more ยป" />

When Delayed… I Drink Beer

by Meghann on June 1, 2012

Delayed!

Our 8:20 flight to Baltimore was pushed back to 10:00, then moved forward to 9:40 and is now holding steady at 9:25. Fingers crossed that trend continues!

However, rumor has it, that Baltimore isn’t looking to hot right now (tornado warnings, heavy rain, yadda yadda yadda) so the delay doesn’t bother me that much, I’m just a little bored.

And when I’m bored, I get camera happy.

IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0036.JPG

I play a lot of ipad games.

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0048.JPG IMG_0050.JPG

And I drink beer.

Mmm…beer.

Oh, and I eat food.

We stopped at Whole Foods on the way to the airport and picked up subs to take on the plane. I got a turkey with swiss on whole wheat with basil walnut pesto, tomato, onions, olives, cucumbers, and lettuce.

Whole Foods makes a pretty mean sub.

There was also a piece of dark chocolate that was a last minute grab at the register.

And a bowl of popcorn with peanuts before we left the house.

Nothin’ much we can do now but sit and wait it out.

Hopefully we’ll make it to Baltimore before midnight!

What’s the longest you’ve ever been delayed for a flight? I’ve only ever had to wait a couple of hours, but I know some people have been delayed overnight. Yikes!

1 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed June 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

one hundred and eleventeen hours..and 17 cents. I have been delayed OVER FRUCKING NIGHT!! In Prague. Thank G-D I’m Slovak and can drink Vodka with the best of the eastern euros.

2 Sana June 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I ditched my car near the airport and had my brother pick me up! I hope you have a safe flight here!

3 Erin June 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

If you like Indian food, you should head to the Ambassador Room! A little pricey, but well worth it. Enjoy B-more! (the weather has calmed down a lot, btw.)

4 Lauren June 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

You’re heading to Baltimore? I love B-more! It’s in my backyard. I must have missed this! I hope you enjoy and you should have good weather for the weekend.
Safe flight!

5 Kim June 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I live in Baltimore and we’re having some nasty weather! A tornado touched down about 10 minutes away from my house. We’ve had severe thunderstorms all night and they keep sending out tornado warnings. Hope you have a safe flight!!

6 Jody June 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Eeeek! Yeah I’m in Baltimore and the weather is pretty crazy today. My longest delay was 6 hours. I HIGHLY recommend you try some Maryland crab cakes while you’re in town. Timbuktu near the airport is the best!

7 RunInBoise June 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm

We were delayed at our last Vegas trip about 4 hours. It was the worst day ever. The guy sitting in front of me punched a kid sitting across the row from him before takeoff. He got arrested after we landed. Delays make people crazy. Glad you have beer, subs, and games to keep you happy.

8 Gillian @ That's G June 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

My senior year of college, a big group of girls from my sorority were heading to Vegas. From San Francisco, it’s a super short flight. Our 5 pm departure was delayed FIVE hours. Naturally, we hit up the bar for some margaritas, and made friends with some guy who bought us a round of patron shots. It ended up being one of the most memorable parts of the trip – but I bet you can imagine just how rowdy a plane full of Vegas-bound people were when we finally landed!

9 Cait's Plate June 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Ugh being delayed and cancelled is the worst! There’s some bad weather coming through for us right now – hopefully it passes quickly and you’re on your way!

10 Kayla Moothart June 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I flew to CA in January for the Carlsbad Marathon. The weather in Oregon (my destination post-race) was awful for flying – we were actually getting snow and crazy amounts of rain. My flight was delayed so we drank champagne in the airport to celebrate my marathon (so we have delay activities in common). After waiting there for a little while we found out our whole flight had been cancelled and had to figure out where to stay for the night and how to contact our jobs etc. At least there was champagne!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 1, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’ve been delayed 3 days! Haha not the same flight, it was cancelled, but they couldn’t get me out of Charleston, SC for 3 days because of ICE! Seriously?!!? haha

12 Deva @ Deva by Definition June 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Overnight was my longest delay. It was right in the middle of hurricane season when I was 19. My flight was cancelled. Fortunately, my family was dropping me off to fly home, and was going to wait until I had to go to security to leave. I was able to spend the night at my aunt’s house before flying out the next day.

