I’m Not In

by Meghann on April 25, 2012

Sadness. :(

Screen shot 2012-04-25 at 9.33.44 PM.png

I guess third time’s a charm for 2013? Maybe? Fingers crossed?

NYC is one of the top marathons on my bucket list. I know that I WILL run this race. Someday.

My original plan was the register for the NYC marathon for 2012 whether I won the lottery or not (through a charity). However, with wedding planning, the fact that I’m already going to NYC in August for BlogHer, and the fact that I already registered to volunteer at the Florida Ironman for the same date – I’m starting to think twice about it. hmmm… I’ll have to mull this one over.

Did you enter the NYC lottery? Did you get in?

After hosting the LUNA Fiber giveaway yesterday, it was nice to have the chance to try one this afternoon for a snack. (The box of bars arrived on my doorstep yesterday)

I tried the Peanut Butter Strawberry bar and was impressed with how good it was. It tasted like a soft peanut butter cookie with just a hint of strawberry jam. I was afraid the strawberry filling would be overpowering, but it was just right and complemented the soft peanut butter cookie perfectly.

I was a fan and would definitely eat it again. Can’t wait to try the other flavors and see how they compare!

I almost ditched out on swim practice this afternoon – I even had a pre-written tweet ready to go with some lame excuse on wanting to try a yoga class instead. Then I read the tweet and realized how ridiculous I sounded. Was I really going to ditch out of my second group swim for something else after I already told them I would be there? How rude!

I deleted the tweet, put my swimsuit on, and headed out the door. Yoga would be there tomorrow – today, I swim.

As soon as I got there, I was so happy I made the effort to go. There were only three of us today and we took it easy with an emphasis on tweaking our strokes (lots of paddle work – ow) and fine tuning our turns. Unfortunately the coach finally realized I haven’t been flip turning (oops) and highly recommended I work on it for next week. I’ve only ever attempted flip turns in the water once (with Courtney coaching me) over a year ago. Flip turns scare the crap out of me (I can see myself accidentally smashing into the wall). Gulp. I know I need to learn them, and I just need to put my big girl panties on and go for it.

New goal: have flip turns mastered by the end of next week.

I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and picked up a quick dinner.

I called ahead and told Derek to pre-heat the oven so I could immediately put the pizza in the oven as soon as I got home.

10 minutes after walking in the door… pizza was ready. :)

Derek and I split the personal pizza and a container of Beef and Barley Stew that I also picked up from Whole Foods and reheated on the stovetop while the pizza baked.

My portion.

The spinach, walnut, blue cheese, and garlic pizza was good. Really good. Derek said it was weird (probably referring to the blue cheese on the pizza) and reminded him of something I would have thrown together (it should be noted he finished his whole half of the pizza). He’s probably right, but it’s good to know I’m not the only one out there who puts weird combinations together. Thank you, Whole Foods. ;)

The stew was delicious as well, but nothin’ special.

I had an Attune Mint Chocolate Bar for dessert.

And that’s all she wrote.

Time for bed.

Good Night!

1 Grace @ Grace Dishes April 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Sorry you didn’t make the marathon list this year! There’s always next year! I love NYC and go there at least 5 times a year because my sister lives there :)

The bars look delicious!

I was on the swim team in middle school and flip turns are ok once you get used to it. :) GOOD LUCK!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Yum-o!

2 Margo April 25, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I did not get into NYC either. But I consider myself lucky because I did get in through the lottery a few years ago and was able to get run it on my 26th birthday! So much fun and would love to do it again, but guess it’s not in the cards for this year.
Margo recently posted..My Running Story

3 Steph @ 321delish April 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I’m so glad you made it to practice! I was really sad I missed it:(

And, I would totally dig that pizza! I <3 blue cheese!!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Marathon Checklist

4 Sierra April 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Flip turns are nothing! Just YouTube bucket turn/ back to breast transition turn and you’ll understand the pain of swimmers!! :)

5 Cait's Plate April 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Oh boo – sorry you didn’t get in :( If you get rejected 3 times in a row you automatically get in though so you definitely WILL get in and you will rock it when you do! :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..The Art of Eating

6 M April 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

who is while foods?

Also, third time is THE charm.

7 K April 26, 2012 at 7:08 am

On that note, did you know that blue (or goat) cheese, walnut (or other nut), spinach & garlic is actually a pretty common combination? If you add chicken & dried fruit it’d be a salad at most chain restaurants. Now if you added raw green beans, PB2 ‘drizzle’ and hummus, that would make it weird.

8 Meghann April 26, 2012 at 7:33 am

I know the combination is common, Derek just meant it was weird on a pizza. :) I think the blue cheese threw him off.

