Wedding: Wedding Cake

by Meghann on May 31, 2012

When planning a wedding, it’s hard not to get caught up in all the beautiful fancy-schmancy wedding cakes out there.

wedding cakes.jpeg

(source)

But, before you start dreaming of a 3-4 tiered custom fondant masterpiece, it’s best to take a look at the price.

• The average cost of a wedding cake is $543, according to The Bridal Association of America.
  • For wedding cakes, most bakeries and pastry chefs charge by the slice. A low-end option would be a smaller tiered cake in chocolate or vanilla paired with a sheet cake for cutting for around $1.50 a slice.
  • A mid-range two- or three-tiered cake in a standard flavor such as chocolate, vanilla, carrot cake or lemon poppy seed with buttercream icing and minimal fondant decorations can run $5 or $6 a slice.
  • A high-end multi-tiered gourmet cake with flavored fillings, fondant icing and elaborate fondant, gum paste and sugar decorations can run $10 or more per slice.
  • Some caterers charge a cake-cutting fee when figuring the total cost of your wedding cake. Cake-cutting fees can run $1 or more per slice. (luckily my caterer does not)

(Source)

Yep. Cakes are expensive.

As much as I LOVE pretty wedding cakes, having (or paying for!) a fancy-schmancy cake for my own wedding isn’t a top priority for me. In fact, it’s a pretty low priority (cake that actually tastes good is much higher ;) )

I knew before I even got engaged that I had no interest in going the traditional bakery route when it came to a wedding cake. However, that doesn’t mean that I didn’t want a wedding cake at all. Now a days the “trendy” thing to do is go the non-cake route (cupcakes! pies! cheesecakes!) which is a totally awesome option (more on my interpretation of that below!!), but Derek and I like cake. Scratch that, we love cake. :)

mmmm…. cake.

We particularly love my grandmother’s famous red velvet cake. Her red velvet cake is one of those things that she only makes for very, very special occasions, and when it does make an appearance at family functions – it’s usually the first thing to go and it’s not uncommon to find one of my uncles licking the cake plate clean. I’m looking at you, Andy!

Mine and Derek’s dream is to have my grandmother bake her famous red velvet cake for our wedding. We asked her almost as soon as we got engaged if it might be something she would be interested in doing and she seemed flattered, but a little overwhelmed with the idea (totally understandable). We also recruited my Uncle Bill in the cake baking/decorating process. He seemed more than a little excited about the idea. In fact, he started drawing up sketches and coming up with a plan for said cake almost immediately. Cake decorating is a bit of a hobby of his and he’s fairly talented at it.

With my uncle on board, my grandmother seemed a little more keen on the idea. And, with my grandmother baking and my uncle decorating, I know our cake will rock.

I just really love the idea of a very simple cake with that homemade feel to it.

homemadecake.jpg

(source: Birdsong Facebook)

To me, this screams “made with love” and “this is going to taste GOOD.” Also, not a fan of the fondant – bring on the heavy cream cheese icing, please! ;)

Of course, the cake isn’t the only dessert we have in mind for the reception. Dessert is easily my favorite part of any meal (you have your liquor, I’ll have my pie), and I want to incorporate that love affair into the reception. My plan is to have the cake be the start of the show and surrounding it with homemade cookies, cake balls, pies, and any other desserts I can politely beg my friends and family to help with.

I also want to set out mini takeout boxes with the dessert bar so guests can take home what they want as favors. Two birds. One stone.

Again, this is all still in the idea phase of planning (nothing is set in stone!), but I really, really, really love the idea of a dessert bar with all of mine and Derek’s favorite treats (including his Grandmother’s blueberry pie <- his favorite!). I’m hoping to make this a reality.

So that our cake/dessert bar plan for now. We’ll have to see where it goes from here!

What did you do for your cake/dessert at your reception?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm

We had a Publix cake! It was delicious and super affordable :) I miss Publix!!

2 Cheryl May 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

One of my best friends (who has an insane sweet tooth) had a “dessert bar” at her wedding — potluck-style, guests made and brought their favorite cakes, pies, cookies, brownies, whateva — in lieu of a fancy tiered wedding cake. It was a huge success!

