Bloggers, Birthdays, and Dessert!

by Meghann on May 21, 2012

Whoa! You guys are amazing! Thank you for all the comments on the Steak the Cove 5k race recap. It was one of the most empowering races I’ve ever run and I was more than thrilled to share the experience. Definitely a race worth remembering. :)

After the race I hightailed it home, ate an un-pictured evol breakfast burrito, blogged, showered, and grabbed an apple on my way out the door to St. Pete.

The super, amazing Caroline took the lead this month for the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers and arranged this month’s meet up at Hooker Tea Co. in St. Pete.

I LOVE Hooker Tea Co! We used to have one in downtown Tampa, but it closed down about 6 months ago and I miss it dearly. It was a great place to order a tea and just work for hours on end. They had a great selections of teas, a great staff, and a cozy atmosphere that’s best to just sit and chill. The original St. Pete location is just as amazing – if not better! – than the downtown location and won extra bonus points yesterday for being super accommodating of our 12 person meet-up. We took over our own section of the tea place and spent an hour+ discussing all things blog related in Tampa Bay.

I asked one of the baristas (or are they called something else in a tea place?) for recommendations on a light and fruity tea. She suggested the “Good Morning Sunshine,” which was a minty green tea that smelled wonderful. I ordered it iced and downed it so quickly that I ended up ordering a second before we left.

IMG_3851.jpg

I was also starving when we arrived (the earlier apple did nothing for my hunger). I ordered the spinach and artichoke quiche (delicious!) with a mini chocolate chip muffin and orange slices.

It hit the spot! :)

Tampa Bay ladies rock! :)

If you’re in the Tampa Bay area and would like to be a part of our next meet-up, check out the Facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/TampaBayLadyBloggers – for more info :)

And if running a naked 5k in Kissimmee and attending an awesome blogger meet-up in St. Pete weren’t enough for one day…. a group of us met up at Bern’s Steakhouse for a dinner of dessert in honor of Courtney’s 26th birthday!

I love Bern’s desert room! It truly is an experience just in itself. The dessert room takes up the entire upstairs of Bern’s and is sectioned off into private dining alcoves. Derek and I came here last year to celebrate his birthday and I’ve looking for an excuse to return. Courtney’s birthday seemed like the perfect fit. There’s nothing better than celebrating a birthday with good friends and good dessert… who needs dinner anyways? ;)

I was fading fast at this point and had originally just ordered a cup of Bern’s famous coffee (they roast their own beans on site every morning and it’s out of this world). But, then everyone started ordering “fancy” coffee drinks that sounded amazing and persuaded me to order the same.

I played copy cat to Mary and ordered the “Mint Chocolate Coffee” which was coffee served with mint and chocolate liqueurs, it was heavenly.

The dessert menu was very overwhelming. So many options and everything sounded delicious. I decided I wanted something that was refreshing and not terribly heavy – ice cream was on my mind.

I ended up ordering the Peach Melba Sundae.

The sundae was large enough to feed a small family. I could only manage half of it. ;)

I loved the fresh fruit and extra creamy homemade ice cream. The sundae was just what I was craving.

However, I was a teensy bit jealous about Marcus’ Bacon Brownie + Bacon Ice Cream trio.

Next time I’ll get that. ;)

Happy Birthday, Courtney!!

I was so wiped after our dinner/dessert, that I crashed as soon as we got home. So sorry about not posting last night, but I could barely keep my eyes open!

This morning I ran 4 miles with Maddie (fully clothed – not quite as fun), then did the Tone it Up Summer Slim Workout 3 times while watching “The Pitch” (still not sure how I feel about the show, it’s kinda slow).

Breakfast was a bowl of cereal.

• 1/2 Wheat Chex
  • Mini box of Cascadian Oats and Honey Granola (race swag)
  • ricotta cheese
  • mini chocolate chips
  • fresh strawberries

I can’t believe it’s Monday already! The weekend flew by!

Have a great week everyone!

1 Cait's Plate May 21, 2012 at 10:56 am

Looks like so much fun! All those desserts look so incredible. Is it bad that I want them even though I just ate breakfast? ;)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Apple Crisp Parfait

2 Allison May 21, 2012 at 10:58 am

Yum! Those desserts look awesome!
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

3 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend. I LOVE BERN’S and try to go there a few times a year! The dessert room cannot be beat. Your drink was exactly what my boyfriend ordered last time.

