Something New: Corn English Muffins

by Meghann on April 23, 2012

I discovered something new at the grocery store yesterday.

Corn english muffins? hmm… sounds interesting.

The Thomas’ English Muffins were BOGO this week at Publix. The corn ones caught my eye, and I figured since I do love corn muffins, they were worth a try.

The corn english muffins smelled faintly of cake right from the bag, and once toasted, the cake aroma filled the entire kitchen. They were definitely more of the sweet corn muffin variety, rather than the salty. I’m not sure why I didn’t consider this as a possibility when I was making my lunch. I assumed they would be more salty and prepped an egg salad with hard boiled eggs, plain greek yogurt, tomato, green onions, and pickle as a topper.

Eh. Not good. The egg salad didn’t quite work on the corn english muffin. The english muffin was far too sweet and just tasted off with the egg salad. I should have taken a bite of the corn english muffin before I added the egg salad so I could give a thorough review besides the fact that that flavor combination just did not work. I’ll have to try it again with some butter or nut butter because, as of right now, I’m not a fan.

Some carrot sticks and apple slices rounded out my plate.

Have you tried the Thomas’ Corn English Muffins? What were your thoughts?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I like plain english muffins, so I don’t think I would’ve even thought about the corn ones :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Humbled (and happy).

2 Karen April 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I tried them but ate them untoasted with butter! Try it that way, I really enjoyed them, much more “muffin” tasting!
Karen recently posted..8 Gorgeous Nature Blogs for Earth Day

3 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’ve never heard of corn english muffins! I absolutely LOVE corn muffins and corn muffin tops so I wonder if I would like these with eggs and jelly (or any of my “sweet & savory” type of breakfasts). I’ll have to try them!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..But here’s my number, so call me maybe

4 Maggie April 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I LOVE the Thomas’s corn muffins! I don’t really keep bread in my apartment, but my parents started buying these a few months ago and whenever I visit I always have one for breakfast with almond butter and raspberry jelly. So good!

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Any chance those are gluten free? I’m guessing no but I have to ask, they sound good!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..The Best Monday Ever

6 Jen April 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm

These are my new favorite english muffins. I work at Publix and the guy who brings in the Thomas’ products to my store said they were gross, but I tried them anyway and they are delicious. From the way he described them I think he ate them raw, but toasted with some butter or preserves, they are amazing. I’ve also had them instead of cornbread when I made chili.

7 Christine April 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Was curious about the gluten thing too, so tried looking it up on the Thomas’s site. Not terribly helpful/descriptive, lol: http://thomasbread.com/our-products/product.aspx?sku=4812127642

But I am intrigued by these: http://thomasbread.com/our-products/product.aspx?sku=4812121696 They aren’t available in the South, but they look yummy!
Christine recently posted..Use Your Imagination: Tantalizing Tastes & Tours

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm

The corn ones sound good but they’re probably better with butter or nut butter!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Birthday Times

9 AlisonJ April 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I really like them! I’ve had them for lunch topped with black beans, spinach & cheese – delish! I’ve also enjoyed them with cream cheese on top. Might also be an easy pairing on the side of some chili.

10 Dana April 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t tasted them myself, but a coworker toasts one for a snack every so often. Makes the whole office smell JUST like cake. No one believes me when I tell them it’s a corn english muffin she’s making!

11 jv April 23, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m obsessed w/ cornbread (Whole Foods blueberry cornbread to be specific) so I’d be interested to try them!

12 Alex @ therunwithin April 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Whoa, I have never seen those. They must be gluten free?!?
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Ideal vs. Stereotype

13 Mallory April 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I’ve tried these a while ago and LOVED them. So buttery, so good. Ahhh <3

14 Carissa April 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I looked at these at the store today but didn’t get them. I was hoping corn meant “gluten free” and it didn’t. I think I would like the sweet flavor.
Carissa recently posted..How to Easily Find Your Daily Calorie Needs

15 Sandy April 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I haven’t seen the corn version but I really like the original ones. I think I will stick to the originals. The corn ones …I am not so sure if I want to try them!

