Carb Loading

by Meghann on May 5, 2012

We really lucked out with our hotel in Cincinnati. Like, really lucked out. I’m pretty sure I’ve never stayed this close to a race start/finish before!

The Flying Pig 10k and 5k races were at 8am and 10am this morning (the half and full marathons are tomorrow). I got up and took a shower just before 8:00, and when I got out Kelly said “I think the 10k race just started – I heard them counting down 3-2-1.” That’s when I looked out the window and spotted this.

water stop.jpg

A water stop.

About 30 minutes later, we saw the first 10k runner zoom by on his way to the finish line. Then another… and another… and another…

Not only is our hotel in a great location, but they serve a pretty killer hot breakfast as well. Kelly and I decided to load our breakfast trays and take them outside to cheer on the runners.

I had a bowl of oatmeal, eggs with ham, and an orange.

Breakfast with the 10k-ers.

Go, runners, go!

It was nice to be able to sit outside and watch the runners pass us by. We cheered them on as loud as we could… between bites of oatmeal. Don’t worry folks, we’ll be in your shoes tomorrow. ;)

We cheered the 10k runners on, then cheered on the first half of the 5k runners before heading over the Purple People Bridge to Kentucky.

“It was a one-eyed, one-horned purple people eater.”

hehe

Kelly and I were at a loss at what to do today. Our hotel room is in a great location for the marathon and expo, but not great for much else. We’re kinda stuck in downtown Cincinnati without a car and wanted to save our legs from doing too much exploring by foot. We discovered a movie theater across the river last night and decided a movie was just what we needed to kill a few hours.

The_Five-Year_Engagement.jpg

The Five-Year Engagement was hilarious. I love me some Jason Segal and he once again shined as a comedic genius in this movie. You’ve also got to give respect to an actor who really has no problem with nudity. I’ve probably seen his butt more than my own… and now I have a sudden desire to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall again. ;)

Since Kelly and I are both engaged, we could really relate to some parts of the film, but I think they take it to the extremes with other. I did like the message they put behind it – if you wait to work out 100% of your relationship before you get married, then you’re never going to get married. Nobody is perfect, you just have to find the one you love and work it out as you go.

After the movie we grabbed pizza at Dewey’s.

We split the greek salad to start.

This was a great salad. We both enjoyed the great amount of toppings, as well as the whole roasted garlic cloves.

And we split the mushroom pizza.

I had three slices. The crust was light and buttery and sort of melts in your mouth. :)

We headed straight from lunch to the expo, where we had the pleasure of meeting up with the lovely Emily!!

Emily was actually the first one who turned me onto The Flying Pig Marathon years ago. I was following her blog when she was training for the 2009 marathon (just days before her wedding!) and I remember rooting her on as she rocked it with a 3:50 (!!) finish time! She’s run the race 3 times and had some great tips for what to expect on the course tomorrow. I also had the pleasure of finally meeting the men in her life ( her husband Casey and adorable 6 month old son Cullen) and came to the realization that she has to be the luckiest girl in the world to have such a beautiful amazing family. Casey is also running the full marathon in the morning (with a goal of 3:15!) and Emily ran the Indy Mini Marathon this morning. They are a running family machine! :)

We said good-bye to Emily and Casey and met our friends Mary and Brian back at the hotel for dinner. We headed to a little italian restaurant down the street and had the most amazing hot, fresh out-of-the-oven rolls to start. So. Good.

I reached my carb loading limit with the mediterranean pasta dish as my main course. I’m not that big of a pasta fan, but I did enjoy the sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts, and feta cheese in this dish. It was light and delicious.

Kelly and I may or may not have picked up a Snickers back at the hotel for dessert.

Think of it as an energy bar – almost the same thing, right? ;)

My legs are well rested, my belly is full of yummy carbs, and my gear is all laid out and ready to go.

I guess this means I’m really running a marathon in the morning. eeekkkk

I’ll see you at the Finish Swine!!!!

Psst… You can sign up to live stalk track Kelly and I HERE. ;)

1 The Many Thoughts of a Reader May 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Yum that salad and that pasta look amazing! Good luck tomorrow!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Recent Posts That Have Me Nodding My Head

2 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I was at the Indy Mini-Marathon this morning :). My sister ran the half marathon and my dad and I ran the 5K. It was exciting to be down there with everyone!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

3 RunEatRepeat May 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Good luck!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..10 Miles Before a Half

4 Army Amy* May 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

You are ready! You are going to kill it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Don’t Quit

5 Sana May 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm

:)! Good luck tomm!
Sana recently posted..Progress.

