Eggplant and Zucchini Parmesan Casserole

by Meghann on May 14, 2012

I’m quickly discovering that Monday and Wednesday nights are going to be tricky in the dinner department. Those are my swim nights (AWESOME session tonight, by the way) and, since the pool is about 30 minutes from my house, I usually don’t get home until after 7:30. By then I’m exhausted and starving. Dinner has to be quick, easy, and go directly in my tummy.

I actually started planning tonight’s meal while doing laps (what? gotta occupy my mind somehow ;) ). I had an eggplant in the fridge that i was planning to made eggplant parmesan with, but that sounded a little boring. What if I chopped the eggplant up with some of the zucchini I bought and make a eggplant/zucchini parmesan casserole? Yes, that could work.

Derek helped me start the meal as soon as I walked in the door, then I took a shower as it baked. It may have taken a little longer than I was hoping it would take, but the results were worth it. ;)

Eggplant and Zucchini Parmesan Casserole

• pepper
  • 1 can drained garbanzo beans
  • 1 cup mozzarella (I used mini mozz balls, but shredded works too) + 1/4 cup
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
  • 1.5 cups marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 375.

Start by cubing the eggplant and zucchini into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

In one medium bowl, whisk the two eggs together with the milk. In another, combine the flour, 1 cup bread crumbs, and seasonings. Dip the eggplant/zucchini in the egg, then coat with the flour mix and place in a greased casserole dish. Once the dish is full, bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Remove the veggies from the oven and add the can of garbanzo beans, 1 cup mozzarella, and parmesan to the dish. Cover it all with the marinara sauce and give it a good mix to make sure everything is evenly coated with mariana.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5.

Confession: I was too impatient/hungry to let it bake the entire 20 minutes. I pulled it out after 15 and served my plate before putting it back in for Derek’s. The eggplant and zucchini were just a tad undercooked at that point, but not bad at all. The great flavors more than made up for it. :)

I also had a 1/4 of a cheese bagel to slop up the good stuff. ;)

Next time I’ll just have to make the meal when I’m not as impatient to serve my meal. Derek said his plate was great. :)

Before swimming I had a Kashi granola bar.

And, for dessert, a piece of my sister’s birthday cookie cake that she was kind enough to share with me this weekend. (My mom made her the cookie cake on Friday night and she brought a ziploc baggie of cake to Sunday brunch :) )

I <3 cookie cake!

The Make It Or Break It SERIES FINALE is tonight?!? I can’t believe the show is already coming to an end. *sniff *sniff It’s a great show – I’m going to miss it.

Good Night!

1 Sana May 14, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Lol I hate eating under cooked veggies, But I hate waiting forever for them to cook!

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Zucchini, eggplant, and cheese are some of my favorite things in the world. I know what I’m making this weekend…

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I had a similar dish for my dinner! Although mine was microwaved since it was just for me!

4 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. May 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I hate that they ended MIOBI before the Olympics – I wanted to see the girls go to London!!

5 Army Amy* May 14, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I just fell in love with Make It or Break It last season. I’m bummed that it is no more.*

6 Kat @ Balance & Spice May 15, 2012 at 4:24 am

I make big batches of meals and freeze them on Sunday just for nights like that. It makes it so much easier to just pull out, microwave, and eat!

7 Marysol May 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

I know i’m so sad to see MIOBI end! I felt like it was getting better, Emily was an extreme disappointment and I thought Payson, Kaylie and Lauren did just fine on their own! This IMHO was probably the strongest season of the show, but the ratings just weren’t there.

8 Angela May 15, 2012 at 6:32 am

Do you have a crock pot? I always make crock pot meals on days I am going to get home late so I can eat right when I walk in the door!

9 Liz May 15, 2012 at 6:46 am

If that’s a quarter of a bagel… how big is your dinner plate? I feel like you’ve said before that you’re going to try and put the size of your food plates in perspective since other people emulate your eating habits, but you never do. From here, it looks like a quarter of a bagel, and about 15 chunks of cut up zucchini and eggplant.

