Streak the Cove 5k

by Meghann on May 20, 2012

Here’s something I never thought I’d say… this morning I ran 3.1 miles. Naked.

Yes, naked. As in nothing on top and nothing on bottom – fully nude. It was… liberating. Probably one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had and I’d do it again in a heart beat. ;)

I first heard of the Streak the Cove 5K back in August (I even wrote a post about it’s sister race – the Bare Dare 5k). I had recruited Pete (the race director) to be on the Dr. Fitness and Fat Guy Show (I used to help them with their scheduling) and Pete and I became e-friends. He spoke so highly of the race that I put it on my calendar as a “maybe” for 2012. When I saw the date was fast approaching, I emailed Pete to tell him I was seriously considering it. He emailed back and offered a free race entry if I agreed to blog about it (as if I would NOT blog about something like this?!).

GetPhoto.jpeg

I registered, but was still nervous about the idea of running fully nude. I kept it as a “mystery race” because I still wasn’t 100% I would do it. I also knew I would be more comfortable going nude if I didn’t know anyone else there. Being naked in front of strangers sounded less terrifying than being naked in front of friends and family. This might be the first race where Derek jumped in and volunteered to be my spectator, and I told him know. Even the idea of Derek being there made me feel self conscious.

The days ticked by and the idea of doing the race seemed less and less intimidating. When my alarm went off this morning I jumped out of bed, got dressed, and headed to the race site just like any other race day.

My stomach was full of knots as I drove to the start (about an hour and a half drive from Tampa). I’m not sure I’ve ever been so nervous driving to a 5k before. I think part of me still believed I really wasn’t going to go through with it, that this race really wasn’t going to happen. I guess that part was the part that kept me throwing up.

I’d never been to a nudist resort before and I wasn’t sure what to expect. When I pulled up and saw the high bricked walls and gated entrance with security, I assumed I was in the right place. The guy at the entrance asked if I was pre-registered for the race, asked for my last name, then told me follow the sign for “event parking.” As soon as I entered, I was surrounded my mobile homes and trailers with multiple couples sitting outside enjoying breakfast. Some were nude, some weren’t. The whole placed reminded me of a KOA.

cypresscove.jpg

(source)

I parked and headed to the registration table still fully clothed. I gave my name, got a shirt, and was banded with a bright orange “age verified” bracelet. That part was easy, however, my nerves heightened as I noticed plenty of fully nude males with running shoes on, but not so many nude females. Most had shorts and a sports bra on, while some had just a sports bra on and nothing else or just shorts on and nothing else (well, except running shoes).

I knew going into this race that clothing was optional, meaning not everyone running was going to be fully nude. I sort of went in with an all-or-nothing mentality and decided I was doing this race fully nude or not at all. I knew once I got to the race start that my opinions would change, so I made sure to wear non-running clothes to the race. I had on a regular bra, a black cotton shirt, and white sweat pants with PINK on the butt and would fall to my knees if I attempted to run in them. In case I chickened out, nothing about this outfit was running approved.

I know myself well. As soon as I saw the other females in running shorts or sports bras, I panicked. I headed back to my car and began tearing it apart looking for something – anything – that I could run in. There was nothing. Damn it.

I sat in my car and took a few deep breaths. I saw a few fully nude women walk by with just their running shoes on, which made me feel oddly more comfortable about the idea of going nude myself. About 10 minutes until the start, I got out of my car and attempted to start to undress, but something about stripping down by my car didn’t feel right. I headed to the bathroom to ease myself into it.

There was a mirror in the bathroom and I knew if I was going to walk around naked outside, I’d have to see what everyone else was going to be seeing first. I stood in front of the mirror and took off my shirt, then my bra, then my bottoms. I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror. I told myself there was no need to be afraid and that I was beautiful. I was strong, confident, and I could do this. Then someone walked in and scared the crap out of me. This was it. Now or never.

I grabbed my clothes and walked outside. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been outside fully nude before, the feeling was… interesting. I felt exposed, but not as exposed as I assumed I would be. Why are we all so afraid to be naked? Is it really that big of a deal? A few guys walked by, but no one looked my way or said anything. They were going about their business, as was I. I took a breath. I could do this.

The walk to the start line was terrifying, but the closer I got, the more comfortable I began to feel in my nakedness. There were hundreds of runners – some nude, some not-so nude – standing around and talking and stretching just like they would before any other race. The normalcy of it all seemed to relax me. People were laughing, joking, and having fun. This was going to be a fun race.

It was crazy how comfortable I began to feel standing around, fully nude, waiting for the start. At that moment I was surrounded by hundreds of nude runners in all shapes and sizes that seemed to strip away my insecurities. I think what a lot of us fail to understand is that none of us look perfect naked. Well, mostly none of us. All of our bodies are so unique, so special, that we’re all “perfect” in our own ways. Honestly, I felt more confident standing around naked, surrounded by other naked women, than I usually do standing in the middle of the mall. These women that were owning their bodies were so inspiring, that they inspired me to own mine along with them. There was no shame – only happiness.

WhitSabrinaShoes6.jpg

(photo credit: Pete Williams)

The countdown to the start began and we all piled around the start line. I stood near the front. They had announced that the top 20 female and male finishers would receive a special prize and my goal became to finish in the top 20.

3…..2…..1….

We were off!

And I was running… naked. This was a first. It felt strange, but not terrible. Honestly, it felt no different than running with clothes on. Actually, at first, it was a teensy bit better. There were no shirts to tug on, shorts to stop from riding up, and no uncomfortably tight sports bra strap digging into me. It was freeing to run nude.

I kept waiting to feel some pain with “the girls,” but they felt fine. They didn’t bother me the entire race. Three cheers for small boobs! They do have their moments sometimes. ;)

“The girls” may have been fine, but my inner thighs weren’t so lucky. Ouch. Major ouch. I’m not sure I’ve ever chafed so much in a race before.I wanted the race to be over quick just so the rubbing (and pain!) would stop.

It was a late race start (8:30am!), so by the time they said “go” the sun was already high in the sky. The race page recommended sunscreen – lots of sunscreen – so I made sure to liberally apply some SPF 30 before the start. It was hot, really hot, and I didn’t drink nearly enough water before the start. When I hit the only water station at mile 1.5, I paused to down two full cups of water.

