more ยป" />

Humpty Dumpty

by Meghann on June 5, 2012

Uh. Oh.

Looks like Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. :(

After two years of semi-faithful service, my HTC Evo decided it had enough of my constant email checking, tweeting, and instagramming and leapt to its death this morning from the kitchen table. Considering the hell I’ve put this phone through since 2010 (that phone has been dropped more times than I can count), its a little bittersweet that that was the fall that did it in. It wasn’t even anything, just a simple smack down at just the right angle and – Bam! – smashed.

Truthfully I’m not that beaten up over it. The phone is close to two years old now (which is 100 in phone years… right?) and has seen better days. There was little to no internal memory left, the built-in camera was dated, and the battery life (even with the extended battery) was non-existent. It was time to go.

At least it still works… for now.

I wonder how long it could last like that? I think Derek’s brother went 6 months with a shattered screen. Can anyone beat that? ;)

I for one do not plan on going longer than a couple of days with mine. I see the smashed screen as a sign to get a new phone and that’s what I intend to do – I’ve already started researching options! Right now I’m leaning towards the updated version of my phone – the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I’ll admit the original EVO 4G (the one I currently have) had a few quirks that were a turnoff, but besides the small internal memory and battery life, I truly loved the phone. I enjoyed the droid operating system, I liked the big screen (the iphone screen feels so small and inadequate), I liked how easily it synced with gmail, I LOVED the turn-by-tun voice navigating system (my favorite feature), and I liked the alerts. I’ve read a few reviews (ok, 34 reviews) on the EVO 4G LTE and it seems like the poor battery life and memory were two major improvements that people are praising in the latest release. If that’s true, then I’m sold!

I’ll probably find a Best Buy or a Sprint store to play with my other options sometime this week. I haven’t shopped for a new phone in close to 2 years, I can’t wait to explore my options!

Any suggestions for a phone on the Sprint network with a large screen, good battery life, and the Droid operating system?!

I intend to do a full grocery store run this afternoon, but in the mean time, Derek and I made the wise decision last night to stop at Publix on the way home from the Yelp event to pick up a few breakfast supplies (berries + yogurt) and lunch supplies for the day

In the 5 minutes I had in the store, I quickly grabbed some whole wheat pitas, lemon hummus, and tomatoes. I paired those three items with the spinach and cheese we already had in the fridge and made a killer pita sandwich for lunch.

We already had some carrots in the fridge as well, which made a great side dish with the hummus.

I’m pretty sure I could survive off of carrots, hummus, and pita if given the opportunity. They are always my go-to grab for quick week day meals. :)

I updated the wedding page!! Can you believe we’re already 7 months away from the big day?! Check out what we’ve tackled on our to-do list and what still needs to get done!

1 Kelsey June 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I went from an EVO to an iPhone my battery life is actually a lot better. I also like that Apple regulates apps better. BUT if you like android, I’ve heard good things about the new Samsung Galaxy.

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Aww that’s always a bummer. I don’t have any advice because I use Verizon and I don’t have a smart phone … but I can certainly sympathize!!

3 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I have an EVO as well. I dropped mine on the sidewalk last year and ended up getting another one for $100 (with insurance). Like you, I like a lot of the features that come along with this phone but the battery life absolutely kills me. My boyfriend and I are strongly considering getting iPhone’s when we’re due for an upgrade.

4 Meghan R June 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Samsung Galaxy 2 EPIC! I love it :)

5 Jessica June 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

My husband just got the EVO 4G LTE a little over a week ago. He loves it so far – it’s a bit bigger (without being heavy) than the original and the EVO 3D (which I have) and the internal memory is great – plus it has room for a lot of expandable storage. The camera really surprised me – the pictures look A LOT better than anything on our normal point and shoot.

Two negatives (in my mind) are 1: the battery is not user-accessible, which could lead to frustrations should there ever be battery trouble and 2: Sprint’s non-existent LTE network. They’re rolling out LTE in a few markets (Tampa is not one of them – I’m in Orlando) but they don’t even have a time-table for the beginning cities, let alone the rest of the country. This means that the phone actually runs 3G speeds, not 4G. My husband hasn’t really noticed the speed difference… he’s been near wifi when he’s wanted to download anything major, but he also came from a previous phone that only had 3G as well.

If you do decide on it – Best Buy is cheaper with a $50 Best Buy gift card versus going directly through Sprint.

6 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Good to know about the battery not being user-accessible, one of the things that saved me with the original EVO was the fact I could add an extended battery on to it not having that option again is a bit of a bummer. And the non-existent 4G LTE network isn’t a deal breaker. I bought the original EVO 4G before 4G really rolled out and I’m nto sure Tampa had it until i had already had the phone for 6+ months. And to be honest I rarely ever use 4G, it was such a battery drainer that I always just kept it off.

7 Allie June 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’m on Sprint, and was debating between the Evo 4G and the Motorola Photon. I ended up going with the Photon, mostly because my husband also chose it and it’s convenient to have the same phone as him. I think either one is a good bet!

8 Sana June 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Maybe you can get the screen fixed?

9 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 5:24 pm

If the phone was newer I would look into it, but it’s two years old and I’m due for an upgrade. :)

10 Carly June 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I am an iPhone gal myself, but I covered the Evo 4G LTE launch for Gear Diary, and that’s a really nice phone. If you want to go android, that’s a great choice.

