What do you buy a one year old?

by Meghann on May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!

(Edited to add: I removed the someEcard. I’m sorry if the card came off as offensive, it was not my intention. Memorial Day is a day to honor those who serve our country and protect our freedom. I saw the card pop up in my email and thought it would be cute and ironically funny. I was wrong.)

I hope everyone is enjoying the extra day added to the weekend. I have some work to catch up on so I’m compromising for the day – my head is in my laptop for the first part of the day and the second half will be spent sitting by the pool with friends. I think that sounds fair, right?

I slept in a little bit before taking off on a 6 mile run. The air was thick, hot, and borderline unbearable. Ughhh… not looking forward to training in the summer heat AT ALL. I need to start carrying a water bottle on 6+ mile runs, it’s just too hot not to.

When I ended the run on my MOTOACTV watch, it read “New Distance Record! Congrats!” New distance record? I’ve worn the watch pretty regularly since the Flying Pig Marathon, which meant I hadn’t run anything more than 5 miles in the 3 weeks since. I’m not going to lie, I have really been enjoying the shorter runs and am ok with that. If 6 miles is my new “long run” distance for the summer, that is perfectly fine with me. ;)

I was craving a nice COLD breakfast after my run. Enter my parfait.

• Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Walnuts
  • Vanilla Chobani
  • Strawberries
  • Peach

My favorite summer breakfast. :)

On top of laying by the pool with friends, Derek and I also have a very important task to do today – buy our niece a present! Can you believe Marley is turning 1 next Sunday?!?!? (I swear I was at the hospital watching her being weighed and measured for the first time yesterday!) They grow up way too fast! Way, way too fast!

Derek’s brother and his family moved to Baltimore back in April, so we’re flying up Friday afternoon for the birthday festivities. Our goal is to spoil her rotten while we’re up there (isn’t that the best part of playing the aunt and uncle role?!) and shower her with gifts.

We’re heading out this afternoon for our first round of shopping, but the truth is – we have no idea what to get a one year old. We want something that has some meaning behind it and remind her how much her uncle and aunt love her even though we’re a few states south of her.

Any ideas?!

1 Army Amy* May 28, 2012 at 10:59 am

I buy all the little kids in my life books. You can never have too many!*

2 Samantha Angela May 28, 2012 at 11:04 am

Happy Memorial Day!

I would say to give money. That way the parents can buy something they need for their child or put it into the kid’s savings fund.

3 Kailey May 28, 2012 at 11:06 am

I like in Connecticut and it was 64 at 6 a.m. so I can’t even imagine what it was like in florida! Summer sure came quick!
Enjoy your day off :)

4 deva at deva by definition May 28, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m in cincinnati and our high the past couple days has been in the mid-nineties. Which is hot for us this time of year. I’m having to adapt for running in the heat + humidity.

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

A swimsuit and hat for the summer!

6 Erin May 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

You do realize Memorial Day is meant to honor those who have served and died for this country, right? As the daughter and granddaughter of veterans (Vietnam and WW2) I find the image you chose to head this post quite offensive. There’s a lot more to Memorial Day than beer and BBQ.

7 Lauren May 28, 2012 at 12:09 pm

That parfait looks delicious! I think 6 miles is my favorite distance because you can finish in an hour.

Our favorite toys when my son turned 1 were sand toys. They’re small, portable, and inspire creativity

8 Cindy May 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

A recordable book! You can record you reading it so she can always hear your voices :)

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Aww that’s a cute idea!!

10 Sarah May 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm

A fun tent! We bought my 1 year old niece a tent and she loves to play in it. I also love to buy special children’s books that we sign little messages into on the inside cover.

11 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 28, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Books at 1 yr old are a huge hit. Like the commenter from above, a recordable book is a great idea!

12 Laura May 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I have a three-year-old neice and for her first birthday I got her a new bathing suit and some fun summer toys. It has become a tradition and now every year she gets a new suit and some new fun summer stuff from Aunt Lala (beach toys, sprinkler, pool toys, etc)! She loves it. Maybe you could do something like that…start a fun tradition for Marley from Aunt M and Uncle D! :)

Being an aunt is so fun…yall have a fun trip!

