Wedding: Waiting to Honeymoon

by Meghann on April 23, 2012

This morning I wrote a post on the possibility of registering for the Walt Disney World Marathon in January.

Screen shot 2012-04-23 at 10.01.05 AM.png

The marathon is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary this year and has a whole bunch of special surprises lined up for the runners in its honor. BUT there’s a small problem – it’s a week after my wedding.

Am I crazy for considering it? Possibly, but runners are crazy, right?

Anyways, that’s not the point of this post. The point of this post isn’t the fact that I’m considering the marathon the week after my wedding, it’s the comments I received on that post asking “What about the honeymoon?” I thought that was an excellent question that would be worth discussing on the wedding page. :)

As of right now, Derek and I have no plans to immediately leave for our honeymoon following our wedding. The plan is to take a week (or two) and take a bit of a breather after the wedding – you know… return to work, settle into married life, let the wedding stuff sink in, etc. etc. – then take off for our honeymoon. We’ve had several friends and family members recommend this approach to us and we both like it.

We originally wanted to leave the weekend after our honeymoon (the same weekend as the Disney marathon), but it’s also Martin Luther King weekend (aka a holiday weekend) which makes traveling just a little more $$. To save some money on tickets and resort fees, we’re considering flying out that Tuesday and doing a mid-week to mid-week honeymoon or just holding off until the following weekend. We’re still working the details out.

So that’s our plan – hold off a week or to after the wedding, then enjoy our honeymoon once the wedding dust has settled. It might not exactly be the traditional approach, but it’s the approach we both agree on. :)

Did you leave for your honeymoon immediately after your wedding or did you wait a while?

1 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Whatever y’all decide or do, you’ll love it! I say run the marathon!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Body Revolution Phase 1 Results

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups April 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

We’re getting married this December and decided to keep our honeymoon more low-key since it’s around the holidays and we wanted to save money. We’re going to a nearby resort that’s driveable. We’re leaving on Monday (friends have told me they like having a day or two to spend with family before heading off to the honeymoon), and it will be a quick trip–until Thursday. We want to save up for a bigger trip the next year. Good luck with whatever you decide! For us, it came down to: we’ll be just be so happy to be married that the honeymoon is just a bonus and the first of many great memories.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..The windy city

3 Lindsey April 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

A day after we went on a 3 day get away about 4 hours from home just to relax, nothing that was expensive though. Since we were married in September, right after our summer we decided to wait till the middle of winter when we needed a getaway and went on our official honeymoon in January.
Lindsey recently posted..Earth Day!

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

We waited and it was definitely a good idea for us – we were married 11/21/09 – the weekend before Thanksgiving – since it was a holiday period, lots of our family and friends had traveled to see us in Florida so it didn’t make any sense for us to head off while they were still around!

We took some time off post-wedding (I ended up getting 3 days off) to spend with family, but then took our actual Honeymoon (Disney cruise!) about 3 weeks later.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Humbled (and happy).

5 Lindsay April 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm

We went on our honeymoon 3 months after our wedding and i wouldn’t have had it any other way. It was great not to just rush off after the wedding and we were able to enjoy our guests and our time as newly weds. I would however have gone away for a night or 2 nearby post wedding.
Lindsay recently posted..Monday Meal Plan: 4/23/12

6 Claire April 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm

We got married in September and went on our Honeymoon in December, and it was THE BEST IDEA EVER. We had plenty of time to get into the swing of things and enjoy being newlyweds at home. Plus, by that point, we were very ready for a vacation and enjoyed it much more!
Claire recently posted..Hope

7 Heather April 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm

We left for our honeymoon a couple days after our wedding. We had enough time to fly home from the wedding (we got married in my hometown) do laundry and leave for the honeymoon. It was nice to get away and relax and enjoy being married and spending time together before coming back to the reality of work and day-to-day life. It extended the excitement of the whole thing. We did a week vacation that started mid-week and it was nice.

Whatever you do, make sure you book it early. I know too many people who were going to wait a couple months to take their honeymoon and never did because they hadn’t made plans before the wedding and life got in the way.
Heather recently posted..Sunday, Lazy, Sunday

8 Lauren April 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We waited a little less than a month but it had more to do with my husband’s work schedule and the fact that we had a long weedding weekend that seemed almost honeymoonish. I loved waiting though because it spread out the festivities and we didnt feel rushed. And I think the Marathon the week aafter sounds super fun. I’d milk that opportunity too and run in a white running skirt and veil ;)
Lauren recently posted..Five for Friday

9 dana April 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm

My husband and I were married in September and waited until November for our honeymoon. He was not able to take off from work in the months of Sept and Oct, so we pretty much had to wait. I liked waiting!