3 Claire May 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm

We did the cake & dessert table route. We had a (beautiful) tiered cake that was chocolate, vanilla almond and strawberry (each layer was different) that fed about 200 people, which was half our expected turn-out. Then, we had an older lady from church make six of her famous pies and cakes (2 of each): 7 UP Cake, German Chocolate Cake, Coconut Cake, Chocolate, Coconut and Pecan pies. We had cake left over, but those homemade desserts were GONE before I could even get a piece of one! People raved about how cool it was, and loved the variety. I think whatever says “you” is what you should do – and I live for dessert. So I knew that is where I wanted to focus!

4 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 31, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love that idea!!! I think it adds a personal touch and I value taste over looks too :)

Nothing worse than a beautiful cake that tastes terrible. What a let down.

5 Sandy May 31, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Looks like you are having a good time planning your wedding!! All of the cakes look like great choices.

6 Leah May 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Great idea Meghann! I love the idea of a homemade cake that means something more to you! I had my cake made by an independant baker and not a high scale place. I wanted someone to make it who was self employed and would put care into their work, and it would taste good. And boy did it ever. Even a year later when we celebrated our first anniversary! The lady who made mine replicated my wedding dress.

See it here!

I loved that it had a more personal feel to it. I looked at my cake and saw my dress!

Dress pics here: http://simplyfabulousnow.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/our-wedding-day/

I hope you love your cake as much as I love mine. A personal touch is one that will be remembered :)

7 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Your cake was gorgeous! As was your dress, she did a great job!

8 Kimra May 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I’m from Western Pennsylvania, where there’s a “cookie table” tradition: the family bakes a bazillion cookies from family recipes. I hadn’t been to many cookie table weddings, and it wasn’t on my list when we started planning, but for some reason, two weeks before the wedding, I asked my mom if she’d help me do a cookie table. My husband and dad thought we were insane, but the week of the wedding, we baked at least 12 dozen cookies from family recipes on both sides. We displayed them on trays and cake stands from World Market and set out baggies for people to take a few home. We also had cupcakes as our “official” dessert, but the cookie table was by far one of our favorite things about the wedding.

9 Lindsey June 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

I was hoping someone would talk about the wonders of the cookie table! My mom’s family is from Western Pa and we always got really excited for any cousin’s wedding. I went to IUP and ended up working at a wedding/banquet hall where I spent many an hour putting hundreds, thousands of cookies out. I credit all my college weight gain on the cookie tables. The brides would always leave out bags for the guests (and secretly, the servers, and there were rarely any leftovers. They’re out for the whole reception usually so many guests would choose cookies over hor’ dourves. It’s a glorious glorious thing.

The cookie table tradition started– as I was told–because during the Depression and even before, coal-mining families couldn’t afford gifts for newlyweds but they could get flour and baking ingrediants from company stores. Who needs another tea towel when you can have 12 dozen Lady Fingers?

10 Laura @ My Pink Thumb May 31, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That’s a great idea having your grandma make your favourite cake! :)

I was married down in Jamaica so we had a small cake from the resort which was part of our free wedding package. It was chocolate and was fantastic!! We did however have a little reception once we got home for which I toyed with the idea of ordering a cake. Instead, I decided to save the money and go the cupcake route! My mom baked the cupcakes and I made the icing/frosted them in our wedding colours – turquoise and white. :) They were a hit!

11 Lindsey May 31, 2012 at 3:18 pm

We had a small topper cake that we used to cut the cake, then we had a cupcake tree with 3 kinds of cupcakes, and a huge fruit platter. We decided against any more dessert since then people might not eat the cupcakes. I think we did 200 cupcakes for our 140 person wedding and still had tons left over!

12 erica May 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

we got married at a hotel so dessert was covered in the buffet spread. and our hotel threw in freebies depending on how much you spent on your event…so one of our freebies was the cake. of course you could choose to bring your own in, or change the flavor or “upgrade” the design for a fee…but i honestly didn’t really care. i figured, it’s free, i’ll take it! it turned out really pretty and the flavor was actually quite yummy!

13 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I always look forward to the wedding cake!! I love the idea of having homemade treats that you and Derek both love, how special for both you and your guests.

