Crusty. Grainy. Seedy. Delicious.

by Meghann on April 30, 2012

During my Saturday shopping spree at Publix I spotted something that caught my attention in the bakery – crusty muesli rolls.

It was one of those I-stupidly-went-shopping-hungry-and-am-throwing-everything-that-looks-good-in-my-basket type of trips, so the muesli rolls didn’t stand a chance. Two rolls were requested from Mr. Bakery Man and two rolls have been staring at me from their paper bag on the kitchen counter ever since.

The rolls were grainy and filled with seeds, oats, dried fruit, and a touch of honey. Yum. I was planning on doing fun, fancy sandwiches for lunch or dinner yesterday, but the Great American Pie Festival spoiled those plans (totally worth it). When I took the rolls out for lunch today, the fun, fancy sandwich idea had lost my interest and eggs seemed to enter my mind.

Two scrambled eggs, green onions, provolone cheese, fresh spinach, and a smear of strawberry rhubarb jam. Oh, man. Sandwiched in the center of the muesli roll – this sucker was good.

I even toasted the roll just a tad under the broiler to enhance its crusty crunch. Who needs boring bread? I’ve decided I need more grainy rolls in my life. :)

The leftover mashed sweet potato from Saturday’s dinner was the perfect complement to the sweet and savory egg sandwich.

Loved this lunch. So simple. So good. :)

Something to share…

Once upon a time I used to draw. Sorta. I mean… not very well, but I did.

309877_10101020704362123_5207154_71939818_1105569441_n.jpeg

(I told you not very well. What’s up with the disfigured leg?!)

It’s a skill I inherited from both sets of grandparents (and both of my parents!) who are all great artists (my dad doesn’t draw now, but I do have some sketches of his from high school that I’m never giving back). Of course, they are all much, much better than I am. Much.

Proof: Last week my grandma was inspired by a photo she saw on Facebook (Yes, my grandma is on Facebook – both of them are. They also read the blog. HI GRANDMAS!!!!) and sent us all this.

AndersonPets.jpg

It was labeled “Anderson Pets.” Swoon.

Poor Maddie looks so confused, but Sadie and Oliver are very happy. :)

In case you were curious, this is the photo she worked off of (minus Maddie, she used a different photo for her)

Pretty good, right?

Again.

AndersonPets.jpg

I’m going to frame it and hang it on my wall. Love it.

Do you have any hidden talents (or semi-talents) that you’ve inherited from your parents?

And speaking of my grandma….

She also posted this on Facebook.

551965_3562893922735_1584452712_2993757_923575103_n.jpeg

It’s her wedding dress! My great-grandmother made it for her in 1963.

552935_3562897042813_1584452712_2993762_106696278_n.jpeg

And you know what? It still fit.

389252_3562894682754_1584452712_2993758_2062817735_n.jpeg

To be honest, that was the first time I’ve ever seen my grandmother’s wedding dress (they’ve lost all their wedding photos) and it really took my breath away. It’s such a beautiful, simple dress – I just wish I would have known she still had it before I bought my own dress. I told her to set it aside for now, I want to try it on next time I’m in town. :)

1 Sana April 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Your grandmother looks awesome! And she is super talented!
Sana recently posted..Blogger Quiz

2 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Wow, that is an awesome pet drawing! And I think your drawing is great!

A lot of my family have artistic and musical genes. It was somehow lost on me!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..The 5k letdown

3 Grace @ Grace Dishes April 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm

What a fun post! I think it’s super sweet that you have a close relationship with your grandparents. I’m not close to the only one who is still alive.

The drawings are so realistic!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Back to the grind!

4 Coco April 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm

What a great piece of art to display! I used to draw a lot (I actually started as an art major in college) Sometimes I’ll go through a drawing phase- but it comes and goes pretty quickly. I love your grandma in her dress! So adorable :)
Coco recently posted..WO catch-up + Weekend Recap + DD

5 Cait's Plate April 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Your grandmother looks GOOD!! And that dress really is pretty!

