more ยป" />

Hot and Sweaty

by Meghann on April 28, 2012

See that smile?

I’m only smiling because I’m done. My last double digit run before the Flying Pig Marathon is in the bag and I’d like to say that it was all rainbows and sunshine, but it wasn’t it. It was hot, it was tough, and now it’s done.

IMG_2728.jpg

Woo hoo! :)

Last night Derek and I took it easy with a date night out thanks to a gift card to Bonefish he got for his birthday.

I’ve found that Bonefish is a hit or miss and last night was unfortunately a miss. It was our bad for trying to eat there on a Friday night, I’ll admit that. Even though we did call ahead to put our name in, we still ended up waiting a good 45 minutes for our table. Then, once we were seated, our food took just as long (or longer) to get to us. We left our house to eat around 6:30 and didn’t return home until close to 9:00.

IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG

We did enjoy the Bonefish bread basket while we waited.

IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2706.JPG

And I had the asparagus and salmon salad, which was tasty. I love how it’s very lightly dressed, I just wish there had been more than three pieces of asparagus (well, two after Derek stole one :-P).

When our bill arrived, Derek laughed and said we make a cheap date. Our total was just a little bit under our $25 gift card (we tipped in cash). He had a burger, I had a salad, and neither of us ordered any drinks. We weren’t even trying to be cheap, that’s just the way it worked out. ha!

After dinner we watched our latest Netflix arrival (The Sitter – it was funny, but not worth seeing again) and I had a bowl of strawberries and an attune bar for dessert.

This morning I was up just after 6:00 and had an english muffin with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, and raisins before heading out the door for my run.

After so many long runs from my front door, I decided to have a little fun and made the extra effort to drive across town for one of my favorite running routes in Tampa – Bayshore.

Screen shot 2012-04-28 at 10.24.11 AM.png

It was a BEAUTIFUL morning to run. Seriously, not a cloud in the sky! Unfortunately no clouds also meant the sun was out in full force and I was drowning in sweat before I was even halfway done. I tried to enjoy the scenery and take everything in, but I was just too tired. I had to bribe myself in the last few miles just to finish. “Just get through these miles and you can stop at Buddy Brew on the way home for an iced coffee.” Have you ever had a Buddy Brew iced coffee? At $4 a pop, it’s a ridiculously overpriced beverage, but seriously the best iced coffee you’ll ever drink (complete with a foamy top!).

I saw a dolphin in the last mile and had to stop and take it in. I like to think that spotting a dolphin on Bayshore is a sign of good luck. :)

Eventually I did finish the 11 miles (woo hoo!) and made good on my bribe.

Dear Buddy Brew, I love you. xoxo Meghann

I was even nice and brought one home to Derek. (#Tip You earn a free iced coffee with your first check-in on Yelp at Buddy Brew ;))

Thank goodness I thought ahead and had breakfast waiting for me at home. <– I was HUNGRY!

One jar of overnight oats (1/2 cup rolled oats, honey peanut butter, milk, greek yogurt, chia seeds, and raisins) with an apple on top.

Perfect post-run fuel.

And now I see the pool in my future. Amen to that!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

1 Nanci April 28, 2012 at 11:20 am

Bayshore is beautiful – I love it! Enjoy that iced coffee, you deserve it!

2 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Great last double digit run, Meghann! That iced coffee definitely looks worth the miles! :D
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Podcasts for Running: Part I โ€“ a call for suggestions!

3 Aimee @ Happy Medium April 28, 2012 at 11:35 am

Great job! That trail looks beautiful.

4 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 28, 2012 at 11:46 am

It always feels awesome to have that last long run under your belt! Nice work! Flying Pig is on my list of marathon must do’s.
Lauren @ Sassy Molassy recently posted..Explore Eugene on Marathon Weekend

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I hate restaurants that make you wait long. There is a pizza place by me that has THE BEST pizza, but you have to wait over 45 minutes for it to come out.

6 Grace @ Grace Dishes April 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Best of luck on your run! Great job with your practice run. The weather here is so so wonderful for outdoor running right now. I’m definitely taking advantage of it before it gets super humid. Then again I’ll be in Asia for close to two months this summer :)

It feels like everyone was eating out last night! I was trying to park on Bay Street in the International Plaza Mall and it was a nightmare!

Looks like you had a lovely meal!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Had one drink and I survived!

7 Kristy @ KristyRuns April 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Awesome run! That looks a lot like the Gasparilla Half Mary course! And coffee is always great motivation to get through a tough run. :)
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Busy April

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Great job on the run!! I just did the Nashville Rock and Roll half, and it was so hard! It was way more hills than I’m used to, and it got super hot. But it’s done! Yay! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Nashville or Bust!

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Ahh that makes me miss running in Charleston! Every once in a while I’d see a dolphin or two in the harbor!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..10 Miler Prepping!

10 Annette @FitnessPerks April 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Have fun at the pool!! Nice job on your run too :)

11 jv April 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I love that you don’t overlook dolphins and other “Florida stuff” despite being a Floridian — I’m from the Midwest and I always wonder if people tend to become blind to the beauty that’s around them (ie mountains in Colorado, dolphins in Florida, etc.) Enjoy the rest of your day!

12 Regina April 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Random question: what hair band do you wear on your runs that doesn’t slip? (The one that goes around like a headband–from what I can see).
Regina recently posted..18 weeks

13 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 28, 2012 at 7:21 pm

My favorite spot to run is along the water. I can just get lost looking at the ocean no matter if it’s 3 miles or 13.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Fast Friday Workout

14 Pilbara Pink April 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm

So loving your photos of Tampa – just last night my daughter and I booked our tickets from here in Australia to be there in February. Can’t wait :)

15 Alex @ therunwithin April 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Iced coffee and long run days are the best days!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Some Major Props

16 Carrie April 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Wow I can’t imagine seeing a dolphin on a run – so cool!
Carrie recently posted..Vega Sport Review โ€“ Part 2

17 wymberley April 28, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I tried to find you on yelp. You are hiding!
wymberley recently posted..A Guide To Wearing Stretchy Pants

18 Cait's Plate April 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Congrats on the run!! That iced coffee would be enough to make me finish too ;)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Clara Says

19 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana April 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Wow, great job on the 11 miler! I’ve been loving fresh strawberries for dessert too!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Friday Favorites โ€“ Snacks