The Day After

by Meghann on May 7, 2012

Yesterday I ran 26.2 miles.

DSC_0093.JPG

(Thank you, Beth, for the great shot at the finish line!)

Today, I rested.

Rest is a beautiful thing. :)

I’m not going to lie – my legs were not very happy with me this morning. My IT bands were TIGHT and I had what I like to call the “marathon hobble.” It was the worst when I first got up – and my legs hadn’t moved in 8+ hours – but once I started moving, it began to feel better. The key to post-marathon recovery is to keep moving, the minute you sit down is the minute you regret it when you have to stand up again. Standing up is a bitch. Also, stairs. Those aren’t fun either. ;)

My feet and toes are really in the worst shape. Let’s just say I may have pushed my shoes one race too far and they are officially up for retirement. I’ll save you the photos of my feet, but trust me when I say they’re not pretty. I have a blood blister on the side of my my big toe, another blood blister on the toe next to that, and a big water blister on the pinky toe of my other foot. Thankfully I still have all of my toenails (woo hoo), but the blisters have me wincing. Ouch.

It’s been a nice run, Mizunos. You gave me 4 amazing months of running and 2 awesome PRs, but I think it’s time to move on.

You will be missed.

Still, nothing can beat that post-marathon high I’m still reveling in. How long is it considered appropriate to continue to wear your medal after a race? One day? Two days? An entire week?! I’m pretty sure I never want to take it off.

I’ve been reviewing every little detail of yesterday’s race in my head. Last night I kept pressing refresh on the race results page for my official splits and this morning I attempted to upload my stats from my Garmin to my computer (couldn’t get it to work :() before giving up and just manually plugging them into excel.

Screen shot 2012-05-06 at 10.44.22 PM.png

I love going over the numbers and seeing where I can improve in the future and where I surprised myself in pushing passed my limits.

FlyingPigStats.jpg

It feels good to review those numbers and know I ran a smart race. Even with the hills, I never slowed passed a 9:32 mile and the majority of the race was at sub-9:00 for an overall 9:03 average. My fastest mile was mile 11 at 8:35, where I rode the downhill, and my slowest mile was 9:32 at mile 25, where I was really starting to hurt and ready for the race to be over.

Compare the above times with the elevation chart and you can definitely see a pattern in the dips and climbs.

Screen shot 2012-05-07 at 1.59.31 PM.png

Also, something I noticed, my bathroom stop at mile 18 was nonexistent in my stats.

Screen shot 2012-05-07 at 2.50.52 PM.png

Further proof not to be afraid to take a bathroom break if you need it. Yes, it’s still possible to PR and make a pit stop. Trust me. Just look for a porta potty without a line and get-in and get-out. Done.

Instead of driving straight to Tampa last night, I stayed at my sister’s place in Orlando. This morning we both enjoyed a couple of well deserved extra hours of sleep, before making eggs and toast for breakfast.

I love that she had dill for the eggs. Dil + scrambled eggs = amazing.

We both enjoyed a few downward dog stretches and pigeon poses (hurt-so-good), while dreaming up our next races. Yes, we spent the majority of the morning reviewing our times before googling “flat and fast marathon courses.” We have a disease – it’s called “running.”

I’ve decided not to run Disney the week after my wedding (:() and am instead looking at February or March marathons with Kelly. Nothing is set in stone, but it is fun to look. I’m telling you that post-race high makes you do crazy things. There has to be research out there that shows how much more willing a person is to register for a race immediately following another race versus out of the blue. I bet 75% of people who register for marathons just finished running another race and registered the next day.

I left Kelly before she talked me into anything too crazy and started back on my way to Tampa.

I snacked on a bag of animal crackers from yesterday’s marathon finisher’s chute during the drive.

And stopped at Taco Bus in Tampa for lunch.

I knew we didn’t have any food in the house, and knowing Taco Bus was waiting for me in Tampa only made the drive go by that much faster.

I had the taco lunch platter with pollo verde and pork.

I ate it all. I sometimes forget how delicious Taco Bus is. They have the BEST tacos. Ever.

I have a post-marathon massage scheduled for this afternoon (God bless Groupon deals!) as a special you-just-ran-26.2-miles treat. That massage can not come fast enough. :)

1 Cait's Plate May 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Enjoy your massage – you deserve it!!

2 Jessica May 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Love, love, love the Taco Bus! Relax you earned it. :)

3 Sana May 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm

:) That taco bus looks awesome!

4 Sandy May 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

You had an amazing race. You should be very proud and deserve a day of pampering yourself. Hope your massage is the best!!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks May 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Nice job on the race!! Enjoy the massage :) That sounds amazing to me right now too! hehe.

6 Elise May 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

congrats! your comments about willingness to sign up for another race made me laugh – i ran disney princess half last year, finished the race, said “i’m not going to sign up for any more long runs” and signed up for the chicago half THE NEXT DAY. haha oh well, if it weren’t for that effect, there’d be no one running races… and honestly, even after telling myself and many others that i’d never run a marathon, your recap yesterday has me considering chicago 2013…

happy recovering!

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 7, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Those tacos look delicious! Enjoy your massage and rest up those feet!