Since i wasn’t planning to run this race for time, I decided to leave my garmin in the car. I felt like I was running blind. I had no idea how many miles I had gone, how many I had left or what pace I was running. I found a groove with what other people were running around me and sorta went with that. However, I think I went out too fast because I was fading fast at the first mile. I went from being the 3rd lead female to the 5th or 6th. I’m not sure I really cared at that moment. My thighs hurt too much to care.

It was a two-loop course of the resort. A lot of the community had come outside to cheer us on and it was nice to see so many sweet faces cheering us on from their driveways. I smiled and thanked all of them as we passed. When I made the last turn towards the finish I saw a decent size crowd at the finish, who encouraged me to sprint to the end.

With a finish time of 24:26, I was the 6th (7th?) female to cross the finish line and had earned a mini bottle of Streak the Cove wine.

Sweet. :)

There were no chips, no race bibs, and nothing about the timing of the race was official. It’s a fun run, where people come to just run – no strings attached.

There was a post-race party by the pool for finishers. I grabbed a couple of bottles of water and some handfuls of grapes. I was surprised that I wasn’t rushing back to my car to get dress. I was more kicking myself for not having a towel so I could enjoy a dip in the pool.

Runners gathered to discuss this and that about the course, conditions, etc. and, again, it felt like the finish of just about any other race. :)

This race was one-of-a-kind. I never thought I would feel comfortable enough in my own skin to stand fully nude in a crowd – let alone run a 5k! – but I was. The whole race I wasn’t thinking about what was wiggling, what was shaking, or even what I looked like. I felt confident. I felt beautiful. And that feeling was amazing.

I would highly suggest everyone running at least one naked 5k in their racing career. Think of it as a bucket list race. Please DO NOT tell me that “no one wants to see that” Gah – I swear if one more person says that to me… but, you’re sorta right, ONLY instead of “no one wants to see that” it’s “no one cares about seeing that” because THEY DON’T! There were runners of all shapes and sizes out there today and everyone was cheering everyone equally. It was peaceful, encouraging, and inspiring.

I can promise you that I will be rocking my Streak the Cove 5k shirt in the future.

nude 5k

For a nude race, they do provide a pretty cute race shirt. I know this one will be a favorite in my collection. ;)

Have you ever done a nude race before? Would you?

1 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm

so. so. so awesome, the sand bit scares me, though. I mean, not such a good place to get sand.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Out of the Gutter and Back to Drinking.

2 Cecilia May 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Such an awesome, inspiring thing to do!

3 Laura May 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Wait, is this for serious?!?

4 kristina May 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I’ve been anxiously waiting for this post all morning!! It sounds like it was an amazing experience, and you’ve inspired me to do something that I normally don’t do…run in shorts! I know its nothing in comparison to what you just did, but my legs have always been one of my least favourite parts of my body and hate all the jiggling and grossness that goes along with it. If you can run nude (go girl!), I surely can run in shorts! Thanks for that extra motivation ;)

5 chelsey May 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I have been waiting for this recap all morning!!!! When I saw your tweet I thought you were joking, guess not! Ha! I think in the states we are far too concerned about anything that’s considered taboo, including being naked. Go you for having the courage to actually go through with it!!!

6 Orla May 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I have never had the chance to run a naked race, but I did take part in a naked photo shoot with about 2500 others about 4 years ago. It was part of a Spencer Tunick installation in Dublin and it was something I knew i would never get the chance to do again. It was so liberating. No one was staring or weird – not sure why but I thought there might be a few- but it was really well done. And I have a copy of the picture hanging in my downstairs bathroom for all to see. It is something that everyone should try to do in their life! A bucket list tick! Well done. (not sure I would run naked though — my “girls” are not small enough to run unassisted!! :)

7 Rachel F May 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Awesome! Get it, girl!

8 brandee May 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Way to go! I don’t know if I could do it but it totally rocks that you did!

9 Ash Bear May 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I’m not going to lie- when I saw the Instagram picture I thought you were crazy. After reading this I feel like you’re right. While I’m sure the chafing was no fun I’m sure the tshirt and the memory is an awesome one to have and I think that many readers will be inspired. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll do a race in just a sports bra and call that my nude race. :) Go nurse that chafing and tell Derek he’s a lucky guy that he didn’t come out. I’m sure he wouldn’t have enjoyed seeing a majority male nude race. :)
Ash Bear recently posted..Can Your Office Snacks Do This?

10 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna May 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

awesome job!!!! something like this is definitely going on my ‘bucket list’ of races!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: Back to the Gym!

11 Amanda @RunToTheFinish May 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

LLOOOVE IT!! I have often wondered if I would truly have the guts! I agree that I would probably not even want David to come because it would feel like something I was doing just for me.

hilarious that you get a shirt though for a nudist run
Amanda @RunToTheFinish recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Recovery Plan

12 Aubrey May 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yikes, I would probably run my fastest time ever! That’s so scary. Major congrats to you for having the courage to do this.
Aubrey recently posted..What’s in My Bag?

13 Stefanie May 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That sounds like a great experience. I’m not sure if I’m confident running naked but that is just me. Congrats on the great finish.

14 dana May 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

That’s such a cool thing to have on your ‘yeah, I did that’ list in life!
I think my boobs would have definitely hurt…they sometimes hurt in a non-supportive sports bra. Congrats and kudos to you for your bravery!

15 Mary May 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You’re braver than I am, that’s for sure!
Mary recently posted..Date Night (Part 1)

16 emily petersen May 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

wow thats so awesome!!! i think i would def do this! maybe with some friends even! way to go!!

17 Colleen May 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

That is awesome! I don’t know if I’d have the power run a race naked. It is amazing when you see people of all shapes and sizes enjoying themselves and not giving a F what other people say. Some days I am like that, but sadly I tend to be on the other side. Need work to on that.

18 Jamie May 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

This was such a cool post to read. It was one of my all time favs. You have GUTs girl!!! You should be so proud of yourself for being able to do that. I think it would be so much fun to do… I would have to wear a sports bra though…. girls are too big for nude! :)

19 Amanda May 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Wow! Major props to you – I probably would have chickened out!! Very cool!

