Test Run

by Meghann on May 1, 2012

Rule #1 of racing: Never try anything new on race day.

Number of times I’ve listened to that rule: 0

Number of times I’ve regretted not listening to that rule: Infinite

I went a little crazy the other week ordering a new race day outfit for Flying Pig. I’m a big believer that a big race deserves a new outfit, sorta like a big date requires a new dress – am I wrong? ;)

Of course, I knew I was taking a chance ordering the new outfit online two weeks before my marathon, but the damn photo sold me on it.

How cute is that outfit? Me want.

I found the Moving Comfort outfit on Amazon (top here, bottom here) and cashed in some rewards points (I <3 my Amazon credit card!) for a little race day splurge. It arrived yesterday and I was *this close* to just tossing it in my suitcase and crossing my fingers it would work on race day, when my better judgement took over and I decided a run around the block wouldn’t hurt.

IMAG1464.jpg

Pretty, right?

I wore the new outfit on my 5 mile run this morning and it passed the test. I loved how light and airy the momentum shorts are, they also have that great wide soft band that I’m obsessed with. It’s good to see Moving Comfort is on the wide waistband band wagon. There’s also a hidden pocket on the back that can hold an ipod nano. The shirt is bright, vibrant, and beautiful. It has a built-in sports bra that’s made for medium impact, which is perfect for my sad excuse for a B-cup. No additional sports bra was needed and the girls stayed put the entire time. #Winning

Here’s the outfit post-5 miles.

IMAG1465.jpg\

Sweaty. Sweaty. Sweaty.

I have an outfit, now I just need the race. 5 days to go!

Do you splurge on a new outfit before race day? Or do you stick with what is tried and true?

After my run I had a big bowl of cantaloupe with peanut butter, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, and walnuts for breakfast.

It’s hard to tell from the photo, but there is 1/2 a cantaloupe buried underneath those toppings. Soooo good. :)

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

I stick with what I’m used to! Although I’ve never run a marathon so we’ll see if I change my mind come October!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..May Goals

2 Sana May 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

What credit card do you use?
Sana recently posted..Blogger Quiz

3 Meghann May 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

I have the Amazon credit card. You earn rewards points that you can you directly on amazon.com with every purchase.

4 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

I bought a new shirt for my race last weekend. It was the same shirt, just a different color than another one that i already have, so I was a-ok to try it out. It is always more fun to be excited about your outfit!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..St. Jude Country Music Marathon Recap

5 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete May 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

If I buy that outfit, will I look like her when I run? :)
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Let Her Dream

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love Moving Comfort shorts! You’re gonna rock Flying Pig!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Podcasts for Running: Part II – your favorites!

7 Erin May 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love that outfit!! So bright and perfect for summer :)
Erin recently posted..Spinach Barley Salad

8 Lindsey May 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

Love the outfit! I am obsessed with the coral color right now, so bright and fun!
Lindsey recently posted..April Showers…

9 Meg May 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

I love the outfit, and you’re right, that photo is such a great advertisement. It makes me want to buy the top and shorts and hit the beach immediately!

Before the Iron Girl Clearwater half, I splurged on new outfit to celebrate a really fun and rewarding spring racing season. I’m not sure I’ll do it before EVERY race, but I’ll probably keep this up for big, key races or end-of-season events.

Good luck this weekend! I can’t wait to read your recap!
Meg recently posted..I Didn’t Set a Personal Best… And I’m Learning That’s Okay

10 Cait's Plate May 1, 2012 at 10:55 am

Oooh cantaloupe and peanut butter!? I’ve never done that but I bet that combo is amazing!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pool, Burgers & Lemonade

11 Coco May 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

Cute! Looks much better with some sweatiness! :)

12 Hillary May 1, 2012 at 11:03 am

I find that new running gear makes me feel better, but I try to avoid wearing new clothes on race day as much as possible. I made a huge mistake during my last half marathon and wore a new t-shirt. Obviously I ended that race with MAJOR chafe marks under my arms. OUCH! Lesson learned.
Hillary recently posted..Shake It Up

13 Diana May 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

Love it! I’m totally on the “new race new outfit” bandwagon. But I usually stick with something similar to what I’m used to wearing so it’s not totally new. Can’t wait to hear your Flying Pig recap. That race is definitely on my bucket list!
Diana recently posted..Pre Summer Pesto

14 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian May 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

Love new running outfits! Very cute!
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Monday Review

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 1, 2012 at 11:45 am

I usually don’t buy an outfit to run in for the race but I do set some money aside to splurge at the expo :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Pressed

16 Dori May 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

Cute outfit and very flattering on you!
Dori recently posted..Between my . . .

17 Marisa E May 1, 2012 at 11:52 am

I splurged on a new Lululemon outfit for my race on Sunday, the Broad Street Run 10-Miler in Philly. I’ve already tested out the skirt on a long run and I will wear the shirt on my short run tomorrow.

18 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane May 1, 2012 at 11:57 am

I agree! Races need new running outfits to mark the occasion :D It makes it more fun that way! Love the color too. It looks great.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..April Foodie PenPal

19 Alex @ therunwithin May 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Orange is my favorite color so boy am I jealous of that amazing get up. Glad it feels comfortable!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Trade-up Up Tuesdays

20 Faith @ For the Health of It May 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love the color combo of those shorts.

For more important runs, I try not to try anything new. It would be my luck that something crazy goes wrong!