8 Christina S. May 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

You should look into doing the 26.2 with Donna in Jacksonville in February of next year. I’ve done the half marathon the last 2 years and it remains my favorite race I’ve ever done. Great course, with part of it actually run on the beach, and amazing crowd support!

9 Heather May 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I totally get you on the signing up for another race. I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon Relay yesterday after only running for a few months and I spent a half hour this morning trying to decide about signing for a 10K or half later this year or early 2013.

10 Deva @ Deva by Definition May 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

halfway through the half yesterday I looked at my friend Erica and said “no more half marathons,” and today I’m researching more half marathons.

Did I mention yesterday was my first half? Yeah. Training for it was time-consuming but I’m ready for another!

11 Cate May 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

i love when athletes are sore, then stretch and say it hurts so good! we all know what that is like… it’s like, yeah i’m in pain, but it was so worth it. In terms of another race, you should check out CIM in Sacramento. I’ve never run it, but it’s known for being a fast course with a net-downhill. My co-worker runs it every year and says it’s her favorite race.

12 Coco May 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

A massage is well deserved! I’m glad you kept all your toe nails.. hah

13 Lindsey d. May 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm
14 Meghan May 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hi Meghann,

This one’s a year off, since it happens the same weekend as the Flying Pig, but I’d really recommend you keep the Colorado marathon in the back of your mind. Fastest, most beautiful course I’ve ever run. I know there are courses with steeper downhills, but this one is a nice, gentle, flat-to-downhill gradient the whole way. And it’s just lovely and so well-organized. A ton of people are able to BQ. I know you get up to Colorado occasionally for skiing- you might have to run there, too ;)

15 Mel May 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

You should look into the Air Force Marathon. It’s September 15th, in Dayton OH. A great race with a B-2 Flyover at the beginning! http://www.usafmarathon.com/

16 Renee May 7, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I seriously want those tacos now, they look amazing!

And for flat and fast courses you could always travel to Lincoln, Nebraska for the National Guard Marathon (it’s in May lincolnrun.org) :)

17 Meg at runridelove.com May 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

If you want another destination marathon, I highly recommend the Wine Glass Marathon in upstate NY! It’s in my hometown, and was voted runner’s world ‘speediest marathon’ in 2010(?). It’s small, trends downhill, and in beautiful wine country of the Finger Lakes.

18 Mary May 7, 2012 at 8:21 pm

that’s near my neck of the woods too! I’m a Syracuse NY native. I have a friend who ran it this past year and loved it! Its on my list to do as well :)

19 Brooke May 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Congratulations. What an achievement. I almost cried when I read your post yesterday. I am not a fit person, but I did a starter tri a couple of years ago and loved it. Didn’t do it last year because I was pregnant, but your post yesterday has inspired me to sign up to do it again!

20 BroccoliHut May 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

CONGRATS! Enjoy some much-deserved R & R.
PS Now I am craving animal crackers.

21 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 7, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Those tacos look delicious! And enjoy your rest!

22 Abby May 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Come down to Sarasota for the 1/2 marathon! I know its not a full but its a great race and its close by! Its March 17th 2013 :)

23 Erin May 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Still waiting for a “guest list post” breakdown. Comments deleted, comments from Derek’s mom, comments frozen… And now ignored totally?

24 Christy May 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Nice time!! Great job!! I hate stairs and trying to sit down on the toilet afterwards. lol. Think I’ve about pulled the tp holder outta the wall. Happy recovery!

25 Mary May 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Hope you enjoyed your massage girl! you deserve it!

26 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I’ve yet to run a marathon (first one will be in September) but I have run multiple 1/2 marathons. I do the same thing. While I’m running, I’m already thinking of what race to sign up for next!

Great job on you race!

27 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Oh my dear sweet jessus that taco bus plate looks amazing.

28 Lee May 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm

The Georgia Marathon is in March. Just sayin….

29 Samantha Angela May 7, 2012 at 10:02 pm

You did an amazing job with the marathon!! You should be really proud of that race and you deserve all the rest you can get :)

30 Karen May 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I <3 your post-race updates!!! And a race called the "Flying Pig"? OMG! How great is that! Glad to read how well you and your sister did. Enjoy the much deserved rest.

Oh, BTW, the Edmonton Derby marathon is fast and flat. Just saying…

31 mi-an d. May 7, 2012 at 10:27 pm

congrats chica!!

32 Sarah @ RunningChickago May 8, 2012 at 12:36 am

congratulations on your run! :)

33 Melissa @TryingtoHeal May 8, 2012 at 7:23 am

Great job on the marathon Megs, I’m happy that you were able to PR on this race, even with the hills.

34 Emily N May 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

Mmm, those tacos look pretty sweet! Glad you kept Kelly from talking you in to anything TOO crazy! ;-) Do you have a fall marathon on the books? I can’t remember!

35 Theodora May 8, 2012 at 10:57 am

I think the pace bands are clutch for a bathroom break not taking you too far off pace, too. I stopped for a bathroom break during NYCM and still managed to beat my goal because I kept staring at the pace band to see how much time I’d have to make up.