Kelly’s Bridal Shower

by Meghann on April 21, 2012

Three cheers to the bride-to-be!

After weeks of planning, hours of DIY-ing and a handful of helpers I owe more than a dinner to; we did it! Kelly’s bridal shower was a huge success! There was good food, amazing friends and family, and a glowing bride-to-be who lit up the room. Hip-hip hooray! Hip-hip hooray! Hip-hip hooray!

First, a quick look at the room before:

And now the after:

The twinkle lights were my dad’s idea. They’re hard to see in the photos, but they really popped when you walked in the room. I thought they were a nice touch -Way to go, Dad. :)

Here’s the run down:

We covered the tables with basic white paper table cloths then dressed them up with rectangles of purple fabric (in various patterns) that I had purchased at JoAnn fabrics and burlap runners.

We purchased the candle holders at a place in Tampa called Val’s Basket Warehouse. My mom and cousins were in charge of dressing up the mason jars – major props to their creativity with all of them.

The present table (which was OVERFLOWING once everyone started arriving) had another yard of the purple fabric I found at Joann’s and one of Kelly and Anthony’s engagement photos I had printed and framed.

A quick nod to our pinwheel success. (Tutorial here) Once my mom and I got our rhythm down, we had no problem spitting out a dozen of these in an hour. It was a fun DIY project that added fun pops of color around the room. Another bridesmaid, Amber, made all the chalkboards. She purchased different shapes of boards and spray painted them with chalkboard spray paint. Easy.

The food table was the focal point of the room.

Kelly’s only request for her shower was a 100% vegetarian menu. We didn’t warn anyone ahead of time that there wouldn’t be meat and no one ever said anything that meat was missing from the table. It was just food, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. We did get a lot of compliments regarding all the good eats. ;)

IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2303.JPG IMG_2308.JPG

Mac and Cheese Cups recipe HERE and Baked Falafel Ball recipe HERE. <- Try BOTH of these. trust me.

Utensil table

My favorite table (the dessert table!)

The strawberry crumbcake came from a local donut shop (and tasted just like a strawberry donut <- yum!) and bridesmaid Amber made the vanilla and chocolate mini cupcake.

IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2325.jpg

I stocked up on Easter candy the day after Easter. I figured the spring colors would work for the shower.

And, of course, the mini pies. I liked how the Ks came out on top. :)

Refreshments.

We borrowed the tea and lemonade jugs from my aunt and I found the purple paper straws online. My mom had the buckets in the garage – we lined them with plastic bags and used them as ice buckets.

IMG_2350.JPG IMG_2351.JPG

The favors.

My Aunt Carol was kind enough to do the favors. In the pots are little tins of flower seeds with attached instructions on how to plant them, plus a reminder of Kelly and Anthony’s wedding date.

We had jars of cookie mix (a la Ashley) for the winners of the bridal shower games.

I was a ball of nerve all morning prepping for the party, but once everything was in place, I couldn’t wait for everyone to start arriving!

Kelly and I went for a 14 mile run this morning (we ran up and down the main bridge in town to get our hill work in), but once she was showered and ready for the day, I kicked her out of the house. I had recruited my cousin earlier in the week to whisk her away to have her toes done while we prepped for the shower, that way she wouldn’t feel the need to help and it would be one big surprise when she walked in the door.

When she made it back a couple of hours later, the guests were just starting to arrive and the room was complete. I wish I had my camera to see her face, but it all happened too fast! Kelly was swallowed up by friends and family and simply glowed as any women who is about to marry the love of her life should.

We didn’t wait long to eat. The bride was hungry and we didn’t want to keep her waiting (we were hungry too). I made a plate with a little bit of everything and couldn’t believe how great it all came out. The mac and cheese cups were a HUGE hit.

We didn’t wait long for dessert either. ;)

Our first game was the How Well Do You Know The Bride quiz.

Each guest was given a pen and the list of questions, then – once everyone was done – I read the questions aloud and Kelly gave the correct answer. Our questions ranged from “What cartoon character covered Kelly’s childhood bedroom?” (Tweety bird) to “Where did Kelly and Anthony share their first kiss?” (America’s Backyard Bar in Ft. Lauderdale <- we also accepted outside a bar). I actually gave Anthony the quiz this morning and he got 13 out of 14 right (he didn’t guess correctly that time travel was the superpower Kelly would choose if she could choose a superpower <- I got that one wrong too!). His best answer was for “Where is Kelly going on her honeymoon?” Anthony said,”with me.” True enough, Anthony. ;)

After the game the bridesmaids gave Kelly a toast.

Cheers!

IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

And we handed out blank Bingo cards for our next game.

All the guests had to fill in the blanks with what they thought Kelly would open from her present pile (i.e. wooden spoons, towels, cash, etc.) . As she opened the gifts, they would cross off the gift if it was on their card. The first one to get 5 in a row – won.