21 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride May 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Ahh so glad you tried it on and gave it a test run! For my first triathlon I decided to wear my old (rather short) dance shorts under my wetsuit for a quick transition from water to bike. BIG MISTAKE. The shorts were great for actual dancing but when soaking wet and biking/running they road up and practically became a thong!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..April Goals Reviewed

22 Sneakers2sandals May 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I heart moving comfort! Their sports bras are da bomb diggity!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Spring Cleaning

23 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I think your rule applies to any major event! I can’t count the number of times I regretted cutting my hair RIGHT before an event haha.

You look wonderful in that outfit. I love the coral (so trendy)!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..May Flowers

24 Steph @321delish May 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Love that color on you! I bought new shorts for my half marathon, and it went just fine. I did think about buying a new Lulu skirt for the marathon, but I thought it would be best to use clothes that are tried and true for 26.2 miles.
Steph @321delish recently posted..Country Music Marathon Race Report

25 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I just bought a new shirt on Sunday to wear for my first marathon. I’m with you – big races need new outfits. I also got another special something to wear for it. I’m getting so excited. may 20 needs to get here!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..We’re Winners & Best Body Bootcamp Round 2

26 Emily N May 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I just decided that I am taking my outfit out for three miles this afternoon. (Good choice on the tank! Its HOT in Cincinnati now!) My problem is that tank tops always seem to ride up on me, and let’s be honest… I still have some work to do on my diet before my tummy is sports bra ready. So we’ll see how the test goes tonight!
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Week: Tuesday

27 Annette @FitnessPerks May 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Cute outfit!! I love moving comfort clothes/bras :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Chocolate Almond Protein Balls

28 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’m with you on the new race outfit! I just went nuts at Lululemon for my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. If you look good, you’ll do good is my motto!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Let the Headstand Pose Challenge Begin!

29 Carrie May 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

That color combo looks really good on you! Typically I stick with what I know on race day, but I can see where a big race would require a new outfit, just like your date analogy. :)
Carrie recently posted..The Move More in May Challenge

30 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm

That is such a cute outfit! I’m looking for a cute one for my half in a couple of weeks. Oh, and you look better in that than I probably would with my sad excuse of an A cup lol. But seriously…
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..My Trainer, The Sadist

31 Nikki May 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ha! I went wedding dress shopping recently, and when the bridal consultant asked about my “cup” size (that’s a joke in itself), I responded “A+”
Not surprisingly, they don’t offer many dresses with an A+ cup size!
P.S. Your new running outfit is hot!
Nikki recently posted..Sunday Recap

32 Debra May 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Good thinking! I ordered a new outfit today for my 1st Half. I too was going to throw it in my bag and hope for the best but I would hate to be uncomfortable for THAT long!

33 Xiomara @ parkesdale May 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Love the outfit! Do you know if they have triathlon clothing? That’s my next race and I’m trying to decide if I should buy a new outfit or use my old Zoot. Will have to check them out!
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..Backyard fruits and vegetables

34 Freya May 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Splurge away! I bought a new race outfit the day before my last marathon, and got a 1hr11 PB!! I think new clothes = good luck :)
Freya recently posted..Brighton Marathon – The Real Recap

35 erica May 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm

ooh! love the colors of the outfit!
erica recently posted..{the honeymoon}: ROMA pt.2

36 Jill May 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I ALWAYS splurge on new outfits for races. I like to think of Deion Sanders when he played in the pros and say “when you look good, you feel good, when you feel good, you play good, and when you play good, they pay good!”

Not that I get paid for running but it always makes me laugh :)
Jill recently posted..Egg Plant Party

37 RunInBoise May 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Sometimes I get a new outfit and sometimes I don’t. I usually think for a few days on what I am going to wear though. It is quite the process. :-) I still don’t have which skirt I am going to wear for my marathon on Saturday though – the weather isn’t making up it’s mind and I have not either.
RunInBoise recently posted..Brick Saturday

38 Liz @ Southern Charm May 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I splurged on a top and crops for my first half marathon. The second I tried on the top, I knew it wasn’t right for the race, so I ended up using a top I already had … but the crops … best decision ever!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..May Goals

39 Heather May 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

super cute I love the bright colors!
Heather recently posted..Disney Fantasy Part 4

40 Army Amy* May 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I really like the color! You’ll be easy to spot if you get separated from your peeps.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Dear Toby Keith,

41 Part Time House Wife May 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

lOVE the outfit! Very cute!
Part Time House Wife recently posted..Baked Low-Fat Crab Rangoon

42 Jules May 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

That outfir looks so pretty on you…after 5 miles too :) Love it!
Jules recently posted..Still here…just about

43 Fiona May 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I totally want that running outfit too! So cute. Love the brown and orange combination.
Fiona recently posted..Nashville Country Music Half Marathon: Humbled

44 maria @ mim May 2, 2012 at 2:50 am

Two things:

1. You look great in that outfit–I’m glad it worked out on your run! :)

2. I need to look into that Amazon card. I spend bank on Amazon, so rewards would be nice!
maria @ mim recently posted..A MOVE-ing Challenge

45 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty May 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh, I’m the same as you. In fact, I just finished up my shopping for Flying Pig yesterday. Ha!
Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty recently posted..Very Brave

46 Jessica May 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

Ooo me likey that outfit. You look ready to cook that flying pig. :)
Jessica recently posted..Thankful Thursday