more ยป" />

Wedding: Our Photographer

by Meghann on May 10, 2012

I can’t believe I haven’t shared this yet! Derek and I have a photographer!

My cousin Andrea (Andrea Hubbell Photography) is an AMAZING photographer. I’ve been drooling over her work for years now and had been secretly planning on asking her to take our wedding photos even before we got engaged.

Andrea is based in Charlottesville (which is why I asked a local photographer take our engagement photos) and was kind enough to pass along a slight “family discount.” <– major score for the budget department!

However, I promise the discount was not the only reason we went with her. Derek and I had already agreed from the get-go that we were willing to invest a little extra money in photography since it’s something that’s so important to us. We’ve seen too many friends cut corners with wedding photography and ended up with less than stellar results. We wanted photos that would be timeless, beautiful, and not crazy photo-shopped, which we believe Andrea can deliver. It just lucked out that our top choice, was also also a member of the family. (and even with the discount, it’s still a good chunk of change)

I spoke with Andrea before officially booking her and discussed a little bit of the day-of timeline (very vague numbers since nothing is even close to being set in stone yet), printing rights, and the type of photos we wanted. I told her we preferred natural snapshots that tell a story of our day. We love in-the-moment photos that are bursting with of love and happiness, not necessarily just a group of people awkwardly smiling at a camera. We’ll need a few family shots (just a shot or two of immediate family), but nothing crazy.

(p.s. ^Love the look of the cardigan with the wedding dress ^)

Andrea is also shooting my sister’s wedding next month, which will be fun since I’ll get to see her in action. Kelly and I spent a good portion of our flight up to Cincy last weekend basically discussing how much Andrea’s photographer rocks and how we can’t wait to have her photograph our weddings. To say we’re excited would be an understatement.

Seriously – how can you not love her work?!

*all photos courtesy of http://www.andreahubbell.com/

How did you choose your wedding photographer?

1 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy May 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I agree, photos are incredibly important (to me) and I’m willing to spend a bit more just to get good ones. Looks like you guys are going to have some great photos. Love the cardigan look too!
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..Overdo it much?

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Her pictures all look great! And that’s awesome that you’ll be able to see what she does at Kelly’s wedding!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

3 abbi May 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Her photos are wonderful! I became slightly obsessed with wedding photos before my husband and I got married. We had a super-tiny wedding so I didn’t splurge all out but still went with a photographer I loved but still within a fairly inexpensive price range. Looks like you are going to have some great photos!
abbi recently posted..Weekly Runner Photo Challenge: Favorite Race Picture

4 Lizzie May 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I LOVE Andrea’s photography! I am in Charlottesville so I often see her photos around =) So cool that she is your cousin! I am pitching her as a photographer to my brother and his fiancee since they are planning to get married in cville and her photography is so awesome.

COOL!
Lizzie recently posted..Race Weekend

5 Erin May 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm

We found a photographer who had mostly done family photography but very much in the style that we liked (casual, not posed, no cheesy typical pictures that you see everywhere). Since they only had a couple of weddings in their portfolio they agreed to do ours for a quarter of the going rate of all other photographers (whose pics I liked way less anyway) in return for adding it to their portfolio. Paying 1/4 of the price for the photographer we liked best = best case scenario!! If you’re looking to save money, definitely look for someone whose pics you like but is trying to beef up their portfolio for weddings!!

6 Carrie May 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Wow those are nice shots! We skimped on our wedding photographer ( we had a very bare bones budget) and while our photos are OKAY, they certainly aren’t great.
Carrie recently posted..Easy Peasy Baked Tortilla Chips

7 Christy May 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Love the 3rd to last image. I have some weird love with the sky in pictures. Photos are the most important, totally agree! My husband and I didn’t skimp on photos and videography, and though we pushed our wallets at the time, looking back it was so worth it. SO worth it.

8 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Ah, I’m happy to hear you’re using your cousin! That’ll be fun to keep it in the family! I have a great friend from college who used to be a professional wedding photographer and I love love love his work; he promised me he would be my wedding photographer when ever i got married as my wedding present! So, I’m set and I’m not even engaged…soon hopefully ๐Ÿ˜‰
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Here or There? by Biz

9 Erin May 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I got married in the days of actual film and proof books and I wanted a photographer who did digital and would put the photos online for my friends and family to peruse and order at their leisure. There weren’t a lot of choices in my town so we went with the one I could find. His photos were okay. But I didn’t make a list of the shots I really wanted and I’m still bummed that I don’t have any photos of just my mom and I on my wedding day.
Erin recently posted..Moti-what?

10 Jenn (eating bender) May 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Andrea is such a talent! I had forgotten you two were cousins – SO awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have no doubt that both you and Kelly will have some gorgeous photos to share, and could not agree more that it’s worth the extra spend. That and a videographer or even just a camera on a tripod, if you’re on the fence. We weren’t really sure what we wanted to do and ended up going with assigning a friend with a flip cam. Though they got some great moments, there are some (such as wedding toasts, etc.) that we’d love to have in high-quality rather than grainy and hard to hear. Luckily, we had a great photographer, too – at the end of the day, the photos are the best part. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jenn (eating bender) recently posted..Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

11 Andrea May 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm

YAY! Meghann, I am SO excited for yours and Kelly’s weddings!!! And I am beyond thrilled and flattered that you asked me to be there to capture your day. xoxo!

12 Claire May 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Other than reception cost, we spent a majority of our budget on photography. We bought the copyrights to all the photos (over 600) and the photographer was there literally ALL day long. It was well worth it!! The photos were stunning and exactly what we wanted. One suggestion: make a photography list/time-line and give it to everyone in the wedding party + family who will be in pics. We had ours down to times, plus had the family pictures in a very specific order. It ran so smoothly, there was no confusion, and we got every shot we wanted!
Claire recently posted..Random Musings

13 Kath May 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

So glad to hear this!!!!!!!!!!! Andrea is so talented, and her wedding shots (esp. the outdoor ones!) are stunning!
Kath recently posted..Sew Fun!

14 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher May 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

her photos are breathtaking! i agree, i think wedding photography is totally worth the price!

15 Hillary May 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

These photos are gorgeous! I agree; it’s totally worth it to splurge on the pictures. I already think that the two things I’ll REALLY care about for my wedding will be photos and location/food!
Hillary recently posted..Pasta Salad Puzzle

16 Abby May 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Lovely!!! It took us sooo long to find a photographer! I know this is sorta sad, but we judged the photographer pretty heavily based on their website. Poor design? Nope. Next. Also we look for people who could take really good pictures of people! Once you start looking for that its hard to find anyone who really captures the essence of someone. Getting down to the wire we finally found a wonderful couple ( 1313 Photography). They were AWESOME. Not only were they super into our wedding (we DIY-ed quite a bit of it) they also helped with day of stuff like putting Ben’s boutonniere and other sorts of things. They go through these things every weekend so they knew the ropes! That’s so awesome you get to have a very talented relative! You HAVE to work well with the photographers! They get all up in your business! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Kat @ Balance & Spice May 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Beautiful work. I’ve been trying to convince my partner’s cousin how important having a great photographer is, because I too have seen it go downhill. If only we were in Charlottesville, not Australia!
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Speedwork Jitters

18 asian wedding photography May 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm

i love the photo of the person taking a picture through the ipad..

19 Brooke January 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm

It is SO important to hire a professional for your wedding, I’m glad that you chose a great photographer!
Brooke recently posted..Colorado Wedding Photography โ€“ Wings Over the Rockies Wedding Shoot