Yeah, Baby

by Meghann on April 20, 2012

Gooooddddd Morning!

It’s Friday, Friday, Friday and I just returned from a gorgeous 6 mile run around my parents’ neighborhood. I love running around here because it’s a nice change of scenery from my runs back home. I ran by some swamps (while keeping my eye out for alligators) and through one of my favorite parks I used to visit all the time as a kid.

About a mile away from the house – you know, that mile away where you’re almost done and are a hot, sweaty mess? – I had a truck drive by and give a big honk while yelling “yeah, baby.” I couldn’t help but laugh. Did I just get a cat call?

In the 4+ years I’ve been running (has it really been 4+ years?!?) I’ve only had a cat call a couple of times while running. Most people seem to drive by per usual on their way to work and – you know – this is 2012 after all. Who cat calls anymore?

Have you ever had a cat call while running?

After my run I found my dad in the kitchen making breakfast – perfect timing, right?

I’ll have two scrambled eggs with a toasted mini bagel and butter, please. :)

I cut the pear and strawberries myself. The pear was extra ripe and extra juicy. Yum!

My dad took the day off to help with set-up. As I said last night, we have a lot of work ahead of us. Let’s use these as the before shots.

And from the other side.

Today’s agenda:

• Clean the house
  • Set-up the great room
  • Prep food
  • Finish pinwheels
  • Squeeze in conference call for HLS and lunch with an old friend.

Ready. Set. Go!

1 Lindsey April 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

I think in the summer when I run outside I get a cat call almost every run, but my route is down a main road.
Lindsey recently posted..Current Obsessions

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

UGH cat calls are one of the main reasons I try to run early early morning so I can avoid them. Afternoon runs are the worst here.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Utah digs.

3 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 20, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m with Lindsey on the regular cat calls, but I also run alongside pretty large-ish roads. I don’t mind them so much because it’s not a big distraction, but I HATE the honks. I literally jump up whenever that happens because it scares the crap out of me.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Can I Die Eating This?

4 Ali @SeeAliEatSeeAliRun April 20, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hahaha me too! It happens all the time, always scares the crap out of me, and then makes me wonder whyyyy?
And I’m not even that attractive!! haha
Ali @SeeAliEatSeeAliRun recently posted..The great shoe debate

5 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air April 20, 2012 at 9:28 am

Hahaha – I think cat calls are hysterical when I’m running. Although half the time I don’t even really hear them, because I have my music on. I do tend to stay on backroads and in neighborhoods more often though, because I like the scenery better!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..April update: Southern pride

6 Sara J April 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

My friend and I get cat calls or honks every couple of weeks while running/walking around Valley Forge Park (outside Philly). We normally look scruffy, so we always laugh :-)

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love running at home too, I love to go with my dad on his 4 mile loop!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Cross Training For Runners

8 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

Haha, I got a kissy noise not that long ago. Whenever that kind of stuff happens I just have to laugh, I mean really, who does that?
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..I like what running does for me, even when I’m not running

9 Angela April 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

Wedding showers are so exciting!!! Have fun!!
Angela recently posted..Weigh In Friday

10 Sarah April 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

Oh I hate getting honked at and getting cat calls! Whenever I lived in Dallas it used to happen all the time but it doesn’t really happen in my college town which is surprising since it’s full of 22 year old “men”. I just think it’s obnoxious..
Sarah recently posted..Breakfast For Dinner

11 Kathy April 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

I can’t think of any cat calls but its so obvious when the driver turns “HIS” entire head around as if to “see who is running”. Seriously, keep your eyes on the road buddy and…..if I know you I now think you are a little weird, if I don’t know you then I think you are a perv b/c I wonder if you are checking out younger girls like that too? It’s just weird. (Or maybe some men are just weird that way?) ha!

Or maybe its a male thing like holding a remote in one hand and a beer in the other….a male sees a girl running and they feel the need to turn their head? Go figure?
Kathy recently posted..This is it!

