more ยป" />

Stir Crazy

by Meghann on April 28, 2012

Fact: I can’t stand staying inside all day on a Saturday. It drives me BONKERS. Maybe it’s because I work from home (so I’m home all day during the week), but I literally go stir crazy being inside on a Saturday (especially when it’s gorgeous outside!).

Derek is the complete opposite. I came home from my run at 10:00 and he was still in bed. He got up when I got home, had breakfast, and then went back to lay in bed for another hour. He moved from there to the couch and stayed there the remainder of the day (he’s still there as I type this).

I always say I want weekends where I sit around and do nothing, but as soon as I sit down and attempt to enjoy doing nothing… I can’t. My mind starts going a million miles a minute and I pop up and have to do everything at once. I have to go outside, I have to clean the house, I have to run all the errands, I have to do this, I have to do that, and even if there’s nothing to do – I’ll find something I have to do. It’s not that I don’t want to relax… I just get bored of it.

Today I was in one of those must. get. outside. moods (or at least must get off the couch moods). I re-organized my closet, attempted to clean the house, did two loads of dishes, and had Derek attack the pile of dirty clothes in his closet. I went to Petco, Target, Publix, and found an hour to lay out by the pool.

My original plan was to spend more time by the pool, but it was a bad mix of it’s-too-hot-to-lay-out-in-the-chair and the-water’s-too-cold-to-casually-swim-in. Curse the in-between season!

A bonus is I got to test out my new Victoria Secret swimsuit that finally arrived after being on backorder for a month.

Love!

The pool was attempted after I blogged this morning and lunch was made after that.

I had a grilled cheese flatbread sandwich with pumpkin butter, spinach, and tempeh. (so good!)

With some pear slices on the side.

It was after lunch that boredom kicked in and I began to go a little crazy with cleaning and re-organizing. The good news is I was able to do some spring cleaning of the closet (I now have two big bags of clothes to donate and two more filled with trash) and moved some stuff out of the junk room (aka our office). Three hours of work and I feel like only baby steps were made… but it’s a start.

Around 4:00 I had a mini bag of kettle popcorn before heading out to run some errands.

One of my major stops was Publix, where I picked up some fresh ingredients for dinner.

The pork ribs were on sale and seemed just right for tonight’s meal. I roasted them in the oven at 350 for an hour and a half. First with a bbq seasoning rub, then a drizzle of bbq sauce during the last 10 minutes. The results were perfectly juicy, flavorful ribs.

Mashed sweet potatoes on the side.

And I spotted some swiss chard that looked very fresh. I sauteed the swiss chard with a little olive oil, onion, and sea salt and the green leafed veggie ended up being my favorite part of the meal.

After dinner Derek and I started a marathon of documentaries on Netflix (CNBC: Inside Anheiser-Busch, Being Elmo, and Target: Inside the Bullseye), our original plans to go out fell through and we compromised with doing something big tomorrow (can’t wait to share!) and staying in tonight.

My Saturday night ended with a bowl of vanilla ice cream and a defrosted 10-Grain Cookie.

What can I say? We’re cool kids.

Or maybe I just need to get better at motivating Derek’s butt off the couch? ;)

1 Annette @FitnessPerks April 28, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Sounds like a great day to me! Mine was actually quite similar. I love being outside and getting things done on Sats–and I did a bunch of cleaning. Success!!

2 Josephine April 29, 2012 at 2:18 am

It’s the same thing over here with my man! It is nice to adopt their mentality from time to time and just veg out. A nice break from the go go go.

3 Kristy @ KristyRuns April 29, 2012 at 6:05 am

Laying by the pool sounds so amazing! I need to find a good outdoor pool here in the ATL!

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

I can take a couple of hours of doing nothing on the weekends until I get insanely bored!

5 Pam April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am

My boyfriend is the same – drives me crazy sometimes.

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

After my half-marathon yesterday, my friend and I just wanted to lay by a pool for the rest of the day, because it was so gorgeous outside. But we assumed that the hotel didn’t have a pool. Well, we found out later that night that the hotel DID have an outdoor pool! We were so bummed haha. I haven’t had a pool day in ages!

7 Rachel April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

enjoy those weekends before you have kiddos! I miss them, but wouldn’t trade the “mom, I’m awaaaaaaaaaake!” for anything :)

8 Ash Bear April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am

It still seems like a great mix of a day!

9 Kristen @ the concrete runner April 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

How was the A-B documentary? I know you are more of a small brewery girl, but you should really come to STL and take a breadth tour at A-B. And then I’ll take you to the small local brewery for better beer. Seriously, when are you and Kelly going to come run a race with me?! ;)

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

My boyfriends very similar. I love to be out and about on the weekends but he’s content to watch t.v. or play videogames for hours!

11 Emily S April 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’ve got the same problem! If the sun is shining, I need to be in it. Walking, eating, drinking, window shopping – it doesn’t matter. Just get me out there.

12 Christine @ BookishlyB April 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm

My husband loves to just stay at home on the weekends, so I let him. We do our own thing most of Saturday and Sunday and hang out at night. We’re definitely not the type of couple that needs together 24:7, though.

Being Elmo is so great!

13 Cass April 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

How much ice cream do you typically eat in that dish? I’m curious how big it is, I love that you enjoy desserts and still prove to not gain weight from it, so I’m curious how much you typically eat in a serving to feel satisfied and not over do it?

Thanks!!!! =)

14 Meghann April 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

It’s usually 1/2 cup servings. I eat the ice cream in the small ice cream bowls to prevent myself from over doing it. I just need a little bit to keep me satisfied. :)