New Shoes

by Meghann on May 9, 2012

Hello, beautiful!

newshoes.jpg

You know you’re a runner when… you have a stock pile of running shoes waiting for you in your closet. ;)

My beloved Brook Glycerin 8s were discontinued last year (something that my heart is still breaking over). Usually the golden rule is once you find a shoe you love – you stick with it… until they stop making it. :( The good news is that, when they stop making the shoe, you can usually find some pretty good deals online. I found my Brooks on clearance for under $60 last fall and bought three pairs. Hey, when you find a shoe that works for a good price – you stock up!

The Glycerin 8s haven’t disappeared completely yet (you can still find them online) and it was nice to just walk in my closet this morning for a fresh pair without having to think twice about it.

I took a brief break from my Brooks this winter to test drive the Mizuno route. The Mizunos worked great (hell, they got me through 2 new PRs!), but I definitely pushed them a little past their limits. My toes developed some blisters in the last few weeks of training that just didn’t look right. It felt so nice to slip on a brand new pair of shoes this morning – my feet were thanking me!

I wore my new shoes (and new Flying Pig Marathon shirt!) to the gym this morning to re-aquaint myself with the treadmill and weight room.

flyingpigshirt.jpg

(p.s. totally digging the Flying Pig tech tee! It’s an asic’s brand women’s-fit tech tee that’s nice and long, but not too tight. It was just the right fit. )

My plans for the gym weren’t too ambitious. I brought my ipad and really just wanted to read while walking the treadmill. I set a goal of 30 minutes and found a comfortable pace at 3.5 with a 1% incline. Usually I’ll go for a higher incline when walking the treadmill, but my legs are still recovering from the hills of Cincinnati and anything higher than 1% was a little painful. Come one legs, recover already!

After the treadmill, I headed to the free weights for some arm work. Nothing big, just some shoulder presses, push-ups, and bicep curls. I’m hoping to get back with the Tone It Up plan when my legs are ready to be tortured again. ;)

Breakfast was the real winner this morning.

Three defrosted Oatmeal “Cookie” Pancakes that I reheated in the toaster and topped with peanut butter, pumpkin butter and apple slices. Talk about a delicious morning treat!

And filling too. Either that or I’m still stuff from last night’s sushi feast. ;)

Do you have a stockpile of running shoes in your closet?

1 Sana May 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hahah you have your own running shoe store!

2 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

I need some new shoes. Mine were discontinued too and I’ve been trying to find the right ones ever since. Do you keep all your race shirts or just the ones that fit that you wear? I notice that I don’t have room for mine anymore! I had to get rid of some of the ones that could double for a dress. :-)

3 Meghann May 9, 2012 at 10:50 am

I had the majority of my cotton race shirts turned in to a blanket a couple of years ago ( http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/08/27/memory-blanket/ ). The tech tee ones that fit, I’ll wear to the gym and the ones that are too big – Derek wears.

4 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 9, 2012 at 10:58 am

Oh, I remember that post. Such a good idea! I need to meet someone that knows how to sew.

5 Dori May 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

Love your stockpile of shoes! I don’t have one but I should probably check up on the status of my shoes to see if they’re discontinued…

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

I don’t stockpile shoes but I really should! I wear the Brooks Adrenaline and was so bummed when the updated the 10 to the 11 (I did not like the 11) but by that time I couldn’t find the 10′s anywhere- even online! Bummer.

Your Flying Pig shirt looks awesome- I love the women’s cut but they’re always so short! It’s good to know Asics realized this problem and made a longer shirt.

7 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing May 9, 2012 at 10:51 am

I found a pair of Brooks Glycerin on 6pm.com for $45 a couple of months ago! I thought that was an excellent deal. I’m kicking myself for not buying more than one pair!

8 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life May 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

Ahh I love the pig tech tee too! Fits perfect and I loved the option of ordering the ‘ladies fit.’ I am in need of a new pair of shoes too, but looks like I will be headed to the store for mine! :-)

9 Elizabeth May 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

I loved your.. “you know your a runner when..” Your post about running shoes got me really excited because this weekend I am stocking up!

