A Puppy at Heart

by Meghann on April 22, 2012

How could you not love this face?

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this on the blog, but my parents’ dog (Scooby) hasn’t been doing so well the past couple of months. He’s getting older (he’ll be 10 this coming fall) and has been having some issues with his hips. he’s lost a lot of muscle control in his hind legs recently, and gripping booties that prevent his back feet from slipping and sliding on the wood floors, have become his latest fashion statement. Poor guy.

Still, as heartbreaking as it may be to see him struggle to lift those legs, you would never guess he’s in any pain when he has a toy in his mouth. He and Maddie chased each other all over the house all weekend. Both were barking and both grinning from ear to ear. It’s nice to catch a glimpse of puppy Scooby every once in a while, his body might be starting to fail him, but he’s not ready to resign to being an old man just yet.

IMG_2505.JPG IMG_2506.JPG

More power to ya, Scooby. :)

Also, more power to Maddie. She’s currently curled up at my feet, barely able to keep her eyes open. After a weekend with Uncle Scooby, she is OUT. :)

While the dogs played this morning, I slept in. Dad was kind enough to make a lovely Sunday breakfast featuring scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, and leftover fruit from yesterday’s shower.

My mom is a Nicholas Sparks fanatic. I’m pretty sure she’s read every one of his books and the ones she reads and loves she usually passes on to me. One of those favorites was The Lucky One, which I read back in 2010 and loved. When I heard the movie was coming out this spring, I knew I had to take my mom to see it.

We caught the matinee this afternoon with my Dad and all shared a bucket of popcorn at the theater.

IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2488.jpg

As is true with every book turned into a movie, the book was better. That being said, the movie wasn’t so bad. I just wish they had casted a different Logan. As sexy as Zac Efron is, he still has a baby face (unshaven face or not) and his female counterpart looked about 10 years his senior (in reality she’s only 3 years older). I would suggest skipping the theater with this one and saving it for RedBox or Netflix. It’s definitely a chick flick, but every girl needs a good chick flick every once in a while.

Did you see Lucky One? What did you think?

After the movie we grabbed lunch at Asian Too next to the theater.

My dad and I split the eel roll

and the bourbon chicken wraps (loved the pickled daikon in these :) )

I guess this means I’ll be making a left tomorrow?

Before I hit the road back to Tampa I warmed up a leftover mini apple pie and mini cupcake and served it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Holy yum!

I made a bowl of leftovers for dinner when I made it back to Tampa. There’s leftover spinach, vegetables, falafels, mac and cheese, pesto, hummus, and pita wedges. :)

My mom sent me home with a few of her wedding albums – I can’t wait to share what’s inside.

I actually have a handful of wedding posts up my sleeves for this week. Nothing like a trip home to get a few wedding related tasks out of the way. :)

It’s been a fun weekend away, but it also feels good to be home. Time to catch up on some Mad Men episodes (I may or may not already be on season 4!) and head to bed early.

Good night!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 22, 2012 at 9:17 pm

oh that will be so nice to look at your mom’s wedding albums! I really should do that, I’ve never looked through my parents’!

2 Sana April 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Poor Scooby :(

3 Alex @ therunwithin April 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Dogs melt my heart, especially as they get older but still have that life in them although their body may not want it. Your weekend looks fabulous with delicious food and fun people!

4 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer April 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I know how it feels to watch your dog get older and have trouble getting around! My dog has a rope just like the one in the picture of your parents dog too. I keep wanting to throw it away but he curls up with it when he sleeps. I don’t have the heart to take it away!

5 Cait's Plate April 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Aw poor Scooby, that breaks my heart!

6 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I saw “The Lucky One” this weekend and I am SHOCKED that shes only 3 years older than him?? Holy Cow! My friend and I were thinking at least 10. If hes playing early 20′s we totally had her age pegged at 35. We meant to google it after but didnt. He’s def baby faced but Ill let him get away with it. :D

7 Elizabeth April 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Is Scooby able to take any medications to help with the pain or inflammation around his hips? My older dog is almost 13, and he has hip dysplasia, which is fairly common for larger breeds. We try to keep his rough playing to a minimum, and give him pain meds if he does overdo it, just to help him feel better.

8 Meghann April 23, 2012 at 9:10 am

They haven’t put him on pain medication yet, but he’s been going to the vet for weekly shots that are supposed to help him rebuild the muscle. We usually keep his rough play to a minimum as well, but sometimes you just have to let him play – his face seriously lights up when he has a toy in his mouth.

9 kimmy April 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I pretty much always disagree with you on your movie reviews. hehe

10 Allie @Being Allie April 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I saw the Lucky One last night and was quite disappointed :( I JUST read the book and felt it was so much better (they always are though!). Definitely wish I had waited until it was a rental.

11 Miranda @ Biting Life April 23, 2012 at 12:48 am

Aww, he looks so sweet. My parent’s have an older cat named Wolfgang (he’s 21 1/2!) who was one of our family pets growing up. He’s not doing so well, either. He has the same slipping-sliding problem on our kitchen tile floors. But you can still tell he’s happy because he still purrs and meows :)

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 23, 2012 at 6:11 am

Poor, Scooby! I’ve gone through the same thing with one of my dogs. It’s tough to see them get older especially when mentally they still feel like a puppy!

I saw the previews for ‘The Lucky One’ but didn’t read the book so I didn’t know the story line. I thought the woman was actually supposed to be way older than him! Opps!!

13 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 23, 2012 at 6:14 am

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Lucky One. I had high hopes for it, but I think I will wait for it to come out on DVD and then watch it at home..

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

Yeah, I’ve heard that movie was not so great. Your lunch, however, looks delicious!! ;)

15 Emily N April 23, 2012 at 7:42 am

I love looking at my parents wedding album. My mom hates it, but I just love looking!

16 Coco April 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Aww poor Scooby! He’s adorable- I love his little salt and pepper face :) My dog Sammy (also a Jack Russell) turned 10 this year- even though he still looks the same- there are a lot of things that have slowed down.. He certainly doesn’t have nearly the energy he used to and sleeps a whole lot, just wants to snuggle and get all the attention in the world, and after attempting to walk him a few weeks ago, one of his back legs was out of commission for a week.. (because he has never and probably will never stop pulling the crap out of the leash) The funny thing is that it didn’t really hit me that he older- much less to senior status until the leg incident.. I’ve since started to give him senior vitamins to help- and there are still burst of that crazy energy- but it is hard to see him change to an old man!

17 Wendy April 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Ok, I am normally a serious lurker here but after reading about poor Scooby I had to post. You will think this is crazy buif you can find a regular chiropractor who will adjust him it could do wonders! We had a Rotweiler that was the sweetest dog on the planet. His mind was still there but his hips were at the point of having to make a difficult decision. Our chiro was nice enough to offer to take a look at him and the results were amazing. He lived for four more happy years!