more ยป" />

A Minor Set Back

by Meghann on April 19, 2012

So I discovered a minor set back in following the Tone it Up Bikini Challenge Series this morning.

Well, first of all the emails stopped coming to my inbox. I checked the spam folder and didn’t see them there. No big deal, I can just contact the email manager and fix that. I also tweeted with a couple of other girls who had the same problem, so maybe it’s not just me?

The email error isn’t really the set back. The set back is that I go to bed not knowing what the workout is going to be and am not sure when to get up (I usually wake up earlier when it’s a gym morning since I have to drive). Also, I like to get my workouts in early and this morning I was pressing refresh on the Tone It Up website over and over again waiting for today’s workout plan to be posted.

I finally gave up 15 minutes in and took Maddie for a long two mile walk around the neighborhood (p.s. Maddie is a way more distracted walker than she is a runner. When we run together, she’s all about running. She’ll maybe stop to poop or pee, but there is no sniffing or stalling – just running. As a walker, she has to sniff out the entire neighborhood.). When I returned – and the workout still wasn’t posted – I decided I would just do it at lunch.

I made breakfast instead.

I had picked up a new (to me) hot cereal from the store last night to try. Sometimes it’s fun to change it up from the normal routine of oats.

I made the hot cereal as I would any bowl of oats – 1/3 cup hot cereal, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 milk, dash of salt, heavy cinnamon, dried cherries, and a teaspoon of chia seeds in a small pot over medium heat – then topped the bowl off with a spoonful of pumpkin butter, peanut butter, fresh strawberries, and one of last night’s 10 Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The buckwheat hot cereal was a little mushier than regular oats, but I liked it. I wouldn’t mind using the mix to make pancakes, I bet it would make awesome pancakes. :)

After I finished my breakfast today’s bikini challenge workout finally posted. Since it was a short one, I made the quick decision to just complete it on a full stomach in my living room. Not as picturesque as the beach the Tone it Up girls are seen doing the workout on in the video, but I like to work with what I’ve got. ;)

Today’s workout (found here) was called The Bikini Strap Workout and focused on the chest, arms, and upper body. The Ultimate Arm & Back Toner move was killer with my 5 lb weights, but I think I need to invest in some heavier weight sets for the chest flys and triceps & booty combo if I’m going to continue to do these workouts at home. The 5 pounders felt way too light and I know I can do better. There’s a Play It Again Sports right down the street that I may check out later or I’ll try to hit up Target if they have nothing there. :)

I think for the future I may just hold off on a day and be a day behind on the Tone it Up workouts for my own peace of mind. Part of me likes the surprise, the other part likes knowing what’s ahead so I can plan in advance. ;)

What equipment is your at-home gym made up of? I have a set of 3-lb and a set of 5-lb dumbbells, as well as 10-lb and 15-lb kettlebells, a yoga mat, and some stretchy bands I really have no idea what to do with. :)

1 Sana April 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Humm, would you change your workout plan? Or just do it later?

2 Natalie April 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

Just a suggestion- but you could skip a day, just do your own thing, and then do the scheduled workouts the next day. You may be a day behind the official schedule, but that way you know the workout ahead of time.

3 Meghann April 19, 2012 at 10:19 am

I was thinking about doing this. :)

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’ve got 5lb dumbells, a stability ball, a yoga mat and one stretchy band! Works for me!

5 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming April 19, 2012 at 10:29 am

Mine is just my yoga mat and exercise videos :). We’re going to buy an elliptical soon though for the garage!

6 Allison April 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

We have 5,8,and 15 lb dumbells

7 Lindsey April 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

We have 5&10lb dumbbells, a yoga mat, perfect push up, a few resistant bands, a bench, exercise ball and a medicine ball. I would love a treadmill and body bar too!

8 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 19, 2012 at 10:38 am

I have 5-lb dumbbells, a yoga mat, and a stability ball!

9 Ali @SeeAliEatSeeAliRun April 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

Are your 5 lb weights from Target? I have the 8lb ones from there and they’re the perfect weight. 10lbs is too heavy for what I use them for (mainly workout DVDs and things like your Bikini challenge). I too have a yoga mat and also some bands from my PT

10 Kristen April 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

I had the same problem with the emails and checked my SPAM folder as well, not there. I hope they get it fixed soon cuz it doesn’t take much for me to get off track :(

11 Maria April 19, 2012 at 10:45 am

2 yoga mats, 1 exercise ball, 5lb dumbbells, 8lb dumbbells, 10lb dumbbells, 3-4 resistant bands, & ankle weights.