13 Morgan May 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Yes, it’s about more than “an extra added day to the weekend.”

14 Amanda May 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Puzzles,books, something to push like a baby stroller complete with baby doll for dramatic play, little kitchen, little train set, big crayons and paper( perfect age to start scribbling!) little tent to play in, big Legos. So many options I just listed ones my daughter likes! ( she’s 20 months)

15 Amanda's Notebook May 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’m not sure how much time you have, but my favorite presents to give are personalized ones. For a 1-year-old you can get something that grows with her, like a step-stool with her name on it. That way when she starts walking and climbing she can use to it reach higher places, like the sink to brush her teeth or her shelf to get toys.

Have fun spoiling. :)

16 Michele May 28, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I don’t know how to help with the 1 year old thing

but i saw this the other day and thought i HAD to share it with you!

maybe make it for the parents? ;)

17 Sneakers2Sandals May 28, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That parfait looks flipping delicious. 1 year olds are easy to shop for but hard to buy something meaningful for. If you want her to actually use it it’s probably not going to be anything that will last past her 2nd birthday (due to playing with it and also growing out of it age wise).

1 year olds LOVE things that they know about (ie. fire trucks, animals, blocks). I always say a children’s book is the best way too go because kids of all ages like to be read too and a children’s book can last them into their older years. I love revisiting my own children’s books. You can buy her a few good ones (I can give you some names) and put it in a cute reading bucket or something.

18 Annette @FitnessPerks May 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm

A fun book with lots of fuzzy pictures and pop outs (and one that is ‘chewable’) and soft.

That b-fast looks awesome :)

19 Allie May 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm

it’s not just an extra day added to the weekend- it’s a day to honor those who have given their lives for the freedom you enjoy.

20 heather May 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm

My kids both have blankets from their aunt who lives 3 states away that they love. Books and stuffed animals or a photo album with pics of family who is far away that way they are not as much of a stranger.

21 Sana May 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm

:) Yay! Baltimore is so much fun (I am not saying that just because I live nearby), enjoy your trip!

22 Dana May 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Books or toys. That way every time they read/play mom or dad can remind them “That’s the toy/book Aunt Meghann got you!”
For the parents’ sake though, make sure that toys have nothing that might possibly require batteries. :)

23 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Someone gave us a picture frame that had 12 cutouts to put a picture of our daughter from 1 month to 12 months…I thought it was such a cute idea and it’s now hanging in her bedroom, something we will always treasure :)

At one year, my daughter also loved any kind of toy she could push around or scoot on. And of course books are a great gift :)

Looks like your basil plant is surviving!!

24 Rachel May 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I agree with everyone who said books – they will last a long time, and every time it’s read to her, she’ll think of aunt Meghann! One of my favorites is Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems. It’s super-fun to read out loud, and when she’s a little older, it will become a participatory read – she’ll get to say NO! about 25 times, which is always fun for little ones. My niece, who is now 10, still asks me to read it to her occasionally!

25 Errign May 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Hi Meghann,

Sorry, but I’ve got to chime in with the other comments expressing dislike over the chosen image/your attitude about Memorial Day. Yeah, it’s a three day weekend, but I think a lot of people tend to forget that it’s also intended as a day to honor and remember the men and women who have served in this country’s Armed Forces. Those people give up their holidays, their time with their families, and sometimes, their lives to protect this country and all of the freedoms we as US citizens enjoy. I hate to leave a downer comment, but that image really rubbed me the wrong way since I lost a friend in Afghanistan two years ago.

26 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane May 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm

ok that parfait looks really good right now!!!! Just had to say that :D

27 Heather May 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I really enjoy your blog but I have to say I also find this post to be offensive. It’s one thing to say “Happy Memorial Day” which is in itself a clueless statement as there is nothing happy about mourning our service members killed in war. But this took it even further by stating it was just an extra day off. As a military wife I can say that there is a lot more to this weekend than beer and bbqs. I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.

28 Miranda May 28, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Take this “extra day” to remember. The fact that you can sit at home and write this blog is because men and women die for your right to do so.