20 Caitlin May 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Epic!!!!

21 Erica May 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

If you had written this on April Fool’s Day, I would not have believed you. I actually double checked the date. So this is for real?!?! I think I will add it to my bucket list. This scares me more than Tough Mudder.
Erica recently posted..Blog Challenge, Day 20

22 Nikki May 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Congrats on dropping all your insecurities to complete this race. I am not a runner more marathon walker, so that will not be on my bucket list. but I can attest to showering with other women after hockey has made me feel better about all my lumps and skin. It helped me realize no one is perfect out of clothes. It is reassuring to see. Congrats!
I wonder if you put on some glide on your thighs next time if it would be better? I am sure the sunscreen didn’t help! :P
Nikki recently posted..What I’ve been Eating…

23 Angie May 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I kept waiting for the ‘haha’ to this post, but it was for REAL! Eak, never going to happen for me, but hats off to you (and everything else!).
Angie recently posted..Pumpin’ Iron

24 Moose May 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Congratulations on doing the race. I have done my fair share of streaking but never a real race. Not sure my boys can handle a 5k
Moose recently posted..Cigar City Brewing Twilight Criterium

25 peach May 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

That is AWESOME! I grew up skinny dipping and running around naked (that sounds awkward) but I’m not sure I’d even have the courage to do this. This will be a great memory :)
peach recently posted..Oh, hello.

26 emily May 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I am truly inspired by your confidence. I saw on Twitter this morning that you were doing this, and I am seriously, extremely inspired. It makes me realize that I definitely lack some confidence in myself and in my body, and makes me realize that I need to figure this out and be more comfortable and get out there and DO IT!
emily recently posted..New Balance + Westin?

27 Corey @ Learning Patience May 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

i think you just soared to the top of my blog running buddies AWESOME list! Good 4 you, i would totally do it!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Wonton Mini Nacho Bowls

28 Errign May 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m not sure my girls would survive a naked run, but I’d definitely do one in a sports bra! Good for you, Meghann, for conquering your uneasiness :)
Errign recently posted..Funday Sunday.

29 Christine May 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Haha this is pretty badass. Way to go!

30 Jessy May 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I’m not usually a reader of your blog, but mayor props for this! I could never do it, so my hat’s off!

31 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian May 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

When I saw your tweet this morning I was unsure if this was real! wow – sounds like a pretty cool experience and opportunity. I’ve never been to a nudist resort or have heard of a nude run, but this sounds really interesting. Good for you for joining in on the spirit of it. I don’t know if I would have been as brave.
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Five Thoughts Friday

32 Candice May 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Seriously that is amazing. I have never heard of such a thing! Good job!
Candice recently posted..500 Giveaway!

33 bobbi May 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

your amazing I DONT think I could ever do that with my girls :) lol I love you!

34 Katie May 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Way to go! I’m not sure if Minnesota has any nearby nudist colonies, but I would say its something I will consider!

35 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer May 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

At first I thought this was a joke. I did not think I would have the courage to run naked, and I am pretty comfortable with my body. Were there people of all ages there?
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Eat to Live or Live to Eat??

36 Meghann May 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

Yes, people from all ages – young and old. :) There was even a local CrossFit group there of pretty fit looking guys who ended up winning the top spots of the race.

37 Tammy May 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Wo..I thought for sure your post was a joke. Glad that you feel comfortable in your own skin..I could never nor would I ever do that!

38 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I loved reading this post! You are so brave. I do think it’s a shame we put so much stock in being nude when it’s the most natural state. Still, I would have to work up some definite guts to be able to do something like this. Way to go!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Early Start

39 Chatmandu May 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Im tipping a hat in your direction, great effort.
Chatmandu recently posted..Time Lapse Tour of Yosemite

40 Jenn (eating bender) May 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love this, Meghann! You rock. A race like this absolutely terrifies me but after reading your recap I found myself feeling like it would be so freeing to be among people who just don’t care and who are there to have fun with no strings or judgment attached. Major kudos – and yes, cheers for the small “girls,” haha. ;)
Jenn (eating bender) recently posted..One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish…

41 Jennifer Adams May 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I am very comfortable with my body and the idea of doing this made me nervous! I give you props for doing it, props for blogging it!! It kind of makes me want to do one too!! Truly awesome!!

42 Sana May 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

OMG. That is all.
Sana recently posted..A View From My Window

43 Anne Weber-Falk May 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous.
I love that you did this. Growing up I was made to feel ashamed of my body. What would people say if I “bounced” around too much or saw all that cleavage? Shame on me. You are a great example for all of us that think we can’t do something. That life is fun and we should live it to the fullest.
Thank you for that.

44 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl May 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

That is freaking awesome! Kudos to you for doing it. I remember the first time I went to a nudist beach. Was awkward but then became awesome. Glad u had a gr8 time.
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..What’s Baking this Weekend?

45 Gina May 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

You are awesome and epic!! I almost thought this was a joke. How did Derek feel about this? One of the first thoughts that came to my mind was “I wonder what my boyfriend would think if I did this.”

I’m guessing there were no official race photographers there ;) haha

46 Army Amy* May 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Very cool! I admire you for having the guts to run naked and blog about it. I’m sure there will be people who judge you for it, but I love your perspective! Well done!*
Army Amy* recently posted..My Weekend

47 Nikki May 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

So.Freaking.Awesome. Good for you!
Nikki recently posted..Recovery Re-schmovery

48 Kendra May 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Wow girl! If this doesn’t hit the message of body confidence home, I don’t know what will??? Great job!! Aand thanks for sharing!

49 Deb May 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

How awesome is this? I love being naked and don’t care if anyone sees, but my “girls” are way too big to run without a very good bra! Otherwise it sounds freaking awesome! Congrats on getting out there!
Deb recently posted..Day 216

50 Morgan May 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have to admit, this is awesome. I would love to do it!

Although, if your fiance, the man you will marry in mere months makes you “self conscious” while naked, I think you might have other issues to address.