We got married in Hawaii and had a simple vanilla cake that my aunt decorated with fresh flowers, and a dessert buffet with mini pastries :)

14 Angela May 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Somebody I work with went to a wedding where instead of cake they had cheese! It was various sized round slabs on stands in the wedding cake shape with fruit for decoration. Sounds a bit weird to me but apparently it was lovely. Personally I’d want the cake.

15 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane May 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I think the home made cake idea is great. It’s something both of you love already and it will surely be a hit with the rest of the party. Love the approach because it just seems more personal.

16 Belinda May 31, 2012 at 3:45 pm

My favorite desert is my Grandma’s strawberry pie. We got married in 2008 and at that point I hadn’t been to a wedding where there wasn’t cake. So I was scared, but we did it anyway. My husband and I are both not huge cake people (weird I know), but we gave our catererer my grandma’s strawberry pie recipe and she made those and mini buttermilk pies. It was delicious, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Although I know some of my best friends always look forward to cake at weddings :) Too bad, it reflected me and my hubby and was perfect for our wedding.

17 Poptartyogini May 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I love chocolate so I had a brown cake with white piping. I really liked it and the chocolate frosting was a little different. I also had a sweet table, ice cream (cherries jubilee) and gave truffles as my giveaway. I have a sweet tooth and I’m ok with that

18 Beth @ 990 Square May 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm

We had a cake that was actually made by a (now) famous baker–Chef Duff from Ace of Cakes. Our wedding was before the show and my husband had a connection, so we got a really good price.

Now I actually make wedding cakes for friends and family, and I know a cake made with love is so much more meaningful than something from a random bakery!

19 Annette @FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I love those ideas! We had a 4-tiered cake that I LOVED (gorgeously decorated) and each tier was a different flavor. My favorite was the caramel one…sooo good. But the carrot cake was also amazing.

Our cake master was a friend of my mom’s and did all my siblings’ cakes, and he came out of retirement to do mine. It was incredibly sweet ;)

20 meghan May 31, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I love that your grandmother will be making your cake – that is so special! We had a small 3 tiered cake with 4 different flavors of cupcakes.

21 Sarah May 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Great idea! I cannot tell you how many weddings I have been to that serve terrible cake. I would be SO happy as a guest to see so many options!

I wouldn’t rule out some Costco bakery items maybe to fill in your table and make it super overflowing with luscious goodies. Their stuff is really tasty and might ease some of the burden/worry over having enough to go around and home with folks.

22 Rae May 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

We did our cake from Tops (local grocery store) and had a sheet cake in the back to supplement…cost about $175 for 150 people, not bad. I love your idea, but you might want to check that the venue is okay with homemade treats…we needed an official letter that the baker was licensed to make food for public or something, which is why my Aunt couldnt make the cake. Bummer.

23 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 4:42 pm

That’s actually one of the reasons we picked our venue because they do allow homemade treats. :)

24 Samantha May 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That’s exactly what I want to do! I have some FABULOUS dessert makers in my family and would love to have their personal touches added to our special day. YUM!

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I love the dessert bar idea, but i’m ALL about the cake! It was always my favorite!

26 Margo May 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love the idea of a homemade cake! For health code reasons, our venue didn’t allow non-professional food items to be brought in. Luckily a cake was included in our catering package. We had the florist decorate with flowers and it looked great! Unfortunately, I only had a bite when we cut the cake! I was too busy chatting and celebrating during the reception and totally missed my own cake!

27 VanessaG May 31, 2012 at 5:13 pm

10 times better than a 500$ cake with yucky fondant! I love the cute gift boxes too. Its crazy how much people will pay for a cake!

28 Emily May 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm

We had pie instead of cake. I love cake, but if there’s pie, I’ll always choose it instead. It was extra-special because we ordered it from the diner where my husband worked the summer we got engaged.

29 Hillary May 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I love love LOVE this idea. My boyfriend and I have talked about doing something similar, particularly the “desserts to go” one. What a great (delicious!) personal touch to your day.

30 Sarah May 31, 2012 at 5:54 pm

We did a traditional tiered cake – which was one of the best tasting wedding cakes I’ve had – not that I’m biased! It was chocolate cake with raspberries and an amazing french buttercream frosting – it was amazing!

