Fruit + Nut

by Meghann on May 23, 2012

Looks like the Clif Bar fairy paid me a visit today. :)

Clif Bar recently released a new line of Kit’s Organic Fruit + Nut Bars; a 200 calorie or less, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free fruit and nut bar made with just a handful of organic ingredients.

Basically, they’re CLIF Bar’s version of a Lara Bar. Just fruit and nuts, nothin’ else.

I’m not the biggest fan of the fruit and nut bars on the market. They’re something I tolerate on occasion, but nothing I particularly crave. I think the fruit or date base of the fruit and nut bars are what turn me away. If I do eat one – the nuttier, the better. The nut-based flavors (like peanut butter) seem to always be the safest bets.

Dates. Peanuts. Almonds. Salt. At least you can’t go wrong with the ingredient list here.

It tasted just like a peanut butter Lara Bar – very peanut buttery with only the slightest hint of date. Still not heads-over-heels in love here, but I did enjoy and finish the bar.

If you love Lara Bars, these babies may be a cheaper alternative. I just wish date wasn’t a requirement with making these type of bars, I’d probably be a bigger fan if it was missing.

Are you a fruit and nut bar fan?

I had the CLIF bar on my way out the door to meet my friend Courtney at TeBella.

Love Tebella and love any excuse I have to visit. I walked in requesting a black fruity tea to combat the awful heat and the very polite staff recommended the Strawberry Mango, iced. Yes, please!

Perfectly refreshing. Can’t go wrong with a good cup of iced tea.

Courtney treated us both to macaroons to nibble on with our tea.

I had the pistachio, which was very mild. Not too sweet and not too pistachio-y, yet melt-in-you-mouth delicious.

Courtney and I had a very interesting chat that covered everything from Fifty Shades of Grey (she got the first book as a gift for her birthday and is two chapters from the ending), to upcoming training schedules, to all things blog related. You know you’re in the company of a good friend when conversation easily flows from one topic to another and an hour feels like a minute. Seriously, the hour went too fast!

We left TeBella and headed to meet the rest of our team at the pool for swim practice.

Today’s practice was tough. Lots of short, fast sets that had me feeling exhausted not even 30 minutes into practice. I’m getting better at flip turns (and try to do them at every end), but the more exhausted I become, the worst i get. Water up the nose, horrible form, missing the side of the pool, and struggling to reach the surface in time to catch my breath are just a sampling of what happens. I missed a couple of sets simply because I was so irritated with my performance. My leaking googles didn’t help either – I need to remember to invest in a new pair before the sprint tri on Saturday.

Even with all the bad, there was good. I’m proud of myself for pushing through when I was on the verge of throwing in the towel in the pool today and proud of myself for semi-keeping up with the pact. (And by semi-keeping up, I mean I finished the sets, just in my own time with less rests in between. ;) )

I left the pool ready for bed. Man, the pool really takes it out of you!

Once again, I was much too lazy to make dinner and just relied on last night’s leftover corn cakes and salsa for dinner.

With two eggs for a little boost of protein.

And an Attune Bar for dessert.

Now I’m ready for bed. Sooo ready for bed. I’m going to sleep good tonight!

Good Night!

Don’t forget! Last call to enter to win a case of Whole Foods Mangos!

1 Annette @FitnessPerks May 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I am SO tired too!! Great job on finishing –no matter what!

And yes, I see your point with the bars. I like ‘em if there are almonds OR chocolate (or both) in them. Or else it is so not worth my time or calories. Haha.

Sleep tight!

2 Sana May 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Clif bars rule!

3 Rachelle May 24, 2012 at 1:21 am

Here are some goggles that I have found that work well and don’t leak. Plus they can be easily boughten from a sports goods store:

Speedo Women’s Vanquisher Goggles

My favorites for swimming outside:
Speedo Vanquisher Mirrored Goggles

and

Speedo GCG Mirrored Googles (used these for competition)

4 Meghann May 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

Thanks Rachelle! This is helpful :)

5 pluvk May 24, 2012 at 2:35 am

I have yet to try a Clif or Lara bar… They look good, but I keep thinking that I’d rather get my calories elsewhere. I have a feeling that if I try one, I won’t be able to stop!! :-)

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 24, 2012 at 5:36 am

That’s too bad that they are just like Lara bars. I like Lara bars but don’t love them, I miss the texture of Luna and cliff bars! I was hoping these would be good since I can no longer eat gluten or soy. Oh well, I’ll just have to make my own!

7 Nicolette May 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

You’re totally not alone on fatigue getting the best of your flip turns (and I’m glad I’m not alone either!)
In highschool I did competitive swimming and after what felt like a million laps my flip turns would just not happen at all. But, same as you, I was just so happy I had finally learned how to do them!

8 Sarah May 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

honestly as much i’ve tried to like fruit + nut bars, i can’t do it. dates totally turn me off no matter what way, shape, or form they’re in.

9 Cait's Plate May 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

Oooh I haven’t seen those Clif bars yet! They look yummy!

10 Laura May 24, 2012 at 10:15 am

You inspired me to try my first flip turn last night. It was… interesting.

I’m not really a fan of fruit and nut bars. The closer it is to a candy bar, the more I like it. That’s why I don’t eat a ton of bars :)

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

i love Larabars so these are probably just my thing. :)

12 Katie@PopCultureCuisine May 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I think when I first heard about Lara bars I tried them and kept trying them in hopes I would like them because I really “should” given so many healthy bloggers LOVED them. I have even made versions of my own, but I’m with you, there just isn’t enough texture and too much date flavor to really draw me in. I need my snack bars to have crunch or a distinct flavor other than date to really feel like a real snack for me.

13 Emily N May 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I am with you on the Lara bars, I will eat them, but apparently I am not a huge fan of dates.