Skillet Chicken

by Meghann on April 19, 2012

I made it to my parent’s house a little before 6:00 tonight after fighting some not-so-fun traffic on I-4 just outside of Orlando. As soon as I walked in the door I had to do some work, so I pulled my laptop out on the kitchen table and got to it. My dad walked in and casually asked if chicken was good for dinner.

“Sure. Works for me.”

He took the whole chicken out of the fridge (my dad refuses to buy pre-cut chicken when he can easily butcher it himself and save X amount per pound), cut it into even piece, and worked some magic with the skillet. My nose was buried too deep in my laptop to really pay attention (big mistake) and by the time I looked up again, the chicken was in the oven.

The aroma that proceeded to fill the kitchen was mesmerizing. My mouth was watering, my stomach was grumbling, and I was ready to eat. When the timer finally went off, so many minute later, I was delighted to see this come out of the oven.

Wow. Sometimes I forget just how great of a cook my dad is. He seriously whipped that dish up out of nowhere using items he already had on hand and not a recipe book in sight. When I grow up, I want to be just like my dad. I also want a skillet. Good thing I have that nifty registry to add one too. Check. ;)

I had a piece of chicken breast on top of a bed of greens with walnuts, brussels sprouts, and a mini onion bagel.

And just when I was feeling sad that I don’t live close enough to enjoy this food on a more regular basis, my little brother and his new wife popped by for food. I was jealous they could just do that. I guess that’s one perk of living less than 10 minutes from the parents’ house.

And don’t think they’re intruding – my parents love it. If it was up to them, they would have unannounced guests over every night. After so many years of cooking for a family of 6 + friends (our house was ‘the house’ to be at around dinner time), I think my dad is still trying to get used to cooking for two.

I had the opposite problem when I moved in with Derek, I was so used to cooking for one, that I struggled with cooking for two. Poor Derek had to eat bowls of cereal some nights when I underestimated how much food I was making. Whoops. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when our family expands. It’s a learning process, right?

Besides the patch of traffic on I-4, the drive over wasn’t bad. I snacked on three of the 10-grain cookies while jamming out to Disney songs on the radio.

Come on, sing it with me, “A whole new woooorrrrllldddddd”

I’m in town a couple of days early to help set up for my sister’s bridal shower on Saturday. We have – ummm – a bit of work ahead of us over the next 36 or so hours.

I have a plan. Sorta. I just need to work on executing it.

We shall see. ;)

Another reason I <3 my dad? He has a sweet tooth just like me.

That means there’s always ice cream in the freezer.

And always an ice cream buddy to share it with. ;)

Tomorrow is when all the fun begins!

Good night!

1 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming April 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm

My parents live in Taipei so I miss them almost year round. I was so jealous in college when my friends could just go home on the weekends and I would have to fly back a few times a year.

The chicken dish looks yummy and I love the sides you paired with it!

Good luck with your project! It looks fun :)
Grace @ Healthy Dreaming recently posted..Lower Fat Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 Katie @ Creature of Habit April 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm

That table full of to-do sums up why I keep procrastinating my wedding plans.
Katie @ Creature of Habit recently posted..Runner Knows Best

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Ahh I love being with family, so jealous! Good luck with planning the bridal shower and enjoy your time with your family!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 Ellie April 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Ahh that looks crazy! GOOD LUCK!
Ellie recently posted..One day at a time

5 Heather April 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Your dad’s chicken looks amazing! Good luck with the planning.
Heather recently posted..My first trail Half!

6 Carrie April 20, 2012 at 12:14 am

Good luck with the shower festivities!
Carrie recently posted..Long Run Recap

7 NJ April 20, 2012 at 5:45 am

You seem a little nostalgic for your old life lately (although I totally understand it is impossible to decipher this through blog posts alone, and I could be completely wrong). I know what this feels like, to feel a bit isolated through self-employment. I worked for a year from home for my company and almost went crazy. I was wondering if you have considered possibly getting a part time job or a volunteer opportunity to fill in some of the alone time? Being home alone isn’t always easy when you are the type of person who craves human interaction. Just a suggestion.

8 Meghann April 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

I just signed up to volunteer with GOTR. I’m also joining a weekly swim group and tri team. :)

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 20, 2012 at 7:02 am

It’s definitely a learning process, regarding cooking for 2, or 4, etc. I always underestimate how much my husband can eat! I’ll assume we’re going to have leftovers for at least a couple of meals, and then he ends up eating the whole thing in one night!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pure randomness … just because.

10 Meghann April 20, 2012 at 9:02 am

Same thing always happens to me! I’ll finish eating and put all the leftovers away and Derek will finish the leftovers off before he goes to sleep!

11 Hillary April 20, 2012 at 7:26 am

My dad’s the same way. He pretty much expects that I’ll be over for dinner every Sunday night, and if I bring guests with me, the more the merrier! Ahh family.
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal X 2

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 20, 2012 at 7:32 am

That chicken looks great! :) Good luck with planning!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Change In Fast Food…

13 Emily N April 20, 2012 at 7:58 am

I miss food at my mom’s even though she wasn’t the best cook. It was simply that mom made it, i think!
Emily N recently posted..New Sports Bras

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

We always had Sunday family dinners when I was growing up and while they were kind of annoying back then, I miss them now! Especially because I live 4 hours away from family.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Back in the Groove

15 Cait's Plate April 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

He definitely is a great cook! I think that every time you feature meals he’s made! You’re one lucky girl ;)

16 Lindsey April 20, 2012 at 11:48 am

I live about an hour and a half away from my parents. My sister and her family are about a mile and a half away from ‘home base’ as I call it. I still get jealous and homesick because I would love to just stop over at my mom’s when I was out of groceries and to see the kids more. It’s one of those pesky downsides about being an adult. Stinks.

17 Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Haha it never makes sense to me, I’m like what good is yelling at your car window at me going to do?!

18 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I am making those cookies tonight and its been an epic failure so far. I think I needed to add more of the dry ingredients because they appear to be melting into a cereal chocolate goo in the oven. HA! Going to give it another try. :D
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Homestead Creamery