Just Call Me Flipper

by Meghann on May 12, 2012

A couple of weeks ago my new swim coach caught onto something I’ve been trying to downplay for years now… I have no idea how to flip turn. Despite the many hours I’ve spent in the pool training for triathlons, I just never learned how. I like to think it’s a simple mix of just never being taught, never swimming competitively, and natural fear of banging my head in the wall in the process. Ouch – that could hurt!

To ease my fear of the flip turn, my friend Courtney thought it would be beneficial to put together a flip turn clinic so the whole team could work on improving their flip turns (or learning it for the first time!). She picked a free Saturday and scheduled an hour that would be 100% dedicated to flip turns.

This morning we had 7 team members ready to conquer flip turns. Not bad for 10am on a Saturday – have I mentioned how dedicated and awesome these people are yet?!

Courtney and Felipe lead the flip turn clinic. They started us out with basic drills (perfecting our streamlines, pushing off the wall, corkscrewing, dolphin kicks, etc) and eventually eased us into doing the actual flip turns. The coaches were great and took the time to work with us one-on-one, watching our turns and giving us little tips and tricks along the way.

It took a while to get over the fear of running into the wall (I had to do more than a few flip turns away from the wall before I was brave enough to flip into the wall), but I’m getting there! Practice makes perfect and I intend to practice the hell out of these.

IMG_3413.jpg IMG_3415.jpg

I wasn’t the only flip turn newbie! Mary started from scratch this morning and was killing it by the end. Go Mary!

IMG_3412.jpg IMG_3416.JPG

Marcus wanted to make sure I documented how hard he was working… on his sun tan.

He may have bailed on learning to flip turns (you get water up your nose one time…), but he did get some awesome photos of our flip turn session. Thank you, Marcus!

After mastering the flip turn (HA!) I had to rush home to shower and change before Derek and I took off to Titusville for the rest of the weekend. I made a quick lunch of leftovers before we hit the road.

From one pool… to another.

I don’t know about you, but I think my parents’ pool is just a bit more serene than the rec center’s pool ;)

Publix recently started selling yogurt parfaits in their deli section. They’re something I’d been meaning to try, so I purchased a berry one to eat by the pool as a mid-afternoon snack.

IMG_3433.jpg

The parfait was good. Just the right mix of vanilla yogurt, fresh berries, and granola. I’d buy it again. :)

My parents planted a garden this spring that is currently bursting with fresh veggies.

We picked fresh green beans for dinner.

The green beans were the perfect addition to the pot roast and potatoes my dad made for dinner.

Yep. Perfection. ;)

My sister-in-law had big plans for dessert. ;)

Inspired by Pinterest, of course. ;)

First up, a layer of cookie dough on the bottom of a muffin pan.

Followed by a layer of Reeses.

And finished with a layer of brownie mix.

Baked at 350 for 20 minutes.

Hell. Yeah.

It was almost painful waiting for these baby to cool to try one.

Oh, yes, as a matter of fact this baby was just as tasty as you would imagine. Rich, decadent, and sinful – how could it not be amazing?

And now I’m in a sugar coma.

The perfect time to call it a night.

Good Night!

1 Sana May 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

OMG dessert looks amazing :)

2 wymberley May 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm

You outdid yourself on this post Meg. Your parents pool is amazing and those cookies are OUT OF CONTROL!
wymberley recently posted..Not Another Crossfit Post…

3 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing May 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Your parents pool is AWESOME..and now I’m gonna go dream about that ridiculous dessert. :)
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Please excuse my excuses

4 Emily May 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I just started swimming for the first time since I was on the neighborhood swim team as an 8 year old. Today, during my second time in the pool, I realized I was scared to do the flip turn. At the end of my workout I tried a few dozen times or so to get comfortable with it. Definitely something I’m working on!
Emily recently posted..First swim – Triathlon Training

5 Chuck May 13, 2012 at 1:06 am

Awesome clinic this morning! Although, I know I’m not going to be satisfied tillmi get it perfect! Grrr…

And those brownie cookie peanut butter cup things? Um. Wow. Bring. Some. On Monday! Period.

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 13, 2012 at 1:34 am

Those things look dangerous! I love it. Know what I love more? Your parents’ garden! There’s nothing more satisfying or delicious than picking fresh veggies from a home garden.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Better Safe Than Sorry

7 Emily May 13, 2012 at 1:38 am

Pinterest desserts are evil. EVIL. And yet so delicious.

Flip turns always intimidate me. I just gotta start doing them, then I’m okay for the rest of practice.
Emily recently posted..Fried Frosted Nuggets of Purple Glory

8 Chuck May 13, 2012 at 1:49 am

“I’m the boss on this boat, you can call me skipper…”

9 Kristen May 13, 2012 at 3:01 am

My friend made almost the same cookie/brownies tonight except she did cookie layer, oreo and brownie on top…uh yea delish!

Ps. way to tackle those flip turns…I’ve never tried but does NOT look easy
Kristen recently posted..Stagecoach Wardrobe

10 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 13, 2012 at 5:38 am

Pinterest definitely has its share of devilish desserts. This one looks particularly alluring! So jealous of your double-pool day.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Saturday Splendor

11 Sneakers2sandals May 13, 2012 at 7:22 am

Awesome job! And Court’s back muscles are amazing! I can see them in that pic of her sitting off the side of the pool :)
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Family Fun and More Sewing

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 13, 2012 at 7:29 am

Oh wow I want to try those!! Thank you, Pinterest, for making us all gain 5 lbs! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Flat Stanley Project

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

Congrats on the flip turns! Just keep practicing and you’ll be an old pro!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Pinterest Party!

14 Kelly May 13, 2012 at 8:27 am

I’ll trade you cookie cake for one of those bad boys. ;)

15 Erin@Everyday Eating May 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Pinterest is the death of me!!!
Erin@Everyday Eating recently posted..Panera Salad and Baseball

16 Ash May 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

I’ve been trying to learn to flip, but I can’t do it without getting water up my nose. It’s nice to push off the wall every turn, but I’d like to improve my swim work out. Any suggestions?

17 Cait's Plate May 13, 2012 at 11:02 am

I saw those on Pinterest and I’ve been DYING to make them!! You definitely convinced me :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Fun, Sun and Moms

18 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’m so making those cookie-brownies for my co-workers this week!! And saving some extras for me too :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day!

19 emily May 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Omg, those muffin/cupcake/brownies look amazing!
emily recently posted..Day of Strength

20 Courtney May 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Great job yesterday morning! There was some definite improvement and I look forward to seeing how far you come in swimming this year by training with us :) see you tomorrow!

21 Amanda May 14, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hey, where can we find the recipe for that dessert your sister in law made? It looks amazing! :)

Thanks!

Amanda

22 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It’s really simple – just cookie dough, Reeses Cup, and brownie mix. layer them on top of each other and bake for 20 minutes at 350. :)

23 Laura is Undeterrable May 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I need to learn flip turns… I’m scared though :) I also need to be able to swim over 25 yards without resting, but whatevs…
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

24 Liz May 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Helloooooo perfect dessert! Saw your link on Twitter, haha.

25 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

A+ to you for learning how to flip turn! I got more into swimming late last year and kind of kept it up after I started training in February for my 10K, and my inability to flip turn always made me feel a bit incompetent. That, and my insistence upon keeping my head above water, and the fact that my “swimming” was more like awkward flopping…but you know. Haha.