The Avengers

by Meghann on May 11, 2012

Nerd alert!

220px-TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg

Derek and I made a promise to each other not to see The Avengers until we were together (it was released while I was out of town last weekend). We almost made a mid-week trip to the theater, but managed to hold off to make it a Friday night date night.

The verdict? Our opinions were mixed. The plot line and script could have used some work, but the special effects were amazing and the cast did the best they could with some of the cheesy lines that were thrown their way. I was a little nervous when the beginning failed to pull me in, but by the end I had the goofiest smile on my face as I cheered the Avengers on to victory. :)

The eye candy didn’t hurt either. ;)

HawkeyeHottie.jpg

Hellllooooo, Hawkeye! Wow. Who knew Jeremy Renner was so sexy?! Mama likes. ;)

A familiar face popped up in the beginning of the film that had me pulling my hair out for the duration of the movie trying to figure out who she was. I even pulled my phone out in an attempt to check IMDB (I know, I got desperate) before Derek brought me back to my senses and told me to put the phone away before I even had a chance to look.

Screen shot 2012-05-11 at 11.09.40 PM.png

Recognize her?

As soon as the credits started rolling, I pulled my phone out again and checked. It was Robin! (from How I Met Your Mother!). It felt like this huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Man, it felt good to have that mystery solved! :)

Before the movie, Derek and I made quick dinner at home.

Boiled yucca covered with a black bean/ carrot/ pepper/ onion mix and topped with baked plantains, fresh avocado, and feta cheese.

Dessert as a chocolate VitaTop muffin with peanut butter cup ice cream.

Have you ever had a I’m-going-to-pull-my-hair-out-unless-I-figure-out-who-this-is moment? That feeling drives me crazy! Which is exactly why I have the IMDB app downloaded on my phone. :)

1 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 12, 2012 at 12:06 am

I loved the movie! I thought the cast was great and yeah, the eye candy didn’t hurt one bit. ;)

and yes, I get that feeling all the time where I’m like, “i recognize this person from SOMETHING and i need to know what that something is!”
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Pink Slime Bribery

2 Ashley Reed May 12, 2012 at 12:13 am

Yes but my boyfriend is my own personal imdb. He said who she was before I even had a minute to adjust my 3D glasses. I feel the same way, left with a smile but took me awhile to get into it.
Ashley Reed recently posted..You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr. Seuss~

3 maria @ mim May 12, 2012 at 12:58 am

I hate when I can’t place an actor/actress. It’s so annoying because I KNOW I know them! :)
maria @ mim recently posted..Selling myself short by long distance running?

4 Emily May 12, 2012 at 1:02 am

Oh man, I go mental when I can’t remember where someone’s shown up before! IMDb did win me an argument once when she swore the actress from the Swedish “Girl with a Dragon Tattoo” and the Hollywood version were the same actress. They’re not, but they kinda look alike. Thank you, IMDb!
Emily recently posted..Fried Frosted Nuggets of Purple Glory

5 Katie @ Creature of Habit May 12, 2012 at 1:16 am

I feel like I have those moments all the time and I start to worry myself because I think I’m loosing my mind and I’m definitely too young for that lol.
Katie @ Creature of Habit recently posted..Checking In, Catching Up

6 Elisabeth May 12, 2012 at 2:23 am

I saw the movie yesterday – loved it! (And I’m psyched they set you up fir the next movie at the end, during the credits ;) ). I noticed it was Robin right away, but I always remembe like every little character from a movie or show – my friends/family always laugh about it :)

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 12, 2012 at 6:03 am

I’m pretty good recognizing faces, so I’m usually the one who can figure out where I recognize the person from. But if I can’t figure it out, I immediately have to jump on my computer to get the answer!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Flat Stanley Project

8 Lauren May 12, 2012 at 6:12 am

Is that the new Robin or the old one? :)
Lauren recently posted..Haters Gonna Hate

9 Shana May 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

I went through this one time a couple years ago when I was waiting tables in Miami. There was this woman sitting at the bar and I knew I knew her. I spent an hour polling all my friends at work, thinking maybe I had worked with her at one point, maybe she was on a news show. I was too unsure to go up and ask her if she knew me. Driving me absolutely insane. When she got up to leave I had a lightbulb moment. It was the makeup artist Carmindy from the show “What Not to Wear.” My old roommate and I had watched marathons of that show a few years prior!

10 Shana May 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 12, 2012 at 8:38 am

Haha I don’t think I’ve ever had quite that type of moment in a movie theater, but definitely in person! I’ve often had people come up and say hi and talk to me and I KNOW I should know them and I just can’t place them! So awkward!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Pinterest Party!

12 Irina @ Chocolatea Time May 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Yess I HATE when I feel like that! It always happens to me and it’s especially distracting during a movie when I end up ravaging my memory instead of paying attention. My most recent moment was when I watched 21 Jump Street and couldn’t quite place one of the actors (it ended up being James Franco’s little brother).
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..FREEdom

13 Christine @ BookishlyB May 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I think the dialogue was supposed to be a little cheesy- it added a touch of satire and camp to let the audience know they weren’t taking themselves (as a film) too seriously.

14 Marysol May 13, 2012 at 4:17 am

Thor is my favorite! I went to the Avengers Ultimate marathon and I got to see all six movies in one day! “I’m-going-to-pull-my-hair-out-unless-I-figure-out-who-this-is moment’s” happen to me all the time! I’m really bad with faces but great at remembering names, luckily for me my sister is just the opposite. So whenever I cannot remember who someone is she will say “oh they were in __fill in the blank___ movie” and I’ll respond with “Oh! It’s __fill in persons name/or character___”

15 Stephanie May 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

Mmm, Renner. Right-click, save! =) He’s my favorite actor ever.

16 Laura is Undeterrable May 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I loved this movie! I’m right there with you on Jeremy Renner. I liked him in Mission Impossible and I reallly liked him in Avengers. As the husband and I were leaving the theatre I asked if it was ok if I had inappropriate feelings for Mr. Renner and he said to go ahead because he already had them about Scar-Jo.
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

17 Laura is Undeterrable May 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm

And Chris Hemsworth.

And Chris Evans.

And Robert Downey Jr.

Sorry Mark Ruffalo and Samuel L. Lets just be friends, k?
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

18 Meghann May 14, 2012 at 2:51 pm

aww… I like Mark! He’s getting a little older, but still has that cute-and-nerdy vibe going for him

19 Laura is Undeterrable May 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oh, I agree with you. I still like him. I loved him as the Hulk.
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation