Garmin-less

by Meghann on May 3, 2012

I went on a Garmin-less run this morning. 6 miles (I think) at a casual pace.

This was my last run before Flying Pig and I didn’t want any pressure. I left the Garmin at home, hoping I would find a little peace in my run. No need to speed up, no need to slow down – I just ran what felt right. It was nice to not be constantly looking at my arm (though I did catch myself doing it every once in a while). Hopefully, the idea of leaving the Garmin at home is a tradition I can keep up with in the last runs before all of my upcoming races. I kinda liked it.

I drive a manual car and when ever I have to drive an automatic, I’ll catch myself reaching for the imaginary shifter with my right hand or the imaginary clutch with my left foot when ever I’m coming to a stop. It’s second nature for me to reach for those things in the moment, whether they’re there or not. The same is true when I’m not running with a Garmin, I’ll still grab to pause it when I’m coming to a stop even if it’s not there. It’s funny how some habits stick with us.

Any other manual car drivers out there? Holler!

I made a breakfast cookie for breakfast.

In the cookie mix:

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • splash almond milk
  • raisins
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon

I mixed everything together after my run and put it in the freezer while I did Wednesday’s Tone it Up 8 toning move challenge. This was my third time doing the moves and I think I have the routine down now. I still need to purchase a set of 8lb and 10lb dumbbells. Maybe I’ll move that to the top of my to-do list next week?

After my Tone It Up workout (maybe 20 mins?), I pulled the “cookie” out of the freezer and topped it with plain Chobani and fresh strawberries.

I probably left the “cookie” in the freezer longer than it needed to be (it was a bit on the frozen side), but it still worked. :)

I’m hitting the road to Orlando today! The cheapest flights my sister and I could find to Cincy were out of Orlando, which was fine by me – I’m always up for a good excuse to explore the town I still consider my second home. :)

Have a great Thursday everyone!

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable flight!! :)

2 Gretchen May 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

I did the same thing whenever I had to switch from manual to automatic, especially when I’d try to put my left foot down before starting the car. Unfortunately, I currently own an automatic car, but SOMEDAY I’ll drive standard again….!

3 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway May 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

mmm! Your breakfast looks delicious- I will have to try that out! I am running a race too this weekend, good luck!

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 3, 2012 at 10:32 am

Have a safe drive and flight! I think I’ll start going Garmin-less after my next half for awhile. It’s so much more enjoyable.

5 Cait's Plate May 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

I have my third round of 8 Easy Toning Moves today too :) It’s such a great quick and easy routine.

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

I love a good garmin-less run every once and a while! And I’ve never driven a manual car, but that’s something I’d really like to learn!

7 Elise May 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

I’m also a manual driver and know exactly what you’re referring to. I try to feel the clutch with my left foot and constantly want to move my right hand when in an automatic car. :) However, there is no clutch and no need to move the right hand to shift gears. hehe

8 Reenie May 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

I wish my bug were a manual….but they didn’t have any on the lot when I bought mine.

9 Dori May 3, 2012 at 11:00 am

The fact that you drive manual is really interesting! I want to hear more about that, how/why you started that way.

10 Meghann May 3, 2012 at 11:07 am

haha. When I turned 15 I didn’t have a choice! It was learn to drive a manual or not drive at all – so I did. Then when I turned 16 my parents bought me a manual car which I drove until after I started my first “real world” job after college. That’s when gas prices were over $4 a gallon and it was just cheaper/easier to buy another manual. The funny part of the story is that I taught Derek to drive manual in college. The first time he ever drove a manual was when he had to drive my car home because there was no way I could drive. We both figured that sober Derek driving a car he didn’t know how to drive was better than drunk Meghann. I had to teach him from the passenger seat, but we made it. :)

11 Hillary May 3, 2012 at 11:01 am

As much as I love my Garmin, I really do enjoy running without it every once in a while. Much less pressure, and much more focus on enjoying myself and going at my own pace!

12 Beth May 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

I am totally going to make that breakfast cookie! I’m always looking for good healthy breakfast ideas. I recently started using chia seeds and I really like them!

13 kristina May 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

I drive a standard and when I recently drove my mom’s automatic I felt like I was learning how to drive all over again! I almost shifted from drive into park, and when I had to stop abruptly at a red light I literally pounded my left foot into the floor! Ill stick with my standard ;)

14 kristina May 3, 2012 at 11:35 am

also, I feel as though where I grew up (BC, Canada), driving a standard was just as common as driving an automatic. I didnt learn until a few years ago and I was always the strange one that couldn’t drive a standard at age 16/17/18ish.

15 Eleonora May 3, 2012 at 11:42 am

Where I live (Italy) you must pass your driving test on a manual car! No automatic cars allowed. Needless to say, the vast majority of cars around here are manual!

16 Kathy May 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Ahhh, Orlando how I wish I was back there. And the cookie ….another good idea! ;-)

17 Sarah May 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

My husband and I have a manual truck and an automatic car and we switch back and forth (we don’t do “his” or “her” cars like most people). I only just learned to drive the truck last year. Learning to drive a manual at 27 is not fun! But now that I’ve got it, I find myself unnecessarily holding the gear shift in the automatic or depressing the brake to start, etc. I think it’s made me a better driver in both cars though!

18 Heather May 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

i just told my running buddy Kristine last week that I wanted to schedule at least two garmin-free runs before my next race. I want to remember what it feels like to run. [run period. just run. not worry about pace at all.]

Meghann, I must say – i have especially enjoyed reading along as you prepare for Flying Pig. I am truly excited for you, and this experience, and can’t wait to see you DO IT. You will DO IT, by the way. You can. and You WILL. [I've reread your self-doubt post three times this week, can you tell?] Can’t wait to hear/read all about it :) xo

19 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 3, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I manually peel people off of my arm on the train, does that count?

20 Annette @FitnessPerks May 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I don’t drive a manual…I LOVE my automatic :)

But that ‘cookie’ sounds and looks amazing! Yumm!

21 Becca May 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I am horrible with manual cars. In England I took lessons and hated it. Now I have an automatic :) breakfast looks good!

22 Hannah May 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I drive a manual too! Not by choice at first, but now I don’t think I’d switch back to an automatic. It certainly makes me feel a little bit tougher ;) Plus the boys at the oil change don’t try to sell me quite as much with my manual for some reason!

23 Angela May 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I drive a manual because what everyone learns in the UK and I don’t think I would have a clue where to start if you put me in an automatic!

24 Katy Widrick May 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Manual FTW, baby! I drive stick and I hope I always will.

25 Katy May 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Me! I drive a Wrangler and live in Queens! I get a lot of shocked looks from my friends when they get in my car, no one expects a girl to drive manual let alone a manual in NYC.

Good luck this weekend, enjoy the city and the girls weekend with your sister! Those are the best.

26 Eric May 3, 2012 at 7:20 pm

miss my manual….. saved a lot in gas, had more fun… i have come to rely to much on much gps… the other day it wouldnt locate satelites and i sat there waiting.. then I was like.. DUDE JUST GO RUN… so i did :)

27 Heather May 9, 2012 at 10:21 am

Made this “cookie” for my 8 year old and myself this morning and it was a big hit! And very filling. ;)