12 Yellow Haired Girl April 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

Bahahahaha I love cat calls. I don’t really do a lot of running outside (I’m trying to do more), but I do get cat calls when I’m walking through my parking lot. Does that count? Hahahaha. They make me laugh, because the last several times they’ve been from (what I can assume are) high school boys.

Enjoy the day – hope you succeed in crossing everything off of your list!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Nervous Nellie

13 abbi April 20, 2012 at 10:06 am

Pretty sure the only time I get cat calls are when it’s a big truck like you mentioned! Random people honking and then idiot teenagers who like to swerve towards you are always fun too!
abbi recently posted..Marketing that has worked

14 Cait's Plate April 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Ahaha – my sister and I used to get cat calls ALL the time while running together. It’s SO uncomfortable!!

15 Sarah @Blonde Bostonian April 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Cat calls always make me laugh. When I lived in my last apartment, my running route went by a firehouse. Many a time I would get a honk from a fire truck going by and a big smile from a fireman. It always made my day! <3 firemen!
Sarah @Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Ignoring My Body

16 Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner April 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

Ugh, in the summer the cat calling can get ridiculous! I just don’t understand why people do it! What do they really expect to come out of that? Haha, a date? Anyway, have fun setting up the wedding shower! I’m sure it will look great when you’re all done! Happy Friday!
Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner recently posted..Can HEELS and RUNNING be friends?

17 RunEatRepeat April 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’ve heard and seen a lot in the bad neighborhood I’m from. Let’s leave it at that ;)

Oh, and I call Prius’ raper cars because 2 have snuck up on me while I’m running and I didn’t realize until they were 2 feet away! Luckily it was just to ask directions.
RunEatRepeat recently posted..I Don’t Trust You

18 Rachel April 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

We have a Ford Escape Hybrid and I’ve accidentally sneaked up on people in it before. It’s amazing how quiet they can be!

19 Hillary April 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’ve gotten a “GET IT, GIRL!” before. I took that as encouragement!
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal X 2

20 KatieTX April 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

Besides the standard honks, the funniest thing ever yelled at a friend and I while running was “That’s what I’m talkin about”….hilarious.

21 Beth @ 990 Square April 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

Haha, you should come run with me in Baltimore. I get at least one, most days 2 or 3 cat calls EVERY run. Many years ago I actually had a guy slow down and try to pick me up!
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..The Jameson Experience, Midleton, Co Cork

22 Rachel April 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

Let me know if you need any help tonight or if you just need a break and want to grab a beer or something. Eric won’t be back from DC until late tonight and I’ll just be around the house alone and bored. I’ll probably be back in town around 6pm.

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

I don’t get cat calls often, but I have gotten them. Or people will honk their horns. It’s annoying, and I really don’t see the point in it. But oh well. People can be goofy sometimes. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pure randomness … just because.

24 Margo April 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

The only time I really get cat calls while running is when I’m visiting my parents! There’s one long stretch of a busy road, I always seem to get at least one cat call when I hit up that road. Here on the busy streets of Boston, I’m usually ignored, or the best is when someone cheers you on or asks for a high five!! Only happened a couple of times in the many years I’ve been running but I guess that’s what makes it so special!

25 Heather April 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

I had a homeless guy do a slow clap for me as I ran by. It was awesome.
Heather recently posted..Something light

26 Kendra April 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

I am not sure you can call it a cat-call, but 2 years ago (15 lbs heavier) I was running (fighting bad shin splints) through town, and a car full of teenaged boys drove buy and yelled, “Keep running, FATTY!!!”.

