How Many More?

by Meghann on May 30, 2012

A few no-no’s I’ve learned at swim practice.

1. Never ask how many sets the coach wants, he’ll always respond with “a bunch”
  2. On the flip side, never ask how many sets you have left, he’ll immediately reply with “until I say to stop”
  3. Never drop your elbows. Otherwise you’ll end up with these.

Bolster paddles. Not fun.

My swimming form is horrendous, I’ll be the first one to admit that. I favor my right side, my arms bend too much when I enter the water, I don’t lift my elbows high enough, etc. etc. BUT That’s why I’m enjoying swim practices with my team so much, instead of doing what I always do – and not seeing any improvements – I have a coach and teammates there correcting and teaching me as I go. Sure, I may have a few choice words for them under my breath during practice, but I know that the 10th extra lap they send me on with paddles (while everyone else is enjoying the kickboard) is for the best.

Today’s practice was heavy on technique and paddle use. We returned to the long course pool (which I’m totally digging by the way) and did a great mix of hard and easy. I really miss documenting my swim workouts on the blog, so I’m going to try my best to remember them as we go. Since I’m really just told what to do when I get there (I love that part about having a coach) and our coach doesn’t give us any specific number of sets (see notes above), this is mostly just guesstimating. ;)

• Warm-up: 300 easy
  • 200 kickboard hard
  • 5 x 100 w/ paddles, buoy, and ankle strap @ 10 seconds rest
  • 8 x 50 @ 1:20 (bolster paddles for last 2)
  • 100 w/ bolster paddles (everyone else had kickboards)
  • 6 x 50 (w/ bolster paddles) 25 hard, 25 medium hard
  • Cool Down: 100 easy

I really, really love the kickboard. I’ve discovered I’m a semi-decent kicker and can semi-keep up with the group with that one. Take the kickboard away – add in the paddles, buoy, and ankle strap – and I’m a floppy mess. :-p

In between all of the sets listed above, Felipe would literally swim right next to us in the water checking our technique and form. Then, between each set, he would give us pointers on what to work on for the next one. It’s a lot to take in sometimes (a lot, a lot, a lot), but the best I can do is take the advice and just try my hardest on the next lap. That’s what training is – learning and adapting until it becomes second nature.

I guess he must have gotten a little tired of my floppy wrists and dropped elbows because the bolster paddles came out during the 50s and I was instructed to leave them on the rest of the practice (booooo). I felt a little funny in them since I couldn’t bend my wrist at all, but I could feel a difference in how my arm was entering the water.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

I had some trailmix around 3:30-ish for an afternoon snack

But it didn’t hold me over at all. I arrived at practice pretty hungry and started asking around for snacks. Luckily Stephanie had some chips that held me over. Lesson learned: I must stock my swim bag with snack just in case.

Since we had to wait for the lifeguards to switch the pool to long course (it was short course when we arrived, but they switch it over at 6:00), our practice ran a little late. By the time we finished at 7:30, I was on the verge of hangry. I politely called Derek and told him there were two options for dinner: Option A: he could start prepping something while I drove the 30 minutes home or Option B: I pick up take-out on my way home. I really, really need to be more prepared with meal planning on my swim nights. I know I leave practice starving and not in the mood to cook. If I was good, I would prep something in advance, but I’m not that good.

Derek ended up selecting Option A, and asked what he could do. I gave him instructions for sweet potato fries and roasted broccoli, and said I would finish the rest when I got home.

When I walked in the door, both the sweet potatoes and broccoli were roasting away in the oven. I picked up a can of chickpeas and diced tomatoes from the pantry and combined the two with a little bbq sauce in a frying pan to finish the meal off.

Considering how I was eyeing the McDonalds on the way home, I’d say this was a pretty decent post-swim meal. ;)

Plus, some ice cream for dessert.

I am exhausted. My shoulders feel worked and I could definitely use a comfy pillow to rest my head on.

Good night!

1 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 30, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I am probably the ugliest swimmer and was definitely not a fish in a past life lol. Great job keeping up with those swim practices! You’ll have great form in no time.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Portlandia

2 Angie @ hairbyangie.blogspot.com May 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Mmmm your ice cream looks so good!!! and your tomatoes… mmm… but not ice cream AND tomatoes :) I can’t swim for anything… not good anyway, and I have a GI-NORMOUS pool… what a waste lol
Angie @ hairbyangie.blogspot.com recently posted..Our little pup…

3 Chuck May 30, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Ooooh you got to use my fun paddles!

4 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am

haha – I thought of you as I was using them… especially when Felipe told me I wasn’t allowed to take them off for the rest of practice!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks May 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Gotta love it! I love to swim, so I can’t really ‘feel’ ya on this, but I do understand the arm & shoulder soreness. Ahhhhh feels good, eh?! I too love the long pool.

And yes, I always try and stock up on leftovers so that doesn’t happen-or else then we have 2 hangry people at night… hehe. G’night!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..It’s Okay To Eat Weird Combos

6 Deva @ Deva by Definition May 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Those paddles look really neat – I’d never heard of them or seen them before. I am not a big swimmer, so that is probably why.

