Pig Party

by Meghann on May 4, 2012

We made it! We’re here!

And – good news! – it wasn’t all just a dream, we’re actually registered to run this race. Eeek!!!

I know what you’re thinking. Those girls must be some bad ass super fast runners to have such low bib numbers. Right? You know it! Orrr….we just share a last name that happens to fall at the beginning of the alphabet and the numbers were given in alphabetical order. eh. What-ever works. We’ll just pretend we’re bad ass super fast runners come Sunday. It’s all in what you believe, right? ;)

I was pretty impressed with the Flying Pig Marathon Health and Fitness Expo today. For a local marathon, the expo was hoppin’ and full of great booths. Well done, Flying Pig. Well done.

I’m also a tiny obsessed with the “Flying Pig” theme. This isn’t the “Cincinnati Marathon,” this is the freakin’ Flying Pig Marathon and they let you know it. Flying pigs. Everywhere.

Obsessed. Adorbs.

IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3188.JPG

This year’s race has a “Pig Party” theme that ties in with the upcoming political season. The theme carried through with the signage, shirts, and bags with cute campaign slogans encouraging runners to vote “piglitically correct,” but my favorite part was the volunteer shirts that said “Secret Service Grunt.” How cute were they?!

I want one of those shirts! Makes me wish I would have signed up for a volunteer shift, totally would have been worth it for the shirt. ;)

After Kelly and I picked up our bibs (which was super quick thanks to awesome expo organization), we ran into this line. A random line we all assume was the t-shirt pick-up line. Nope. Any guesses?

It was the P&G free sample line.

IMG_3218.jpg IMG_3209.JPG

Folks were going crazy for the full bottles of shampoo, tooth brushes, and laundry detergent. With good reason, of course. Thank you P&G for being an awesome Flying Pig sponsor. :)

IMG_3214.JPG IMG_3216.JPG

We left the free sample line to study the marathon course for a bit. Gulp.

The elevation chart still scares the hell out of me (the doozy between mile 5 and 9 is the real kicker), but I’m just going to have to trust myself to hold back in the first half and let it all out in the end. Double gulp.

We hit the booths. Made some new friends. And I picked up my Social Media Team Media Credential Pass for race day.

IMG_3171.jpg

I’m told this will give me access to the VIP tent at the finish line. Sweeeeetttt.

After asking a bajillion and one people where t-shirt pick up was (and going through the entire expo and seeing sign after sign) we finally found our shirts at the very end.

IMG_3182.jpg IMG_3180.jpg

If I had one tip to give Flying Pig, it would be to hand the shirts out at the front. I know Kelly and I weren’t the only ones who rushed through the expo trying to figure out where the darn shirts were. I’m sure we would have taken our time (and spent more money!), it we weren’t so concerned with finding our shirts. ;)

My final stash.

I’ve got my bag, shirt, P&G Flying Pig duffel bag, samples, bib, Gu Bloks (purchased at the expo), and poster. Not bad. ;)

Before we hit the expo, Kelly and I hit Potbelly’s for lunch.

We tried to explore a bit of downtown, but got terribly lost and ended up eating at the first place we saw that served food fast. There are no Potbelly’s near us, so it really worked out in the end.

I had the chicken and cheddar with everything. The hot peppers gave the sandwich a very spicy kick. Yum.

IMG_2833.JPG IMG_2834.jpg

We split a bag of chips too.

We hit the expo, returned to the hotel to nap for 2 (glorious) hours, and then hit Graeters for some highly recommended ice cream.

I had the toffee chip and Kelly had the Buckeye Blitz. The ice cream was good, but we both agreed it was crazy how quickly it melted in our cones. I know it sounds like a weird thing to critique when it comes to ice cream, but we were inside in the AC and couldn’t keep up with how fast our cones were melting. It did give us a good laugh. :)

After our ice cream, we chatted over some beers.

IMG_3233.jpg

Then met our friends for dinner. Check out our view from Bar Louie across the river. Gorgeous!

I had the roasted veggie flatbread. I wouldn’t order it again, but it worked for dinner.

The view of the skyline is gorgeous at night.

(Photo taken approximately 2.5 minutes before it started raining.)

We called it an early night and plan to take it fairly easy tomorrow. We’re not 100% sure what there is to do in Cincinnati, but i’m sure we’ll find something to keep ourselves entertained. Any suggestions?