She’s also SUPER talented! Those drawings are really good!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..2x+y= frustation

6 Sarah @ RunningChickago April 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Your drawing looks great! :) As does your lunch!
After seeing that yummy roll, it seems like going-shopping-when-you’re-starving can come in handy ;)
Sarah @ RunningChickago recently posted..Illinois Half-Marathon: Completed (again!)

7 Alex @ therunwithin April 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

What great drawings, the dogs are adorable and you really captured the facial expressions which is key! I used to draw a lot in high school and surely miss that time.
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..And it Hits

8 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer April 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

My mom wants me to wear her wedding dress! Sorry mom but NO! Her and my dad got married in the 80′s! The time of Shoulder Pads and Hops!

Your grandmothers dress is nice though! I bet that would make her so happy if you wore it!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Life is like a box of Chocolate…

9 Meghann April 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m not wearing my mom’s dress, but I did try it on for fun http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/04/27/wedding-something-old-my-mothers-veil/ and I plan to use her veil. Maybe you could compromise with that? ;)

10 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That is so awesome that your Grandma can still fit into her dress! Plus, it’s beautiful! My mom’s wedding dress looked like Holly Hobby. What do you expect from the early 70s!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..April Foodie Penpals Reveal

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I actually draw too! I took art classes outside of school for years growing up but stopped for a while. I took a drawing course in college and remembered how much I loved it! It’s such a great way to relax.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..CARA Lakefront 10 Miler Recap

12 Megan @ The I Do Diaries April 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Wow, those rolls sound and look absolutely delicious! I would have probably gone the sweet route and slathered them with nut butter and maybe even a touch of more honey. Must stop by my local Publix soon and see if I can score the same ones!
Megan @ The I Do Diaries recently posted..A Visit to Kentucky for Evan and Danielle’s Wedding!

13 Sonia the mexigarian April 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I get my green thumb from my grandmothers. My abuse lira could bring a withered in its death throws back to life just by talking to it. ;) I am no where near that talent but I can grow a wicked garden. I also get my artistic creative talent from my mom and aunt Charlie. I do a lot of animal portraits http://soniakop.blogspot.com
Sonia the mexigarian recently posted..Foodie Penpal

14 Beth April 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Oh my gosh, I love your grandma’s wedding dress. It’s so simple and elegant looking.

15 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm

What a sweet photo of your grandmother. Id give anything to have my Nana still with us, posting on facebook, and being fabulous. :) Totally unrelated- Those rolls look awesome!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..B.L.D.

16 BroccoliHut April 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Those rolls look amazing!! Sigh. I miss Publix.
I love the pet pics! A few Christmases ago, Seth gave each of the couples in my family (Mom + Dad, Sister 1 + spouse, Sister 2 +spouse) a drawing of their respective dogs. It was his first Christmas with my family, so he was very nervous about it, but of course everyone LOVED them. Now if only I could get him to draw one of Margot…
BroccoliHut recently posted..Signs of Summer

17 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 30, 2012 at 6:44 pm

So cute of your grandma! I think my grandmother’s dress is somewhere in my parent’s basement….would love to see it sometime.

18 Meghan April 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm

What a beautiful gift from your grandma! My sister painted a picture of my dog for me for Christmas last year. It is one of my favorite things I have ever received.
Meghan recently posted..Graston Dreams

19 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana April 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow, that egg sandwich looks amazing and the sweet potatoes too! Wish I could have had that for lunch :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Decadent Monday – Flour Bakery’s Banana Bread

20 kirsten April 30, 2012 at 8:00 pm

That is a beautiful dress!!

21 Sneakers2sandals April 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I love this post!! Your grandma is awesome! That drawing is like soooo frame worthy!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Sunday Smiles

22 Sarah @ Cake for Breakfast April 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Your grandmother’s wedding dress is amazing! I would wear that in a heartbeat – it’s so elegant! Thanks for sharing.
Sarah @ Cake for Breakfast recently posted..Random food comes together

23 Alyssa @ Don't Look Down May 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Wow that last picture is beautiful! Your grandma is gorgeous! That dress is also very timeless simple yet very elegant.
Alyssa @ Don’t Look Down recently posted..Bootcamp Recap Week 8 and working out while sick