The sports bra that supported me through 26.2 miles

by Meghann on May 8, 2012

A couple of weeks ago Under Amour reached out to a handful of bloggers via Twitter with an opportunity to test out their new Armour Bra (marketed as the sports bra designed “just for you”). It didn’t take long for their “Armour Bra Story” video to win me over. <– seriously, I’m a marketer’s dream. pretty photos or video and I’m sold!

The new Armour Bra is a pretty impressive piece of of supportive equipment. The high-impact sports bra is sized by cup and band size (instead of the traditional S, M, or L) and is made to truly fit a woman’s body.

The bras are color coded by cup size

Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.11.23 PM.png

Blue = B-cup. Hollar!

And each cup size is cut differently in the back for different levels of support, so the smaller cup size has a different shape and feel than the larger cup size.

A “Behind the Seams” run down from Under Armour:

• Signature Moisture Transport System wicks sweat to keep you cool, dry, and light
  • Next generation power sling construction cradles you for superior support that stays put
  • Strategic mesh venting in back for enhanced ventilation to keep you cooler & drier than ever
  • Bonded seam-free construction helps eliminate painful rubbing and chafing
  • Removable molded cups deliver modesty, support, and a smoother, more streamlined silhouette
  • Keyhole racer back design for extra ventilation and easy on/off
  • Adjustable hook and eye back with a soft, padded closure system

Impressive, right?

When the Armour Bra arrived last week, the first thing I noticed was how light and airy the bra was. It held everything in place but didn’t feel squished. Nothing was pulling, nothing was too tight or too loose, and the cups really did mold to the girls.

I wore the sports bra during my final pre-marathon 6 mile run last Thursday and was impressed. Not only was this sports bra comfortable, but it did its job. Nothing even slightly jiggled out of place and the mesh backing really did keep me cool in the early Florida heat.

In fact, I was so impressed with the Armour Bra, that I made the very last minute decision to wear it during the Flying Pig Marathon on Sunday.

IMG_2869.jpg

I had tested my Moving Comfort running outfit on Tuesday and the Armour Bra on Thursday, but I knew I was taking a chance by not testing them out together. Originally I was just going to rely on the built-in support from the Moving Comfort top (which passed the 5 mile test), but the Armour Bra impressed me so much, I decided that extra support for 26.2 miles wouldn’t be a bad idea. If worst came to worst, I could just lose the shirt and run in the sports bra. (another reason why I wanted to wear the sports bra, since high temps were predicted and I might feel the need to take my shirt off if it got too hot).

IMG_2928.jpg

Luckily, everything worked out in the end. Turns out I was thankful for the extra support on the course and the Armour Bra stayed just as supportive and comfortable through all 26.2 miles as it had for 6. The bra was also breathable (as was my Moving Comfort top), so I never felt overheated, and I never chafed (which I’ve done before during a marathon and, trust me, it’s not fun).

The Armour Bra retails for $57.99 (and can be found on UnderArmour.com or Amazon). I’ll admit that the price does sound a bit steep ($57 for a sports bra?!?!), but if you research high-impact sports bras on the web, you’ll find that the price is competitive. I’ve skimped on the level of support in the past because of price in the past, but I could always feel the difference. Sometimes it’s worth it to invest in a good sports bra (just as it is to invest in a good running skirt or pair of shoes. ;) ).

What do you look for in a sports bra? And what’s your favorite?

I had lunch pictures to share, but I accidentally left my SD card at home (oops!). Just picture a leftover Lentil Burger and roasted potatoes over a bed of spring mix with feta cheese and honey mustard dressing. Yum! :)

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Did the clips in the back bother you at all? I have scars on my back from different sports bras…

2 Meghann May 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Not at all! It really is a seamless fit!

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 8, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Great to hear! I have tried so many – including Moving Comfort, love their clothes, but the bra cut my back :( and always end up going back to the cheapy Target C9 ones because I know they won’t hurt me…

Thanks, Meghann!

4 Sana May 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

The tata tamer is for about the same price as well, $48ish. But boob support is worth it!

5 Katy @ Couch to 5Katy May 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I still am in the process of looking for a favorite. Did the little clasps in the back cut into you at all?

6 Meghann May 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Funny, someone else asked that above! The clasps didn’t bother me at all, I didn’t even feel them back there. It’s a seamless fit with nothing poking out.

7 Jessica May 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I might have to try this one out. I have a hard time finding sports bras that fit. And they usually don’t carry them in my specific size.

8 Lindsey May 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My favorite one is from Gap Body for medium impact, and for low impact the Lululemon Flow Y bra . I own a few different types of sports bra, lower impact shelf type ones I can wear for weight training and light cross training and then medium impact ones for sports and running. I always prefer ones that are black too.

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Woohoo for blue B’s!! I tested it as well and loved how smooth it felt. It also breathed really well, and I don’t say this about many sports bras but I felt I could have probably run in it without a shirt over top and not felt totally naked! My main criticism though, was that it’s a little pricey.

