I saw my pal Caroline out front, I knew I was in the right place. She was an honorary Elite member tonight as she awaits her official status change on the 20th. ;)

The entrance to Ciro’s was guarded by a bouncer who only let a handful of Yelpers to the door at a time.

We were told we had to read the “rules” before we were allowed to enter. I wish I had a better photo, they had some good ones.

I failed miserably at one of the tops ones – “have patience” – as I practically ran to the door when the bouncer finally let us through!

Each group had to knock at the door and provide a password to get in (they generally five you a password when you make your reservation). It was fun and definitely added to the whole experience. ;)

Inside the bar was small and intimate. It carried through the prohibition – 1920′s vibe with no windows and low light. Stepping inside, you felt like you were transported back in time.

Forgive my photos, the light was very dim, but you can see the private, intimate booths that lined the corridor.

I want to come back and sit in one of these. It would make a great date spot.

IMG_4539.jpg

The place was packed, but Derek and I managed to find a spot in the back room.

Lovebirds. :)

We were each handed drink menus and asked to order what ever we liked.

Ciro’s is known for their incredible drinks, so having free reign over the drink menu was amazing.

Unfortunately, that may have been this event’s downside as well. The two bartenders were overwhelmed with our group’s large size and couldn’t handle the multiple orders at once. We waited over an hour for drinks and were growing a bit anxious in anticipation of them. Luckily, the Ciro’s team was amazing and after we were served our first round, they limited the options to just a handful for the next. Free reign of the menu was great in theory, but with a large event it’s best to just have a few options and to just keep crankin’ them out.

My original drink order (a margarita) got lost in the shuffle and I ended up with on of the new ‘limited option’ drinks: a Bramble.

This ended up being a blessing in disguise because I would never have ordered the drink otherwise, but I ended up loving it. The fresh blackberries were what really made it, they were muddled on the bottom and the fresh juice seeped through the entire concoction. It was so refreshing and went down just like juice!

I’m not a huge liquor/fruity cocktail fan, but I would order this one again in a heartbeat.

Derek had Sazerac, which, as he put it, was basically flavored straight liquor.

He enjoyed his ‘manly’ drink. :)

Oh, and I can’t forget the food! While we drank, appetizers were passed.

We had a little sample of everything with bites that ranged from spicy sliders on pretzel buns to caramel cherry bread pudding.

IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG IMG_4556.JPG

Have you ever had edamame pot stickers? That was a first for me. :)

IMG_4573.JPG IMG_4580.JPG

My only complaint with the food (everything was delicious!) was that we weren’t served any of the dishes that Ciro’s is known for like their chicken and waffles or duck fries (though, I was excited to try the truffle popcorn!). I guess that just means Derek and I will have to return on a date night sometime or when we have friends in town that are up for a little adventure.

Ciro’s really pulled me in with their delicious drinks and speakeasy atmosphere. I really do want to return in a non-event setting and experience it all in it’s full glory. I just need to find a free weekend to do it. ;)

Thanks again, to Yelp Tampa Bay for hosting another awesome Elite event.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s almost midnight and I have a 6:30am swim practice in the morning. Oye!

1 Sana June 5, 2012 at 12:09 am

Cool location for dinner!
Sana recently posted..SuperSana Mini Boot Camp

2 Michelle June 5, 2012 at 12:10 am

Can we just talk about how AMAZING your calves look in the picture where you’re knocking on the door?

Work. It.

3 Becky @ runfundone June 5, 2012 at 12:11 am

Stop. Look at that picture of you at the door. Um, your legs are amazing!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Fun Race Course!

4 Corrie Anne June 5, 2012 at 12:31 am

What a great time!! That bramble drink looks amazing! Love those blessings in diguise!
Corrie Anne recently posted..Mexican Lettuce Wraps + HOUSE!!!

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 5, 2012 at 1:27 am

Wow! Looks like a really cool event. That’s definitely a place I’d want to check out!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

6 pluvk June 5, 2012 at 2:05 am

Every thing looks amazing! What a fun and unique night for the two of you. Thanks for sharing!

7 erica June 5, 2012 at 3:25 am

omg. a 1920s speakeasy party?!?! i’m dying! i love the 20s. this looks like a fun party!
erica recently posted..udon again

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 5, 2012 at 6:06 am

That looks like such a cool atmosphere, definitely a good date night place!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sunday Funday

9 Alex June 5, 2012 at 6:27 am

Wow, what an awesome event! I love places where hanging out and having a meal becomes a real experience. This is actually an awesome bar/restaurant concept idea that i am sure a lot of people would love. Maybe someone in NYC reads this and opens up a similar place…please?
Alex recently posted..Hilla Shamia

10 jillian June 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

there are some places like this in NYC! :)

11 Alex June 5, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Really? Tell me more :-)
Alex recently posted..Hilla Shamia

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 5, 2012 at 6:53 am

How fun! I love going to new places like that! And that blackberry drink sounds delicious!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I think we may have a few boxes to spare …

13 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full June 5, 2012 at 7:28 am

That looks so fun!
Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full recently posted..Huzzah for Summer!

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 5, 2012 at 8:06 am

That looks like such a fun event! I love the 1920′s theme :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Beginning of June Favorites…

15 Aimee @ Happy Medium June 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

SO COOL. I’ll have to check this place out sometime!

16 Heather June 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

1. you are right – this place looks awesome.
2. your legs in that dress – KILLER. (especially in the photo of you knocking on the door!) You can see your athlete strength in them!
3. We ordered some bramble-type beverages at HLS last year. DELICIOUSNESS!
Heather recently posted..Simply Saturday

17 Samantha Angela June 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

That sounds like a realy cool experience!

18 Emily N June 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

That looks like a pretty cool place!
Emily N recently posted..Turbo for a Cause + Rachel’s Party

19 Brita June 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

I LOVE speakeasy bars! There’s a great one in Boston that’s actually inside of another restaurant… a bookcase swings backwards to revel a stairway that brings you to the basement, which is decked out a lot like Ciro’s. So fun.
There’s also a sneaker store in the city, called Bodega, which is done on the same principle. From the outside, it looks like a super crummy 7-11, but once you’re in, you go through a retrofitted Coke machine and walk into what I imagine P.Diddy’s closet looks like :)
Brita recently posted..The Vlog That Wasn’t

20 Xiomara @ parkesdale June 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

I love that place! We went a while back with another couple and just had a blast. You are so right about the rules. They were cracking us up too while we waited.
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..Pork Stir Fry

21 Cait's Plate June 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

I give you guys crazy credit! I can’t imagine getting off a plane and going right back out!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..What’s In a Name?

22 CampingGirl June 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

Ciro sounds awesome!! I wish we had a place in Ottawa like that.
CampingGirl recently posted..Day 1 with Bob’s Rules

23 The Many Thoughts of a Reader June 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

that looks like a lot of fun!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..PrintRunner Giveaway!

24 Lauren @ Team Giles June 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Love your black dress. Where’s it from?
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Blogging Hiatus

25 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

It’s actually navy (hard to tell in the photos!) and I got it at LOFT :)

26 Lisa N. June 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

The non-descript apartment building is actually condos. The buidling is historic was and built in 1924.

27 Stephanie June 6, 2012 at 8:38 am

That looks like such a fun date!!
Stephanie recently posted..Cauliflower Crust Pizza