Copycat

by Meghann on April 24, 2012

Once again, Pinterest delivered on an amazing find for dinner this evening…

Chick-fil-A Bites with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce by Kristin of Iowa Girl Eats

I followed the recipe for the bites and the honey mustard dipping sauce to a T. And you know what? Kristin is a genius!

Her secret to copycat Chick-Fil-A bites? Pickle juice! Who would have thought? Of course, as soon as I read that ingredient it made perfect sense. They do kinda have a pickle-y aftertaste that just works.

If you love Chick-Fil-A I would highly suggest checking this recipe out. Trust me, it’s a winner. :)

I didn’t have waffle fries on hand, but I did have sweet potato fries. They did the job.

And a side of veggies to get my veggie quota in for the plate.

Backing up to earlier in the day… I snacked on some peanut butter crackers and almonds while working at Starbucks this afternoon

And got some quality time in with the birthday girl as we took an extra long walk around a local park together.

575112_10101816556188683_5207154_76013397_814970625_n.jpeg

She also got chicken on her dinner bowl as a special birthday treat. I would have loved to have made her a birthday cake, but Maddie isn’t a fan of doggie cakes or specialty cookies. She isn’t really a fan of milk bones or most things cookie-like, really. She prefers meat. Or yogurt. Or cheese. That’s it.

For dessert I had two Tag-Along cookies and two strawberries.

Guess who finished Mad Men on Netflix this evening?!? That’s right, I watched all 4 seasons of Mad Men in less than a month. That’s 52 episodes. Done. I’m hoping to find the first episodes of season 5 online so I’ll be totally caught up and can watch the new episodes as they come. I’m an addict. :)

1 Sana April 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I have never had Chick-a-fila, (I eat halal meat) so I would love to make that and see what the hype is all about :)

2 Ellie April 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I have also been watching Mad Men! However, I am not sure if I like the show or just the era… the costumes, the hair, the “way of life” it all kind of draws me in. I am about to start season 2
Ellie recently posted..Good Life

3 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 25, 2012 at 12:21 am

Sounds like me–I watched the first four seasons of Mad Men all in under a month this winter. It’s quite an addictive show! Though not quite as addictive as Girl Scout cookies…
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..A Very Veggie-Riffic Evening

4 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 25, 2012 at 6:25 am

My fiance and I had a similar marathon watching spree of Dexter. We watched the first four season VERY quick. But then.. we had to wait almost a year for the next season to come out on DVD. In the beginning it was torture to wait. We felt like we had something missing in our lives because we no longer had our nightly episode or two of Dexter (or the weekend marathons..)!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..This or That – Food Edition

5 Hillary April 25, 2012 at 7:12 am

Haha my boyfriend and I did the same thing with the first four seasons of Mad Men! We were watching three a night at one point. You should be able to find all of the season 5 episodes On Demand (or at least the most recent 3-4) and you WILL NOT be disappointed! I love this season so far!
Hillary recently posted..Shake It Up

6 Sara @my less serious life April 25, 2012 at 7:13 am

ah! i’ve been eyeing those chick fil a nuggets by iowa girl eats for months! glad to know they are worth it! yum!

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 25, 2012 at 7:59 am

I love Chick-fil-a! I remember when Kristen posted the recipe. I definitely need to try making it! It looks so yummy! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Honeymoon Dresses & Rose Petals…

8 Beka April 25, 2012 at 8:06 am

I was a chicfila addict! I will definitely have to remake these one day. I think I read that exact recipe too.

9 Sarah April 25, 2012 at 8:24 am

So jealous you finished Mad Men! I’m on Season 3 and it’s taken me 1.5 months to get there! Things are getting juicy though :)
Sarah recently posted..Thankful Things Monday?

10 Lee April 25, 2012 at 8:24 am

Someone was telling me recently that Chick Fil-A coats all their chicken in pickle juice.
Lee recently posted..Leaving the Annoying Day Behind

11 Arie April 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

Mad Man is addicting! I did something similar but now cant find it online, 10 pm is to to late for me to catch it when I need to be up by 5. Let us know if you do find it online.
Happy belated birthday maddie!

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Awww I’m glad Maddie had a good birthday!

We try to give my cat meat on special occasions but he doesn’t really like anything except for cornish hen. Such a princess :P
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Capstone

13 Brittany April 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

I used to love Chic-Fil-A when I was in middle / high school. <– So much so I wanted to work there! haha

If I still ate chicken I would totally try that recipe – it looks tasty.
Brittany recently posted..Clean Eating Shrimp Salad

14 Whit April 25, 2012 at 9:24 am

if you have cable you can just watch them on demand. i’m obsessed, but can’t find mad men online anywhere, so i made the effort to investigate, and yes all of season 5 is available on demand.

15 Meghann April 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

I could only find episodes 3-5 On Demand :) I’m thinking 1+2 have to have online, then i’ll watch the On Demand episodes :)

16 Cait's Plate April 25, 2012 at 10:45 am

That dinner just looks so perfect.

Also – that’s exactly how I watched Mad Men – it’s just so good it sucks you in! I’m pretty sure the new season is on demand because I think that’s how my sister watches it :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Cinn-Ful Stack

17 Alex @ therunwithin April 25, 2012 at 11:56 am

Yum!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..What the funk?

18 Julie April 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Ahhhh I LOVE Mad Men! So good!

19 Emily N April 25, 2012 at 2:00 pm

And you loved Mad Men? Is that what you’re saying. Omg. I REALLY love it!

It was Teek’s birthday 2 weeks ago (she turned 2!) But she did not get a special bday treat, because she hopped onto the dining room table and helped herself to a LOT of m&ms. No special treats for a while! ;-)
Emily N recently posted..Another 6 Miles

20 Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats April 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Wohoo, glad you enjoyed the Chicken Bites! I agree – pickle juice sounds crazy, but you’re right – it totally works! ;)
Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats recently posted..Copycat DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies

21 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana April 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Love Kristin’s recipes!! Looks great, especially with the sweet potato fries :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Grilled Hoisin Glazed Pork Tenderloin