Post-Race Treat

by Meghann on May 7, 2012

I think Maddie has the right idea here.

She sure looks comfy. :)

A post-marathon massage was a tradition I started after my very first marathon back in 2009. I made the appointment before I left for San Diego and it was one of the things that got me through those last few miles. “Finish the marathon, Get a massage.” Became my marathon mantra. Since then, I’ve made an appointment after every marathon. Some people treat themselves with big cupcakes or new clothes – I go the massage route. ;)

This afternoon’s massage was just what the doctor ordered! I informed the masseuse I had just run a marathon the day before. She concentrated between my shoulders (where I tend to hold a lot of tension when I run) and my legs. My IT bands were still TIGHT and needed a good rub down.

I left the spa feeling good and headed straight to Publix to load up on the groceries for the week. While I was there, the Apron Meals station was making some pecan-crusted chicken tenders that caught my attention. I grabbed the recipe card and decided to casually re-produce them at home for dinner.

I tried to find the recipe online, but could only find the tilapia version. It was basically the same recipe, only with chicken. It was quick and easy and done in less than 30 minutes.

Derek has been requesting white potatoes lately, so I roasted two big baking potatoes with salt, pepper, and a random seasoning mix.

Okra is heading back into season and looked really good at the market today. I had to pick some up! I sautéed the fresh okra with onion and a can of diced tomatoes.

It was a delicious dinner that came together quickly. Can’t complain here. :)

With Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream with a defrosted 10-grain cookie for dessert.

Good Night!

Do you have a post-race tradition that you indulge in?

1 Katie @ Creature of Habit May 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm

That sounds like an absolutely perfect, totally deserved post-race treat. And probably much better for you than the cupcake or other dessert item I would go running towards.

2 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 8, 2012 at 12:20 am

I have to admit I have never tried okra before. I have always heard it was slimy and have been afraid to try it. Not to mention it’s not incredibly common at MI grocery stores. I will have to try it some time!

3 Sarah @ RunningChickago May 8, 2012 at 12:33 am

your dinner and dessert look so delicious! i’ll definitely have to try this recipe out since it’s a quick one, too!

4 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 8, 2012 at 6:03 am

A post race massage sounds awesome. I always SAY I am going to do it, but I don’t schedule one before hand – and as a result, never get around to doing it!

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 8, 2012 at 7:45 am

Pecan crusted chicken sounds delicious! Definitely going to have to try the recipe :)

6 Emily N May 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

I very seriously considered a massage as a post marathon treat yesterday, but then the time got away from me so I just spent an hour with my foam roller and my stick. :) It worked out because my body is feeling good, but probably still not as good as a massage!

7 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

What a great idea! I need to schedule one for after my half at the end of the month! Congrats on your race :)

8 Hillary May 8, 2012 at 8:07 am

My favorite post-race treat: pancakes and ice cream!! Super nutritious ; )

9 Lindsey May 8, 2012 at 8:34 am

Starbucks! Or if there isn’t one, any place with lattes :) I always get the largest size too :)

10 Carissa May 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

I have been loving okra too! I roast mine with salt and cooking spray. My post-race treat is refined, processed carbs! :)

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

that dinner looks AMAZING, I love okra!!! So far no post-race traditions, but I’ve only done two 10 milers and a half! I’ll be sure to come up with something good for Chicago!

12 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian May 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’ve never gotten a massage after a race, but I’ve always wanted to. My treat after a race is usually beer, or pancakes after a long run. yum!

13 Cait's Plate May 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

Peanut butter cup ice cream is SO good. If I had to choose between that and a massage I would legitimately have a hard time ;)

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love okra but can never find it fresh in Chicago!!

I usually go the massage route or I’ll get a pedicure. I definitely get runners toes when training :P

15 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty May 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

My post-race tradition is a burger. I finally got one from the Ale House yesterday!