more ยป" />

Smoothie Thief

by Meghann on April 30, 2012

I spy a wannabe smoothie thief.

IMG_2948.jpg

Ha! Protected by the straw and lid. Meghann: 1, Maddie: 5,321 <- she wins a lot.

The smoothie was my pre-swim fuel this afternoon.

• ice
  • frozen cherries
  • chocolate whey protein (Whole Foods Brand)
  • spinach
  • chia seeds
  • Kashi Cinnamon Go Lean Crisp (on top)

IMG_2950.jpg

In typical green smoothie fashion, it looked awful, but tasted delicious. Seriously delicious. Can I have another?

IMG_2953.jpg

I had the smoothie on my way out the door to meet my new swim-mates for practice. I arrived at the pool at 6:00pm on the dot (the time we’re supposed to meet at), but that was still late for these hardcore triathletes. I walked up just as the majority of them were finishing their warm-ups. Oops.

I put my swim cap on and joined them in the water. As always, the swim was great. Our coach shortened my workouts a tad since I’m a bit on the slower side (ain’t no shame in being on the slower side), but I was still able to cover roughly 2000+ yards during our hour workout. We did some pulloy workouts with paddles (which killed my arms), then did some sprints with the kickboard (which killed my legs). I left feeling like jello. I love that feeling.

There was talk tonight about competing in some upcoming triathlons that definitely caught my attention. After I wrap up Flying Pig this weekend, triathlon season is sooo on. Will I be up got a spring tri the last weekend of May?! hmmm…. maybe. ;)

After my swim, I made a fajita inspired salad for dinner.

I cut some steak in strips and cooked it in a frying pan with onion, peppers, and a seasoning mix of chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.

The steak went on a bed of spinach, broccoli, tomato, and corn, then topped with salsa and cheese.

The salad was really good. It’s hard to go wrong with anything with a fajita theme though. ;)

I had a serving of ice cream for dessert.

The sweet tooth is now satisfied. ;)

Time to call it a day.

Good Night!

1 Sana April 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Do you like working out with other people? Or do you just like doing your own thing in the morning?

2 Meghann April 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I like a good mix of both. It’s nice to do my own thing, but it’s also nice to have company and to chat between sets with friends.

3 Caileigh April 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, why are you photographing your smoothie on the floor?

4 Meghann April 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Better lighting for photos :)

5 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I injured my back running awhile ago, and when I was recovering I swam a lot, since anything involving impact was a definite no-no. I used to hate swimming, but I’ve really fallen in love with it lately. Every time I’m in the pool I contemplate doing a triathlon, but alas, I don’t have a bike, and it’s pretty darn difficult to do a triathlon without a bike! Someday, though, I definitely want to do one…at least a sprint tri. Totally attainable.

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 1, 2012 at 1:35 am

That smoothie sounds so good, I can’t wait until its warm enough here!

7 Ari @ Ari's Menu May 1, 2012 at 2:03 am

I have those same bowls! Ikea? :)

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 1, 2012 at 6:26 am

I like the idea of adding the cereal to the top of the smoothie! Yum!

9 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 1, 2012 at 6:56 am

I LOVE a good southwestern salad. Add corn (and black beans) to anything and Im sold!

10 Kathleen May 1, 2012 at 6:56 am

Good morning Meghann!

I’ll be doing my second half-marathon this sunday and I would really like to complete a couple of 10k, half-marathons and maybe my first marathon in the upcoming summer season. I followed a SmartCoach’s plan (from RunnersWorld) to prepare for my race Sunday. I’ve planned to take maybe 2 days of full rest after it and to start slowly to be back to running.

I was wondering how do you build your post-marathon training plan? What about your long runs? Do you slow down your mileage for a couple of weeks? Do you have an example of post-race training you did before ?

Thanks :) Have a nice day!

11 Meghann May 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hi Kathleen, those are great questions! Jumping from training from one race to another can be tricky. You want to make sure you have enough rest before diving back in. I’ve done a couple of back-to-back marathons before and I usually take a full week of rest between training plans and start back the following weekend with a semi-long run to get the blood in my legs flowing and then build from there. You can see an example of a back-to-back plan here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/01/27/crazy-race-announcement/ and here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/10/19/my-palm-beach-training-plan/

12 Kathleen May 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thank you! Your advices are very helpful :)

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 1, 2012 at 7:32 am

That salad looks delicious! I am a huge Mexican food fan so that salad is right up my alley :)

14 Emily N May 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

Nice job with the swimming.

15 Courtney May 1, 2012 at 8:30 am

That salad looks so good! :)

16 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 1, 2012 at 8:53 am

Reading about your swim group makes me so excited to join one of my own! I definitely need some extra motivation to get myself to the pool a couple of times a week. Running is just sooo much easier!

17 Kathy May 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

I don’t know how any one can satisfy a sweet tooth with one scoop, one bite, one of any thing…I swear when my sweet tooth attacks its out of control…I want it all and will overly indulge…good thing the major attack only happens once or twice a month but still…

(and its not always “hormonally” related)

Anyway, I usually give in to it and try to do better the following days. And I agree green smoothies are surprisingly yummy!

18 Cait's Plate May 1, 2012 at 10:59 am

That ice cream looks amazing. Such a perfect way to end the night :)

19 Part Time House Wife May 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I’m all about feelin like Jello.. its so satisfying! I need to get myself into a pool and start taking the swimming workout serisously. My husband is an amazing swimmer but I get frustrated trying to breath and usually feel like I’m drowning or need to puke! lol You’re smoothie and Ice cream both made me want both!

20 Katy May 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Where do you buy your Chia seeds?? I have been looking in the super market and cant find them anywhere, not even in the “health food” aisle. I live in NY so no Publix here… though I love them when I visit Florida! Thanks!!

21 Heather M. January 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I REALLY want to try your smoothie! Can you tell me how much of each smoothie ingredient you used? Thanks so much!