51 CaitlinHTP May 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I think she means that sometimes it’s more embarrassing to do something in front of someone you know than in front of strangers. For example, I can give presentations to groups of 600 people and not bat an eye, but if my husband or dad is in the audience, I get really nervous and shaky.
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Weekend So Far

52 Anne May 20, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Why don’t you let Meghann answer herself?

53 Meghann May 21, 2012 at 9:07 am

I thought Caitlin pretty much summed up what I would have said. She was stepping in and offering her own personal experience and being apart of the conversation. :)

54 jane May 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

im so with you on that!! what is that you think?? and i am sure thats what meghann meant as well.

55 CaitlinHTP May 20, 2012 at 6:16 pm

haha isn’t that weird how we are totally cool in front of strangers but nervous in front of friends? it’s definitely a weird phenomena.
CaitlinHTP recently posted..Weekend So Far

56 healthy ashley May 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I can’t believe you did this.. that’s awesome!!

57 Jess-ThatJessGal May 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

On the bucket list for sure. (with some Body Glide in tow) Meghann I’ve always respected you…but this takes you even higher on my list. Enjoy your Sunday!
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..Lameo Excuses and Broccoli Bowtie Pasta

58 Anne P May 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Omg. So impressed. When I saw this on Twitter I thought you were kidding!
Anne P recently posted..We Did It!

59 Erica May 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thats fing awesome! Good for you! I don’t think Id have the nerve. You rock girl!
Erica recently posted..Chipotle Opens & Itzy’s Kitchen Closes

60 Jess May 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Whoa – serious respect to you for running the Streak the Cove 5K.

So many blogs preach about loving and being comfortable in one’s body, but in reality do nothing to explore their perception of themselves or challenge societal norms relating to appearance. I’d never have the ‘balls’ (literally or figuratively, ha!) to do something like this – good for you!

xxx

61 stacey May 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Good for you!

62 Christine @ BookishlyB May 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Personally, I’d never do it- not because I have body issues, but because I’m a high school teacher and if word/pictures got out I’d NEVER hear the end of it! I definitely understand what you mean about not wanting Derrick there- I think it’s natural to be self-confident in front of people whose opinions you care about.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Applebee’s Again?

63 jennyv May 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Glad you did something outside of your comfort zone that gave you confidence.

It’s something I’ll never do — no bucket list item for me. I’m pretty traditional/conservative and feel that my naked body is for myself and my husband. While I understand it was a non-sexual event, it’s just something that I’d rather not participate in. Plus, boobs fill out a B cup and they would BOUNCE; I can’t imagine feeling free/comfortable without a bra to support them.

The human body is absolutely amazing and breathtaking in many forms. That said, I’m keeping mine under wraps.

64 JessicaE May 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

This is how I feel too :) I love my body and think the human body is beautiful in any form.. but its not for a bunch of strangers to see.

Props to your bravery, for sure.

65 Rachael May 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

My thoughts exactly.

66 Amy May 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I agree! The only person I want seeing my naked body is my boyfriend!

67 Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy May 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm

WOW! You should be SO proud! That is quite the accomplishment!
Madison @ PilatesMakesYouHappy recently posted..A Remedy for Runner’s Toes.

68 Kath May 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm

OMG Meghann….I really had to re-start the post 2-3 times to make sure I hadn’t missed some joke or hypothetical.

Major kudos for your bravery and confidence!!! I can totally see how when “everyone else was doing it” it would feel so natural. A story to tell your grandchildren for sure!
Kath recently posted..Walking Sun Shade

69 Danielle May 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm

OH EMM GEE! I can’t believe you did this! So awesome!
Danielle recently posted..Bravo!

70 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm

You. Are. Awesome. I don’t know if I would have been able to do that! I’m pretty self conscious, but I do think it would be a lot easier when you don’t know anyone!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Faith

71 chandra May 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

OMG! You’re crazy! (In a good way ;) )Huge kudos to you on not backing out – I don’t think I would have even had the guts to sign up for this, and if I did I totally would have just run in shorts & a sports bra when I saw others there like that. Congrats!
chandra recently posted..Don’t Have a Cow

72 Kit May 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Haha literally so cool! Came across your blog when I was searching for running related things, makes a generally very enjoyable read :)

73 AmyC May 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm

This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard! I would totally want to do this with my husband, but preferably after we’ve both retired and we are living on a tropical island somewhere =)

Way to go crazy girl!
AmyC recently posted..Bedford Rotary 12K

74 chris May 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous! This has been on my bucket list for a long time, I am newly inspired to try one!

75 Dori May 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Meghann!!! I am so proud of you! This is awesome and I would absolutely do this race — only I’d need a sports bra on. I can’t even run from the living room to the bedroom braless without holding my boobs because they hurt. I’d actually love my boyfriend spectating, I think it would be hilarious. Maybe we should come down for this next year if you’re up for it again? I think this would be really great to run with a friend. So happy you did it!
Dori recently posted..UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Race Recap: My Brain During a Race

76 Laura S. May 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

That’s amazing!
At first I thought this was some kind of late April Fool’s Day post, but I’ve got to say I’m so proud of you for taking the plunge!! Women are far too self conscious and hard on themselves about their bodies, so I applaud you for your bravery and willingness to share your experience!
Good job!

77 Stacey May 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Nice pic in the car! Did you see there’s a nekked person in the background?? lol Don’t worry. You only see a big naked leg thanks to the frame of the car, but it’s hilarious!

I’m pretty sure I will be asking tons of people whether they would have the guts to run this 5k!
Stacey recently posted..Glazed and Confused at Jax Inaugural Krispy Kreme Challenge

78 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I don’t even know what to say haha. I seriously thought it was a joke … I skimmed through the whole post the first time to see if I found a “just kidding!” typed somewhere! ;)

Wow, lady, good for you. Honestly, there’s a 99% chance that I’d never do something like this. But, never say never. ;) And I truly am amazed and in awe of your courage. Congratulations!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I’ve learned since being married.