6 Victoria May 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Have a great race! I hope the hills are manageable and the course enjoyable!
Victoria recently posted..Dirty Girl Atlanta RECAP

7 Dominique May 5, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Good luck tomorrow!!! :)

8 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Have a GREAT race – I’m so excited to see how fast you go.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Bruno’s Chocolate Creations: Tropical-Inspired Chocolates

9 Reenie May 6, 2012 at 12:16 am

Good luck Meghann & Kelly. You 3 look cute in your pic ~ color coordinated =)

10 Chuck May 6, 2012 at 12:23 am

Good luck tomorrow! What Italian place did you go to? I loved living there because I could run across the bridge and then be like “oh yeah, I just ran to Kentucky, no big deal”

11 Annette @FitnessPerks May 6, 2012 at 12:57 am

WAHOO! GOod luck!!

That roll does look amazingly delicious. Yummy. Have fun tomorrow :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Celebrate The Happy

12 Stepf May 6, 2012 at 5:08 am

Cincy is not a city that requires a car. There are lots of great neighborhoods within walking distance, plus three art museums in that area (Taft, CAC, and Cincy Art Museum, which has an awesome Monet exhibit right now). Bummer that you were stuck at the Levee, which is the place for teen date night. :) I avoid that place like the plague. Over-the-Rhine is an awesome neighborhood that’s about a mile from where you’re staying. Did you get to check out anything aside from the Levee?
Enjoy the Pig! The run through Eden Park (holy hills!) is my favorite part of the course.

13 Meghann May 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm

We tried to explore a little on Friday, but ended up in a not-so-great area. After that we decided to just stick with what we knew. :) Next time I would love to check out over-the-rhine, I looked it up on yelp and saw a lot of great places worth checking out. Next time! ;)

14 mel May 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I live in N. KY and I would NOT recommend over the rhine! Cincy is a wonderful city, but there are also some bad areas right next to the good. There are some really good restaurants in downtown Cincy though! Wish I wasn’t out of town or I would have met you all!

15 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 6, 2012 at 5:53 am

Finish Swine – ha ha!!!! Good luck!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..What To Wear On Race Day

16 Kris @ www.Kris-Lawrence.com May 6, 2012 at 6:52 am

Had a great race!! Flying Pig is on my marathon bucket list can’t wait to rear the recap :)

17 Danielle @ Long May You Run May 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

Good luck! I fuel with Snickers.. around mile 20-22. They work wonders!
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Weight training and being a runner

18 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 6, 2012 at 11:05 am

I really love your lace top! Lovely pictures and best of luck on your race!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Taking a cooking break….

19 Elisabeth May 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I love that area of Cincinnati/Kentucky – especially Dewey’s pizza (the bbq chicken pizza is my favorite pizza anywhere)

20 MrsSwan May 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

FLYING purple people eater
I was like uhhhh have I been wrong all of these years?? I thought it was flying so I did a quick google and it is.

It kinda fits with the flying pig theme after all does it not? LOL

Good Luck!!
MrsSwan recently posted..4 years

21 Carissa May 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Sounds like such a fun and delicious Saturday! I’m hungry now!
Carissa recently posted..Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joe’s

22 Ashley May 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I hope your race went well. I’m sure it did as your are a running machine! Also just to let you know the link on your blog roll for beneath it all did not work for my laptop. Have a fabulous Sunday! :)

23 Meghann May 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Kelly disabled her blog last year. Thanks for the reminder, I should probably take it off of my Blog Roll. ;)

24 Emily N May 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Did you stay at the Phelps? Did you notice “Guilford” across the street? That is where my husband’s office gym is. His company (Western Southern) pretty much owns that entire block where that is!

What Italian place did you end up at? There is a place downtown that LOOKS like a hole that I have heard is amazing that I desperately want to try!
Emily N recently posted..Some GOAL SETTING

25 Meghann May 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yes! We stayed at the Phelps! I don’t remember the name of the restaurant but it was sandwiched between a sushi place and a martini bar off of 5th or 6th (I think?) :)