Tampa Bay Bagel Co.

by Meghann on May 11, 2012

Derek LOVES bagels. He’s one of those “I’ll take a bagel over a donut” kinda guys and when it’s his turn to bring breakfast to the office, bagels are always his first choice. So when I saw a recent CrowdSavings.com deal for a new bagel shop (Tampa Bay Bagel Co.) pop up a couple of months ago, I bought it figuring I could treat him to lunch out one day.

Tampa Bay Bagel Company has had a location in South Tampa for years, and was actually one of the highly recommended places folks told me to check out when I first moved here. Unfortunately I never made it to that end of town for bagels, but fortunately for me, they opened another location closer to my neck of the woods.

The bagel joint was small and surprisingly empty for noon on a Friday. The bagels were slim pickin’s so my guess is they get most of their mad rush for the breakfast hour, rather than lunch hour. It really didn’t bother us, we had zero wait and two employees that were happy to help us make our decision.

Derek and I both ordered the “lunch special” which came with a bagel sandwich (with choice of deli meat), a side salad, pickle, and a drink.

I got the everything egg bagel with turkey, onion, tomato, and spicy mustard. (they were out of lettuce :(). The bagel was toasted, yet still had a nice soft chew in the middle. I’d never had an everything egg bagel before (one of the reasons I ordered it) and enjoyed the extra chew and richness the egg bagel offered. The bagel + meat was extra filling, so I only managed to eat half at lunch. I saved the other half for later and plan to eat it as my afternoon snack. Derek finish his whole sandwich, then complained how uncomfortably stuffed he was in the car on the way home (which made me glad I only ate half).

The deli case was full of great, fresh options for the side salad. I went with the cucumber salad and loved it. It had fresh cilantro which really gave the cucumber a fresh taste.

Derek ordered the potato salad, which I’ll admit tasted way better than my cucumbers. It was the dill – the fresh dill was AWESOME and really worked well with the potatoes. Next time I’d order the potato salad.

I’m not sure Derek and I have ever gone out for lunch on a weekday together. (He works from home Thursdays and Fridays). It was a nice little getaway to escape from the day and just hang out without a computer between us (how we usually eat lunch together during the week). :)

Do you ever meet up with your significant other for lunch during the work week?

Psstt…. I updated the Wedding Page! Come take a tour of our Wedding Website! :)

1 Lindsey May 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

We work next door to eat together for lunch. We probably go out for lunch a few times a year together, and my husband might come home a few times a year with me. I like to go home for lunch and he likes to stay at work.

2 Cait's Plate May 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Ha – that’s so funny. My whole lunch post is about meeting up with my boyfriend for lunch! :) We get to do it a lot because he’s only 10 minutes from home but we don’t always go out so doing so makes it feel really special.

Glad you guys enjoyed!

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That bagel sandwich looks delicious! :) I wish my fiance and I could meet up for lunch. Unfortunately we both work too far from each other and I don’t really take a lunch break. It’s more me sitting at my desk doing work while eating kind of thing.

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hubs and I carpool to work (we both work in a Research Park, one building away from each other) so 4/5 times a week we eat together – usually just the lunch I packed at home, but if it’s nice out we eat outdoors, or if we need a change we drive to Starbucks for Iced Coffee or Iced Tea :)

Next week though, he’ll be starting a new job…so no more lunch dates :( Maybe I’ll start bringing stuff to run during my lunch break…

5 Brie May 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

We actually had a lunch date today! We work right around the corner from each other.

6 Megan @ The I Do Diaries May 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’d be all over that dill potato salad…looks delish! Unfortunately the only time I’ve ever been able to meet my husband for a workweek lunch was months ago right after we got married and I moved to Atlanta with him, before I started at my current job. We’d meet at the food truck park for lunch every Thursday. I miss it!

7 Annette @FitnessPerks May 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

We work near each other, so yes, sometimes we do meet up for lunch or for quick walks. SO nice.

I love bagels too-so delicious!

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I love bagels!! I actually haven’t had one in forever, especially now that I can’t eat gluten. I’ve thought about buying gluten free ones, but it’s just not the same as a freshly made one!

9 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Bagel and cream cheese was my go-to breakfast all throughout college. I haven’t had a bagel in a long time though. I’ve read rave reviews about this restaurant and can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the pix!

Have a lovely weekend!

10 Army Amy* May 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Last year my husband would visit me for lunch once a month or so. My lunch break is super short so it always meant a lot to me that he’d go to all the trouble.*

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

What a nice lunch date! I rarely get to see my husband for lunch! :)

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Now that I work part time and am home with the kids 2x/week, we’ll sometimes pop into daddy’s work for a little surprise lunch date. It’s fun for him to show the kids off to his co-workers and we are happy to see him!

13 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 11, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love bagels! Would love to try one of the everything egg ones, sounds interesting :)

14 Stephanie May 13, 2012 at 7:06 am