79 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Holy Crap Meghann!! This is maybe the coolest thing ever. I wish in my heart of hearts I was brave enough to do something like that. Good for you!!!!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Almost Married

80 emily May 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Awesome! The race sounds fun (and crazy) and your post was great. I’m not sure I’d ever do one though, dd’s make running in a sports bra hard enough!
emily recently posted..Funtastic Friday

81 Jenn May 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm

That’s amazing! I’m going to add it on my bucket list, it sounds so liberating.
Jenn recently posted..Hit a new Milestone Today

82 Niki@justrunninwithit May 20, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Congrats! How awesome! I’ve found that confidence is an important part of being happy :)
Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..Call Me Maybe

83 Victoria May 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm

That is amazing! I would love to one day have to courage. Maybe I will run in a sports bra… maybe.
Victoria recently posted..Fleet Feet Savannah Grand Re-Opening

84 Kristen May 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I think this is pretty badass. Way to go! I guess when you do it again next year you’ll remember the body glide? :)
Kristen recently posted..scenes from running in toronto

85 sally kate May 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I believe after 3 years of reading your blog this is by far my favorite post! How fun is this race?? Colorado State, where I am going to graduate school, just had a similar race where everyone ran in their underwear and donated whatever clothes they wore to the race to Goodwill- I was way to embarassed to do it but I think something about running completely naked at a nudist colony in Florida would make me feel better than running on campus with a bunch of 18 year old bodies :)

86 amanda May 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm

So, so awesome!!!
amanda recently posted..Dear Mom

87 Heather May 20, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Reading this hurts my boobs. : ) So awesome!

88 Kara May 20, 2012 at 5:49 pm

At first I thought you were just referring to running without a GPS watch, haha. Obviously you are way more hardcore than that :) That’s amazing you found the courage to do this, congrats!
Kara recently posted..Brooklyn Half-Marathon Race Recap 5/19/12

89 cathy@1970kikiproject May 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

too awesome – way to go!!
i think i could be talked into this…but i would find it easier to go with a friend!
it’d be funny to add in compression socks!
last year, i did 41 new experiences to celebrate turning 41 years old. a naked race would have been a good one!
cathy@1970kikiproject recently posted..five for (a long weekend) friday

90 Hillary May 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

My boobs hurt just reading this.

; )

Seriously, though. This is awesome.
Hillary recently posted..The Foodie Experience

91 Kat @ Balance & Spice May 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

That is so amazing. Great work and what a way to boost confidence and clarity around goals! I’d love to try one myself.
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Why I (Only?) Work Out Five Days Per Week

92 Cait May 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I would never do that! wow! who knew there was such a race? lol

93 jane May 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm

i laughed the entire way through this post. when i got to the picture of you in the car i almost spit my drink out! so freaking funny and so good for you! at first i was waiting for you to say-JUST KIDDING-and so glad that there was none of that! i also kept thinking, oh yea, i would do that…but when you describe taking off the clothes, going to the starting line, etc. i felt my stomach lurch with nervousness. GOOD FOR YOU! :-)

94 Lindsey May 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm

That is awesome, good, no great for you! I am not sure I could do it to be honest!
Lindsey recently posted..Edmonton Date Day!

95 Kayla Moothart May 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

You are very brave! Mad props! I couldn’t do it without a sports bra… I have too much going on in that region. But I would maybe give the rest of it a try… maybe…. Way to go!
Kayla Moothart recently posted..Ready to Rock and Roll!

96 Jen May 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

You truly are an inspiration! I cannot imagine how nervous you must have been driving to that race. I hope to one day have as much confidence as you do! Congrats girl!
Jen recently posted..Race favorites

97 BroccoliHut May 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Well, you rock for doing this! The race is such a cool way to celebrate our fit and strong bodies!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Orange-Sesame Shrimp & Vegetables

98 Robin May 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm

You have just earned so much more love from me by posting this. Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration!
Robin recently posted..I am Strong for Me

99 christieo May 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

DUDE. I’m proud of you for doing this. This one’s crossed my mind but I’m afraid of the naked running. I FEAR the naked running. Perhaps this one is a bucket list race for me! I think it’d be fun. Congrats, girl. LOVE THAT YOU DID THIS!
christieo recently posted..And Then Just Like That…It’s Over.

100 Mary May 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

You. Go. GIRL!
Mary recently posted..Run Raleigh Half Marathon Race Recap

101 VanessaG May 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Wow!! That’s about all I can say! I could NEVER do that. Honestly, I have no desire to do it either. The only place I want to run naked is in my house. I bet the adrenaline rush you got was crazy!! Glad you acvomlished something off your bucket list. It took guts!

102 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Oh my gosh thats so awesome! I don’t know if I could ever do it (maybe with some peer pressure, or a shot or two), but I give you so much credit! Do you think you’d ever do one again or was it totally just a one time thing? Are there people who run these frequently?
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..The Publican {Brunch}

103 Meghann May 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I think I would do it again, except I’m not sure I would be as nervous next time. :) And the girl who won the race has won 4 nude races in the past – there are a lot of repeats!

104 Angela May 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

You are so awesome Meghann! Congratulations for putting it all out there!

105 Lydia May 20, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I think I could totally do this – provided I had plenty of Body Glide! Great job on your finish!
Lydia recently posted..Race Report–ProActive 5K

106 Lisa @ I'm an Okie May 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm

You rock and I love that you did this. I have always joked that I belong on a nudist colony because clothes bug me to death. I am always tugging at them and am NEVER comfortable. However, being naked, feels great. I have no sense of modesty and my friends know it.

I’m proud of you for being ballsy and doing it. If this race doesn’t do something for your confidence and self-esteem, then I’m not sure what will.

Great job!
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..I’m pregnant, not fragile.

107 Brandy May 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

OMG, Meghann! Rock on! You are freaking fabulous!

If I was a runner, this would totally be on my bucket list. Maybe naked yoga one day instead? ha ha.

108 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Wow! When I saw your post on instagram and twitter this morning I thought it was a joke. That takes serious guts but I can see how it would be freeing. I don’t know if there are any nude races here in NH. I’d be more afraid of bug bites in horrible places than sunburn! :)

Congrats!!!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..10 Years!

109 kalli May 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

you are amazing! and you got big balls for sure! i am so proud of you and in awe. thanks meghan :)

110 Mary May 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Meghann, you totally rock! I love how you will try anything once. Next time remember the body glide for the thighs:).

111 Ike May 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Congratulations!
I could not get the wine, but maybe I got ahead of you. My time was 23:08.
See you in the next naked run!

112 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat May 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Wow I am majorly impressed! I don’t think my girls could handle a 5k walk without a bra!
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat recently posted..Smiley Cookie Winners!

