Gaining Speed

by Meghann on May 21, 2012

This is what happens when you stop at Publix on the way home from swim practice for the tomatoes and milk to make the original dinner you planned…

you realize actually making said dinner requires work and a bag of steam-in-a-bag edamame and sushi sound so much easier. Pure laziness at its finest. ;)

In my defense, I had a reason to be lazy. Swim class wore me out tonight!  blame Mary!

Mary is a recent addition to our swim practice team and, I have to admit, it’s nice to have a partner who is semi at my level. Everyone else is fast (really, really fast!) and there’s no way I can keep up! But, Mary’s more like me – a newbie who is still trying to find her pace in the water. Coach Courtney gave us a few drills to work on for the first part of practice, then had us raise our heart rates with 6 fast 100s with limited rest in between.

Mary is just a hair faster than I am, so I let her be my pacer for the “fast” 100s. I kept at her feet for both laps, and when we had our first rest I thought the clock was wrong. Our first 100 was 1:30 – that’s about 20 seconds faster than my “fast” 100s were averaging last year. Whoa. I had to ask Mary to make sure we did, in fact, do two complete laps because that didn’t sound right. We had and we also managed to average around 1:35 – 1:40 for the remainder of the 100s.

Well, look at that, looks like these practices are paying off – I’m getting faster. ;) It helps to have a swimming partner at my level to really push me. Just as in running, swimming buddies are the best!

After practice my plan was to make a new Pinterest find for dinner, but I knew that was a goner the second I pulled into Publix for ingredients. At that point I was on the edge of hangry and grabbing sushi just sounded so much better (and easier). All I had to do was throw the edamame in the microwave for 5 minutes and dinner was done.

Plus, I’ve been craving sushi. The brown rice, tuna sushi worked just fine.

And their steam-in-a-bag edamame is top notch. :)

Before practice I had a packet of almonds and some dried apple.

I was craving something refreshing for dessert. The summer heat has me craving fresh fruit and cold chocolate. I had a fresh mango and a chocolate covered piece of toffee.

Perfecto.

I see a book and a bed in my near future.

Good Night!

1 Heather May 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Great job on the swim! I love sushi for an easy dinner.

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 21, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Congrats on getting faster! I always find that I push harder when I workout with other people!

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 22, 2012 at 6:31 am

The sushi and edamame looks so good!! I think I need to grab some of that at Publix for myself ASAP!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 22, 2012 at 7:11 am

Edamame and sushi is the perfect dinner! :)

5 Corey @ Learning Patience May 22, 2012 at 7:40 am

Yum…can’t beat an easy, healthy, delicious meal like that!

xoxo from Trinidad

6 Megan @ Megorade May 22, 2012 at 8:26 am

I love easy meals and edamame is my favorite! I think I might get sushi for lunch! Thanks!

7 Cait's Plate May 22, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’ve never been able to wrap my mind around swimming competitively – I thought running was hard but swimming is like a whole other level! Good for you!

8 Heather May 22, 2012 at 9:13 am

super speedy way to go! I am the same way with training with faster people, just wish I knew more people around here to run with!

9 deva at deva by definition May 22, 2012 at 9:59 am

That sushi looks fabulous! I may have to grab sushi for dinner one night this week. YUM!

10 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 22, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love being swimming buddies. If you were not there to swim with, I would feel completely discouraged being around so many incredibly fast swimmers! It is wayyy more fun to swim along side you!

11 Katie May 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Ok waiiiit – I have never seen Publix brand edamame in the frozen section by me!!! I always end up buying the Cascadian Farms organic brand since that is all we have for some reason! I need to ask the customer service counter to start stocking that in my store….I bet it is much more affordable than what I normally buy! Edamame is one of my favorite snacks…