Summer Dip

by Meghann on May 31, 2012

I updated the Wedding Page! Head over now to check out our plans for the wedding cake. :)

There was no cake around here today (though, that would have been sweet), but there was my new favorite avocado + lemon hummus dip.

I’m sad that I had to use up the last bit of the lemon hummus (I will be buying more), but the truth was there wasn’t that much left. Not only did the added 1/2 an avocado add great flavor to the hummus, but it added some bulk and stretched the last bit to a decent portion.

The avocado/ hummus was the focal point of my snack plate for lunch. Surrounding the hummus I had fresh carrot sticks, green beans, millet pita chips, almonds, cucumber, and jalapeno cheese.

Summer lunch for the win. :)

Have you guys seen the latest issue of People?

Jessica Simpson People Cover.jpg

A friend of mine posted a link to a Yahoo article discussing the upcoming People article about Jessica Simpson (anyone else find it a little amusing that a news source is doing an article on an article in another news source?). The article is essentially a baby announcement piece with Jessica Simpson introducing baby Maxi to the world (and I’m sure People paid a pretty penny for those first photos).

What I found interesting about the article (and most articles that include celeb baby announcements) is how a good chunk of it discussed her plans to lose the baby weight. Granted, I know she’s a celebrity and her body is a big part of her career, but didn’t she just give birth? Give the woman some time to recover first.

Even better, the Yahoo article was titled “New Mom Jessica Simpson: ‘Oh My God, What Happened to My Body?’” Le sigh. She had a 9+lb baby and that’s what you want to focus on? I think if someone asked about my plans for my body a week after birth, I might throw something at them. Hard.

She’s a celebrity, but she’s also a new mom and I’m sure finding a balance between the two is a top priority.

So, please, People Magazine (America) lay off of Jessica Simpson (and all new moms!) about their post-baby bodies. Being a new mom is hard enough on its own. They’ll “bounce back to shape” when they’re ready, whether it be two weeks, ten months, or the simple fact that their bodies will never be the same.

1 Jean May 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I would agree with you, except SHE’S the one making it about her body. She’s the one who signed with Weight Watchers before having the baby. It wasn’t a cheap deal, that’s for sure. People’s the most celebrity-friendly magazine out there, anything they ask her is approved/suggested by her PR team. She wants the conversation to be about her body.

Not sure why I care about this at all, I hate Jessica Simpson! Your lunch looks delicious, I must say!

2 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

You’re right. I’m not sure why I got so worked up on this, I guess cause so many friends of mine are having babies and it seems like the last thing on their mind when they give birth.

3 Jean May 31, 2012 at 4:25 pm

No argument there! No one should have to worry about what their body looks like right after giving birth.

4 Hillary May 31, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I agree. She signed up for this (literally) when she signed on to be a WW spokesperson!
Hillary recently posted..A Blogiversary Treat

5 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane May 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Right on! Why does the media make it so difficult for women? Oh wait, we kind of do this to each other too. If you really take a step back you’ll notice how most of us keep the vicious cycle going. Constantly our own worst critics we are quick to say “I feel fat” to ourselves or in front of friends. I wish we would be nicer to ourselves and to fellow females.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Marathon Training Plan & Birthday Deal

6 Jamie May 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Agreed. I am pregnant right now and my husband already mentioned losing weight after the baby. I told him that if he says anything to me about weight or dieting for a month or two after the birth, he will regret it!

7 Michelle M. May 31, 2012 at 3:59 pm

First of all – I purchased the lemon hummus @ Publix today. <3!!!!!!!!!!!! They have chile lime that I will be returning for! YAY for fun Hummus flavors!

2nd- Jessica Simpson is beautiful either way. Bigger or smaller. BUT the last thing I thought about after I gave birth to my child was my body bouncing back. I love fitness/exercise but it took almost 2 years to get back to my normal self. Things feel different sometimes after you have a baby , and not in a good way. So I took my time and here I am 3 years later in the best shape of my life :)
Michelle M. recently posted..Happy Birthday to KK :)

8 Jamie May 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Normally I agree with you but in this case, she is the one who signed an endorsement with Weight Watchers and has been discussing her plans to work on her post baby body since before Maxwell made her arrival.

Now, I was pretty annoyed with all the media coverage harping on her for being so huge during pregnancy and joking or speculating about how she might be further along than she claimed and/or throwing caution to the wind and just gorging herself. Women aren’t robots and they don’t all have the same pregnancy…some women gain a ton of weight even when they are maintaining a healthy life style and some women gain very little weight. Also, some women have 5 pound babies and some, like Jessica Simpson, have 9 + pound babies.

9 Annette @FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

That lunch looks awesome!

