GroupMe

by Meghann on May 30, 2012

I’m losing track of days this week. Is it really Wednesday already? Oy!

Lunch was simple and fantastic.

A 2-egg breakfast taco with the added bonus of sundried tomatoes, spinach, goat cheese, and walnuts.

Yes, walnuts in an egg scramble. They were a last minute addition, but added a nice crunch and nutty flavor to the “taco.” They also totally worked with the other add-ins. I would recommend it. :)

On the side I had some raw green beans. There’s nothing more refreshing in the summer heat than cold green beans.

GroupMe

This isn’t a new app or anything (I’ve used it a few times in the past during group vacations), but I did recently re-discover how awesome it is and figured it needed a shout.

android_icon.jpeg

GroupMe is an application that allows you to add a handful of friends or family into a set of group text messages. If you don’t download the app, the messages are sent right to your normal SMS inbox and are delivered through a single phone number. Each person is assigned a name and you would reply just as you would a normal text message. The message is then sent to every person on the GroupMe list. If you download the app, you can opt to just have the messages sent through the app exclusively (and not worry about wasting texts from your plan if you have a limit).

This app is great for vacations with friends (as we discovered in Vermont), when planning a bachelorette party (I recently created one for Kelly’s!), or just messing around with friends.

Screen shot 2012-05-30 at 3.10.08 PM.png

Courtney created a GroupMe for our XP Multisport team last night and, at first, there was a constant steam of text alerts as everyone had a good ole time going back and forth, playing with the newfound technology. After the initial craziness wore off (and there wasn’t a message every 30 seconds), we found that the tool does come in handy. We’ve already put it use with planning for upcoming events and just letting the teammates know in advance that one of us won’t be at practice. Brilliant.

Do you have any apps that have recently caught your attention and are worth sharing?

1 Sana May 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I love that idea! I could text all the people that come to my class where we are meeting to workout ect.
Sana recently posted..What Makes You Refreshingly Different? {GIVEAWAY}

2 Sarah May 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

my two best friends and i have groupme and LOVE it! we all use to have Blackberries and had our own BBM group but once we all switched to iPhones/androids we needed something new and it’s PERFECT. :)
Sarah recently posted..Summer 2012: GOALS!

3 Lindsay May 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Can you explain what this tri team is and how you found it, etc? Would love to hear the details as it seems like they’ve become your new best friends after only a few swim workouts, and I would like to find something similar.

4 Meghann May 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Actually, this would probably make a great post! The truth is I was friends with a lot of my teammates before hand. We all knew each other through various social media outlets and triathlons and training were a common interest. A few members of the group started meeting as a group for swim practices and Felipe sorta stepped forward as the group coach. I hopped in on the workouts a month ago and we’ve all really taken on the team stance since.

5 Julie @ There and Back Again May 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That app looks pretty cool, and better-organized than plain old group texting! I just discovered a new app that’s pretty neat AND fitness oriented… have you heard of GymPact? Basically you make a “pact” for how many times you plan to go to the gym that week and set yourself a $$ amount that you’ll be docked if you don’t meet your goal (you check in on your iPhone when you’re there). The cool thing is if you DO meet your goal, you get paid from the pool formed by everyone who didn’t! Obviously it’s just for gym-going, not running outside or other forms of exercise, but it’s a great incentive. I started it this week to give it a try and see if I like it!
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..The Opposite of Loneliness

6 Annette @FitnessPerks May 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

What a great idea! This would be perfect for my fam (there are a LOT of us)!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..It’s Okay To Eat Weird Combos

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Great idea, if you have a smartphone! Unfortunately, I still have an old-school one! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

8 Courtney W May 31, 2012 at 8:08 am

You can still be a part of it via texting. Some people with smart phones choose to use texting vs GroupMe to save data.
Courtney W recently posted..Updates and Upcoming Events

9 Cait's Plate May 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oooh love that app! It would be perfect for batch family text messages when traveling!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Walk It Out

10 Beth @ 990 Square May 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm

We LOVE GroupMe! We use it for group texting/chatting. I have a family group, a running group, a friends group!
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 5.30.2012

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’ve never heard of groupme but it sounds pretty cool!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–First Day of Internship!

12 Angie May 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’ve never heard of groupme either…. BUUUUTTTT….

the Zombie Run app is PRETTY AWESOME :)

13 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

This is fantastic!

I’m loving the Tabata Timer app right now.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..WIAW – Fresh Summer Eating

14 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

My friends and I use KIK messenger which does the same.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Alone by Lisa Gardner

15 Quisha May 31, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That group looks like a great idea. I think it makes sense! Clean and easy to use. I’m going to give it a try.

About the reusable cup – I absolutely love them. I have a freezable one that I use everyday in an attempt to not buy iced coffee on the way to work!…. so hard :-/