Summertime Slaw

by Meghann on May 1, 2012

Hello, beautiful.

Remember that crusty, grainy muesli roll I had yesterday from the Publix bakery? I had its twin sister today, only I decided a little color was needed in her life.

Helllloooo color. :)

This was a ham, cheese, and slaw sandwich. Perfect for the summertime heat and perfect for sneaking some colorful veggies into my diet.

Lighter Summertime Slaw (serves 2)

Veggies:

• 1/2 red cabbage
  • 3 carrots
  • 1 cup fresh green beans

Dressing:

• 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • salt + pepper to taste

Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, shred the carrots and red cabbage (I used an old fashion cheese grater, but you can use a food processor attachment if you have it). Cut the green beans in bite sized pieces and add them to the carrots and red cabbage. Coat the veggies with the dressing and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to let the flavor soak in some.

Divide the slaw in two servings and serve as you wish. I enjoyed it as a flavorful topper to the crusty ham and white cheddar sandwich I had toasted under the broiler to let the cheese melt for a few minutes.

With a side of fresh apple slices.

Great lunch. I love how the addition of the slaw really kicked the traditional ham and cheese sandwich up a notch. :)

What’s your favorite sandwich topper? Along with slaw, I also love the addition of guacamole or potato salad to any sandwich jazz it up. :)

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

That sandwich looks insanely delicious!!!! All that bright color!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..May Goals

2 Aimee @ Happy Medium May 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I am so making this!

3 Lindsey May 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Mashed avocado with sea salt for sure!
Lindsey recently posted..April Showers…

4 Kristy @ KristyRuns May 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’m with Lindsey…avocado + salt is where it’s at! Just that on toast is delicious!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Chicago Advice

5 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yum! Rainbow sandwich :D

I love olive spread, like tapenade, I think it’s called?
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Podcasts for Running: Part II – your favorites!

6 Allison May 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That looks awesome!
Allison recently posted..Ol’ Trusty

7 Kristen May 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Yummm looks so good- can’t wait to make this. I love putting a little bit of tzatziki on my sandos or fresh pico de gallo mmmm
Kristen recently posted..#36 Meet a Rockstar

8 wymberley May 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Arg! That looks so tasty!! except the apple, i hate yellow apples.
wymberley recently posted..Unspoken Competition/ Throwdown

9 Annette @FitnessPerks May 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Oooh slaw is a yummy option! And you’re right–the color addition is beautiful.

I love spinach, sprouts, mustard, and bell peppers. SO delicious!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Chocolate Almond Protein Balls

10 Justine@LifeWithCheeseburgers May 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Do Doritos count as a sandwich topper? Otherwise I actually really like a bit of plain yogurt…
Justine@LifeWithCheeseburgers recently posted..Healthy Master Granola Recipe

11 Hillary May 1, 2012 at 6:24 pm

YUM.

Back in the day, I used to like putting pickles on my grilled cheese sandwiches and Frito’s in my tuna sandwiches. Sounds ridiculous, tastes awesome.
Hillary recently posted..Shake It Up

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’m a broccoli slaw fanatic so I was beyond thrilled when my 22 month old started chowing down on it at lunch. Yay!!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Let the Headstand Pose Challenge Begin!

13 Carrie May 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

All of those colors look fantastic!
Carrie recently posted..No Weigh In April: Wrap Up

14 Angela May 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I need to make this! If not, for the colors alone!! :)
Angela recently posted..May Cats and Dogs

15 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 2, 2012 at 6:45 am

Im usually not a slaw person because all of the mayo doesnt work for me on a diet but your mayo free version looks good!

Good luck at your race this weekend! I was kind of hoping you would be in Tampa. I was going to email you to see if you would take a yoga class with me since I have a couple of days in town to kill while my husband is working. Maybe next time!! :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Yoga Hell

16 Nanci May 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

Must. Make. This. :)
Nanci recently posted..Blog Love: Growin up Mo’