You Win, Bike Trainer

by Meghann on May 24, 2012

Bike trainer: 1 Meghann: 0

I pulled the bike trainer out of the cobwebs today. I was hoping to get a ride in while catching up on Tuesday’s season finale of Glee (*tear* So I’m confused…. is half the cast leaving the show or what?!)

Anyways, it’s been a long time since I’ve hopped on the bike trainer and I forgot how much of a pain in the booty it can be. The first time I thought I had the bike in the slot, my back tire wouldn’t move. When I lifted the bike out of the trainer the back tire came off with it. It took me 10 minutes alone just to figure out how to get the tire back on (the chain had come off by the pedals, which was throwing me off).

Then once I put the bike back in the trainer, it wouldn’t stay straight up. I would lean to one side and the back tire would push on one side of the stopper. By this time Derek was up and he was getting a kick out of watching me wobbling in and out of the bike with my clip-ins on trying to figure out what was wrong. A couple of times I thought I had it right, only to fall out of it again.

By the time the hour long episode of Glee was over, I had gotten maybe 10 minutes on the actual trainer total and Maddie was refusing to speak to me ever again. (She no likey the bike trainer)

You win, trainer. You win.

I finally gave up and placed my bike and trainer to the side. Instead I did Tone it Up’s recommended workouts for yesterday: Sunkissed Abs and She Sells Sea Shells by the Seashore. At least I got some sweating in. :)

The workout was followed by a bowl of cereal.

• 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon H2H
  • 1/2 cup Wheat Chex
  • walnuts
  • Plain Chobani
  • strawberries

Look who is finally speaking to me again.

MaddieLap.jpg

It took her a while to forgive me for getting the big scary trainer out, but she’s starting to come back around. :)

A big CONGRATS to Leslie, the winner of the case of Whole Foods Mangos!!!

Is there any pieces of equipment that scares your dog or cat? Maddie is pretty much afraid of everything, but vacuum cleaners and bike trainers seem to put her over the edge.

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

My pup loathes the vacuum. Everything else, she could care less! I am going to have to get a trainer one of these days. They are so cool! But then I would prob have to ride my bike more…. ehh maybe not ;)
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Healthy Competition

2 Annette @FitnessPerks May 24, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh sad!! I would’ve been so bummed if that had happened–but way to keep your chin up and try something else :)

3 Kathy May 24, 2012 at 10:41 am

OMG the ironing board….I think I MAY bring it out once every 3 months or less but when I do she FREAKS! (Once when she was bugging me I even went to the closet and touched it and she ran…ha! The power in a board!)

I think its the high screech sound it made when I opened it and then the odd shape of it…too funny!
Kathy recently posted..Stuft Flat Kitty….sighting…

4 Cait's Plate May 24, 2012 at 10:42 am

My sister’s dog is afraid of EVERYTHING! I guess being a little dog is hard in a big world.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Put Me In Coach

5 Laura May 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

Leland (my JRT and Maddie’s twin) isn’t scared of much. When you bring the vacuum out he just looks at you annoyed.

Biscuit (the Chiweenie) is scared of everything. People standing up, sudden movements, loud noises. Everything. Poor baby :(
Laura recently posted..Learning to Breathe

6 Kasandra May 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

My cat Licorice is terrified of everything, especially new people and sudden movement/sounds. My other cat Dante is terrified of one particular hairbrush, the hair dryer, and my medicinal ball. But the worst is the hair dryer – if it comes out and he’s around, he freaks out (and if you’re holding him, be prepared to be clawed!).
Kasandra recently posted..Lucille Roberts Makeover

7 Lindsey May 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

My cat is scared of everything! haha Any loud noises, even the phone sometimes, she is a total wimp!
Thanks for sharing the Tone It Up workouts, I have been looking to switch things up and might need to try some of them.
Lindsey recently posted..A Birthday Post

8 Megan @ Megan's Munchies May 24, 2012 at 11:05 am

My dog is scared of the sound of the garbage trucks! When they come down the street, he starts shaking!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Batman Cupcakes and an Update

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 24, 2012 at 11:15 am

I brought my bike into the apartment once and my cat freaked out. At first he was afraid of the bike and then he tried to chew the spokes of the tires. It was really strange!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Tri Training Update

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

Awww poor maddie! I only have a goldfish and the only thing I’ve noticed him shy away from is my iPhone when I try to take a picture of him!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

11 Amanda May 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

My mom’s dog barks at anything with a motor in it: vacuum cleaner, power drill, you name it. He literally bites onto and tries to tear up the vacuum cleaner when its on.

12 Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy May 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Haha! Good for you for even ATTEMPTING to get it out! I would take one look at that puppy, say to myself “eff this noise” and go for a run instead.
Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy recently posted..New Mantra (or attempt at a mantra)

13 wesley @ the way home May 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm

oh my goodness i wish i had a video i could show you of my german shepherd attacking the hose on my vacuum. she either loves it or HATES it, and german shepherds, as sweet as they are, can look REALLY mean when they are biting at things! she also does these little half-jumps on it, which is just hilarious. this can get in the way of cleaning, but i’d say the entertainment is worth it.
wesley @ the way home recently posted..take a picture it’ll last longer

14 Kelly May 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

My cat freaks out when my husband dumps ice in his cooler. She now waits until he dumps it in before she comes into the kitchen wanting to be fed. She also hates the vacuum but I think that’s normal.

Sorry you had a rough time with the trainer. Hopefully you will get more practice and it will be easier.

15 christine @ BookishlyB May 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm

One of my dogs is scared of nothing- he’s the dumber of the too. The Golden is scared of every single appliance and kitchen accessory known to man, as well as the broom, mop, and bar stools.
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Document This- Inter-City Kids, Superheroes, and Nutrition

16 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

My dog hates the vacuum, lawn mower, big trucks, the garage door opening – basically loud noises!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Three Things Thursday

17 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

My dog is afraid of the sounds of popping oil like when panfrying anything, she hides under the table. Dogs are nuts!
Meghan @ Run With Meg recently posted..Ready for that 3 day weekend!

18 Cat May 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

How are you setting up your trainer? Do you have a block or some books underneath the front tires? This will help a lot and simulates real riding more closely. Also, it’s easier if it’s on a carpet or rug, so you aren’t slipping.

19 Army Amy* May 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Maddie is so cute! Geronimo loves it when he hears my Garmin beep because he associates that sound with running, which he can’t get enough of. He isn’t afraid of any of my workout equipment, but he is pretty much afraid of everything else. (Car doors slamming, construction noise, other dogs, the list goes on.)*
Army Amy* recently posted..Three Things Thursday: The Birds Edition

20 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life May 25, 2012 at 11:17 am

My dog Laney is petrified of the vaccuum cleaner. Whenever I bring it out, she runs around the house like a mad woman (mad dog?) and hides all of her toys behind the couch. I’m pretty sure she thinks that the vaccuum is going to eat them all.

21 Vince July 31, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I store my bike inside, and if my cat hears just one click of the freewheel, ears are up in a panic. By the second click he’s diving behind the couch or out the window. He can bite the head of a gofer in half, but that Trek is too much for Frankie. Never harassed, just does not like the high pitch tick of the freewheel.