We also did a ” make your own” sundae bar that was a lot of fun. Many people went back for seconds and thirds!

Doing homemade cakes sounds fun and very creative!

31 Elisabeth May 31, 2012 at 6:05 pm

My best friend had a fall wedding (in Michigan) a couple of years ago & they did all pies from a famous pie place (Achatz) up there. They had double crust apple (best apple pie I’ve EVER had!), Michigan 4 berry, pumpkin and french silk – they were all DELICOUS! I love the idea of non-traditional desserts or homemade cakes, especially because I often find the traditional, ‘pretty’ wedding cakes to not taste that great ;)

32 caitlinhtp May 31, 2012 at 6:17 pm

funny story: kristien and i went to a cake bakery with absolutely no idea what a cake could cost and we designed this amazing, banging cake that looked like the beach with sugar shells on it etc etc etc. We priced it out and it was like $2000. I think we both nearly shat ourselves in the bakery.

In the end, my aunt baked my cake like your grandma will do, and it was delicious and perfect.

33 Madeline May 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm

We are doing pies! Neither of us are big cake fans, but we sure do love pie and ice cream! The chef at our venue is amazing and makes some seriously good pies with local ingredients and the ice cream is going to be from a dairy farm right next to the ranch we are getting hitched at! I can’t wait. I’m drooling just thinking about it…

34 Stephanie Clement May 31, 2012 at 7:58 pm

My brilliant mum came up with our cake idea! We actually hired an up-and-coming baker! she was only 16!! BUT she was good and really really enthusiastic that a wedding wanted to hire her. SO! What we did was have her make a smallish 3 tier cake (I only cared about tiers for the anniversary traditions). Anyways, we had the “pretty, cutting” cake and thennnnn: COSTCO! We got two costco sheet cakes (which are sooo delicious! anyone agrees) and served that :) Nobody knew and everyone was happy!

35 Kathleen May 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm

My husband and I made our own wedding cake and it was a huge success!

We did some testing prior to the real one to ensure it was possible. We had a small wedding(75 guests) but we ended up doing too much cakes and we shared the remaining cake with our families after the reception.

We did 2 big cakes during the week of the wedding than frozen them until the day before the wedding, we decorated it the day before the wedding at our venue who kindly allowed us to use their kitchen facilites. We also had the opportunity to meet every all the staff that were on duty the day of our wedding. It helped to create a friendly atmosphere :)

We had so much fun doing it together, it was a real stress reliever prior to the big day!

36 Erin May 31, 2012 at 8:06 pm

We want to do the same thing! I love the idea of a dessert table where people can choose their favorites – since we’re doing sort of a local theme, we’re going to get pies/cookies/cakes/treats from all of our favorite local bakeries. It will be way less than having one of them make a wedding cake and it will be more personal so people can try all of the unbelievably amazing treats that we love here in Rhode Island! I am now currently freaking out/OCD about the logistics of how to set it up, hah!

37 Kalee May 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love your idea of a homemade cake bar! I completely agree it should taste good, and fondant is overrated. I also like the idea of making the gift a cupcake. My boyfriend and I always want something sweet after a wedding (more me than him…sometimes sharing a piece of cake doesn’t cut it!) The cupcakes are so cute and perfect!

38 Beka May 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I love the idea of having multiple types of desserts, and the take home boxes for gifts. Cake pops/balls are #2 on my list behind a frozen chocolate bar. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

39 Natalie May 31, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I had a two tiered vanilla with raspberry filling public cake and a mini desserts bar from matt&doms catering, they’re a company in Bradenton, FL…very affordable…pic of my cake:)

40 Jenn May 31, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Love the idea of a homemade cake by your grandmother – how special! I agree with others about filling the rest of the “dessert bar” with treats from Costco, grocery stores, etc. I think asking family or friends to bake little treats for your wedding is a lot of pressure. If someone asked me to do that, I would feel so much pressure to get everything perfectly for their special day that I would be up all night worrying. Probably better to have your guests relaxed and ready to party. It could also be an awkward situation if someone comments that they don’t like something, etc. and the baker is there!