Good Night!

1 Sana May 4, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I can never keep up with a dripping ice cream cone!!
Sana recently posted..I Am So Hipster and Lemon Herb Salmon {RECIPE}

2 Rachel May 4, 2012 at 11:40 pm

At some point you have to get Skyline Chili! It’s really good! There’s a Skyline in Clearwater…it’s one of only a few in Florida but Skyline originated in Cincinnati!
Rachel recently posted..Some Thoughts Before Work

3 Christina May 5, 2012 at 1:01 am

No! Gold Star is the superior chili.

4 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife May 5, 2012 at 1:10 am

I like both! Gold star might be better for Coneys, and Skyline for chili+spaghetti. Skyline’s runnier.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Homemade Gnocchi

5 janene May 5, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’m a Skyline all the way! :) Also, there’s a GREAT sandwich place called Melt http://www.meltcincy.com/ – DELICIOUS! It may be a bit far from your hotel, but it’s fantastic! :)

My favorite things to do are the Museum Center and the Newport Aquarium, just across the river near Bar Louie.
janene recently posted..What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

6 janene May 5, 2012 at 7:11 am

Oh, and I forgot about LaRosa’a pizza!
janene recently posted..What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

7 Mary May 4, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Hi my name is Mary, I’m a Cincinnati native, I’m not sure what you all are looking to do tomorrow but one of my favorite things to do is explore the different neighborhoods. Clifton and Northside are my favorites (and they’re right down the street from each other), there’s a lot of cool stores to poke around in and great food too. In Northside there’s a great restaurant called Melt on Hamilton Ave that is so tasty and not too heavy so it won’t be bad the day before your race, there’s also an awesome record store on Hamilton called Shake It Records. Clifton has more funky shops, the main drag is near the intersection of Clifton and Ludlow. It’s also just down the road from the University of Cincinnati which has a pretty campus. I hope you enjoy Cincinnati and good luck in your race!

8 Kristen May 4, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Those flying pigs are so cute! And those chips sound so good right now mmm. Good luck!
Kristen recently posted..Stagecoach Wardrobe

9 Kat May 4, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Eden Park, Fountain Square, Krohn’s Conservatory, Newport Aquarium, Dewey’s Pizza, Arthur’s or Zips for burgers, Skyline for chili…have fun!

10 Christina May 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

I must say that I’m not a fan of Dewey’s. My favorite Cincinnati pizza is either Angilo’s or Grammas.

11 Kellie May 5, 2012 at 12:06 am

Wow, you really don’t know how to to just be gracious for something, do you? Holy crap.

12 Alex @ therunwithin May 5, 2012 at 12:18 am

I love the flying pig balloons, how cute! Good luck!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..#4 FUN

13 Elisabeth May 5, 2012 at 12:27 am

I live in northwestern Ohio & LOVE both Graeter’s and Potbelly’s! :) I personally suggest the Newport area for entertainment tomorrow.

14 Melissa May 5, 2012 at 12:51 am

Skyline Chili, Dewey’s Pizza, Yagoot (Kenwood Mall and Rookwood) its a yogourt shop. Go to Devou park and you get some really good pictures of the skyline. Have fun… good luck. I will be running the half on Sunday.

15 Christina May 5, 2012 at 1:03 am

Yagoot has the best frozen yogurt ever because their fro-yo actually tastes like yogurt. I second Melissa’s recommendation!

16 Christina May 5, 2012 at 1:06 am

I recommend checking out Findlay Market in the morning.

17 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife May 5, 2012 at 1:09 am

I worked at Graeter’s in high school. The sorbet melts really quickly due to the high sugar content. Must be similar for the ice cream. It lowers the melting point (darn those solutions from chemistry). I hope that you guys got some giant chips!

Tomorrow you could explore the museum center or downtown there’s fountain square and the freedom center. If you like BBQ ribs, check out Montgomery Inn (my vegetarian friend LOVES their chips). I’m so excited for you to be in my hometown. I definitely know exactly where you are with that Bar Louie! I’ll be there on Thursday for my friend’s wedding.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Homemade Gnocchi

18 Kat @ Balance & Spice May 5, 2012 at 3:45 am

Have an amazing time girl! I am proud of you already. ;-)
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Secret Diaries of a Call Girl

19 mary May 5, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thanks for coming out with us! We’ll try for deweys again tonight if you want! Their pizza looked soon good! I was definitely excited to try it!