10 erica May 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm

my favorite has been from Gap Body…i don’t really need much support since i’m pretty much the president of the IBTC. ;p

11 Kelly May 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I love under armour products and have a ton of their stuff, including sneakers, however I will not pay $60 for a sports bra! $9.99 at target works just fine for me and I am a FULL C cup :)

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Although that bra sounds awesome, I have to stick to my Champion sports bras on a law school budget. All I need for my non-existent chest

13 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway May 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

My number one complaint about most sports bras is that they are too thick and tight. I want something supportive, light, and nothing digging into me! I definitely need to try one of these on- it looks perfect!

14 Annette @FitnessPerks May 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Totally worth it! Looks awesome! I have found some good ones lately–moving comfort and another from Nordstrom that I love. It’s important to have a good one!

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have one that I actually got from Target that I just love! I would tell you the brand, but it’s on my body as we speak haha! ;) I love the fit and I love the skinnier straps that criss-cross on my back. :)

16 Heather May 8, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I am happy it works for those with smaller chest. I was so hopeful when this bra came out, but the DD was not nearly supportive enough. I was bouncing all over the place when i did a little bit of running and jumping in the fitting room. I like the way it looks much better looking than the moving comfort bras I have. Oh well, maybe someday they will make a truly great sports bra for larger chests.

The comments about the price are funny, because at a large 36DD, I would pay just about anything for a great sports bra. I have found some that work, but nothing I love and they are all about $40 to $60.

17 Lindsay May 8, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I have Lulu’s tata tamer and it works well. I’m a DD, but fit into the D cup of the tata tamer somehow. You should try!

18 Mrs. Wookie May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Hey Heather,

I too am a 30DD+++ (yay, genetics) athleticizer – have you heard of Freya? They’re a British (they make up to a J! My goodness…) company with everything from underwear, sports bras, and swimsuits. While it’s definitely some investing (my sports bras were $74 – although I waited for sales on BareNecessities.com, so I didn’t pay full price), it’s worth poking around for those of us with more to harness in. :)

19 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing May 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I have several different sports bras but my favorite is a Champion from Target.

20 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I think you just created their new tag line: “the cups really did mold to the girls.”

:-P

21 Dori May 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

My favorite sports bra by far is Lululemon’s 50 Rep Bra which they very sadly discontinued. If I knew that was happening, I would have stocked up. I can’t wear sports bras that run by bra size like your Under Armour because I am an unusual size that no one makes.

22 kalli May 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

i am in love with the lulu tata tamer but this one seems comparable!

23 Carrie May 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hmm, I’m in the market for a new sports bra or two, I’ll have to check these out!

24 Corey @ Learning Patience May 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm

hmmm thanks for the heads up – I will have to check it out!

xoxo from Trinidad

25 Army Amy* May 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

A good bra is worth the $! My favorite sports bras are made by Champion. I bought three of them, but I would have bought more if I knew they were going to be discontinued.*

26 Theresa @ ActiveEggplant May 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm

As a large chested runner (42D) I have to agree with some of the other commenters above: $57 is worth it for a truly supportive high impact sports bra! I’ll have to keep my eye out for this new UnderArmour bra!

27 Hillary May 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I truly believe no one makes a better sports bra than Under Armour! I’ve bought a bunch and have actually gotten a few for free (a colleague’s daughter works for them here in Baltimore and throws prototypes my way sometimes. It’s freaking awesome!)

28 Miq May 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

As a well endowed young lady I’ve always had to buy expensive sports bras, but it wasn’t until I made friends who were American that I realised how different your sports bras are from ours (I’m from New Zealand) ours always have an underwire. Your sports bras are what I would call a croptop!!

29 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I don’t have the biggest girls but I think all shapes and sizes need support. I’m all for paying the extra $$. If it makes a run more comfortable, do it!

30 Raffi May 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm

My favorites are the Le Mystere Energie and the Freya Active. Le Mystere is heavier and padded but the straps are very adjustable. Freya is lighter and ugly but SOOOO supportive and comes up to a K-cup.
Too many women don’t know the difference between a compression bra and an encapsulation bra. If you are a big C or bigger, you should have an encapsulation bra for high impact activities or you risk more drooping later. Check this out http://www.intimateguide.com/articles/why-you-need-sports-bra/

31 Monica May 8, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I love these new under armor bras. The price was steep but totally worth it!

32 Jamie May 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Love this bra!! I have ( 8 week old) 32DDDs and am not used to the bouncing that comes with exercise. I was only 32B before so it was never an issue. I bought this bra in a 32DD and love that it is tight and keeps the girls in place when I work out. I have a champion under wire sports bra too that works really well but it is super old lady looking.

33 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style May 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I like the fact that there are molded cups and the mesh keyhole racer back on the sports bra. I’m going to have to check it out soon.

But I did you have one quick question for you – did you have any issues with chafing? I have a sports bra that cuts into skin after I run 3 miles and it’s extremely painful. I’ve been buying Adidas and Nike bras, but they don’t have the molded cups. Which I like to wear when I have on a fitted top.

34 mi-an d. May 9, 2012 at 7:55 am

thanks for the review! i’ve been looking at lulu’s tatatamer but this one looks legit too!