41 Sarah May 31, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Cake is my favorite part of the wedding! I feel bad now that I know how expensive it is!! I always eat at least three slices.. I wish I was lying. I binge eat when it comes to cake.

42 BroccoliHut May 31, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Aw, I love the idea of having a family member make the cake–that makes it so much more meaningful!
We’ll have a pretty traditional tiered cake, but I was very adamant about NO fondant. I don’t like cake much…but I love frosting! So my cake will have plenty :)
Seth is planning on having a crazy chocolate-PB Ninja Turtle-themed groom’s cake. I’m pretty psyched for that too!

43 Jaimie June 1, 2012 at 9:09 am

What a sweet idea! I just got married a few weeks ago and ran into the same sticker shock that you did when cake searching! I was able to do a DELICIOUS cake from a bakery for 150 people for $350. My secrets were not using fondant– I did a textured buttercream icing (similar to that in your birdsong picture) AND a false bottom tier- it was just foam covered in icing :) I made up the rest of the servings in a sheet cake, which is way cheaper.

I know grocery stores will do simple 3-tiers for 150 for around $200, if you have a decorative friend that wanted to finish it off :)

44 Raffi Darrow June 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

When my friend got married to a pilot, she went cheap & family made with the cake but splurged on a hand-blown glass cake topper of a bride and groom in a bi-plane. Very cool!
I did not have the cake of my dreams, but when I came home from work on the night of my first anniversary, Brian had created it for me! He bought cake pans and mixes and frosting – made tiers, and found the Mickey and Minnie porcelain cake topper that was missing from our reception. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
I guess my point is, people will eat anything that is yummy, and your cake topper should make you smile :)

In the 2nd-to-last photo of this post I really like the background! Looks like those needlepoint rings filled with basic lace. Great, inexpensive idea for decor.

45 Meghann June 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

awww… that’s too sweet. :) I still have no idea what to do for a cake topper! I’m sure I’ll have a cake topper themed post at some point. Those things do get pricey! Yikes!

46 Kathleen June 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

We used lego minifigures as one of our cake toppers: original, funny… and not very expensive! My husband was a big lego fan when he was young :)

47 Brigid June 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

I baked my own! We had a tiny wedding of 14 people, so it was no biggie. I made a one-layer chocolate chai cake and a two-layer raspberry-vanilla-pomegranate cake. That was one of my favorite parts of the whole experience.

(Oh, and hi from a new reader!)

48 Meghann June 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hi! :)

49 Jessica June 1, 2012 at 10:35 am

We went to one of the best cake bakers in Orlando without even realizing it. We wound up doing a tasting with her and it was amazing, of course… so we were like eh, let’s do it! Our cake was fortunately, under $500 for 130 people. We did do a small sheet cake in back to help cut some costs. We loved our cake though and got lots of compliments. So all-in-all we were happy.

50 Sarah June 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

I did the same thing with my wedding cake that you are considering. I asked my neighbor (who had been making our childhood birthday cakes for years!) and she agreed to do it. The cake was wonderful and it was beautiful. Plus it felt that much more special.

I also did a take home dessert table as favors…because who wants a candle with my name and wedding date on it, right? It was a wodnerful end to a great party. I think the guests really appreciated it.

51 Bri June 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It’s a lovely idea to have your grandma’s recipe featured as your wedding cake! Red velvet–yummm.

Have you considered asking her for the recipe and giving it to a bakery so that they can perform the heavy lifting? The first thing I thought when I read your post was, ‘How nice to save money on the cake, but poor Grandma!’ That’s a lot to ask of a grandmother, in my opinion. Of course, I may be totally off-base (and it’s none of my business–I’m just responding to your post). If Grandma seems thrilled about (as opposed to ‘a little more keen’ on) helping, that’s fabulous–you’re very fortunate to have such a generous grandmother and uncle!

52 allison @ thesundayflog June 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm

my mom did an entire italian cookie dessert bar for my sister’s wedding, and i want a dessert table as well, but unfortunately my venue requries that we purchase all of the treats through them, which is far too expensive. so needless to say, we wont be doing it. we WILL, however, have one at our rehearsal dinner, which is at my parents’ house :)

53 Ct cupcake June 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Isn’t your wedding outside? Buttercream might melt quite quickly. As much as I love the idea of homemade treats, I’d find it so stressful that it might not turn out well or that I’d be leaning on my family and friends too much.