12 Yellow Haired Girl April 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

I need to get some dumbbells. I have a yoga mat and a resistance band. I also signed up for the Tone It Up Challenge (more so for new ideas on workout routines rather than something I’ll specifically follow) and have stopped receiving the emails too. Hmmm…

13 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

Ugh, I hate it when things like that happen! My at-home gym is a foam roller, yoga mat, those stretch bands, and two yoga videos. I need weights! And someday i would LOVE a treadmill (just not in my studio apartment!)

14 Margaret @ Have A Good Run April 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

I haven’t gotten any emails from them for the past two days…not good. I even signed up again! Still nada. Oh well…

15 meghan April 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

I think they’re shooting an Oakley campaign in the Caribbean, so maybe they’re just not able to get the workouts to the email client manager to send. I’m hoping the emails start coming again when they get back. I’m thinking they will. I think these girls have seen an unforeseeable amount of growth in their followers, and I’m guessing they’re in the process of hiring people to help them manage the programming. As far as I can tell from the time I’ve been involved in it and the feedback and responses from them, they seem to be managing everything themselves at this point. I hope that the growth pains work themselves out soon; I know the bikini challenge last year was fantastic.

16 Jamie in Arkansas April 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

I think I have an entire gym in my workout room! But I like it that way…because then if the weather is bad or I can’t make it to the gym I have no excuses! Ive got:
- treadmill
- elliptical
- bosu
- stability ball
- weights from 8-25 lbs.
- 25 lb. kettlebells
- mat
- bands
- body bar
- reebok step
- lots of DVDs… Bob Harper & Jillian
I’m basically ready to do any workout on demand! Love it!

17 Leslie April 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

I haven’t been getting the emails either so thank you for the link!

My at home gym consists of a stability ball, a yoga mat, a pile of work out DVD’s (the CRUNCH series is amazing!), and some 3 lb, 5lb, 8lb, and 10lb hand weights.

18 michelle m. April 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

not getting my e-mails either :/

19 Cait's Plate April 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

Oooh buckwheat creamy hot cereal?? I need to pick me up some of that!

Bummer about the workout! Hopefully things smooth out after this!

20 Sarah M. April 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

I haven’t been getting the emails either. Something must be wrong with the system. I actually haven’t started the challenge yet and plan to begin the workouts this weekend. I seriously hate toning exercises, so this is going to be tough for me to keep up with.

My home gym is a treadmill, 5-, 8-, and 10-lb weights, 2 resistance bands (left over from PT), an exercise ball (currently deflated) and a yoga mat. I have a few exercise DVDs, but I rarely use them.

21 Sarah M. April 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I guess I spoke too soon because I got an email from TIU at 11:40 am :)

22 Christina April 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

I have not received emails since Tuesday???? I hope they fix this !! Did you email them?

23 Hillary April 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

I was actually going to ask you about the emails this morning; I haven’t gotten any from them since Tuesday. Glad it’s not just me!

24 Hillary April 19, 2012 at 11:29 am

Oh, and to actually answer your question: I have 7.5 lb weights and a mat at home. It does the trick in a pinch!

25 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest April 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

I actually have an entire gym – we have a building/shed (we call it the “shed of pain”) there is not heat or AC in it – it’s a 2,600 sq ft building – we turned one of the rooms into a weight room – we have a reg bench…and a smith machine (squat rack, butterfly, etc) – tons of weights from 2 1/2 lbs to 45 lbs (free weights)…dumb bells all sizes – leg press machine – punching bags….it’s an entire weight room. I’m pretty lucky – no need for me to go to a gym. Only thing our treadmill broke – but I have 6 acres to free roam ;-)

26 Kelly April 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

I had the same frustration with BodyRock.tv. I workout very early in the morning and like to know what I’m doing ahead of time. It was frustrating to me to have to watch the video first, wasting valuable workout time. Now I do them a day or two behind and fit them into my other workout schedules.
I love my home gym and add to it often. Here is my list:
Dumbbells (1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20)
Bands (green and red)
Weighted Gloves
Push-Up Bars
Dip Station
Stability Balls
Yoga Mats
Total Gym
Elliptical

There are still a few items I would like to add but I have to do it gradually so that the husband doesn’t freak.