29 Alexis May 28, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’m sorry – I’ve never commented before on this site, but I enjoy reading it and think Meghann is adorable. I didn’t get a chance to see what ecard she posted, but I wish I would have. I’m sure it was never meant in disrespect or harm, so please, don’t chastise. If you don’t like it, go onto the next blog. It’s a shame that we choose to reprimand those we intentionally visit online.

30 Liz May 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You don’t think that this comment is also chastising? If you don’t like the comments, ignore them, move on.
The issue is that, as someone who writes for a living and publishes a blog for a living, Meghann should probably think her actions through a little bit more, and remember what it is she’s putting “out there” for the world to see. By publishing her life in a blog format, she’s inviting people to comment, both positively and negatively. If she chooses to ignore the negative aspect of the commentary, that’s her choice, but she should expect people to point out negatives as well.

31 Alexis May 28, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Love that I’m getting nasty comments for being nice! Makes me never want to comment again because I’m trying to be kind and encouraging. I know Meghann’s job and am so glad it’s not mine! There is no other profession that I know of where where people can bully anonymously. Enjoy your holiday weekend Liz! And you too Meghann! You are going to make a stunning bride!

32 Liz May 29, 2012 at 6:22 am

By nice, you mean nice to Meghann, and not to anyone else.
Telling people in your best kindergarten teacher voice not to say mean things about other people because it was not intended to be disrespectful, when it most certainly was disrespectful, intent or not, is not being “nice.” It’s playing the “Oh, see! She’s sorry! So it’s all better now!” game.

33 Lacey May 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm

It’s so typical that someone so self-obsessed as you can’t see that Memorial Day is meant to honor and remember those who gave so selflessly and continue giving every day so that we can enjoy our “extra day off”. Then again, there’s not much that can break your little Meghann’s World bubble is there? The most upsetting thing you seem to ever ackowledge is bland chicken salad…

Please try to act like an adult woman at least once or twice a year, you give the rest of us a bad name.

34 Brittney May 29, 2012 at 2:47 am

Seriously? Meghann, self-obsessed? It’s her BLOG, where she talks about her LIFE. Of COURSE it’s going to be all about her. Not to mention it’s partially a food blog so yeah, she’s gonna talk about her chicken. Seriously there was no reason to come on here and be so nasty. It’s easy to have an attitude like that when you have a computer to hide behind.

35 Shannon May 29, 2012 at 8:36 am

Lacey and Liz, if you think her blog is so self-obsessed do not READ it, I’m sure not everyone likes you in your career or agrees with all your decisions, so the picture might have not been that funny and it would have been nice if she had mentioned the troops but my grandfathers had been in the Army and I’m sure they would have found it funny.

36 Suzie May 29, 2012 at 10:53 am

um tons and tons of people take this day to eat food/bbq, why is meghann considered offensive for stating that?

37 Liz May 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

It was the card, which downplayed the seriousness of the day. I understand that people choose the day to mark the start of the summer. If you’re going to celebrate in that way, then great. But don’t make a mockery of the actual point of the day, which is I think what the issue was. I don’t mind if people don’t honor the military on Memorial Day, but don’t make fun of the real reason behind the celebration.
Meghann, I appreciate you removing the card and making an apology.

38 S May 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I think you all need to chill out about the e card. She didn’t mean it to be come off anyway. Get over it. As Americans we all know that freedom isn’t free. So yeah I appreciate all the armed forces do, but the bottom line is it was an ECARD! meant to be funny. lighten up and learn to take a joke. Oh and all you people saying that Meghann is self absorbed or whatever, uh yeah she is. ITS HER BLOG!!

39 Rachel May 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I think it is a great show of character to see someone now-a-days who takes into consideration the feelings of others. Meghann, I appreciate your humility in this situation and I can’t help but respect the crap out of you for being so willing to make something right. Thanks for being so awesome! Love the blog! :)

40 JenL May 30, 2012 at 12:05 am

Seriously!? People, don’t be so damn sensitive! Don’t continue to read the blog if it is offensive to you. That wasn’t even bad, how do you even live in the real world if that ecard offended you so much!? WOW!