113 Heather May 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

when I first started reading I totally thought you were joking. WOW you are so brave, go you! What an experience! Def remember the body glide next time!
Heather recently posted..Weekly Recap: May Week 3

114 Kristen May 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Wow, good for you. I don’t think I could do it, I’m just too self conscious! We are too critical of our bodies and I think it’s wonderful you did this. That took major courage. Sadly I am not even comfortable in my bikini at a pool party :(

115 Renee May 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Wow! I’m impressed by you…I’ve never even heard of a nude race, but I was a xc runner in college and my friends and I ran (streaked) 2 miles one night in just our running shoes :) However, “the girls” are a lot bigger now post babies so I’d have to go with a bra for sure, but my husband would never let me.
Renee recently posted..Running Party of 5 and a Mini Fam Vacay

116 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm

wow, serious kudos! That’s so awesome and it’s amazing that you’re that comfortable with your body. really empowering post!
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Northampton, Massachusetts: Smith Ivy Day and Day Drinking

117 maria @ mim May 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Personally, I think this is AWESOME! I live in Japan where people bathe at onsens (hot springs) nude all the time. The first time I went it was so weird, but now it’s just natural. It’s totally changed how I see my own body.
maria @ mim recently posted..There is no shortcut

118 Joe May 20, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hey enjoyed your review! My girlfriend and I streaked the cove today too! Our first time doing anything like that. I ran it in little black shorts and now regret it as once the race was over I peeled them off because I felt out of place with them on. I wish we didn’t have to take off so soon afterwards, we were enjoying hanging out by the pool as well. i think I am looking forward to the one at Caliente in September!

119 Teacher Girl May 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

You are BRAVE!!!
If I wasn’t so conservative, I would actually do this. I think it is great that so many people of all shapes and sizes could feel confident and strong and get out there and run in their bodies in their truest form.
You should be extremely proud of what you did today!
Teacher Girl recently posted..On Blogging Anonymously: A 4 Year Reflection

120 Laura May 20, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Probably not for me. Though my husband read this over my shoulder and said that he’d run a 5k with me if we did that. Still not going to do it though :)
Laura recently posted..My Week in Workouts – I’m a big fat liar

121 Elisabeth May 21, 2012 at 12:51 am

Way to go, Meghann! Major kudos to you for having the guts to do a race totally in the buff…I don’t think I would have that in me ;)

122 Bonnie May 21, 2012 at 12:53 am

I love this! Wow…what a crazy and neat experience. I think I’d like to do this – I could see my husband and I giving it a shot, actually! How fun (and nervous, don’t get me wrong – I’d have to seriously pump myself up to do that). ;) GREAT work in every respect!
Bonnie recently posted..W.E.D.N.E.S.D.A.Y.

123 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 21, 2012 at 4:18 am

You are SO brave! I don’t think I could run nude. I’d be too self-conscious and boggled by all the people running pass me.

Great and amazing! I loved hearing about this race :)
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Battling my Sweet Tooth

124 Debbie May 21, 2012 at 5:43 am

I won’t even run in just my sports bra. But you have me thinking that I need to be more confident and at least try it.

125 cindy May 21, 2012 at 7:29 am

One of my fav posts ever. Never crossed my mind to run a nude race until now. Such real feelings you were battling, and congrats for overcoming them! I live in Tampa too…so maybe next year!

126 Coco May 21, 2012 at 7:40 am

Certainly sounds liberating!!
Coco recently posted..Leaning on a classic

127 Sara @my less serious life May 21, 2012 at 7:55 am

omg girl you are one hard core and brave chick!

128 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 21, 2012 at 8:37 am

This is awesome. I love it! Not sure I could ever do it but sounds super fun!
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..A Dinner Favorite: Pizza On The Grill

129 Katy @ MonsterProof May 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

Wow! I don’t think I could do it! You SHOULD rock that t-shirt!
Katy @ MonsterProof recently posted..The Lion’s 1st Birthday Party

130 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

When I was at Burning Man a couple years ago, they had a lot of nude things to do on their schedule of events. One of them was a 30 min nude bike ride around the playa (a dried up lake). So, Fabian and I were biking (clothed) to get some ice and we got caught in the middle of the nude bike ride accidentally. And I will say, it has never felt so inappropriate to be clothed. Everyone was naked BUT us and we felt super out of place. So, we thought that was pretty funny how when you’re the odd man out no matter what, it’s weird. I’m sure that’s what it’s like for that 5k.
So with that said, I could probably muster up the courage to do one. With Body Glide.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Your Bad Hair (Part 2)

131 Kelly May 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

O!M!G! What a brave thing to do!! I just could never bring myself to it, but If I did I would probably PR because I would want to get to the finish line ASAP! Great post! Thanks for sharing!

132 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) May 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

Amazing… love this post! Thanks for sharing!
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..The time I made bagels from scratch

133 Brittany @ Eating Bird Food May 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

You rock Meghann!!!! I don’t know if I would be able to do it, but I think it’s awesome that you did. :)
Brittany @ Eating Bird Food recently posted..Color Me Rad 5K Comes to Richmond – Giveaway

134 Nikki @ NiftyEats May 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

Props to you for doing the race Meghann. I personally would not do that based on my own beliefs. Still it sounds like you had a liberating experience and it was fun. Congrats to that. Not too many people can say they’ve bared all and ran nude! Go Girl!—totally thought you were joking at first.
Nikki @ NiftyEats recently posted..Spring Into Fitness

135 Christina May 21, 2012 at 9:45 am

Wow! Doing this, I think, is an amazing personal triumph! and I love your message at the end… people are all shapes and sizes and that shouldn’t matter when cheering them on.

Love the shirt and shorts too!
Christina recently posted..No Pressure Book Club

136 Katie @ A Full Plate May 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

Wow! I’ve never even heard of a nude 5k race. What a great recap…it makes me want to do one! Good for you for doing it. It sounds very empowering!
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Slowed Down

137 Briana May 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

Ya girlfriend!!! I participated in my college’s naked bike ride every semester- except I always ran it instead of riding a bike and it was, as you said, liberating! I fully embrace the human body and love how people can (hopefully) see this as a non-sexual thing. Rock on!!