Sad that I missed the meetup yesterday because I had a housewarming to attend. Hope I can make the next one!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Battling my Sweet Tooth

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life May 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

I loved reading your race recap from yesterday! You are one brave lady! :-) I am not sure if I could go through with it or not, but you sure made it sound like fun! I have never been to a restaurant with that many dessert options. It would be hard to pick, but I would definitely go with something chocolate.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Lucky to Know Her: Part 2

5 Katherine May 21, 2012 at 11:40 am
6 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That tea place sounds like such a delight. I’m not much of a coffee drinker, so I always get excited about tea places, since I’m generally interested in the entire drink menu rather than just a portion of it haha ;)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Rogue Reviews: The Woman in the Mirror

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Sounds like quite a day!! I love blogger meet ups, it’s nice to talk to people who totally understand!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..My Time Here is “Wither”ing Away…

8 Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy May 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I still cannot believe that you ran naked! I am seriously so impressed!
Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy recently posted..Why Can’t My Life Be a Vacation?

9 carissa May 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love the dessert room at Bern’s. we went for my bday.a few years ago. I wasn’t impressed by dinner, but really enjoyed dessert!

10 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Busy day but looks like it was filled with friends and fun. I wish I was in Tampa to hang with the Lady Bloggers!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Eating at Work: 4 Ways to Healthy Lunch Success

11 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte May 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I’m looking a little glazed in that first pic, must have been mesmerized by something interesting going on – LOL! The Peach Melba sundae looks delish but my favorite dessert at Bern’s is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle because, well, it’s CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER :-) And the Bern’s Cappuccino is pure bliss as well. I think I need another excuse to go back there….

12 B.o.B. May 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

So nice to meet you yesterday! Congrats on your nekkid 5K. ;)

And, as per usual, your post just made me hungry.

13 Katy @ Couch to 5Kty May 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I just looked at the Bern’s menu and would die for the chocolate peanut butter truffle…I wish we had a dessert room up in Chicago.
Katy @ Couch to 5Kty recently posted..Hot as…

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I’ve always wanted to try Bern’s dessert room. Your sundae looks so yummy!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)

15 Kathy May 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Boy, some how I missed your post about the nude race so I just went back and read it….wow! Way to go! Yea, I could never do that…unless I lost 20 pounds to feel slightly comfortable…even if others aren’t looking I know what it looks like and there’s a lot of hail damage jiggling which would look awful. ;-)
Kathy recently posted..Happy Friday from all of US!

16 Heather May 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

You had quiet the busy day. :) dessert is my fav and those look amazing!
Heather recently posted..20 Years of the Mickey marathon

17 beka May 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Good to see you again too, thanks for taking pics that I’m going to “borrow”(like the quiche and group shot) since I slacked on that part.
Girl, you had a crazy busy day yesterday! I’ve never been to Bern’s, but definitely want to go and gorge myself with the delicious looking desserts! I’ll also have to try the cappuccino Jules mentioned ohhh yummm….
beka recently posted..Sunday Funday and Cruise 2012 – Day 7 at sea

18 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Mmm…your dessert sounds perfect, I’m totally into fruity desserts now that summer is approaching! What a great idea to have a dessert party to celebrate a birthday :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Homemade French Bread

19 Bethany May 22, 2012 at 8:24 am

the bf and i ate at bern’s when we were visiting st. pete about this time last year – had a great dinner of oysters, steak, wine and afterwards we looked at the dessert room but had no stomach space left… maybe next time. your peach melba looks good but i’d probably go with the bacon fest next time too! have you done the bern’s “behind the scenes” tour? it’s amazing all of the training that goes into being a server there!

20 Katie May 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Bern’s dessert room is so fun: we went for my mom’s birthday recently – everyone ordered something different and we were stuffed. http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2012/04/harry-waugh-dessert-room/ I have to say, I was the most jealous of my dad’s order: the banana cheese pie. I normally do not like banana desserts, but this one was absolutely amazing…light and fluffy and the cream cheese to banana flavor ratio was perfect. I think I’ll order that one next time…and ask them for a side of their homemade hot fudge…so good. Also – their macadamia nut ice cream is to die for…just a dish of it with hot fudge. Ok, I will stop talking about dessert now…
Katie recently posted..Links loved (and a giveaway winner)!