10 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I went on my honeymoon right after my wedding. And I’m glad I did. People that I know that waited either didn’t go on a honeymoon at all, or didn’t like that they got married and felt like they went “right back to life” afterwards. I mean, nothing changes in your relationship after you get married. You’re already committed now. You go back to schedules and walking dogs and doing dishes. That’s no fun after one of the most memorable days of your life. You want it to last! So I say, go on a honeymoon right away unless you have a super awesome reason not to. (like cheaper flights a couple weeks later or…a marathon. hee)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..A Week of Workouts

11 Krista April 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

We left for our honeymoon almost a week after the wedding (mostly this had to do with when our cruise was taking off). It was nice to have a few days to just get everything together after the wedding & say good bye to family. However I wouldn’t wait too long after the wedding because you still want that “wedding high” when you go on your honeymoon, it should feel special & new, because it is!

12 Jody April 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

We went two days after our wedding and it was definitely the way to go for us! I just couldn’t imagine having to go back to work, laundry, bills, errands, etc after living through our awesome wedding weekend! We recapped the wedding on our 12 hour trip to Hawaii and then soaked up a day just laying on the beach before moving on to more adventerous activities. It was great to have all of that time off consecutively so it didn’t just feel like another vacation.

13 Heather April 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm

We left about 5 days after our wedding and it was a good decision for us. We got married on Dec 28th and we left on the 1st of January. It had to do with flights and hotel costs on New Years Eve. We were able to spend some additional time with family who was in town for the week and then got to spend our honeymoon away. Whatever you do it will be special.

14 MissPinkKate April 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

We got married on a Saturday and left for our honeymoon on the following Friday- I highly recommend it! It gave us time to hang out with the family members that came to town, relax, write all our thank-you notes, organize the apartment a bit, and then go!

15 Chelsea April 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

We’re going a few days later. We’re getting married on Saturday, coming home (we’re getting married three hours away) on Sunday or even possibly Monday, and then leaving for our honeymoon on Tuesday. It’s really hard with my job to take time off the time of year we’re getting married (I didn’t have this job when we set the date), so it was easier to do it all in one batch if do it at all. The other option was to take it several months later, in the summer of 2013 (we’re getting married this October).

16 Sarah April 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

We got married on a Friday and then left for the Cook Islands on Saturday. It was pretty crazy getting out the door. My in-laws came to pick us up for the airport and also dropped off all our gifts from the wedding plus all the leftover food and cake. They didn’t properly wrap any of the food for the freezer and I had all of 30 seconds to try and do it before we left. End result was a bunch of the cake got freezer burned :( Not the end of the world but stressful and disappointing. I think leaving a couple of weeks later, when you can get all your ducks in a row sounds like a really great idea.

17 Wendy April 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Word to the wise – make sure you actually PLAN a honeymoon. We were going to wait to take ours (I was in grad school when we got married) but never ended up going. We were in the process of planning a trip to Hawaii when we found out I was pregnant with our first child.

18 Kath April 23, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Well I’m obviously very biased based on what we did….but we left the next morning – at 9am and I am SO GLAD we did. I was really, really sad when our wedding was over and got a bit of the blues. Extending the fun into that week of honeymooning helped me draw out the fun a bit longer. When I got home I was still sad it was over, but I had had the best week of my life to distract me and enjoyed our first week as husband and wife. I really could not imagine waiting (but realize people sometimes don’t have a choice). I think it would have just felt like any old trip if we had waited, and doing it right after really extended the magic of the day, especially because it was on our honeymoon when I said “my husband” for the first time. It was just a really, really special week.

Bonus: We got to eat leftover groom’s cake every night on the trip!

19 Hilary April 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm

We’re planning on going 5 months after we get married. That way we don’t feel rushed to get back to work since we’re taking off the week before the wedding. And we have time to save more money! :)

20 Lili April 23, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I got married a month ago. I had a three week gap between finishing grad school and starting work. We got married one week after school ended (I’d never recommend that), and left early on Monday for Mexico. That gave me a full week to get my life in order before work started. It had the added bonus that I didn’t have to use any vacation days from work.