27 Erin @ GoBananasBlog April 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I found weights were cheaper at Target than play it again sports. Might want to check at both places before buying some.

28 Erin April 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Let’s see, we currently have a treadmill that is pretty old and has been underwater a few times but still works kind of.

We have a set of adjustable dumbbells with 2.5 and 5 pound weights you can swap around so they can be 5, 10 or 15 pounds. We have a cheap-o barbell with 8, 10, and 20 pound weights. We have a small bench, a stability ball, yoga mats, and some static dumbbells in 2, 5 and 8 pounds. Finally both my husband and I have bike trainers to turn our bikes into stationary bikes.

However, when we move in a month our building will have a small gym in it so we’ll be packing up a lot of our stuff and just using the stuff at the gym!

29 Summer April 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

All I have are 10lb- I had to mop the sweat off the mat after the ultimate arm/back toner. KILLER!

30 Kaylin April 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I also am following the Tone it Up workout plan and noticed the same thing! I finally got the email after I got to work this morning (which seemed to be after they posted it on the website). I do follow the trainers on Twitter (which is helpful!) and noticed they were in Puerto Rico for work this week, so am wondering if it has something to do with not being so close to their computers/work?

31 Fiona April 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I didn’t get the workout emails either. I only have some really light dumbells at home so I should really invest in some more to get the most out of those workouts. I used to live in a building with a gym which was awesome.

32 Beka April 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Same problem here. Yesterday I did a track workout since I never got my emails. I did go onto the website and see yesterdays, and I checked it for today’s, but I just got my email for Thursday’s so I guess all your alerting worked! I could invest in a few items for at home, but the gym is 2 miles away, so I guess my monthly dues is investment enough :)

33 Emily N April 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

We have a pretty thorough home gym with 3, 5, 10, 12, 15 lb dumbbells, 2 stretchy bands, a pull up bar (p90x), a 15 lb kettlebell, and a treadmill.

34 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I like to know what my morning workout is before I go to sleep as well. I’d just set yourself back a day :)

I have a workout mat and a few weights, its a pretty sad home gym. That being said, my gym is only a 10 minute walk from my apartment

35 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I have no patience for stuff like that haha … which is why I typically do my own thing, rather than follow a set plan. But in doing so, I don’t really challenge myself like I should … :/

36 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Our “gym” is a treadmill, 5, 10 and 15 pounds weights, 10 lb kettlebell, 8 lb Dynamax ball, various sizes of medicine balls, a few yoga mats and resistance bands. You should use your resistance bands! They are so under utilized in my opinion. No matter what you do you can get a good workout in. Just pull on ‘em!

37 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Two yoga mats, 10lb & 15lb kettlebells, adjustable step, 3lb 5lb 8lb & 10lb dumbbell pairs, exercise ball and resistance bands!

38 Olivia April 19, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I have a yoga mat and some workout DVDs but never use them since I hate at home workouts! I’d love to actually use em some time. I do have a gym membership that I use about 5-6 days per week though so it’s all good. I much prefer the variety of machines and weights and equipment that a gym has. Though I would love to get a set of weights for a home gym some day.

39 andrea April 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Glad it was not just me who was not getting the emails. I kept waiting to see if you posted about them again to get an idea when they might arrive.

40 Kelsey April 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I just go to http://toneitup.com/blog.php and that day’s workout is always up whenever I check in the morning. You might check that too because sometimes I don’t get the emails either or they don’t come until later in the evening.

41 BroccoliHut April 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’ve managed to build up a decent amount of home gym equipment over the years. Right now i have 5lb and 8lb weights, a yoga mat, a stability ball, and some resistance bands that Seth stole from the Duke gym a few years ago. (!) I don’t have any idea what to do with the resistance bands either–occasionally I catch Margot dragging them around the apartment!

42 Katie April 19, 2012 at 11:45 pm

What you could do if the emails continue to be sent later than you’d like is to take a day off from the challenge and be a day behind. So for example, do Thursdays workout on Friday and continue that pattern.