10 julie May 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

her plates are salad plates, aka tiny.

why didn’t derek cook something for the both of you??

11 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Derek didn’t cook because he doesn’t know how ( well, he knows how to make black beans and rice and pasta with jarred sauce, but that’s really it). Plus Monday night was a one-off where we both arrived home around the same time.

12 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Expect a post on plate size by next week. I just need to have a little photo shoot with the contents of my cabinet.

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 15, 2012 at 7:10 am

That casserole sounds delicious! I will definitely have to try it at some point. :)

14 Kathy May 15, 2012 at 8:53 am

Question for you that has nothing to do with this post……ha!

My 12 yr. old seems to have a gift for running. She HATES IT THOUGH. She will NOT run unless we MAKE her however, when she is signed up for CC or track she does very well….but, the ANXIETY she builds the night before a meet is KILLER!

6th grade and she begs us to let her quit…we don’t want her to b/c this is the one thing she has success at however, the mental anxiety is draining on HER and us.
;-)

Any suggestions? Know of any one like this? Thanks!

15 Faith @ For the Health of It May 15, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I don’t have kids, so I don’t really know the situation of having the responsibility of shaping a life. I can only imagine that you want the best for her and sometimes that requires making her do something that she doesn’t exactly understand why.

That said, if something is creating that much stress and anxiety, I can’t see it being beneficial to a developing kid. Running can be torturous, both mentally and physically, even to those of us who love it. Without the passion there, it’s going to be even tougher for her to reap any benefits from it. If it causes her that much anxiety and stress, to the point where it’s draining to all involved, why force it?

16 Beth @ DiningAndDishing May 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

I just love cookie cake! I miss The Original Cookie Company that used to be at the mall. I’ve never tried baking one myself since they closed down!

17 Erica May 15, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I like eggplant, but my FIL is obsessed! I’m sending this to him!

18 Rachel Wilkerson May 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm

You should totally have Derek make dinner on Monday and Wednesday nights! Trading dinner responsibility nights has allowed each of us to work out and not worry about cooking when we come home HANGRY. When we make our grocery list, he chooses the two meals he’ll cook and I choose my two… it’s been working REALLY well for our workouts and sanity!

19 Rachel Wilkerson May 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm

*Sorry, I meant to say that that’s what Eric and I have been doing for the past few months…THEN all the stuff about how it’s been working out for us.

20 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm

My initial gut reaction to this comment was “Derek can’t cook” I’m seriously jealous of couples where both partners enjoy cooking (or even know how to do it). In the past, I’ve tried calling Derek on my home to have him start dinner by “chopping an onion” only to have him ask me a million questions on what I meant by “chopping an onion.” Usually it gets to the point where I’m so annoyed by the questions, that I say never mind and do it myself when I get home. I’m not sure if this is his tactic of getting out of the task at hand or not, but I’ve stopped even trying.

However, this comment resonated with me. Last night I started a conversation with Derek about the possibility of sharing cooking responsibilities on nights when he’s home before I am. He told me he just doesn’t understand cooking because he doesn’t like to do it and doesn’t have the passion for it that I do. I told him TONS of people don’t like to cook, that doesn’t mean they don’t do it so they can eat. In the end we came to the compromise that we might take a couple of cooking classes together in the future so he can at least learn the basic, such as chopping an onion, steaming/boiling vegetables, and cooking chicken. At least it’s a start. :)

21 Rachel Wilkerson May 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Oh, I’m so happy that my comment led to that kind of a conversation! I have SO much more to say on this topic but I don’t to take over your comments (because it was one of the biggest living in sin adjustments for me)…I’ll e-mail you!!

But YAY! I hope you’ll blog about how this goes for you guys!!

22 Melissa May 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm

That casserole looks AMAZING!!

23 Gina September 8, 2012 at 2:44 am

The Eggplant and Zucchini Parmesan Casserole turned out excellently! What a tasty blend of the vegetables, the Garbanzo beans, and the cheese! Both thumbs up!