21 BroccoliHut April 23, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Seth and I were thinking of doing the same thing! I’ll be a dietetic intern (i.e., training to be a RD) this year, and I don’t think my preceptors are going to take too kindly to my just leaving for a week. Since we’re getting married November 3, we’re thinking that we’ll wait until Thanksgiving week to take off, since I’ll have that whole week off from hospital duty. It will be a very special Thanksgiving, indeed!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Pantry & Fridge Clean-Up

22 Mara@ What's For Dinner? April 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

We waited a month before we set out on our Jamaican honeymoon, and I think it was the best thing we did! We were both so tired, worn out, and still entertaining family right after the wedding, so we waited until my winter break to go away. While the honeymoon itself had some bumps in the road (giant snowstorm in our layover city resulting in a 2 day delay, road trip back to chicago, and an extended vacay) it was great to just chill.
Mara@ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..Brussels Sprouts Afelia

23 Army Amy* April 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I just commented on your post about the race. I guess I didn’t realize that the race is after your wedding. Now I really, really think you should run it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..One Year Ago

24 Laura is Undeterrable April 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

We left immediately because we had to follow the military’s schedule.

I didn’t comment on your post about the race, but I’ll add my thoughts here. My biggest question is will the marathon stress you out? I wasn’t a bridezilla but I was stressed with the last minute coordination and just plain nervous about the whole shebang. If adding one more thing to your plate, even a fun race will add to your stress, I vote don’t do it. Fun stress is still stress. Maybe sign up but make a deal with yourself that you will DNS if it all feels like too much?
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

25 Laura is Undeterrable April 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I guess I should clarify… we got married on Saturday, had family time Sunday, then flew out Monday AM. So not immediately, but we didn’t have a long break.
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Monday Morning Motivation

26 Lauren April 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

We waited to go on ours and it was a great decision. Sure it sucks going back to work for a few weeks and let that wedding high subside but then you have the BEST feeling knowing you can still go on your honeymoon. It definitely prolonged the process.
Lauren recently posted..On Living a Positive Life

27 Meister, Running While Smiling April 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I am DYING to run a Disney Half — go for it, lady!

My squeeze and I took our honeymoon almost a full year after we got married, and it was great: Kind of like a way to make the wedding magic last, and we used ours as a little early-anniversary celebration. Make your own rules, make your own traditions, and make your own history. I say go for it!!
Meister, Running While Smiling recently posted..The Toes Know…s?

28 kirsten April 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

My wedding reception was on a Saturday and we flew out Monday morning. We had actually gotten legally married 8 months prior to our wedding so I was SO READY for a honeymoon by the time we went :) I think going a week or two after is a great idea!

29 Margo April 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

We did mid-week to mid-week for the travel deals. Saved a ton! We went the Tuesday after our wedding, which I thought was perfect (though obviously I know no different). I was on cloud 9 after the wedding, and I am so happy I was able to hang on to that feeling by going on the honeymoon right away. I definitely couldn’t have gone back to work the next week. I wasn’t quite ready for reality. Any time you decide to go, you’ll have an amazing time! It’s so nice to have quality alone time with your new husband… and for the first time in awhile, without wedding talk to stress over!!

30 Carrie April 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

We went on our honeymoon one week after we were married. I really felt like it was best for us as we had a LOT of out of town guests for our wedding and this way we got to spend some extra time with them. Plus, like you said, it’s nice to have time to settle down after the wedding for a few days instead of a giant whirlwind of ceremony + reception + leaving on vacation all in one swoop.
Carrie recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew

31 Heather April 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Waited! I had to go to work Monday, so we’re going in June after school is over – 9 months later.

32 Heather April 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Oh & we also took a long weekend road trip two weeks after.

33 Elisabeth April 24, 2012 at 12:09 am

I’m not married, but I think it’s a great idea to wait a little bit and the mid-week to mid-week idea is a good one, especially with the holiday weekend (and so you can run the 20th Ann. WDW marathon!!)

34 Amy April 24, 2012 at 12:11 am

I think you should do whatever you feel is best for you! My husband and I went right after our wedding (not the immediate next day, but the one after that :) ), but we also took about another week off after we got home from work. It was sort of like that vacation from a vacation that everyone always talks about! It was so nice to have another few days to relax and settle back into a routine after all the wedding craziness. Oh, we saved money on flights too since we didn’t fly on a weekend!