138 Cait's Plate May 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

Haha WHAT!! That’s crazy!!! Good for you for getting out there – I’ve never even heard of races like that!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Apple Crisp Parfait

139 Julie @ Wearing Mascara May 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

Major props to you! When I read this, I kept thinking, “What a funny April Fools joke!” Then I realized it was May 20. Haha.
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Wandom Wednesday

140 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

I have never done a nude race before but I think I would. Sounds like a blast, what an experience!
Meghan @ Run With Meg recently posted..The Art of Bootcamp

141 Caitlin May 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

THIS IS SO COOL. OK so I’d totally do it. I’d be scared to death but I’d do it, haha. Meghann, this is so awesome! And I love the wine souvenir.
Caitlin recently posted..A Day at Reebok World HQ!

142 carissa May 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

OhMGee!!!! you are amazing and so powerful! I loved reading this post! I still don’t think I could do it but I’m so inspired by.your courage!!!!!
carissa recently posted..Your Neighbors Might Think You’re Crazy

143 Carly Thurman May 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

You are very brave! I don’t think I could ever bring myself to do something like this. Congrats to you!
Carly Thurman recently posted..Should my child take swim lessons?

144 Grazia May 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Congrats! You are so brave! And I love your honesty when you write about all your fears before the race. It’s a great post!

145 Taylor May 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This was truly inspiring. :)

146 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style May 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm

OMG Meghann!!! You are my hero! Good for you that you went through with this race – you’re super brave. I love to run, but I would have been too afraid to go through with it.
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..Fresh Picks to Follow – Peter Pan Collar

147 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life May 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm

This was the best race recap I have ever read. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Congrats!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Coconut Water For The Win!

148 Pam May 21, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Congrats Meghann! This might be my favourite post ever – I love your honesty and overcoming your fears! You are awesome!! :)

149 kirsten May 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

that is awesome! way to go! :)

150 Diana@Veggienextdoor May 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

That is SO awesome! Congrats on your courage! I know I would never have the courage to do that (and no way I physically could do it without a sports bra) – but it sounds like a very unique & fun run for sure!

151 jamie May 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Wow!! Go girl!!! I am a faithful reader but rarely comment on any blogs. HAD TO here though! You are so inspiring. Way to go, and thank you for your honesty!

152 Jeff May 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I was there. The experience was awesome. It’s a lot more exciting than running down some boring city street.

153 Jessy May 22, 2012 at 9:09 am

I assume photographs weren’t allowed? How did they apply this rule, though, I imagine it must have been hard for them to examine everything.

154 Meghann May 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Photographs were not allowed and it was on the honor system. People were very respectful at the resort.

155 Lauren May 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

Nice recap! I think it would be fun to do once. My college has a naked bike ride (but most people just run) at the end of each semester, and there’s always hundreds of runners/bikers running naked or with body paint around campus. Even at the end of the first semester when it’s usually freezing and snowing.

156 Rachel Wilkerson May 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This was an awesome post! Congrats!!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{getting it} The Worst-Case Scenario Part II

157 Ike May 22, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Congratulations! I have just come over in March this year from Japan where naked races are not allowed. But I am already a repeater of such bare race. Feeling the natural wind with my body is excellent! Let’s spread the storm of naked racing!

158 Aurora May 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I just came across your blog via Miss Wearing Mascara and I have to say that You have Big Balls :) I am beyond impressed and jealous!!! Way to Go!!!

159 Kia May 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

It’s really awesome that you decided to this race. I am not sure I would be brave enough to a race naked, but then again who knows. Thanks for sharing your experience.

160 Kathy May 23, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I was one of the women in a sports bra at this race. Unlike most, I walked most of the race, had the same chaffing problems (unfortunately), and also had a blast! This is my second year doing this race and would like to congratulate you on overcoming your fears. Its a wonderful feeling to realize you’re naked and nobody cares! I truely hope more people will come out and streak the cove as a walker, after all, there are many walkers at regular 5k events, why not at the nude rac

161 Crissy May 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

You have me building confidence to run one as well.. but can’t seem to find any in New England. Do you know of any websites that might list all Naked races? Thanks!! Love this blog :)

162 Bryan Montgomery December 24, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’m having the same problem. The best I have found is nuderuns.com. Even they don’t post close to all of them. Seems the South has the bulk of them with Texas leading the pack. If we lived in Europe we’d have much more to chose from.

163 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty May 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This is hands down my favorite race recap ever. You are brave woman! I wish I had your cojones! :)
Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty recently posted..Meatless Tuesday Dinner?

164 Jina @ Behold the Turtle May 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Awesome. I loved reading this! The shirt is really cute!

165 Rick May 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I loved your account of this run! Its a lot like I imagine it would be. I heard about this run as someone had posted cards on cars at Four Green Fields’ Tuesday Run Club but I was not able to make it over. And that you ran a decent pace is impressive! A better race memento might have been some Body Glide rather then the wine….or in addition to the wine even better!

166 Bryan Montgomery December 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

They had a product similar to Body Glide in the race packet so she did get both. :)

167 Bill May 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Just read this blog after learning about it on the Cove Newsletter. We spend winters at the Cove. We were swimming today in VA; what a bummer wearing swimsuits as we prefer to swim, walk or run nekkid. Congratulations on coming to the “freedom” side. Be sure to come over again.

168 Annie@afterwork5k May 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Wow! Amazingly brave

169 Shannon May 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This is so fun! I think being naked is so liberating and this sounds like a blast and like something special–a moment we rarely get in our lives, being naked just as human all together without judgment!! :-) awesome!

170 Pam May 29, 2012 at 5:51 pm

You are soo awesome Meghann! you’re also my new “running idol!!” :)) CONGRATS!!!

171 Sheila May 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Congratulations!! Glad you enjoyed it

172 Robyn May 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm

This is CRAZY!!!! Good for you!!!

173 Lisa May 30, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Hello and Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
I also ran Streak the Cove that day!!!! It was so much fun, but I have to admit, I ran with clothes. It was my first race of that kind, and I was on vacation in Flordia, and figured, “I’m in”. Such an experience!!!!! When I arrived home to PA, some people first asked me if I participated or not. I simply smiled and responded, “I had a great time”. :)
Congrats!!!!!!!!!