I think she likes the attention, personally. But I agree on the sentiment that it is NEVER a good idea to talk about a woman’s weight -whether pregnant, just had a baby, or not. It’s just exploiting women’s insecurities on a big scale…and apparently that pays. It’s all lame to focus on weight. What kind of a message are we sending out? That all Americans care about is how they look and what they weigh? It’s so sad to me.

But on a different note- her baby is really cute ;)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Heart Pumpin’ Workout

10 Emily@SavoryandSavage May 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I think losing weight would be the last thing on my mind if I had a newborn at home. I mean – c’mon enjoy your new baby for a while – jeesh.

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 31, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’m not surprised in the least about them focusing on her weight. That’s Hollywood. And that’s also what seems to sell magazines! Crazy!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

12 Jamie May 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Gooood looking lunch!
Jamie recently posted..Memorial Day Duo: Homemade Pita Chips and Guacamole

13 Cait's Plate May 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Love the avocado/hummus dip idea! I’m definitely going to do that.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Balanced Meals

14 Morgan May 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

If you believe a good portion of what is out there about Jessica Simpson, she is pretty money hungry since she shopped around for $ for baby pictures, immediately signed on weight watchers when she was pregnant, and, supposedly, tried to get a large sum for her pregnancy announcement. I really have a hard time feeling sorry for her and her multi million dollar empire. She got $80,000 for the pictures and already has millions.

15 Laura May 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I wouldn’t feel too concerned for Jessica Simpson. She’s been discussing her plans for weight loss post-birth since she announced her pregnancy. She signed a pretty hefty deal with Weight Watchers and has been talked excitedly about losing weight for months. She seems to be the one wanting the attention on her weight loss, not the media going after her.

In most other cases though, I would agree. This is just an exception.

16 Christine @ BookishlyB May 31, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I don’t think we should harp on new mothers’ weight, but the girl gained like twice as much as she needed to and hasn’t tried to hide it from ANYONE. There are plenty of celebrities who keep things on the downlow (Isla Fischer, Natalie Portman, etc…), Jessica Simpson CHOSE not to. I don’t feel bad for her in the slightest.

Oh, and selling off your baby pictures is crazy tacky.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Let’s Go Back to College

17 Lindsay May 31, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Totally agree! I heard she has said she wants to lose something like 60 pounds post-baby. No way that is all pregnancy weight, and regardless, she’s the one talking about losing the weight and putting herself in the spotlight. There’s a delicate balance here because she’s a celebrity. On the one hand, she’s setting an unrealistic and unhealthy standard for losing pregnancy weight, but on the other hand her pre-pregnancy weight gain and eating habits set a bad example at a time when there is a serious obesity epidemic in the country.

18 Stephanie Clement May 31, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I don’t know…. I want to respect her and such but here’s my thought: she agreed to publicize this birth. She agreed to go on Jenny Craig right after- thus forfronting her weight (even before the baby was born). However, the thing I take the most issue with, was her boasting attitude during pregnancy about all that she eats. She famously craved buttered pop tarts. OF COURSE people are going to talk! Its not as if she was eating more of regular, healthy foods and gained weight naturally…she TRIED! I find it really personally upsetting that she put so much focus on her food cravings, size, and weight loss plans during pregnancy. I think she opened the doors wiiiiide open for these comments…

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I fully agree with you for the average everyday woman but Jessica Simpson has been putting it out there ever since she got pregnant. She was banking on her weight loss plan.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..May Foodie Penpals Reveal

20 Beka May 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I totally agree with your point of view. A very large majority of real women do not lose baby weight 5 weeks after birth. And it should NOT be something to even worry about at such a great time in their lives. I blame the Victoria’s Secret supermodel moms for walking the cat walk 5 weeks after giving birth. NUTS and not realistic….
However, I do have to agree with some of the comments about J.Simpson “liking the attention”. She ate up all the fame she got out of her daft chicken of the sea comment. Oy.
Beka recently posted..Sweat Fest and Commitment

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 31, 2012 at 10:57 pm

This has been a huge topic of discussion. I heard it on multiple radio stations this morning discussing how she’s getting paid SO much money to lose the weight with Weight Watchers. They also mentioned they’re sure this was set up prior to her having the baby…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..More Motivation / Keep Reading

22 Grace May 31, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Awe! Her baby is too cute! I agree with you completely:)
Grace recently posted..Learning to relax…

23 Emily N June 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

Yeah, I don’t understand why folks are so concerned. I mean, people were making a HUGE deal about her being so huge while pregnant (wow, huge twice in the same sentence) and now everyone is so concerned about her losing it, including her! Enjoy being a mom, it’ll come.
Emily N recently posted..More from Chicago

24 Erin June 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

Well discussing losing her weight is a marketing ploy. Since Jessica signed a 3 million dollar deal with Weight Watchers, they are trying to build hype for when she starts officially doing that.