10 Ashley May 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

I usually run my shoes into the ground before going out and purchasing a new pair. Probably not good idea. ;)

11 Kate May 9, 2012 at 11:42 am

I totally have a stockpile of glycerin 8′s as well. I was so sad they were discontinued but pretty excited to buy a bunch for 60 dollars. It will be a sad day when my last pair is used up (in over a year… hah).

12 Annette @FitnessPerks May 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

I love that you have a bunch of shoes waiting for you. SO cool.

13 Hillary May 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I actually made the mistake of not stocking up on my favorite Asics before they were discontinued. Luckily, I’m really loving the shoe they replaced them with!

14 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I love new sneakers… mine are starting to get sorta dirty looking but they aren’t anywhere near needing to be replaced yet. It kinda makes me sad lol.

15 pi May 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

i need to start my own stockpile! I am still trying to find shoes I really like. I did have a question for you – do you eat anything before you workout?

16 Meghann May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I usually have half a granola bar.

17 Emily N May 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I busted out my new shoes this morning too. I bought 3 pairs of my Asics Cumulus 13 at the expo on Saturday (good ole Bob Roncker’s had TONS for $60 a pair!) so I retired the ones I was wearing, and got out the new ones for today’s run!

18 Laura @ My Pink Thumb May 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I definitely don’t have a stock pile of shoes, but just wanted to say that I recently picked up my first pair of Brooks Glycerin 8′s for $60 and I am in love. They’re like running on clouds! :)

19 Dana May 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

So glad to know I’m not the only one with an athletic shoe store in the bottom of the closet! :)

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have 4 pairs and counting. ;) I seriously spend more money on workout/running gear than normal clothes!

21 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm

After 26.2 miles I’m sure your legs could use a break! I remember reading on another blog that to determine the numbers of days you should take off from running after a race, divide the number of miles by 2. Do you follow that? Lol 2 weeks seems like a long time!

22 Meghann May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I usually go by how my legs feel. Some marathons I feel like running the next day, other marathons I have to wait. I think the hills killed my legs this time around so recovery is looking to be a bit longer. :)

23 Amelia May 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

FYI…the Brooks Glycerin 9 is almost identical to the 8…just a color update and it is also a higher cushion shoe (so you will get more miles on them!). I work in a running store and must say that the 9s are so so so much better than the 8s. When it is a shoe with a number (ie Brooks Adrenaline 10) it doesn’t mean they have discontinued the shoe just updated it. And to the reader who runs in the Adrenaline…the update on that shoe is always only color because it is their best selling shoe.

24 Jessica May 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

they always update something on the adrenaline, make it lighter, added more DNA, lacing, outsole, etc. not just the color?

25 Briana May 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I don’t typically buy shoes until I absolutely need them (like now), but when I do purchase a new pair I NEVER throw the old ones away! So I have about 5 pairs of old running shoes that I wear to the store and for the occasional walk. Brooks is my brand – I’ve run all of my marathons in Brooks Cascadias or the Launch! Excellent choice! And congrats on completing Flying Pig…you definitely deserve a new pair of sneaks for that!

Briana

26 BroccoliHut May 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I had a love affair with Nike Air Pegasus for several years…until I got an injury that was likely caused by improperly fitting shoes :( Nonetheless, I still love their comfort for just walking around in, so I still have about 5 pairs sitting in my closet. These days I’ve been rocking Asics Cumulus, but they are well past their retirement date too!

27 Melissa May 10, 2012 at 1:18 am

I haven’t stocked up on running shoes, but when I was dancing all the time I would buy 2-3 pairs of pointe shoes at a time. It was expensive, but so worth it to know the shoes were waiting! Plus, I often wore a couple pairs at a time so they’d have enough time to dry out and therefore last longer.

28 Jessica May 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

what do you mean they discontinued the glycerin? They just updated it to the glycerin 9, which is a whole lot more comfy, In my opinion. Ive been with the glycerin since #7. The current version is a lot more softer and more flexible material, and lighter too! And rumor has it (from running specialty store techs) is that shoe’s material is designed to break down over time, even in the box! meaning you wont get as much miles out of it…but who knows if its true.

29 Josh October 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm

What do you do with the old ones you dont want anymore?