The game was a hit. Kelly would open a present, she would say what it was, and everyone immediately would check their sheet and start crossing items off. It made opening presents just a little more fun. :)

IMG_2433.jpg IMG_2434.JPG

Kelly broke 4 ribbons while opening gifts. Does that mean I should expect 4 nieces and nephews in my future?! ;)

Kelly and Anthony registered with HoneymoonWishes.com (a site where guests can purchase excursions for their honeymoon or simply pay for certain parts of the trip). Instead of just giving Kelly a piece of paper, a family friend dressed it up a bit by gifting the certificate in a beautiful frame. I thought it was a cute idea. :)

I also thought Ashley’s gift was a great idea. She had framed photos of Kelly’s wedding date and added ‘The Moores’ and ‘EST’ to matte.

Adorbs, right?

Can I say how much of an honor it is to be my sister’s maid of honor and have the opportunity to throw her a shower? I love my sister more than anything and would throw her a party every week if I could!

IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2461.JPG

Ok, maybe not every week, but how about every month? Let’s say next month, shall we.

Next up? The bachelorette party! Oh…. it is sooooo on for that one. ;)

1 Heather @ Housewife Glamour April 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm

What a great shower! Good for you for successfully making those DIY pinwheel flowers. Amazing work, Meghann! :)
Heather @ Housewife Glamour recently posted..Status Update Overload

2 Summer April 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

You missed your calling as a party planner… this is STUNNING! In a comfortably fun way- amazing :)

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

what a cute shower!!!! everything looks so well thought out, I’m sure the bride really appreciated all your effort! and I LOVE the bingo game idea!!!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..My Life is a Zoo…

4 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 21, 2012 at 10:13 pm

So cute! I love wedding showers! Those little pies are the cutest things!!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..The Splurge Day

5 Brittany April 21, 2012 at 10:13 pm

It looks as though the shower was lovely. I love all the decorations and the game ideas! Great job party planning lady!!
Brittany recently posted..Pescados Round II

6 Megan McK April 21, 2012 at 10:28 pm

“I love my sister more than anything and would throw her a party every week if I could!” – LOVE this! My favorite part of this entry. :)

Loved the pics too. Awesome job. You are the DIY queen!

7 Michelle April 21, 2012 at 10:32 pm

LOVE your dress! Where is it from?

8 Meghann April 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you! It’s from Urban Outfitters :)

9 katie April 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm

You are SUCH an amazing sister! Kelly is very lucky to have you, as I know she feels so lucky to have you too!
What a beautiful shower! I love the mini apple pies, they turned out great!

How beautiful from beginning to end! Give yourself a BIG pat on the back girl! xo
katie recently posted..Trader’s and sweet night snack

10 Reenie April 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You and your helpers did a great job….everything looks so cute and the food looks great. Love the lights too!! :)

11 Army Amy* April 21, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Wow! Y’all went all out! I’m sure a good time was had by all.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Eat and Run

12 Caroline April 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm

WOW! It looks like you did a great job on the shower. The decorations look fantastic and the food looks delicious:)
Caroline recently posted..10 Happy Miles

13 Liz April 22, 2012 at 12:38 am

Thanks for some great ideas – I’ll be throwing my best friend’s shower next spring (I’m the MOH) :)

14 Heather April 22, 2012 at 7:47 am

Everything looks great! I do love Ashley’s gift for her.

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 22, 2012 at 8:30 am

Such great ideas! I loved it all! Where did you get those banners? Did you DIY?
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

16 Meghann April 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

No, I actually bought them from a twitter follower. I was tweeting about bunting banners and she said she had some from her wedding that would probably work. I <3 social media!

17 Hillary April 22, 2012 at 8:41 am

This looks absolutely wonderful, Meghann! What great ideas (love the mini pies and mac and cheese cups! Stealing those ideas).
Hillary recently posted..Shake It Up

18 Katie April 22, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m an only child, but I wish I had a sister as sweet as you!

19 emily April 22, 2012 at 9:17 am

That room is flipping gorgeous; you guys did a great job! I have to second other posters too that it is really sweet how much your family seems to love each other.

20 amanda April 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

Wow – you really went all out! Everything looks amazing and Kelly looks so happy. Major, major kudos on all of this!
amanda recently posted..Forgiveness

21 Briana April 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

Wonderful job, Meghann!! This is so very sweet, and it is so obvious how much everyone enjoyed the shower. Makes me wish I had a sister!!

22 Emily @ Relishments April 22, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks for sharing the details! I’m the matron of honor at my sister’s wedding in September so I’m on the hunt for great shower ideas and activities. I love that Bingo game as a way to involve everyone in present opening, can’t wait to use it!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..School Break Project: Bagels

23 Steph April 22, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love the BINGO game! Most people just start talking or get bored watching. This is a perfect way to keep the party going! Great job :) Beautiful decorations, and the food looked SO yummy!
Steph recently posted..Jogging for Judy

24 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Everything looked great! Well done! I love personalized gifts like the wedding date picture. So cute! I hope you are relaxing today!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Training Plans and a Headstand Pose Challenge?