35 Leah April 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

We got married on a Friday and took a mini-moon to a driveable location from Saturday to Tuesday. I didn’t have vacation time and was really strapped for cash and my husband had just started on the fire department and wasn’t sure when he’d have to leave for the training academy, so we opted for the short trip. We took our “real” honeymoon over our first anniversary, when we were more financially sound (I’d started a new job a few months later) and called it our “honeymoonaversary.” It was perfect for us!
Leah recently posted..Nana B. and the Boston Marathon

36 Anna April 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’m stil waiting for my honeymoon two years later. And I still have to wait one more year. My husband went to grad school after we got married and now is only an intern in his field so unless someone else will pay for it, we have to wait. :(
But if I had a choice, I’d do it your way, get settled in and then go.

37 Emily N April 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I think that is a good approach. We went right away, but that was what worked for us the best because of our work schedules. But I know a lot of people who have done it your way with a lot of success!
Emily N recently posted..A Super Speedy Run + Heavy Lifts

38 Chris April 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think whatever sounds best to the couple is the right decision for them. For us, it was to wait a few weeks. This was for a few reasons – one was that we DIYed a lot of the wedding and I knew after it I wanted to veg out, not rush off to an airport. The HM was really important to us, so we saved our butts off for a 2 week trip to New Zealand. The idea of packing and prepping for a trip like that right after the wedding sounded exhausting, so we waited 3 weeks and that worked great for us! Our wedding was on a Sat, we spent time with friends and family that Sun, I took off work that Mon and went back Tues. Then a few weeks later we went on the best trip of our lives! Whatever you do or where ever you go, you are going to love the HM. It’s like vacation on romance steroids, the best!

39 Katie April 25, 2012 at 12:04 am

I’m actually a big proponent of waiting to take a honeymoon. We had to cancel ours originally because my husband started a new job a few months before our wedding and his new company wouldn’t let him take time off. But…because of that we took our time, saved up some more money (let’s face it: a wedding is a big expense even if your family is covering a large portion of it) and ended up booking a place that was even nicer than what we had originally intended the first time around. Also, we were able to figure out the best time of the year to go and when the deals would be, so it was nice to not be tethered to a specific date immediately after the wedding. AND – it is one additional thing to look forward to, instead of one big wedding weekend/honeymoon combined in one chunk. You’ve gotta love having something to look forward to…

Also…I will say that the first 2 or so days after the wedding I was literally DRAINED. My body had been in excitement mode the entire week before and I just wanted to sleep for 24 hours straight. In the end, I was so glad that we didn’t have to travel immediately, because I bet I would have been such a cranky girl and might have missed out on some of the fun of a trip!
Katie recently posted..Black maxi and beads

40 Amanda April 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

We were living in NJ but got married where we are from in upstate NY. We went somewhere just a few hours’ drive away for 3 nights after our wedding before returning to NJ. It was nice because we were able to stay out late the night of the wedding, sleep in, and take our time packing up Sunday morning. We still had a few days to unwind after the wedding craziness before returning to normal life. Then 4 months later, over Christmas break, we took our “real” honeymoon to the Caribbean. Since we were both grad students at the time, it worked well with our schedules and gave us some more time to save up for a nicer honeymoon…also we were ready for a warm beachy vacation in December. When we got married in August? Not so much.
Amanda recently posted..Bison, Trash Plates, and a Jerb

41 Jessica April 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I got married 11/5 of this year, and we leave for our honeyoon on 6-13…eight months later!!! I am glad we waited because he has a daughter and its been really nice getting used to being a new family…but dont worry…I CANT WAIT to leave

42 Sara April 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm

We waited a week or so until we left for our honeymoon for the same reason… wanted to wind down from the wedding, put away gifts, and settle. I’m so glad we did! Trying to worry about packing for a vacation on top of final wedding plans wasn’t my idea of fun!

43 Jules April 30, 2012 at 8:13 am

I doubt if the main event a week after your wedding would be a problem but you should consider how the training in the 8 weeks leading up to the marathon will effect things in the run up to your wedding. You are going to be pretty busy in those last few weeks! It might not be too bad once you start to taper but you are also going to be under a lot of mental and phyical pressure…times that by two if you are training for a marathon at the same time…just saying xx
Jules recently posted..Nicci’s race re-cap and World Book Night

44 Melanie May 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We were married on Saturday and left for St. Lucia bright and early on Monday morning. I’m so glad we didn’t wait and go back to work! Felt so amazing to be married and going away together for awhile!

Enjoy whatever works best for you!

Did you decide on a location yet?

45 Meghann May 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Not yet! We decided to hold off and check back 6 months out, hopefully the ticket prices won’t be so crazy then. :)