9 Carrie April 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Good for you for getting your swim in! Flip turns scare me, too.
Carrie recently posted..My new favorite running song…

10 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I like the sounds of that PB & Strawberry Bar! Also, that pizza sounds amazing–what I would give to have a Whole Foods near me. I love different combos like that.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Don’t Fake It

11 Courtney April 25, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Flip turns are terrifying! They make me so disorientated. :/
Courtney recently posted..Color Block French Manicure Tutorial

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 26, 2012 at 5:08 am

Aw I’m sorry you didnt make it! But just imagine his many years to come you’ll have a chance! And just doing flip turns over and over will get you there! Luckily I learned those when I was little (haha no fear!) but it’s hard to gauge distance sometimes – occasionally I’d flip too far away from the wall and barely reach it with my toes!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Long Run Day!

13 Dina April 26, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m volunteering for the Florida Ironman too. I live in Haines City and having it take place in a park where I do a lot of runs is really exciting.
Dina recently posted..My First Week Back To Work

14 Ebernst April 26, 2012 at 7:32 am

Good luck with the flip turns! I would recommend starting to practice away from the wall and simply taking a few strokes and then flipping into the water. Once you get comfortable, move closer to the wall until you complete a full turn! Then practice! And adding in a butterfly kick before going into your turn is really helpful! (at least for me!)

Flip turns can be tricky (and harder…when i first get back in the pool after no swimming they make me so out of breath!), but they are really fun and fast! :)

15 Karen @ Run Shop Travel April 26, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’ve been rejected from the ING NYC Marathon lottery twice also…since I live in the area last year I did the New York Road Runners 9+1 program (run 9 of their races + volunteer at 1) to be guaranteed for 2012 entry. I signed up a couple weeks ago. Gulp. This will be my first marathon!

Good luck next year, I think they might be changing their rules but in the past if you got rejected from the lottery 3 times you would be guaranteed the 4th time. I am not sure if this no longer applies in 2013 or 2014, but I know they had to change this rule because demand is so high!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Rambling

16 Erica April 26, 2012 at 7:47 am

I’m not in either :( I was disappointed, but I also know that when it’s meant to be-it will happen. I’ll just keep giving them my $11 (right?) every year in the hopes that I WILL get to run NYC one day.
Erica recently posted..Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2012

17 Allison April 26, 2012 at 8:07 am

I actually won a spot in the NYC marathon! It was my second time to enter. Hopefully next year will be your year!

18 Ada April 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

Aww that’s a bummer. This will be my third time doing the NYC Marathon and it’s such a great race. Hopefully 2013 will be your year!

19 Emily N April 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

That pizza looks pretty yummy. I am having dinner with some girlfriends very close to WF tonight… Maybe pick it up for dinner tomorrow?
Emily N recently posted..Another 6 Miles

20 Meister, Running While Smiling April 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

Next year! (I’m telling myself “next year” too, so maybe I’ll see ya on the bridge…)

21 Beth @ 990 Square April 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

I didn’t get in either :-( It would have been my first marathon, so I’m pretty bummed. I thought about going the charity route, but the fundraising is really high (at least $3,000 seems like a lot to me!) especially because I can’t fundraise at work. So I think I’ll do Marine Corps instead because I can fundraise there with a minimum commitment of $500.

The thing that’s discouraging about NYCM is I read something yesterday that says they expect the lottery to be phased out COMPLETELY within the next 5 years because they have so many guaranteed entrants. For those of us that have this on our life list, that’s a tough one.
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 4.25.2012

22 sally kate April 26, 2012 at 9:36 am

aww beth that’s a let down- but there are sooo many great well organized marathons around the country- if you don’t have the time or finances to commit to fundraising, you don’t have to do that! Check out the rock n roll races- they are awesome and great for first time racers- full of energy!!

23 sally kate April 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

Is it weird it makes me feel better than you don’t do flip turns either and you rocked a half ironman???

24 Diana April 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

Boo! I didn’t get in either. My family is in NY so running this is definitely on my bucket list sometime. Oh well, there are other marathons and NY will happen one of these years!

25 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Sorry to hear you didn’t get into the race! Third time is definitely the charm!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Strong is the New Beautiful

26 Lizzie April 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

YUM mint chocolate! I also did not get into NYCM =( Next year!!!!
Lizzie recently posted..It’s Back!

27 Ct cupcake April 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Hmm im going to see if my local whole foods has that pizza! I did get it to NYC!

28 Ari @ Ari's Menu April 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I skipped the lottery and signed up to fundraise with Chances for Children. I’m ridiculously excited, especially because it will be my first full! You could definitely make the fundraising happen, but it might be a lot on top of planning a wedding.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..White Chocolate Cake Batter Cups

29 Stacey Daly April 28, 2012 at 1:49 am

Is there a Team in Training or some kind of charitable organization you can raise money for to run NYC? I am going to train with and raise money for Chances for Children AZ to run it. I am still in shock and it is still sinking in that I am running a full, let alone NYC! You should check into it :-)
Stacey Daly recently posted..Pat’s Run 2012 Recap