Dairy-Free Cake Batter Milkshake

by Meghann on April 27, 2012

Look who has been embracing her inner photoshopper.

Cake Batter Milkshake.jpg

I knew all that Pinterest obsessing was going to rub off some day. ;)

Looks good though, right? And I’m not just talking about the photoshop skills (though I would like to give myself a nice pat on he back for that one) I’m talking about the Dairy-Free Cake Batter Milkshake. Can I get a “Holy Yum” over here?! ;)

I was recently contacted by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze and asked to develop a dairy-free recipe inspired by their line of almond milks. I do love me some good almond milk – challenge accepted. But what to make? It was during an intense hill interval treadmill workout that the idea for the cake batter milkshake popped in my mind. Am I the only one that starts to daydream about milkshakes on the treadmill? No?

The cake batter shake was also inspired by my long love for Cold Stone Creamery Cake Batter Milkshakes. I was OBSESSED with them back in the day. I would get one large milkshake (with extra sprinkles) every weekend ( this is why a within-walking -distance Cold Stone is never a good thing in college).

My goal was to recreate that fabulous milkshake with the Almond Breeze Almond Milk and a few other key ingredients I had on hand.

cake batter ice cream ingredients.jpg

Dairy-Free Cake Batter Milkshake

Serves 1

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Almond Breeze Almond Milk
  • 3/4 cup dairy-free vanilla ice cream
  • 2 tbsp yellow cake mix
  • lots of sprinkles

What is that? 4 ingredients? Easy!

Place the almond milk, dairy-free ice cream, and yellow cake mix in a cup.

Get out the trusty hand blender and give it a whirl.

Mix in as many sprinkles as desired with a spoon (the more sprinkles, the better ;) ). Serve with a straw.

If you love cake batter fresh from the bowl, then you will love this milkshake! Feel free to add as much or as little of almond milk as you’d like to get the desired consistency (I like mine on the thin side). You can also double or triple this recipe to feed a crowd if you choose. I enjoyed mine as a Friday post-lunch treat. :)

IMG_2759.jpg

What’s your favorite milkshake order? Mine will forever be cake batter, but I do love a good vanilla or peanut butter cup shake as well. ;)

My lunch was full of color today.

Pretty. :)

It was a layered mix of yesterday’s leftover sweet and sour red cabbage, steam-in-a-bag rice and veggies, some tempeh and peppers I sauteed and seasoned, and fresh green onions.

It was good too. It had a very Asian inspired taste and feel to it thanks to the rice and veggies, which was nice.

Psst..I updated the Wedding Page! Click here to read up on the story behind the veil I’m wearing on my wedding day.

Full disclosure: I was compensated by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze for the recipe development associated with this post.

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Yum! Great idea!!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 27, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Your lunch looks so good! And I can’t remember the last time I had a milkshake… probably in college at Chick Fil A! I loved their strawberry milkshake, it had pieces of strawberries in it! So good!

3 Charissa April 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I just made something very similar a few weeks ago! Soooo good!

4 Lindsey April 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Just plain vanilla for me. But I think I would love a peanut butter one. Banana is pretty darn good too!

5 Cait's Plate April 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

YUM! That looks incredible!

As far as milkshakes go I don’t know that I could choose a favorite! Peanut butter, mint chip, cookie dough…SO many good choices!

6 Michelle April 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Dairy Queen has a cake batter blizzard right now that I reeealllly want to try… The calories don’t count if you walk there, right? ;)

7 Kelly April 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Mmmmmm. I want!

8 LindsayH April 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Is the cake mix dairy-free? There are not many conventional store-bought mixes with no dairy. As far as I know, only a few of the Duncan Hines boxed mixes are dairy-free.

9 Meghann April 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I used Hodgson Mill’s Yellow Cake Mix. Granted, I picked my cake mixes up at Whole Foods, but all the ones I saw were Dairy Free. You make a good point.

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Yum! I love cake batter everything :) There’s an ice cream place in Chicago called iCream that makes ice cream in front of you using liquid nitrogen. It’s pretty cool and they have an amazing cake batter flavor! They’ll also turn your ice cream pretty colors like pink or yellow ;)

11 Krystina April 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Cake mix has dairy in it, unless you specifically bought a vegan mix.