I nearly cried…. in retrospect, it doesn’t bother me much. At least I can lose weight, they can’t change the fact that they are ugly people. :)

27 Faith @ For the Health of It April 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’ve had them, it’s just part of running outside. I also had a homeless guy grab my ass at lake Eola, but that’s a different story in itself…

28 Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane April 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Cat calls used to happen a lot to me, but I think I just live near many obnoxious young people. It always scared the crap out of me because I’d be in the zone and the honk would be blaringly loud and jolting.
Lynda @ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Honey Stinger and FitFluential

29 Britt April 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I often run right by the local high school right about the time school lets out. (am I a glutton for punishment?) Cars full of teenage boys LOVE catcalling. I take it as a compliment. At least I don’t look like somebody’s mom!

30 Steph @ StephSnacks April 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I have had a few cat calls before! I find it totally strange, haha.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW: Nut Butter Time

31 Kristi April 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I’ve gotten a few cat calls while running. I just wave at them and smile! I also have gotten a few horn honks while biking and running. I just wish they would wait until after they had passed me so that I don’t have heart attacks (while biking and running).

32 Kimberly @ Healthy Strides April 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I get them occasionally (Lord knows why), mostly when I run downtown. I never got bothered by them. I consider those folks my own personal cheering section :)

33 Carrie April 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Too funny about the cat call! I’ve only had one once or twice while running.
Carrie recently posted..Long Run Recap

34 Rebecca April 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

My morning run often takes me past the high school. I get cat calls All.the.time from teen boys :P
Rebecca recently posted..Healthy Choices: Honey Soy Glazed Veggie Fries

35 Jennifer Adams* April 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I get honks but I assume I know the person. I probably do most of the time. I like people saying Hi. Doesn’t bother me. I hope seeing me out there running motivates them. It does me when I see people out. HOWEVER, once while running in summer a truck drove by and the guy yelled “Show me your boobs!!” I figure since I’m 41 and running isn’t always pretty I’m glad someone wanted to see them!! People are funny. And stupid

36 Socal Rachel April 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I find cat calls so annoying. It happened this week and the guy was stuck at red light. I finally turned around and said stop being so rude. Next time I’ll ask, “didn’t your mother teach you any manners?”
Socal Rachel recently posted..Snakes, Tigers, Buffalo and Death – Jan 21

37 Laura is Undeterrable April 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

When I run by the river downtown, especially in the summer I get a lot of comments from the inhabitants of the park. Sometimes they are positive, but I’ve also been told then I’m fat, ugly, or need to quit wearing spandex. You know, says the overweight gentleman smoking on the park bench. I hate running by myself down there. I try to run with a couple of male coworkers to keep the pervs and a-holes at bay.
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Friday Favorites

38 Caroline April 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I get stared at for awhile or cat called almost every run I go on down where I live… I guess there’s just a lot of inappropriate and immature guys in the area I live in. It gets a little annoying, especially when there are the creepers who drive along slowly behind to watch…. ugh. That makes me cringe:(

39 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I hate cat calls! First I usually get spooked by them because someone yells at me. Second, most people who give cat calls out are gross. I really want to just flip them off.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Training Plans and a Headstand Pose Challenge?

40 Michelle April 20, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Your sister and I had a few cat calls last weekend on our run :) I’m thinking it was mostly Kelly because I looked scary!

Have a great shower-filled weekend :)
Michelle recently posted..Wined and Dined at Hillstone

41 BroccoliHut April 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Ugh. Cat calls are one of the most unfortunate consequences of running, I think. Oddly, they seem to happen more often when I wear a running skirt, despite the fact that I look downright gross, no matter what I am wearing during a run. Just goes to show, guys will chase after anything in a skirt!
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Quinoa Craze

42 Steph @ 321delish April 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Some loser gave me a cat call the other day on Howard! I was like are you kidding me??? Ugh, so annoying!

Have fun at Kelly’s shower this weekend! Can’t wait to see pics!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Heat Headaches?

43 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

My sister and I once got cat calls in the dead of winter when we were all bundled up in our poofy winter jackets. It was one of the strangest and most hilarious things ever.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Banana Split Breakfast