My longest “let this delay be OVER” delay was 4 hours when I was 12. I got stuck in O’Hare, and wasn’t old enough to fly without unattended minor status at the time. My plane had mechanical difficulties so my 2 hour layover became four. I landed on the west coast at midnight and was never happier to go to bed.

13 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen June 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Well, I am currently flying over the Baltimore area right now…and it’s not pleasant! Traveling in bad weather is the worst!

14 mary June 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I spy my drawing!!

Safe travels!

15 Jess June 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Delayed is better than cancelled. Last year I went to Rarotonga, and the ash cloud was really bad and my flight got cancelled. It was a very stressful morning trying to get cover for a different week at work, and getting everything rebooked. We ended up going the following weekend and having an amazing time.

16 Beka June 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Flying to TN from California, for some odd reason they flight went all the way to Charlotte, NC then I back tracked to Memphis.
After the 4 hour flight from CA to NC (on time), on the last leg from Charlotte to Memphis, we were diverted to Birmingham and had to land in their extremely small and under equipped airport (for the size of our plane) due to some severe weather and a VERY scary plane ride. Sat around Birmingham for about 4 hours, then flew BACK to Charlotte, to sit there for about 7 more hours. Finally boarded a flight 2.5 hr back to Memphis after sitting around in Charlotte having a few drinks and chatting with the other stranded passengers from my flight. Longggggggg trip home!

17 Elisabeth June 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I was delayed at O’Hare once for nearly 6 hours…oh, and I was walking thru the airport with a (unknown to me) broken ankle… I had fallen down the stairs with my suitcase at my friend’s house right before we left to fly back home. It hurt pretty badly & swelled, but I thought it was sprain. I ended up going to the ER the next morning & found out I had walked on a broken ankle for nearly 24 hours…

18 Tracy Schwartz June 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I was flying home from West Palm Beach to NJ and we were first delayed two hours for mechanical issues, then another hour to change staff, we boarded the plane only to get off another hour and a half later for more mechanical issues. In total we were delayed 13 hours and then when we did finally take off we had to fly into Philadelphia because of bad weather at Newark….it was a disaster trip one that I will never forget. Love B’more!! Safe Travels

19 Jessica June 2, 2012 at 4:39 am

I have been delayed (cancelled) overnight! Luckily I was visiting my parents and they came and picked me up. Have a blast in Baltimore.

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

I delayed for probably about 12 hours when traveling to Guatemala on a mission trip several summers ago. It was really tough because we had lots of little kids with us! Trying to keep them entertained was quite an experience! ;)

21 Sneakers2sandals June 2, 2012 at 6:56 am

Haha I was IN Baltimore tryin to get out last night!! Our flight to Tampa was cancelled and we are just leaving now in the morning! Hope you had better luck.

22 Sarah June 2, 2012 at 6:57 am

Oh no! I am not a fan of getting delayed.. but who is? hah it looks like you kept yourself busy though! Hope you made it to baltimore safely!

23 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 2, 2012 at 7:05 am

Last year when we went to SF, we were supposed to take off at about 4. We took off at 10 – which meant that we landed at around 1:00 SF time (or 4:00am our time – East Coast :) ). That sucked because we were exhausted. To top it all off… when we went to collected my luggage we found that it was LOST! When it arrived the next day (after shopping, of course); EVERYTHING in it was soaked! It clearly was out ready to be loaded when the big storms hit that delayed us. NOT cool. At all.

24 Hillary June 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m curious to hear what time they finally got you out last night. The weather here in B-more was CRAZY yesterday; at my school, we put all the kids on the buses, and then promptly had to EVACUATE the buses due to a tornado warning and sighting in the area. Nothing says “Friday” like sitting in the gymnasium with 600+ middle schoolers!

Hope you made it here safe!

25 Melissa @TryingtoHeal June 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

I was delayed a day and a half once in new jersey…That was definitely no fun.

26 Anne Weber-Falk June 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

This is why we drive everywhere. Yes it takes longer but there is so much to see and do and we couldn’t do this if we flew. We love to drive.

27 Dusty @ Running to Healthy June 2, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I had a flight delayed four hours before due to snow. The wait sucked. Hope you enjoy Baltimore.

28 Emily N June 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I got stuck overnight in NYC on two seperate occasions. and granted, i am not a weatherman, but the only thing I could see going on outside was rain! wtf!