12 Meghann April 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I used Hodgson Mill’s Yellow Cake Mix. Most of the cake mixes I saw at Whole Foods were dairy free, but (you’re right) I didn’t check any of the conventional cake mixes at the regular grocery store.

13 Krystina April 27, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Awesome! I would make a special note on the recipe saying to check cake mixes for powdered dairy because most conventional mixes have it.

14 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Oh boy, does that milkshake look amazing. I love chocolate malts, but I stopped ordering them because I could drink them in about a minute! I slow down a bit more with a cone or bowl. But I wouldn’t mind experimenting with this recipe….:)

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

All I can say is yes! Yes, yes, yes!

16 Lindsay April 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

If you really wanted to develop a recipe around almond milk, you could just have easily skipped the dairy free ice cream and subbed almond milk and thrown it all in an ice cream maker.

17 Debbie~ April 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Then that would be dairy free ice cream not a milkshake which is what Meghann was trying to create.

18 Lindsay April 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Not really. Anytime you stick something in an ice cream maker, it comes out pretty loose and only hardens once you get it out of the maker and freeze it. If you put the mixture in there for even less time, it would be the consistency of a milkshake.

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Hello love! Cake batter, milkshake. Yeah, I’m all over that!

20 BroccoliHut April 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I am a big fan of almond milk, but I don’t think I’ve ever made a shake with it–this looks fantastic!
Maddie looks like she wants some too :)

21 Elisabeth April 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

My favorite shakes are vanilla from about anywhere or peanut butter from the local ice cream place where I live :)

22 Hillary April 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’ve never had a cake batter milkshake, which is shameful now that I think about it!

23 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Im not really a milk shake person but I did have a banana fosters milkshake once at Burger 21 that blew my mind!

24 Tracy April 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Too bad a lot of people don’t own an ice cream maker, lindsay…

25 Lindsay April 28, 2012 at 9:22 am

And most people own immersion blenders? My only point was that the recipe’s not really focused on almond milk if you have to go out and get dairy free ice cream too.

26 Meghann April 28, 2012 at 10:16 am

You can use a regular blender with this too. :) I do not personally own an ice cream maker and I’m not a big fan of them (it’s a very time consuming task to make your own ice cream and most people don’t have that time). I was just looking for a quick, easy recipe that could be created with items already easily found in your pantry/freezer/fridge. Nothing out of the ordinary. :)

27 Lindsay April 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

True about the blender. I guess my point was also: when am I going to have dairy-free ice cream in my fridge? Much more likely to already have almond milk in the fridge. Also, for what it’s worth in case you’ve never used an ice cream maker, it takes about 20 minutes to make ice cream. The hardest part is actually assembling the ingredients. And if you’re looking for a looser consistency, it would take about half that time. It really couldn’t be easier (or cheaper). Of course, that’s not faster than using a blender, unless you take into account the time it takes to go to the store to buy the dairy-free ice cream.

28 Steph April 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I adore the pic with the little one in the background! ;) Cutie!

29 Maddy April 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I’m running to the kitchen to make this!!! Holy guac. That looks incredible. I better have sprinkles in my cupboard.

30 Ricole Runs April 28, 2012 at 12:44 am

That sounds AMAZING! Like seriously amazing. I want to try that!

31 Rachel April 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

That looks amazing! During The Christmas season is the only time I can get my favorite shake…mint shake from Chick-fil-a. Just another reason to love the season…like how I did that there?

32 Xiomara @ parkesdale April 28, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I might have to try that cake batter milkshake recipe for my girls. They love sprinkles!

33 Army Amy* April 28, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love me some almond milk. This looks like it’s worth a try!*

34 Brittany April 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I love almond milk!

I’m not a huge fan of cake batter though – more of a cookie dough girl. :) I worked at Cold Stone Creamery in college and everyone loved the cake batter flavor and the Birthday Cake Remix creation. I always got the Apple Pie A la Mode with Sinless Sweetcream. :)