Mother’s Day Part Deux

by Meghann on May 13, 2012

Smile, Maggie!

Why does Maggie never want to look directly at the camera? She’ll look right at me, I’ll pull the camera out and – BAM! -  she immediately looks the other direction.

IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3533.JPG

Such a diva! I’ll get her smiling face… one day.

Both Maggie and Derek were very excited to wish their mom a very Happy Mother’s Day today.

They both went in on the card, but I think Derek is still waiting on Maggie’s half. Man, that dog is cheap. Kidding! :)

Derek and I spent the afternoon/evening celebrating Mother’s Day with his parents and grandparents back on the west coast. It’s actually really nice having our parents semi-near each other (approximately 2 hours apart), so we can see both families on any given holiday. We did the same morning-with-my-parents and afternoon-with-his-parents equation over Christmas and it worked out great. As long as we don’t move out of state – we’re golden. ;)

Derek’s mom had purchased a Groupon deal for a local BBQ places ages ago and had been waiting for a crowd of people to feed it with. The deal was for a bbq FEAST that included enough meat, sides, and veggies to feed a family of 8 easily. I can see why she was waiting!

Everything looked and smelled amazing. I don’t eat genuine BBQ food often, but when I do, I enjoy it.

(anyone else prefer their corn not on the cob?!)

I also had a rib, some coleslaw, and extra fruit salad that missed the camera. Everything was delicious. :)

For dessert, Derek’s Dad made homemade angel cake (and, by homemade, I mean he said his secret ingredient was “just adding water to the mix” <- he’s a funny one!) with fresh strawberries and cool whip.

Strawberry shortcake for the win!

We stayed late at his parents’ place discussing cellphones and data plans. I think we’re *this close* to convincing them to go the smartphone route. I’m trying to win them over on features such as photo messaging, GPS (<-big want for them!), and games (also, very important). They both have very basic phones right now and are in the market for something new. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

On another completely unrelated note…. I’ve gotten a little deeper into 50 Shades of Grey. Oh me. Oh my. I’m not saying it’s the best book ever, but I’m starting to see what all the fuss is about – all of a sudden I’m finding it hard to put down.

And, with that, I’m off to read.

Good Night!

1 Kelly May 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

My dog sense a camera is nearby, and hams it up. He started posing and we call him Mr. Magnum, as in the look from Zoolander.

2 Cait's Plate May 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Oooh I’ve never actually heard of that book but I’m already excited to read it!

3 Sana May 14, 2012 at 12:19 am

I can’t let myself buy the book until finals are over!!!

4 Betsy May 14, 2012 at 12:20 am

Okay… If you say so. I’m not too far into Shades of Grey. She just woke up in his hotel room. Does it get a lot better, seriously? Or is it still just so-so?

5 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

Honestly, I wasn’t interested at all at first, but right after she wake up in the hotel, it starts to get interesting.

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 14, 2012 at 12:40 am

What’s with all the strawberry shortcake today? it’s like everyone got some except me? ;)

Looks like a great mother’s day. :)

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 14, 2012 at 3:08 am

Maybe Maggie believes the camera will steal her soul? Haha

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 14, 2012 at 6:10 am

I always cut my corn off the cob, too … it’s just so much easier to eat! ;)

I’m one of the few 20-somethings who still has an old school phone without internet. I want a smartphone, but I don’t want to pay the monthly internet fee!

9 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 14, 2012 at 6:58 am

Im about 300 pages into that book and I cannot decide if the story is good or not. I mean its scandalous in spots to say the least but I dont know if there is enough of a story there to keep me hooked. Ill prob finish it but I dont know if Ill read the sequels. :)

10 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’ve heard the storyline picks up in the sequels. The first one reels you in with the scandalous moments and the next two actually have a decent plot.

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 14, 2012 at 7:27 am

Aw! Maggie is so cute! :) I always cut the corn off the cob. It’s so much easier to eat that way.

12 Emily N May 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

Mmmm… angel food cake. That is definitely one of my faves. I do the strawberries and cool whip sometimes, but I also like to make some confectioners icing and have a colored drizzle on top sometimes too!

Maggie kind of looks like my pup, Zeus (except a girl, obviously.) but a little better groomed. What breed is she?

13 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

She’s a maltese/poodle mix. At least that’s what we’ve been told – she was a rescue pup.

14 Emily N May 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

That explains it! That is what Zeus is too! :-)

15 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ha! Well there you go :)

16 Pete Nott May 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love Angel food cake but there doesn’t seem to be a box recipe for those here in the UK.
We have Angel layer cake which is just as soft with cream in the middle that you can buy but would love to make my own, even if it is just a “add some water” mix. ;)

17 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

Aw, how cute is Maggie!? a Maltese, I’m guessing? She’s adorable! and my parents’ shih tzu is the same exact way with photos :) she’ll stare right at you until you whip out the camera! another dog quirk of many I guess

I’ve been thinking about reading 50 Shades of Grey but not sure if I’d be into it.. maybe I’ll give it a try though.

18 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

She’s a Maltese/ Poodle mix (Malty-Poo?)

19 Lisa May 14, 2012 at 9:26 am

Yeah….let’s just say I didn’t blow through 50 Shades of Grey because of the stellar writing…

20 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 9:34 am

haha – my thoughts exactly.

21 amyt May 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I’m on the 2nd book 50 shades darker – I was told this one gets really good, and it has been – I thought the first one was good, steamy….the 2nd goes into more detail about him – I have a friend ahead of me in the 2nd one – she says it’s good – has a tear jerker part. I know I’ll read them all, because I’m that nerdy girl that just has to no matter what. I think they are worth it.