25 BethT April 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

You did an awesome job. I still want to be an honorary Anderson! Your family is so sweet.
BethT recently posted..Fear and Parenting in SF: Part 1

26 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

That is the most thought out, heart felt bridal shower I have ever seen. You did a really great job. And I loooooove Ashley’s gift…and her hair! I guess she’s doing the post-wedding hair chop too. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..A Week of Workouts

27 Kelly April 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thank you so much again!! You guys really did an amazing job putting everything together. I felt very loved yesterday. I am counting down the days until the bachelorette party and wedding!! :) Can’t wait to return the favor and plan your shower!

28 Jen April 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Meghann, you did such an amazing job! Kelly looks so, so happy <3 And you both look gorgeous!
Jen recently posted..Home course advantage?

29 Brittney April 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hey Meghann, can you please get married already? Posts like this one just make me so happy haha :)

30 Teacher Girl April 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

You did an absolutely amazing job! The decor looks amazing and your sister seems thrilled! =)

I think it is interesting that you didn’t tell people it was going to vegetarian only. I guess you must have known all the guests very well. I only mention this because I have severe food allergies and I can’t even begin to count the number of times I have gone to a party and even my close friends forget. Then I end up eating only one thing because there is literally nothing I can eat. As someone allergic to nuts, legumes, soy, etc., I probably wouldn’t have been able to eat much of the vegetarian food. Most vegetarians use things I am allergic to in order to substitute meat. It is the number 1 reason I have never been able to go vegetarian.
Teacher Girl recently posted..I’m leaving the country, finally!!!

31 Meghann April 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

I didn’t warn anyone it would be a 100% vegetarian menu because I didn’t want it to be a big deal. I knew everyone that would be at the party and I knew it would be an easy going crowd that’s allergy free. If there had been anyone with allergies in attendance, I would have warned them ahead of time to give them a heads up. :)

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Wow, what an awesome day!! Everything looks gorgeous … you and your friends did an awesome job! I know those mini pies were a pain in the behind, but they look so cute! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pure randomness … just because.

33 Savannah Richardson April 22, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Every detail of this event is PERFECT! Great job!
Savannah Richardson recently posted..Couponing @ Megan’s

34 Macrae April 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Kelly looks fabulous and you are an AWEWWSOME maid of honor! I love how serious the ladies look during bingo, never want to miss a bingo!- haha :)

35 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

WOW! What a beautiful shower! Your sister is a very lucky girl :)

36 Alice April 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Woa really impressive, looking forward to seeing your bachelorette party!
Alice.
Alice recently posted..provident loans

37 Courtney April 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Holy moly! What an AWESOME shower! You’re a rad big sister. (I am totally digging The Moore’s frame. I might have to copy cat for a friend!)
Courtney recently posted..5K PR!

38 Liz April 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I LOVE the gift from Ashley! Don’t suppose you know where she got that made? (My best friend is getting married next year & I’d love to give her something like that) :)

39 Meghann April 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

She made it herself. She purchased the frame, printed the photos, and wrote The Moores and EST herself. :)

40 Elisabeth April 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

That makes it even more special! :D

41 Jessica July 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Love this idea! Guessing she took the pictures of the numbers herself? I really want to make one of these but I’m not sure how to get the numbers..any info. you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

42 maria @ mim April 23, 2012 at 2:17 am

I have to say, you did a great job Meghann! I’m sure Kelly was so appreciative for all of the hard work you put in! :)
maria @ mim recently posted..The Mighty 10 [Workout]

43 Kalee April 23, 2012 at 2:24 am

I love the decorations! I actually just pinned this so I can find it again when I host a shower!
Kalee recently posted..What to Drink After a Workout : 3 Eat Clean Smoothie Ideas

44 Emily N April 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

Congrats on throwing a successful shower! I did that this weekend as well, but running won in the blog update, so shower stuff later! :-)
Emily N recently posted..Glass City Half Marathon Race Recap

45 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

Looks like so much fun! I love all of the DIY decorations!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..The Name Change Debate

46 Meredith Currie May 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

This is amazing! The pictures and food all look great. What did you do with all of the candle holders on the tables after the shower?
Meredith Currie recently posted..Other Marathon Things…

47 Meghann May 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

Kelly is using them for her wedding. :)

48 Bridgette June 9, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hi, I really love the frame made with the date in the three photo matting. Are the numbers in each frame something she made or found. Can I get more info on that. I love useful cute gifts and have a friend marrying in a month, thank you !

49 Meghann June 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hi Bridgette, She found photos of the numbers online and printed them at Walgreens.

50 Kaitlyn Williams June 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I love the est pic frame with the date! I would love to make one for myself and my friend who just got engaged. I’m wondering where she found the numbers like that! I tried googling the numbers of my wedding date and I cant seem to find anything like the ones she used which I love!
If you know or could find out , I would love to know!
Thanks so much,
Kaitlyn
P.S. the shower looked amazing!

51 Jennifer June 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hey –

I was going to do the pic with date on it – I’ve decided to do my pics of places they have traveled (London, Honduras, and the Dominican Republic) and I can’t figure out how to get the numbers on the pics – I’ve looked on the computer for stencils/transfers, etc…do you have any suggestions? Jennifer

52 Meghann June 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hi Jennifer! How about adding the numbers in photo shop in an antique font and then layering an “antique” and “black and white” layer over the whole picture so that it blends together?