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hummus is my favorite condiment! It goes well on/with everything. I’ll have to look for lemon hummus, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it. Right now I’m obsessed with Trader Joe’s fresh garlic hummus. Its awesome.

Good luck with your phone!

12 Lacey Q June 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’m obsessed with my motorola photon from Sprint. It has a large screen which I love, crazy good battery power, and super fast. I’ve never loved a phone like this one!

13 Kristin June 5, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I have 25 days left until I can upgrade from my HTV Evo (had about 2 years). I’m so over my Evo- I replaced the battery about a month ago, I’m out of memory storage and I feel like I charge it all day long! The short battery life drives me nuts!

I’m leaning towards the iPhone since I use Apple products and like being able to sync everything. #1 thing for me is a long battery life. Hoping the iPhone does the job!

14 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I actually bought the extended battery a year ago and it was a life saver for this phone! It turned my phone into a brick, but my EVO could go TWO DAYS without needing to go on the charger! I would love to get an iphone, but the navigation stuff stops me from pulling the trigger. I love my turn-by-turn navigation on my phone.

15 Jamie Horne June 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm

The Samsung Galaxy S III is up for pre-order today on Sprint and will be released June 21. It’s the newest phone on the market and supposed to be the best out there. I’m actually upgrading to this phone for Verizon :)

16 Jamie Horne June 5, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I realize a link might help, so you can check it out http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/

This phone has some really neat camera options including the ability to take multiple shots in seconds and choosing the best for you, also it touts a feature called Social Tag which tags faces for you based on your social media friends’ lists. It also lets you share photos with your friends when it recognizes their faces.

This phone also has a Siri like voice recognition program and the ability to tell whether or not you are watching or reading something on your screen (the screen won’t time out and turn off until eye contact stops).

This phone has a huge battery so I assume (and hope!) the battery life will be great.

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

awww poor phone! Good excuse for a new one though! The only phone that I’ve “destroyed” was my old razor. It survived a jello shot being melted all inside of it (clutch, sorority formal, jello shots in those tiny solo containers… ) but then it died when I made a phone call in the rain! Really? Water killed it before jello!?!? haha oh well.

18 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I say go iPhone or go home! All of these phones are just trying to copy what iPhone does, but they can’t, because iPhone has patents on everything. Why not just go for what that phone wishes it was – an iPhone!

19 Sandy June 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Bummer about your phone but it’s a great reason to get a new one!!

20 Sarah June 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We love our Epic 4G Touch! Giant screen, awesome camera and video recording – so worth the money!

21 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full June 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I love my iphone (even though it’s an old 3Gs–update in a month!!) BUT in part I think it’s because we’ve become an Apple house. Computers, AppleTV, Phone, Airport, docking stations all synch together. Hope you can find a new phone you love!

22 Missy June 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Sorry but…iPhone or GO HOME!!! :)

23 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily June 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I currently have a Blackberry that I get to upgrade in October. I was thinking iPhone, but after searching phone with Verizon, I’m not sure that’s the phone I want anymore, I can’t wait to see what is out there in a few months from now!

24 Becky @ runfundone June 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Oh man! I dropped my phone a few months ago. When I went to buy a new one, I was so paranoid that I’d break it again that I got this huge cover that makes it nearly twice it’s size…it’s almost like a tank covering my phone. People make fun of me for it. And what’s super ridiculous about it is that afterwards I realized that since I got Apple Care+, I can break my phone multiple times and they’ll replace it for free!

I’m all about the iPhone…especially if you’re with Sprint. Sprint’s customer care is TERRIBLE, but Apple’s is amazing, so maybe it evens the problem out???

25 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com June 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

aw man! too bad about your phone! glad it’s still working for now though :) my old droid once completely died out of nowhere (i didn’t drop it or anything!) and wouldn’t turn on. it was such a bummer!

26 Cait's Plate June 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Ugh – bummer about your phone! I’m not a Sprint customer but I have the Samsung Fascinate and really love it! Not sure if it’s offered through Sprint or not, but if so I would recommend it!

27 The Many Thoughts of a Reader June 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I smashed my screen a month after getting the phone. I’m now on month 3 with a smashed screen, but mine isn’t as bad as yours looks.

28 Liz June 6, 2012 at 12:52 am

I LOVE when it’s time to get a new phone! I’m on Verizon, so I can’t help with any recommendations, but I love the Motorola DROID X. I am planning to upgrade to the DROID razr maxx soon.

29 Reenie June 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

iPhone =) Mine gives me turn by turn directions.

30 Melissa June 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I also have turn by turn directions with my Iphone, which I love…I will never own another phone.

31 Reenie June 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Mine saved our butts several times a few weeks ago in KC ~ we were there for a friend’s wedding. My friend couldn’t get her fancy-GPS to work or I should say find the places we needed ~ I’m soooo glad I had just gotten my iPhone a few weeks before ~ love that feature on it =)

32 Court June 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Since you evo is older (I got mine August that year), we have the older version. They ended up changing the screen on it in later version of the same model so when my cracked, the Sprint store had older versions of the screen laying around that they rarely used so they were able to replace it for free. Might be worth an ask!