Run It Out

by Meghann on May 18, 2012

Mary was NOT messing around with her Jello Leg Workout. After completing her workout yesterday, my legs sure felt like jello this morning. I blame the lunges. Ouch. Lunges + 15 lb dumbbells = sore booty in the morning.

I could really feel it in the booty region when I took off for my 5 mile run this morning. It took a while for my legs to loosen up (I stopped to do a few kicks to stretch it out), but eventually my legs found their groove. You can really see the difference in my stats. My first mile was 10:00mins and my last was 8:45mins. Just goes to show you how much tired legs can slow you down, and why heavy legs workouts in the days leading up to a race would not be the best idea. If you do have a sore booty, it’s best to take it slow and treat it like a recovery run. :)

I came home and did a few yoga stretches to relax my legs before taking Maddie for a walk around the block.

Cereal was on the agenda for breakfast.

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Plain Chobani
  • walnuts
  • strawberries

I can’t believe it’s Friday already!

What are your plans for the weekend?!

I’m running a mystery 5k on Sunday…. any guesses what it might be? ;)

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m working all weekend so that I can fly back home to IL mid-week. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some time to do something fun and relax, instead of just work and laundry. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Bootcamp Week 1

2 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Haha, that is exactly what my legs felt like the day after that workout! My first mile was sooo pitiful!! A mystery 5k huh…??
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..My Chicago Marathon Training Plan

3 Megan @ Megorade May 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

I have also been following the TIU workouts but I have not been that impressed by them. Sometimes I find myself wanting more and incorporating other workout. Other people have had such wonderful success with them what have you taken from them?
Megan @ Megorade recently posted..WICKED AND DATE NIGHT

4 Meghann May 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

Yesterday’s workout wasn’t a TIU one. I haven’t found myself overly impressed with all of the TIU workouts either. Some are great, but some are only so-so. I think I just need to invest in some heavier weights and really dive into the workouts. That might be the secret.

5 Cait's Plate May 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

We had pretty much the same breakfast except your PB Cheerios and Quaker Oatmeal Square toppings beat my granola out! Looks delicious :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Senses

6 Annette @FitnessPerks May 18, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love lunges with dumbbells! You’re right–hellllooooo booty-liciousness :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Recent Quirks Discovered

7 Lindsey May 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

We have a date day planned for Saturday out of town, with a farmer’s market visit, pedicure appt’s (yes for the hubby too) and supper reservations. Sunday we are volunteering for the local marathon since I cannot run it this year :( And Monday will be chores day!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

8 Meghann May 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

That sounds like a fun weekend! Have you volunteered for the marathon before? It really is great way to be involved with the race if you’re not running – and so inspiring! I love volunteering :)

9 Lindsey May 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I have not! I’ve done lots of volunteering but never for a race, I am pretty excited. Even planning on bringing some goodies for runners if they need them. haha
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

10 Meghann May 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm

May I recommend gummy worms? Someone was handing out twizzlers at my last race and I about kissed him when I passed him. :) Have fun! – I hope you write about your experience so I can read all about it on Monday :)

11 Lindsey May 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Great ideas! Going shopping tonight, I have Sharkies Energy chews too :) And I will!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

12 Beki @ MissWheezy May 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

Loving the blog! Random question I know but just wondering how long you usually warm up for before you start running or what you do to warm up? I’m a newbie runner and usually walk for a few minutes or take it easier to start with but I’m wondering if I need to be more warmed up before I actually start running? Thanks :)
Beki @ MissWheezy recently posted..My New Camera!

13 Meghann May 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I usually just jump around in place to warm up, or treat my first mile a little slower than the rest until my legs start to feel good.

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

aahhhh I hate running when my butt is sore! Each step is so much harder!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Drag Queens, Veggies, and Patios!

15 Laura is Undeterrable May 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Tomorrow morning I’m headed to CrossFit and then a bike ride. I SHOULD clean the house, but we’ll see how that goes ;) but then I’m going to see Avengers (again) with my parents. Sunday I’m DNSing RNR Portland (Booooooo injuries) but then I’m meeting up with some fabulous bloggers!
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Friday Five

16 Stephanie @My Freckled Life May 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Peanut Butter Cheerios are the best!
Stephanie @My Freckled Life recently posted..Luck of the Irish