20 Liz May 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

Are you going to address how you deleted comments, then deleted comments from your future MIL, and then closed comments on your last “I’m complaining my future-husband and his family” wedding post?

21 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 5, 2012 at 6:34 am

I just saw Mary’s comment … Dewey’s pizza is really yummy! My husband and I used to eat at the one in Dayton all the time! :) Good luck with the race!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Kale Chips, Protein Bars, and even more Frozen Yogurt.

22 Elizabeth May 5, 2012 at 7:34 am

Your in my home town!! Woo!! Flying Pig ROCKS!! The levy in Newport is really fun!! And If you go to Mt. Adams they have a really pretty conservatory at the top, really really pretty! Good luck tomorrow!!

23 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

Potbelly is so good!!! Glad you all enjoyed the expo – the flying pigs are too cute!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sleep During Finals?

24 Melissa May 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

Larosa’s is good. Dixie chili is pretty
Good also.

25 Julianna May 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hi Meghann,
I know you love coffee so I’d highly recommend Rohs Street Cafe. I managed the shop while I lived in Cincinnati for a year and it is still hands down my favorite coffee shop. Its super fresh (roasted every Monday) fair trade coffee with really talented baristas. Its on W. McMillan St. near the UC campus. Hope you get a chance to check it out! I’ll be running the half tomorrow (my first!). Good luck to you!

26 lynne @lgsmash May 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

I lived across the street from Rohs St Cafe in college! How funny! Small world :)
lynne @lgsmash recently posted..Food: Foods I’m Loving Right Now

27 Mary May 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

Definitely try for Findlay Market in the morning – it’s a local gem!

28 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

It always seems like expos put the packet pickup in the very back so you have to walk past every booth. It would be nice if they put them in the front so you could get your packet and then leisurely walk past the booths instead of being like a salmon trying to swim upstream just to get your bibs.

29 Anne May 5, 2012 at 9:37 am

A day before a race, I would relax! Walk by fountain square, maybe over to the new Christian ale house for a beer. do check out Findlay market. I love the Rookwood in mt Adams -gorgeous area and amazing food! Good luck!
Anne recently posted..Pass the Dutch-y

30 Ebernst May 5, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m not going to lie I was looking in the background of your photos hoping to see my sister at the Flying Pig Expo! She is running the half (her first) and I think I’m just as excited as she is! If I wasn’t racing triathlon on Sun I totally we would be running the flying pig with her!!! Good luck! :)

And I’m so jealous of your Graeters…best thing about Ohio.

31 Kelli @ rosyrunner May 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I love Graeters ice cream!!! My brother lived in Ohio for school and whenever I visited we overdosed on Graeters!!
Kelli @ rosyrunner recently posted..May Goals!

32 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Wow! Cincinnati really knows how to roll out the carpet for a marathon.

Hope you have a relaxing day in preparation for tomorrow! Good luck!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..What To Wear On Race Day

33 Autumn May 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Columbus half is finished! I wonder how many of the crazy ones will be heading down to do the full with you tomorrow. I’m sure there must be a few. It looks like they really know how to throw a party in Cincy! Best of luck tomorrow. You’ll destroy the Flying Pig!!

34 Annette @FitnessPerks May 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

That does look like a fun expo!! Have a GREAT time :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Celebrate The Happy

35 Tiffany May 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Both of my sisters are running the half tomorrow, we’ll be sure to cheer for you and Kelly if we see you!

36 Laura is Undeterrable May 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Last year I managed to get a “1″ bib. I guess I was excited to register for the race?

Good luck this weekend!
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Recovery Running

37 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I’ve only been to Cincinnati once, but I agree that it is an absolutely beautiful city at night — probably one of the most beautiful nighttime skylines I’ve seen. Good luck tomorrow!!!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Still Here!

38 Whitney May 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I have lived in Cincinnati for 6 years and I must reccommend Zips for a burger. Skyline is a must too Since that’s THE Cincinnati thing, but not bf the race. Make sure you have a bathroom handy after ( just in case – you’re welcome).

39 Whitney May 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Dewey’s is also delish. If you get a chance go to Aglemesis in Oakley square. It’s my fav vs. Graeters.