16 Hillary April 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I saw these this weekend but didn’t buy them since they weren’t on sale. I do love sweet corn muffins, so I think I might have to give them a try!
Hillary recently posted..Shake It Up

17 Cait's Plate April 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Oooh I haven’t tried those but I’m definitely going to be on the look out for them!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..From Dinner to Lunch

18 BroccoliHut April 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Are the corn English muffins gluten free? I don’t have a sensitivity or anything, I was just curious to see if that’s what Thomas was going for in creating them.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Pantry & Fridge Clean-Up

19 Victoria April 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I have had them, my mom lives on them— I swear! She brought them down during our wedding weekend. I actually liked them with melted cheese on top (provolone)!
Victoria recently posted..Komen 5k Race Report

20 Carrie April 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Interesting! I’ve never heard of corn english muffins before.
Carrie recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Potato Chickpea Stew

21 Phyllin Phat April 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I hate when new fun food comes out the day after I start a diet :(
Phyllin Phat recently posted..Back From the Dead

22 Heather April 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I will have to look for these. I love corn muffins!
Heather recently posted..New shoes, new training plan!

23 Elisabeth April 24, 2012 at 12:01 am

They sound like something I’d really like! I love sweet corn muffins, so they’d be right up my ally (but not with egg salad – ha!) :)

24 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 24, 2012 at 7:11 am

I havent used any English muffins other than the Ezekiel sprouted grain since I discovered them. It took me a while to get used to the denseness but now I love them. I dont think Id ever go back. :D
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Why I Dont Like To Sleep In

25 Sara @my less serious life April 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

i saw these this weekend in the store and debating buying them. i opted not to – but you have me curious. maybe next bogo!

26 Nasncy Barber July 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I went to Walmart for original English muffins…there wasn’t one package to be found…in their place were these new corn English muffins. I bought a package…I wouldn’t buy them again. They don’t taste like English muffins or corn muffins, but a funny combination of both. I’ll just keep waiting until the day corn toaster cakes make their way to Nevada.

27 Lisa August 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

They are delicious! I only toast and use butter. They are wonderful with my egg in the morning. Why add cream cheese or jelly to something that tastes so wonderful on it’s own :-) Enjoy!!

28 Dorothy August 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I like the Thomas Toast-R-Cakes which I can no longer buy at Giant in VA but recently purchased at Stop & Shop in MA. Why aren’t they avaiable in VA?

29 Laura September 6, 2012 at 4:15 am

I love them. I don’t need them toasted, don’t need butter. They are awesome right out of the bag!

30 Darlene Fitts September 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hello I bought some Thomas corn english muffins shared them with my friends and we all love them but can’t find them at any of the stores in my area which is Santa Cruz, California. I bought them at the Orowheat bread store in Santa Cruz California that sells day old bread. Where can we get them in Santa Cruz or in this area someplace?

Thanks Darlene

31 carol December 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

We absolutely LOVE them. We have to drive about a hundred miles to get them, but it is worth it. Try them toasted crispy with honey butter.

32 Mary in Colorado January 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

my husband and I both love these corn muffins. I like to make a breakfast sandwich with them. toast them first, add almond butter, a couple of thin slices of apple and thin sliced banana…cinnamon and I am ready to go.

33 Cheryl Roberts February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

In December, we were down at the house we own in Naples, Florida. It is there I came across the Corn English Muffins purchased at Publix. They are delicious. Kind of a cross between cornbread and regular English muffins, we stocked up. Having to come home to Illinois, I brought one package with me but didn’t have room for any more of them hoping I could procure some here in Illinois. Well, I was wrong. None to be had here! A real bummer as now I have to get my daughter-in-law to send me a couple packages by FedEx if I want them. At least give us one outlet in Illinois to get some of these!

34 Cleva in Florida February 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I found the Thomas Corn English Muffins at Publix a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved them but haven’t seen them since. Have checked out several other stores in the area to no avail. Hopefully I’ll find them again so I can stock up

35 edna watson February 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I found one package of the corn muffins at my Safeway. ONE! And no one. Can tell me why there has been no more. I loved them plain and with all I put on them. Must be a matter of taste—Tell me there will be more. Sincerely. Edna Watson. Kingman Arizona

36 DJ in Florida January 2, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I saw these for the first time last weekend at Walmart and had TWO of them for breakfast this morning – toasted with butter and blueberry preserves. YUMMY! They made the kitchen smell like I was baking a cake.

37 alice jackson April 29, 2014 at 11:09 pm

They very very good! Why were they taken off the market so fast?

38 Cheryl Roberts May 1, 2014 at 12:15 pm

They only appear to be available in Florida around Thanksgiving into Christmas time. They are delicious toasted which brings out the corn flavor. I buy a mess of them and then freeze them. Gave 2 packages as gifts to my brothers. Still have a half a package. Would love to buy more!

39 Ron Kidd September 11, 2014 at 5:49 am

I love the Thomas CORN English muffin but can’t find them anymore in Colorado Springs, CO Where are they located. Can I purchase online?