54 Kelly June 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. I love the idea of homemade treats but executing it, especially the cake would make me nervous. I think that’s a lot of responsibility for someone who didn’t volunteer and I assume, doesn’t have catering experience. I know from my own experience that some recipes don’t exactly double or triple very well. It just seems like one of those experiences where you’d have to be prepared for the fact that it might not look or taste exactly like how you envisioned it. Not to mention it might be good to have a backup plan if things don’t go exactly as you expect.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable asking my family and friends to help with a dessert table. I think it’s every bride and groom’s business what there wedding budget is and where they choose to splurge and spend, but I think expecting people to chip in essentially could rub some people the wrong way. Because of that I kind of like the idea mentioned above of passing the recipes off to a caterer. It still gives you a more personal feel but without expecting too much of people. Not to mention if the recipes are from home cooks you could probably find a small or hobby caterer who would be willing to do it for an affordable price. And with less stress since you’d get more of a guarantee of what the final product will be like.

If you do ask people I’d just make it clear that no one is obligated, especially if they have already given you a shower gift and will give you a wedding gift. I’d also be prepared to give them a small gift of appreciation because I do fee like it is a bit of effort on their parts and if it were me, I’d want them to know that I appreciated the work.

55 Jenn June 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

100% agree with this.

56 katherine June 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I like the idea of a homemade cake and the idea of a dessert table. I don’t know that I would want to ask a family member to make it though. It would add to their stress on and around the wedding day and might detract from their enjoyment of the event. I liked what one person said about about getting an up and coming baker (who would charge less than a bakery) to do the work for you. Then you could do a sampling of family desserts, use the family recipes and then family members won’t feel obligated to work in the days before your wedding and on your wedding day.

57 Angel June 2, 2012 at 9:58 am

@Kelly: My father “uncle Bill” is more than excited to make the cake for Meghann’s wedding. He is not an experienced caterer but when you have a family as large as ours it comes with the territory. I think it is more of a risk to have someone else attempt a family recipe than to have the actual loving family members make the cake themselves. I know this wouldn’t work for every bride, but this cake will be a beautiful sign of love for the newlywed couple.

58 Jennie June 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I don’t think handing a professional a recipe is a “risk” but to each their own.

As long as the bride/groom pay for the ingredients, and the family member his honestly willing to contribute, the idea seems fine. However, it also seems fraught with stress and possible ramifications after the fact. How can you get angry with a family member if the cake doesn’t turn out? etc.

59 Aleyta August 27, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I LOVE LOVE your idea of a family recipe as a cake (and I 100% agree with your opinion of fondant) My mom made cupcakes for our wedding. In fact every thing in my wedding was handmade by a family member. My aunt did my veil, my other aunt did the flowers and centerpieces, my uncle sang as I walked down the aisle, my grandma did the favors (local honey!) etc…We are a tight family and it made the wedding a special memory and was fun to have everyone involved :)

60 Heather June 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

I had a traditional 4 tiered cake. My reception place came with a cake and grooms cake as part of the package deal, so all I has to do was pick my colors/design which I came up with myself. To this day it’s one of my favorite things about my wedding!

61 Katie @ running4cupcakes June 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm

We love cake too. So we had a small 2 tiered display cake and killed 2 birds with one stone and used round cakes for our table centerpieces as well as the majority of our dessert. Each cake was a different flavor too!

62 Mollie June 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

That’s so cool that your cake will be made by your Grandma!
I plan on doing the candy/dessert bar idea formy favors at the reception, too!

63 Laura October 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I am also from Western PA and the cookie table was a must! My grandmother made dozens upon dozens of all my favorites and we too had little to-go containers for our guests. Needless to say, they all went! We ended up doing individual gourmet filled cupcakes instead of a cake and I have no regrets. My cousin recently got married (also in Western PA) and this venue was simply amazing.. thought I’d share with the rest of you who also may not have known about it http://www.corinthian-event.com/wedding.htm I was so impressed!