And let me tell you, Yelp knows how to spoil their Elite members!
In case you’re not familiar with Yelp – or their Elite program – it’s a user-generated social website where users can review local restaurants, businesses, etc. Their Elite program is set up to reward their most active users and is essentially open to anyone and everyone! All you have to do is create a Yelp account and review your little heart out (feel free to friend me in the process 😉 ).
I’ve been active on Yelp since 2009 (it’s seriously my favorite app on my droid when finding new places to eat in unfamiliar areas), but I only recently earned the rank of ‘Elite ’12’ in the last month. Tonight was my first Elite event!
I’ve heard from other Elite Yelpers that the Elite events are pretty badass. They usually consist of free food, free drinks, and an array of Elite Yelpers who are just as crazy about good eats as I am. Sounds like a good time to me!
Tonight’s event was held at Samurai Blue (an AWESOME Sushi spot downtown), which was completely closed off for the private event. My friend Mary and I were the two of the first to arrive and, of course, headed straight to the bar to check out the free drink selection.
We each enjoyed a glass of the Matchbook Tinto Rey while mingling.
(Don’t you LOVE Mary’s dress! She said she found it at consignment shop! Such a great find. )
We also took turns drooling over the food that was about to be served.
Let’s just say they made sure we were well fed. We tried a little bit of everything – family style.
- Kamikaze Roll: salmon, crab, asparagus, avocado, scallions, alfalfa sprouts, and smelt roe wrapped with cucumber
- Ahi Tuna Tataki: sesame seared with a spicy ponzu sauce topped with a harusame salad
What is it about raw tuna that is sooooo good?!? Amazing.
- Momiji – Tuna: cubed big eye tuna sashimi mixed with spicy pepper
- Blue Crab Rangoon: lump blue crab, cream cheeses, and chives in a crispy wonton wrapper <— my favorite!!
Being my favorite didn’t mean it was any easier to eat with chop sticks. Fail.
The best part about the Yelp Elite event was making friends with fellow Yelpers. They’re definitely a special breed. 😉
Sake Bomb! Sake Bomb! Sake Bomb!
I think that means he was also the only one not driving himself home. 😉
- Tempura Lobster: tuna, crab, cucumber, and scallions topped with tempura lobster and smelt roe
- Blue Moon: lump blue crab, cream cheese, asparagus, and scallions served tempura style
- Nigiri and Sashimi: big eye tuna, japanese madai snapper, Hawaiian kanpachi, Scottish salmon, fresh scallop
- Petite Peppercorn Crusted Filet Mignon: served with baby bok choy, potatoes, and a shitake demi glaze.
The bok choy was AMAZING!!! I actually have bok choy in my fridge right now and want to try and recreate this tomorrow night. The steak was great too – right up there with the sushi in terms of fabulousness. 😉
- Petite Steamed Ginger Salmon
Everything was great, but I have to stay the sashimi and bok choy stood out as my favorites. Derek doesn’t like sushi (which is why I don’t get to eat it as often as I would like), but I bet if I showed him the photo of the steak, I could persuade him into eating here again. 😉
- Matcha Pookie
- Yuzu Pookie
The chocolate and green tea pookies were my favorite. Sorta like a Japanese macaroon.
- Shaven Ice Matcha Sundae
I wasn’t sure I would like the sundae, but I LOVED it. I was the only one at the table to polish off every bite. I loved the mix of textures and flavors.
After that you could have stuck a fork in me – I was done!
Are you a part of the Yelp Elite crew in your area?!