174 Laura June 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I saw this post linked on Caitlin’s blog, but must have missed it originally on yours! I have to admit, I still had to double-check the date on it, to make sure it wasn’t April 1st! :D Major kudos on being brave enough. I get the horrors just thinking about it! You’re a pretty small woman, though, and in good shape – do you mind if I ask if there were all shapes and sizes there, or was everyone in pretty great shape with not much to be insecure about anyway?

175 Meghann June 5, 2012 at 11:26 am

Hi Laura! Yes, there were girls of all shapes and sizes! Small, big, petite, short – just as you would see in any other race setting :)

176 Charlie Galvin July 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Glad to see other people had fun at this race! The shirt for this race is hands down one of my favorites as well.

I was looking up the event website so I could share it with others and came across your blog. It was definitely an interesting run. I was thankful for the lady who had her hose handy and was spraying everyone down with a cool mist. From the male perspective there were some unique experiences to being free of clothing.

I was originally going to try to be a top 20 finisher, but that wasn’t the morning to try. Myself and a few friends organized another fun run, that happened to be the night before. We started a 10K bar crawl. It was 6 miles and 5 bars, with a beer at each bar. Both events made for a great weekend of running. We’ll be hosting another in September if you are interested in joining. Check out the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saturday-Night-Beer-Run/438891002790078
Charlie Galvin recently posted..My Worst Is Still My Best

177 suki August 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

so cool going back and reading about your race. :-) out here, some people have no qualms about running the streets of sf naked. but it’s not most people!
suki recently posted..Wine and Love #49

178 Cuatro August 15, 2012 at 1:43 am

Im a dude and no offense to you but i feel that guys would have a harder time especially since even though it is not intended sexual excitement occurs women merely get a tad wet downstairs with erect nipples guys have 6 inches of an extra limb stickin out on display for the world i honestly feel that guys would have a much harder time doing an event like this

179 Pete August 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Meghann — Thank you again for the terrific account of doing the Streak the Cove 5K. In addition to that race, I also produce the Caliente Bare Dare 5K, which is coming up on September 30 at 8:30 a.m. at the clothing-optional Caliente Resort in Land O’Lakes, just north of Tampa. See http://www.baredare5k.com for registration information or http://www.nuderaces.com for more info on our races.
Pete recently posted..Caliente Bare Dare 5K to Determine National Championship of Nude Running

180 Running Betty August 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I stick with my nude cami and nude sports bra under. I HAVE to wear a sports bra with my D cups. I’m proud of you for coloring outside the lines!
Running Betty recently posted..Introducing Team “Running in the Bluff”

181 Bryan Montgomery October 24, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m considering running this race in 2013. I’ve read that other people who have done this used something called Body Glide on their thighs to keep them from chaffing. I’ve also read that others just used solid deodorant to do the same thing. Did anyone give you any suggestions on what worked and what didn’t? A friend of mine got a tear in his shorts toward the end of a 5K and it chaffed him so bad he almost didn’t finish.

182 Charlie Galvin November 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Body Glide is amazing stuff!! If you have problems with chaffing it is well worth it. I think a stick is generally between $4-7. If you’re in Orlando, I know Track Shack carries it. Most running retailers and even some cycling shops usually carry it. There was a sample of a similar product in the swag bag from the race. Can’t guarantee there will be next year, but good to have just in case.
Charlie Galvin recently posted..My Worst Is Still My Best

183 Bryan Montgomery November 20, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea if I will have a problem with chafing or not. Since I don’t have anywhere to try to run naked I figured better safe than sorry. I’d hate to be just a mile into it and be miserable. Good luck on your training for the Boston Marathon. Love you’re attitude. My mantra is “I can’t” is a lie. The truth is “I can’t yet”.

184 Life's a Bowl November 20, 2012 at 5:21 am

Oh my gosh hehe I had to double check to make sure I did miss a punch line like this was a joke! It sounds like an awesome [and definitely memorable] experience :P Congrats on going through with it!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Marvelous In My Monday [MIMM] 11.19.12

185 Bob December 23, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I ran my first nude 5K this summer and respect the c0urage it took you to this. I found the first few moments naked disconcerting. It is hard to stand around total strangers and have absolutely no where to put your hands. But the feeling passed and it got easier to stand around, waiting for the race to start. What surprised me the most was how competitive the race was. People are pretty much the same, clothed or not. After the race was over, I stayed at the resort and met some of the regulars. By the end of the day, it felt pretty comfortable. I know I am hooked because I am going back to the next race with some friends, who will cheer me on while staying clothed.

186 Bryan Montgomery December 24, 2012 at 7:55 am

Are there clothes optional races that are timed? I like to know where I finished overall and in my age group. I’m always just racing myself to get faster than my last race but for some reason that is important to me. Also, I understand the no photos rule but are we allowed somewhere to let others take pictures for us? Perhaps with the bits that some find offensive blurred out. Noone will ever believe I ran one of these without pics to prove it. LOL.

187 Dory A. April 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hi there! What a great post.

I did a search on “naked 5K” and found you. We’ll be hosting one this year near Toronto – keep an eye on our website at http://www.ponderosaresort.ca for details!

We are also having a NUDE music festival (our second) featuring 7 local professional bands and our annual skinny dip. Details are at http://www.nudestocknorth.ca.

Come out and enjoy the NATURAL feeling you get being NUDE.

d.

188 Brandon November 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

HEy! So I came across this while looking up (discreetly…well, in a lame-o attempt) naked runs around the country. It perked my curiosity in spite of myself after reading the “bucket list” in a book I got a while back. “Long May You Run” suggested it, and though I dismissed it at first it did have me wondering.

It sounds pretty thrilling and I’m probably going to do my first one as well…ON MY OWN. It does sound less awkward. Nobody’s seen me in the buff except on accident, anyways.

189 robert January 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm

You almost have me convinced. Hereis my issue. To put it bluntly, I am a grower, not a shower. I am hesitant because I have this paranoia that I will be surrounded by guys who do not suffer from shrinkage. I don’t need a lot of detail but can you paint a picture of what you saw in that regard? Also, details about the overall fitness level of the participants and grooming would be good.

I understand that you were not there to judge these things but in the spirit of being brutally honest, I think others would be interested in knowing this information as well.