As the owner of a newish engagement ring myself (yours is gorgeous!), I couldn’t help but notice that you had yours on while swimming. In some of my “how to take care of my ring” research, I’ve read that chlorine can be bad for white gold, in that it can cause discoloration or pitting of the metal. I don’t know if your ring is white gold or not – mine is – and I just wanted to share :-).
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Summer Cravings

7 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

My ring is platinum. :) I had a good friend tell me once “If you don’t want to lose your ring – just don’t take it off” so I rarely take it off. Luckily platinum is pretty strong and durable (when Derek picked the ring out he made sure to let the jeweler know I would probably be putting it through hell, so she helped him pick something that would last)

8 deva at deva by definition May 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

Awesome :-). I can understand that. I wanted white gold when we picked mine (we went shopping for mine together). I wear mine 95% of the time – i take it off for cleaning, sleeping, and lifting weights. My fiance bought me a ring holder for it to keep it in when I’m downstairs and not wearing it, and it goes in its box at bedtime.

Do you know what kind of band you’ll be getting? Mine is a half-eternity, but we may buy a tungsten or titanium band for me to wear when I want something less “blingy.”
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Summer Cravings

9 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 1:46 pm

We haven’t even begun to look at wedding bands yet. I was thinking about just sticking with a simple platinum band that matched my engagement ring, but who knows. :)

10 Katie @ Creature of Habit May 30, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Not being a fabulous swimmer, it’s hard for me to imagine how those paddles would help. I just see myself with my arms in a weird position trying to flap down the pool. But again, my swimming knowledge doesn’t go far beyond “move arms and legs frantically to get to other side.”
Katie @ Creature of Habit recently posted..Early Birthday Gifts

11 Courtney May 30, 2012 at 11:36 pm

You’re a little dolphin in the water compared to me! :)
Courtney recently posted..The Hoff Burger

12 Sana May 31, 2012 at 12:42 am

Well I am sure your form is much better than mine. I don’t know how to swim!
Sana recently posted..Am I Moving?

13 Heather May 31, 2012 at 1:17 am

i’m envious of your coaching!
even in high school, our coach wasn’t that great… he never got in he water with us! now that i’m getting back into swimming more often (many years later…) i would love for someone to help me improve my form a little
Heather recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately #1

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 31, 2012 at 6:36 am

That’s awesome that you have a team, you’re making me actually miss swim team from web I was younger!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–First Day of Internship!

15 Ashley @ This Is The Place May 31, 2012 at 7:18 am

Oh man, I used to go to masters swim practices at night and DH and I simply designated that “take out night.” There is no way I would cook at 730pm after swimming for 2 hours! I would eat my own arm!
Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted..Cross Training and Refueling…The Fun Way

16 janene May 31, 2012 at 7:22 am

The Huz and I wrote into our vows that whoever gets home first makes dinner, mainly because I dropped the ball on that one last summer… Oops! :)
janene recently posted..Hump Day

17 Emily N May 31, 2012 at 7:49 am

I desperately need to find myself a little swim group like this. I definitely could use some work on my form!
Emily N recently posted..A Little Crosstraining is Good for the Soul

18 michaela May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

You have a good man. My boyfriend would never eat that for a meal.

19 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

He pretty much eats what-ever is in front of him. He went back for seconds so at least I know he liked last night’s meal. (If he doesn’t like it he’ll probably still eat it, but instead of going back for second he’ll have a bowl of cereal).

20 Jessica May 31, 2012 at 9:09 am

My shoulders still hurt this morning!! Can’t wait for the day that all the Xp girls make it out of the water ahead of everyone else :)

21 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

Mine too, but I’ve noticed in some pictures that my shoulder muscles are looking better, so the work is paying off! Woo hoo!

22 Cait's Plate May 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

Haha oh my gosh your coach’s answers just brought me right back to my track workout days! The worst! (In a good way!)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Better Together

23 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Wow! Looks like a tough practice! I will definitely be there tomorrow morning to tough it out with you!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Back Pain

24 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

We missed you!! I think you’ll like the long course – less flip turns!

25 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am

Oh thank goodness! Flip turns = no bueno.
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Back Pain

26 Alyssa May 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am so paranoid about wearing my rings in the water, now I am jealous and want platinum so I don’t need to worry! Where in Baltimore will you be? Need a running buddy? I know some good spots! :)
Alyssa recently posted..Morning workout FAIL

27 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’ll be staying just outside of Baltimore with family. Would love a running buddy, but I won’t have a car and have no idea what our schedule is going to be like up there.

28 Belinda May 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Question on the workout: for the 8×50 at 1:20, does that mean, if you finish your 50 in 1 min, then you get 20 sec to rest, and if you finish your 50 in 1:15 then you get 5 sec to rest, etc?

Thanks! (I’m taking this workout to the pool with me :))

29 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hi Belinda! That’s exactly what it means. If you finish sooner, then you get that much more rest. :)

30 Laura is Undeterrable May 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm

My coach was famous for “one more.” Then after 20 “one mores” I could finally move on.

It’s a trait I inherited from her. My skaters hated me.
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Bloggy Birthday

31 Coco May 31, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Oh man I totally remember that being my least favorite- along with pull buoys! Keep up that practice girl!
Coco recently posted..Leaning on a classic

32 Mary June 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Funny… I so prefer paddles to the kickboard. They make my stroke seem so powerful! I am so slow with a kickboard.